Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Birds hang around houses with bird feeders.

If it helps, he looks relaxed and happy based on his body language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori fell into the kitchen sink while I was rinsing a mug, got angry when laughed at, then seemed to act like he meant it (by taking a bath, which he never does in that sink)

Now both he and Steve are in Ohtori's cage, but they both want the same perch. Ohtori is sat on it, Steve is clinging to the bars. Whenever Steve is on the perch, Ohtori just shuffles sideways until Steve is pushed off on to the bars again, then moves back over to where he was, enabling Steve to get back on. Repeat until food time.

Also for whatever reason Inko flew/power hovered after me yesterday :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ohtori fell into the kitchen sink while I was rinsing a mug, got angry when laughed at, then seemed to act like he meant it (by taking a bath, which he never does in that sink)

Now both he and Steve are in Ohtori's cage, but they both want the same perch. Ohtori is sat on it, Steve is clinging to the bars. Whenever Steve is on the perch, Ohtori just shuffles sideways until Steve is pushed off on to the bars again, then moves back over to where he was, enabling Steve to get back on. Repeat until food time.

Also for whatever reason Inko flew/power hovered after me yesterday :3:

Your birds are so cute :3:

I'm glad Inko is still making progress, you did A Good Thing rescuing him and you deserve GCC snuggles damnit.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Before:

Right now:

The orange is both for him to eat, and for the nice citrus smell that fills the room when he chews on it :3:

He's got a big egg box attached to the back wall to forage in that isn't really viewable, the lower rope perch leads up to it. The hanging thing at the top back is a ladder (one of those ones for rats etc. that comes with a free little ladder, rope toy, and rope ring attached). I thought it would be good if he wanted to sleep on a perch, because he can grip it easily and it's a platform so supports him and he hopefully wouldn't just fall off. So of course, he still sleeps on the floor under his paper towels, and you still have to put them in every night in the right spots otherwise he bitches loudly until you drop more in that he can crawl under.

...birds

He's cautiously allowing me to pet him a bit when outside his cage again, but would still happily bite given the chance. I really want to reach the pinfeathers on the top of his head but nope. GCC snuggles are apparently still long out of reach :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

You'll get there, I believe in you both!

A friend linked this to me:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's taken far too long for me to work this out but my budgies have been going absolutely nuts at 9am on the dot every day, shrieking and flapping and being noisy as hell drama queens and then today I figured it out. My alarm turns my radio on at 7am, then it auto turns off 2 hours later. Today I turned the radio back on again and they settled right back down again. They like BBC radio 2.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
My buddy has been hanging out with Fry and I for a while and became quite smitten with Fry and vice versa. Buddy lives alone with no pets and found the cutest most adorablest sun conure who was in need of a home on Craigslist. Burd (currently no real name was named Gummy Bear but doesn't respond to it) is a year and a half old. Was owned by a couple who fought a lot and the man in the relationship yelled a lot, yelled at Burd, and basically antagonized the little fella Til the wife rehomed him w her mom. Mom had two dogs and had Burd two months but feared one dog who was rather aggressive towards Burd would hurt him. So she put him up for adoption with a large bird mansion.

I went with my buddy on the Burd meet and greet mission. Burd seemed to really like me and was hesitant/shy towards my male friend. Mom is an indoor smoker, cage was kinda funky, but otherwise Burd seemed fairly social and healthy and my friend really liked him so Burd came home w him. Burd is already on pellet diet, as soon as we got him home I scrubbed his cage, rearranged his perches for better use of space, rehung his sad toys. I don't drive so I was left behind while my friend went to grab us some dinner. While my friend was gone, Burd mumbled into my ear and let me fix his pesky pin feathers and was generally pretty sweet for having such a big day.

When I got dropped home I sent my friend home with some toys and a non broken food dish, so Burd won't be eating off the floor of his cage for now. Today we went out and got him some nicer new toys and this weekend we are going to the BIRD SHOW (yay) to see about perches and toys and general bird stuff. I stopped by my friends house after school today. He seemed excited to see us, well, me, he kinda still makes alarm bird noises at my friend. So I thought it might be better if I wasn't there so Burd and friend can bond. My friend is a little hesitant about being bitten still and Burd is still hesitant that my friend is a guy. From what I heard abt this evening, he lets my friend feed him, put hand in the cage to fiddle with hanging toys and food, tried some nutriberries that my broken bird thinks are poison. No real aggression. Burd really likes music so my friend played the piano for him, talked to him, basically just hung out and let Burd chill in his cage. Hopefully Burd will adjust to him soon enough.

A couple questions though:
-is there any way to make this easier on this pair? Should I stay away or go visit?

-bird was in a smoky home and doesn't like water in the sink, but it's still warm here should we mist him?

-general sun conure tips?

-and Burd is flighted, full wings should we take him to the vet and get him clipped? Pretty much strategy for Burd right now is fly the hell away from the man. Nobody wants to upset him by taking his exit strategy, but my friend is worried about escaping and dive bomb attacks. He did bite my friend once like that, but I think it was my fault, because we were still at moms house and I tried to make Burd step up from mom, Burd wasn't having it and took it out on my friend.

I will post pics as soon as I'm at a real computer, but in the meantime advice as always is appreciated.

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

zbeezy posted:

-and Burd is flighted, full wings should we take him to the vet and get him clipped? Pretty much strategy for Burd right now is fly the hell away from the man. Nobody wants to upset him by taking his exit strategy, but my friend is worried about escaping and dive bomb attacks.

They can just trim Burd's flight feathers so Burd can't really get loft, but can flutter away if need be. This is what my mom used to do with her jenday conure, so she couldn't really fly away, but wouldn't hurt herself trying, either.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

It's been a while, but I have something of a status update. First of all, Myrtille seems to be over whatever intestinal infection he had, so now the cage is staying cleaner for much longer :)

Second, Myrtille fell from one of his perches and broke one of his little birdy fingers. I think his wings were clipped before he learned to fly. He's a real klutz and is pretty wobbly in general. In any case, its my fault cause I put his perches too high in his cage (which is high, the ceiling is at least 2-3 feet from the floor of the cage), I thought he could fly better than he can. I've lowered all his perches to about 1 inch off the floor and staggered them so he has less trouble climbing them.

Finally, Myrtille now willingly steps up on to my finger (though he does run a bit when I first bring my finger up to him, but that's ok right?). I try to have him step-up on my finger and step-down on perches 10 times a day to get him more used to stepping up. He's getting really good about it. I also had him out of his cage for 10 minutes last night (he was pretty scared most of the time, but I think he calmed down enough to take a look around). I've also been able to give him scritches a couple of times, but it really depends on his mood. The night before he broke one of his fingers, he was climbing on the wall of his cage and I was able to stroke his beakfeathers, and he was holding still for it and closing his eyes :)

Citron is still pretty shy about my hands, though he's showing good signs (like hopping on the ledge of his cage door for a minute or two to get a look at me when I'm hanging out with them with their cage open). Myrtille has always been the docile one between the two, which is probably why I've made so much progress with him. When I had to grab them to switch them between cages, Myrtille would never bite, while citron would get so freaked out sometimes he'd bite, saw, and one time he latched on and refused to let go. That being said, I've only had him bite me when I cornered and grabbed him in his cage though. I've taken to using a paper towel to catch him now (if I need to). Anyway, I've not been working with him as much as I should be, but I'm going to start working on that again soon.

The two of them are very happy though. Citron cheeps loudly when I move out of sight, and the two seem to be really happy when I'm home. I need to buy them a nice, energy efficient radio they can listen to while I'm gone at school and work so they'll be happier, and I need to start feeding them millet every day again. I really love my birdies :).

I'll post pictures and videos soon.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Amadeus followed me into the shower today, which he hasn't done for a while. :3: Hi wetbirb.

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.
I've been thinking a lot about getting a second budgie today. I've been outta work for a long while now, and I've reached the point of my rehabilitation/therapy where I want to start thinking about/have made arrangements regarding starting volunteer work, with an eye to getting back to "real" work after that. I live alone, so the plan was always to find a companion for Chuffy if/when I went back to work. But I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to do so well in advance. That way, I'll have plenty of time to hang out with the new boodge before going back to work, so we can get to know another like I have with Chuffy. Because obviously the second budgie would be a member of our "household" in his own right, not just a distraction to dump in Chuffy's cage to keep him happy.

I'm not particularly worried about Chuffy losing interest in me or anything; he's pretty independent as it is. Even with his cage doors open all day, he usually stays in, around or on his cage, playing with his toys. We sing and whistle at each-other, and he calls to me if I leave the room, but he's not really much interested in like physically hanging out with me. He's not afraid of me or anything. He'll eat treats from my hand, and always steps up if he's already made his way out of his cage (he almost always refuses to step up if he's IN or ON his cage, though). He's always happy to have me sit down next to him and hang out if he's sat outside on his carousel. I think he'd really like having another boodge around. He was very interested in Iro when I bird-sat her, and he always frantically responds to anything that sounds even remotely like another bird. My main worry is that he's very attached to his cage and his toys. I dunno if he'd like having to share his space and toys. I'd like to get a bigger cage for both boodges, but I don't know how he'd take to a new friend, a new cage AND having to share his toys.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

What can I do with a (wild) cockatoo who's really friendly, walks up to me, doesn't back off at all when I go near, and is very eager to eat whatever food I offer - yet bites the goddamn christ out of my finger whenever I directly offer him food? I even feed him out of a cup and he's fine, munch, munch, crunch and he's bit me again :argh:

I guess I could just not hand-feed that particular bird but he's not shy or aggressive, just an rear end.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I would continue hand offering him food. See who tough it out. Does the bird get tired of biting you or does your finger become a gnarled mess of flesh and bone?

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Here's a couple of things I could do with some advice on.

First, a lot of guides I read are suggesting I quarantine any new birds I want to introduce for a month. I'm not quite sure how I'd go about this. My flat is kinda small, but with a spacious living room, which is where Chuffy hangs out and I spend pretty much all my time other than sleeping and what-have-you. I could keep a second budgie in my room, but it wouldn't be very pleasant for him. The room has very little natural light, and is kinda cramped. Currently a lot of Chuffy's out-of-cage time is while I'm drawing at my computer, so new boodge wouldn't be able to benefit from that in the same way. Plus my bedroom and living room are seperated by my extremely drafty hallway, so keeping doors open between Chuffy and new boodge so they can at least chatter to one-another when they're in their cages is kinda out, especially at this time of year. It probably doesn't change anything but new boodge would most likely come from the same breeder as Chuffy.

Secondly, I of course would like to eventually have both boodges living in the same cage. Is Chuffy's current cage big enough for that? He's in one of these: http://www.northernparrots.com/okran-top-opening-small-bird-cage-prod952105/

quote:

Dimensions
Width 40cm (15.75")
Depth 30cm (15.75")
Height 58cm (22.75")
Bar Spacing 15mm

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Only thing I can answer you on is the cage thing, no, that's too small. I have two juvenile budges in a large cage, looks to be the same height as that one but about double the width, and they are surprisingly active with the wing flapping and the play chasing each other from perch to perch. It also means I can fit one of those wooden hanging toys and a swinging perch and it still gives them enough room to stretch their wings.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Small birds are always difficult; do you treat them like songbirds and serve whole a la ortolan, or more like a game hen with whole roasting being the best course? In the case of cockatiels I suspect the bones would be a little too robust to consume without serious laceration, so I'd advocate stuffing with fines herbes and some citrus, preferably lemon or buddha's hand.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I think broiling one's pet cockatoo alive is probably cathartic, although getting him to hold still while you season him is probably going to be difficult.

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Only thing I can answer you on is the cage thing, no, that's too small. I have two juvenile budges in a large cage, looks to be the same height as that one but about double the width, and they are surprisingly active with the wing flapping and the play chasing each other from perch to perch. It also means I can fit one of those wooden hanging toys and a swinging perch and it still gives them enough room to stretch their wings.

I was afraid of that. Do you know what model yours is? Seems like every bigger budgie cage I look at grows upwards rather than outwards.

FAKE EDIT: Looking at a couple now. One of them is a little bigger and more expensive than the other but more importantly is open-top. Of course, they're both wider than the space Chuffy's current cage occupies, so I need to ask myself if I'm willing to get rid of people furniture in order to accommodate a bigger budgie cage okay so I'm totally willing to do that. I never liked that loving armchair anyway.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bartolimu posted:

Small birds are always difficult; do you treat them like songbirds and serve whole a la ortolan, or more like a game hen with whole roasting being the best course? In the case of cockatiels I suspect the bones would be a little too robust to consume without serious laceration, so I'd advocate stuffing with fines herbes and some citrus, preferably lemon or buddha's hand.

Given the quality of the meat cockatiels just aren't worth the price. I'd recommend a stew using budgies or zebra finches.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I got mine from a local pet shop for £48, basic but fully assembled and it's also open topped. Amazon have a few budgie cage stands if you want to pay a premium when this exists: http://www.tesco.com/direct/collin-desk/199-3617.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=199-3617

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
My sister's derp Boggle is special, even for a cockatiel. Today he found a nice reflective surface

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiexkGImc7o

He then became so enraptured with his reflection that he was frozen in place staring at it silently for literally minutes until his brain was manually reset by being forcefully removed.

:derptiel:

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
It is November 3rd! Happy Zippy-versary to me and my best friend. Here's to two years with the creature whom I can't imagine life without. Whom I haul everywhere, sometimes against her will, but would prefer the coldest backpack ride to being left behind. To the bird who wins hearts everywhere, and is infinitely more popular than I am when we go out, here's to more quality years together.

Thank you for your advice in the beginning bird crazies, and still listening to my random thoughts two whole years later!

(She and I shared a carrot muffin for breakfast)

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008
We are almost done with antibiotics here and I feel like a monster every time I have to give them :(. But my budgie healed up nicely, his scab finally fell off and his chest isn't dark purple bruise colored anymore. I still feel relieved that we got off so easy. The cats do not appreciate their new lives being kicked out of the living room in the evenings (only three couches to lay around on in the rest of the house, the horror).

Also, presented without comment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC4prebkpv8

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Wonderful. :allears:

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

My sister's derp Boggle is special, even for a cockatiel. Today he found a nice reflective surface

He then became so enraptured with his reflection that he was frozen in place staring at it silently for literally minutes until his brain was manually reset by being forcefully removed.

Reminds me of Chuffy playing with the internal camera on my 3DS

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Tsaedje posted:

The question is, who is that handsome fellow?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Eejit posted:

The question is, who is that handsome fellow?

Whoever he is he's a baby boy a pretty baby boy and possibly a baby baby Boggle.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Just checking but everyone else talks to their bird like they're a baby, right?

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

mikerock posted:

A baby that will lunge towards the shiny in your mouth if you stick your tongue out at it for too long, yes.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

I made almost the exact same noise you (assuming it's you) did at almost the exact same time at the moment of impact.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mikerock posted:

I switch between babytalk and talking to him like he's my peer, which is easily the worst/most embarrassing habit I picked up from living alone with my birds.

I also spend a lot of time making fun of him when he's bitching about something totally inconsequential. Yes Ama I know, I went into the kitchen without you for twenty whole seconds, you're so neglected, poor abused lonely bird, poor bird without any friends at all, the horror.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I switch between babytalk and talking to him like he's my peer, which is easily the worst/most embarrassing habit I picked up from living alone with my birds.

I also spend a lot of time making fun of him when he's bitching about something totally inconsequential. Yes Ama I know, I went into the kitchen without you for twenty whole seconds, you're so neglected, poor abused lonely bird, poor bird without any friends at all, the horror.
I pretty much do the same to both of mine.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I should talk to mine more, but I'm a quiet person in general and I can't think of what to say. :(

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

chthonic bell posted:

I should talk to mine more, but I'm a quiet person in general and I can't think of what to say. :(

Whistle! Chuffy loves it when I whistle to and with him.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Our favorite is "It sure is tough being a green bird. I don't know HOW you handle it." It used to be "tough being a bird," but Nugget is a bird and never bitches so it must have to do with being green, right? Right?

Upon reflection, I babytalk to Nugget and mostly just tease Ozzy. I give preferential treatment, I am a bad petowner :ohdear:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I make up conversations between my birds and me by giving their side a high, cutesy voice and am very thankful I live alone.

"Bitch, I will cut you! I know where you sleep!" is Mamacita's favorite phrase.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

When Scout is complaining about nothing our standard response is "It's not easy being green!" a la Kermit the Frog

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

Lenswork posted:

It is November 3rd! Happy Zippy-versary to me and my best friend. Here's to two years with the creature whom I can't imagine life without. Whom I haul everywhere, sometimes against her will, but would prefer the coldest backpack ride to being left behind. To the bird who wins hearts everywhere, and is infinitely more popular than I am when we go out, here's to more quality years together.

Thank you for your advice in the beginning bird crazies, and still listening to my random thoughts two whole years later!

(She and I shared a carrot muffin for breakfast)

Oh my god that backpack/carrier is amazing! Happy birdaversary to you both.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

My favorite was when Fred learned to chirp back during my pauses so it sounded like he was actually talking to me. I'd lean over and look at him and go, "Does Marcellus Wallace look like a bitch?" and he'd chirp. Then I'd say, "We gonna hire some hard pipe-hittin motherfuckers aint we" and he'd chirp. I'm just glad nobody else walked in during those conversations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

bassguitarhero posted:

My favorite was when Fred learned to chirp back during my pauses so it sounded like he was actually talking to me. I'd lean over and look at him and go, "Does Marcellus Wallace look like a bitch?" and he'd chirp. Then I'd say, "We gonna hire some hard pipe-hittin motherfuckers aint we" and he'd chirp. I'm just glad nobody else walked in during those conversations

Max says "Hi" all the time despite the fact that we've usually been in the room for hours.
"Say Hi again, I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker, say Hi one more goddamn time," is something I've actually said to him.