Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fluffwise, I can't say I agree with "Oathbreaker" as the Evil Paladin name. It sort of implies that every Evil Paladin used to be a Good Paladin, but then Fell, as opposed to "A Paladin that was always Evil to begin with", or "A Paladin for an Evil deity". They could have gone with a more origin-neutral name, such as Avenger or Reaver if Anti-Paladin sounded too plainly contrarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If you have to differentiate them with the name, then "good paladin" and "evil paladin"* work fine. I mean, paladins are holy knights. There are evil gods. There are evil holy knights of evil gods.

*and presumably "totally neutral paladin".

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Fluffwise, I can't say I agree with "Oathbreaker" as the Evil Paladin name. It sort of implies that every Evil Paladin used to be a Good Paladin, but then Fell, as opposed to "A Paladin that was always Evil to begin with", or "A Paladin for an Evil deity". They could have gone with a more origin-neutral name, such as Avenger or Reaver if Anti-Paladin sounded too plainly contrarian.

I don't understand what was wrong with "blackguard" that they decided that that was the one of the few things they wouldn't copy paste from 3.x ed.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
Huh.

A Wizard (Necromancy) 6/Paladin (Oathbreaker) 7 can give his undead minions proficiency+charisma to damage.

That's neat I guess.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Red Hood posted:

Huh.

A Wizard (Necromancy) 6/Paladin (Oathbreaker) 7 can give his undead minions proficiency+charisma to damage.

That's neat I guess.

He leads them with a well-choreographed dance number.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

It kinda cool news The Oathbreaker Paladin and Death Domain Cleric preview has been released.

http://ow.ly/i/7qc7s/original

While rather cool I think these should have just been in the Players Handbook.
I think explicitly evil Player Classes is kind of weird to show up in a PHB, but agree Death Domain should have been in there. They have other domains filled with evil deities. Also, there are plenty of good/neutral gods of death, or with death in their portfolio, both within D&D and outside. Kelemvor, Raven Queen, Wee Jas, Osiris, Anubis (whom they mischaracterize there,) Hermes, Dispater, Papa Ghede, and the Hindu Yama.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

I think explicitly evil Player Classes is kind of weird to show up in a PHB, but agree Death Domain should have been in there. They have other domains filled with evil deities. Also, there are plenty of good/neutral gods of death, or with death in their portfolio, both within D&D and outside. Kelemvor, Raven Queen, Wee Jas, Osiris, Anubis (whom they mischaracterize there,) Hermes, Dispater, Papa Ghede, and the Hindu Yama.

Dispater can't be used there given that he is an Archdevil.

Speaking of Archdevils. According to the Monster Manual and Rise of Tiamat, Hell's leadership has changed a bit again. Bel lord of the First has been dethroned and replaced by Zariel ex lord of the First, who Bel had dethroned and replaced. She in turn had replaced Tiamat as ruler of the first at Asmodeus's will.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 1, 2014

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

He leads them with a well-choreographed dance number.

I always wanted to recreate Thriller in D&D.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah but The Necromancy Wizard School is no worse then the Death Domain.

THAN. For gently caress sakes, learn the difference.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Only weakness of the paladin bonus is it's melee weapons only, meaning it removes the ease of use of the archer block

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Rannos22 posted:

I don't understand what was wrong with "blackguard" that they decided that that was the one of the few things they wouldn't copy paste from 3.x ed.

They dropped it in favor of a term people could actually pronounce correctly.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

They dropped it in favor of a term people could actually pronounce correctly.
Shoulda just changed it to Blaggard.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
gently caress YA.

About to do our first dungeon in the new 5th edition mines of phandelver. 4 of my homies and I am DMing using roll 20.

Any newbro tips/suggestions for DMing.

The beer and munchies are already ready to go.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Literally one of the original developers and players of OD&D have quoted that exact fight scene multiple times and gone "Gary loved this and wanted this to happen."

Thanks for providing a reference for this. It's actually pretty interesting.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

vermeul posted:

gently caress YA.

About to do our first dungeon in the new 5th edition mines of phandelver. 4 of my homies and I am DMing using roll 20.

Any newbro tips/suggestions for DMing.

The beer and munchies are already ready to go.

Are you new to roll20? Because if so welcome to hell my friend.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
R20 tips: If you're rolling a lot at once use the in-line roll feature, [[1d20+whatever]] instead of /r 1d20+whatever. Don't forget to make it so that the players have full control over their own tokens. R20's built-in voice can be kind of iffy, have a backup, though the beer and munchies reference makes it sound like you might all be in person and just gathered around a tablet? Unless they're all for you. I think macros are good and I use them all the time when I'm a player, but that's pretty much personal choice. Try and have all the art you want to use uploaded beforehand. If you set characters from the 'Characters' tab to have a default token, you can drag them from the Characters tab onto the field with all of that token information intact.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Rannos22 posted:

Are you new to roll20? Because if so welcome to hell my friend.

Roll20 is loving awesome. There's a bit of a learning curve, but I've been running bi-weekly games on it for like, three years now, so I can get it to do anything I need and then some.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CaptCommy posted:

Roll20 is loving awesome. There's a bit of a learning curve, but I've been running bi-weekly games on it for like, three years now, so I can get it to do anything I need and then some.

About the only thing I'm having trouble with is placing down terrain objects like walls, pieces of cover, or finding ways to mark elevation without just making ugly marks on the map. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the program a lot.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
how to I allow people to control their own tokens in roll20

vvv nevermind I got it

vermeul fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 1, 2014

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Night10194 posted:

About the only thing I'm having trouble with is placing down terrain objects like walls, pieces of cover, or finding ways to mark elevation without just making ugly marks on the map. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the program a lot.

One thing I did was pop into Photoshop and create a straight line Drop Shadow that is 70px long. Then when I lay the map down I toss the Drop Shadow underneath the areas that characters would see. This give it a heightened look, and you could do a drop shadow that is recessed for a lower elevation. I just use the text tool then to drop a tiny number to show how tall it is on the right corner of the tile.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

AlphaDog posted:

*and presumably "totally neutral paladin".

aka Ser Eh, Whatever Man

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Argali posted:

aka Ser Eh, Whatever Man

I was thinking Sir Chillax Détendu.

He's got the shining armour, bright sword, horse with curtains, and he'll totally smite evil tomorrow or something, geez get off my back.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Wasn't there a true neutral paladin variant in 3.5? I vaguely remember its goal being to oppose the alignment extremes (CE, LE, LG, CG).

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

God this is just reminding me how bullshit alignments are and how glad I am that 13th age moved beyond that garbage.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
Woot.

Roll 20 is sweet managed to get all these maps/tokens set up. Really takes at least playing online to the next level.

:2bong:

Loving the starter set adventure in 5th edition

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Allstone posted:

Wasn't there a true neutral paladin variant in 3.5? I vaguely remember its goal being to oppose the alignment extremes (CE, LE, LG, CG).

That is completely stupid. A Neutral Paladin should be totally devoted to a divine cause which lacks all moral elements, like assembling a complete library of cookbooks, maintaining the integrity of a particular chunk of wilderness, promoting mastery of martial skill regardless of what your students will actually do with it, or rocking like a hurricane.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ratoslov posted:

...promoting mastery of martial skill regardless of what your students will actually do with it...

"Here in the Neutral Monastery, you will learn how to punch a man so hard that his children's children are born with cracked ribs."

"But master, when is it right to punch a man so hard that his children's children are born with cracked ribs?"

"Some things are unknowable".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 2, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

"Here in the Neutral Monastery, you will learn how to punch a man so hard that his children's children are born with cracked ribs."

"But master, when is it right to punch a man so hard that his children's children are born with cracked ribs?"

"Some things are unknowable".

"Thus the Solution is to punch everyone. That way we will always crack the ribs of the right people and their descendants."

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

"Thus the Solution is to punch everyone. That way we will always crack the ribs of the right people and their descendants."

That's quite clearly a chaotic evil act. Not punching anyone would probably be some flavor of good. Therefore most neutral act would be to punch yourself to death and hope that convinces your group to ignore all this alignment bullshit after they're forced to wait for you to roll up a new character.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rannos22 posted:

ignore all this alignment bullshit

This. Go with this.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I guess it kinda goes in the catpiss story thread but that line of thought reminds me about the one guy my previous DM used to have who argued with a straight face that, just like killing jew kids, killing baby orcs was justified, because crimes were generational.

gently caress alignment.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Sorry if it's been asked before but is spiritual weapon as good as I think it is? I cast it as a bonus action, then it floats around and can't be affected by anybody while it hands out xd8 of damage and I go about my business. The only downside I can see is it eats up the bonus action.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Mike Mearls is running an AMA right now, if anyone's interested.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Predictably, his answers mostly consist of "It's up to the DM" and "The DM can decide differently."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Ask him what they were smoking with moon druid temp hps. I can't believe that was ever actually tested and signed off on.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ritorix posted:

moon druid temp hps.

Yeah I never looked too closely at this despite it sounding busted, how bad is it?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Pretty busted. To actually get that question answered you would have to phrase it like "did you find class changes late in the process, after public testing had ended, received less scrutiny? For example..."

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I asked why there were no 4e video games. Radio silence so far.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Generic Octopus posted:

Yeah I never looked too closely at this despite it sounding busted, how bad is it?
The gist is: at 2nd level a moon druid can shape shift (bonus action) into a CR1 beast, getting around 30+ HP depending on what you pick. When you drop to 0 HP you revert to your humanoid form with the HP you started with before you shape changed (effectively temp HP).

You can do this twice between short/long rests. So in one combat encounter you can do it twice which gives well north of 60 temp HP

You can also, as a bonus action, spend a spell slot to heal yourself for 1d8 per spell level. So if you plan to go all fur you have an absolute pile of HP to burn through that no other class comes even close to.

The general theme continues as starting at 6th level you can become CR 2 beasts, with +1 CR every 3 levels after that.

EDIT: At 20th level you can wildshape without limit, so pick your favorite CR6 beast and, if there's a ruling that you can spend your action for an additional bonus action, you can come up with some pretty ridiculous scenarios. Charge villagers for the privilege to see you self immolate. Troll big game hunters by turning into a rare epic beast and tiring them out by running in circles and just letting them fill you full of arrows. Etc...

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WilliamAnderson posted:

I asked why there were no 4e video games. Radio silence so far.

Does Atari still have the D&D license? Will there be a Next edition video game even?