Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

pentyne posted:

Doesn't every harem series always have the MC be focused on a docile, kind of quiet semi-subservient traditional Japanese girl while the other options are mixed Japanese, aggressive, or really quirky in some way?

Kind of, though you can probably blame that on visual novels constantly having the boring childhood friend as the "main" heroine which ended up influencing manga and anime over time. The genre itself kind of didn't do that initially considering Urusei Yatsura and Ramna 1/2 were arguably the original harem series, and obviously those two series had very proactive heroines, and you can see their influence on stuff like Tenchi Muyo, Love Hina, and Truthism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Keitaro in Love Hina was pretty fixed on Naru from the start, wasn't he? I haven't really read much harem manga, so that's my only reference.

Or so he thought. Just like way too many others its the "I must find and fall in love with the girl I made the childhood promise to yet don't know who it is" at the expense of ignoring other interesting girls and suddenly conflicted when it seems like the assumed girl may not actually be the right one.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

pentyne posted:

Doesn't every harem series always have the MC be focused on a docile, kind of quiet semi-subservient traditional Japanese girl while the other options are mixed Japanese, aggressive, or really quirky in some way?

Sometimes, yeah. The goal is, as with every diverse cast, to have enough characters that there's always someone to appeal to you, the reader, whoever you might be, and that each character will get enough screen time that you'll keep reading through issues/watching episodes that aren't about the characters you like best. Hence why the main character is usually very bland, to make it easy to insert yourself into their role, and all the secondary character play to type.

In harem stories, the protagonist doesn't have to end up with the quiet shy girl, but it's not unusual. In Ai Yori Aoshi it did, to the surprise of no one. In To Love Ru, it's probably not going to happen because of what went down between the artist and his ex-wife. In Ichigo 100%, it didn't happen which set the bar for interesting-yet-somehow-traditional endings to harem manga. But most often, is it the first girl he meets, a tradition laid down since Urusei Yatsura. This kind of reading also assumes that the ending is the point, rather than ongoing hijinks and confusions, watching the author contort themselves trying to see if they can keep the stack of glasses from crashing to the ground.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 25, 2014

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Whoa, thanks for linking this. I'm one chapter in and already on board.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'll be damned. :vince:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spoilers Below posted:

Perfectly valid argument about Harem / Rom-Com Manga series.

I just hope that, when the endgame comes, people understand that Marika > everyone else. (maybe Seishirou on 2ND)

vvvv e: They're gonna end up together. It's a no-brainer. Besides being consistently funny, both had dynamite VA's in the anime. Yuuki Kaji's was basically perfectly cast as Shuu. That laughter. :allears: vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 26, 2014

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Wark Say posted:

I just hope that, when the endgame comes, people understand that Marika > everyone else. (maybe Seishirou on 2ND)

No arguments here. A pure heart and a direct intention are best!

Though I'll confess I'm also interested in how the Shū/Ruri situation shakes out.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Spoilers Below posted:

Though I'll confess I'm also interested in how the Shū/Ruri situation shakes out.

I'm *more* interested in that than any of the main harem links.

I think it's the decline of Raku's personality that's bugging me. Maybe he just needs some actual screen time where he's being awesome *by himself*.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, is it really that much of a stretch that Raku just wants to be with a non-psychotic girl?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tae posted:

I mean, is it really that much of a stretch that Raku just wants to be with a non-psychotic girl?

It's really not, but that still leaves him with 2 options, Onedera (he can open a sweets shop with her, happily married life) or Yui (marry a head of a major mafia family, continue the criminal empire)

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

It's really not, but that still leaves him with 2 options, Onedera (he can open a sweets shop with her, happily married life) or Yui (marry a head of a major mafia family, continue the criminal empire)
Marika's not psychotic :colbert: see:

Spoilers Below posted:

She's not the one putting Raku at gunpoint or beating him up

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
http://www.mangatown.com/manga/nisekoi_komi_naoshi/c145/

Oh, Shuu, you scamp...

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Shuu rules and the I Love Marika headband is gang tag/banner/whatever-its-called worthy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
A person you like.

Ahahahaha Shu does not mess around.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The aggressive secondary cast of Nisekoi is so delightful. Much like the audience, they will not tolerate any of this mealy mouthed "will they-won't they, who will he choose?" crap.

I also just started the anime, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Different style than the manga, but quite well executed. Like a souped up, funnier, Kare/Kano.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Can't harem manga just split into parallel endings, with several chapters dedicated to each girl's what-if?
Why can't they all win, man?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ahahah, Onodera stabbed Shuu in the mouth with a sandwich and that is probably more deadly than the knife in his forehead. :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Space Flower posted:

Can't harem manga just split into parallel endings, with several chapters dedicated to each girl's what-if?

I read one manga that did that, the only problem was the original story was such aggressive poo poo that I didn't really enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Space Flower posted:

The manga Kimi no Iru Machi actually did this: it had the regular ending, but then had several bonus chapters showing 'what if?' for all of the others. They were all quite short, but it was a nice surprise and I'd like to see if others do it as well.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I feel like Yui chapters are only just above Onodera chapters. :geno:

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Yeah... We've only had a couple, so I'm giving her some leeway, but Yui seems to be just as boring without anybody else to bounce off of as Onodera.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

"Hey poo poo kid, I will give you a warning." is a masterful way to begin a conversation.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Irisize posted:

Yeah... We've only had a couple, so I'm giving her some leeway, but Yui seems to be just as boring without anybody else to bounce off of as Onodera.

Her chapters are better because Raku reacts in fun ways at least. Yui doesn't do much alone.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nise-Koi/Ch-148--Successor?id=213626

Yep, definitely relies on other characters. The chibi ninja's amusing on a Ruri/Shuu level, I will admit.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Ie is like Ruri/Shuu but with power and influence.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Okay yeah, Ie is making this relationship start to pop.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I really like her complete disrespect towards Raku as well. Constantly referring to him as 'poo poo kid' and 'the brat' while she's trying to stitch him up with her boss :allears:

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

HiveCommander posted:

I really like her complete disrespect towards Raku as well. Constantly referring to him as 'poo poo kid' and 'the brat' while she's trying to stitch him up with her boss :allears:

Isn't it a guy?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Ie looks like a girl, but we are talking about something made in Japan after all :v:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Ie prounounced Xe

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The most recent chapter was actually really good.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Grouchio posted:

The most recent chapter was actually really good.

That's what happens when you prominently make it about good characters (Chitoge and Tsugumi) instead of bad ones (Yui)

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Well yeah, the chapter was actually an interesting look into Tsugumi's character rather than "look at how waifu Onodera is."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I love how Raku is impressed as a fellow housewife.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I love how Raku is impressed as a fellow housewife.

The non-main harem members are usually always portrayed as clearly superior to the main girl, but in this case it was more of a "this girl is better then me!" which was comedy gold.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Man, I was actually kinda looking forward to a chapter on "Raku and some random guys" too.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Not gonna lie. The array of :smug: faces made this chapter great for a short while.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hey you never know, maybe this time Onodera will actually be interest- ahahahaha I can't finish that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I was with this chapter right up until the last few pages.

More panels of Raku and Onodera being insufferably awkward towards each other, how fun!

• Locked thread