Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Sleepflower posted:

They're more portable and I guess not having a headstock means less breakage and easier manufacture but I don't know if that was reflected in the price.

I think you know the answer to this.

alright let me try again, is there such thing as a cheap steinberger i can buy that isn't bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ThePutty posted:

alright let me try again, is there such thing as a cheap steinberger i can buy that isn't bad

They make a $400 one. Whether it is worth buying, I don't know.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Dirt posted:

Mockingbirds are pretty cool looking IMO. The headstock is kinda wonky though. Never played one though.

Yeah, I dig the Eagle design myself.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

This might have been posted, even recently, but I didn't see it flicking through the thread. One of these just appeared for sale locally and seems relevant to recent discussions:

Definitely not my thing but ya.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 3, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

muike posted:

i'm going to say the same thing isaid to you last time you mentioned not doing that: you're a fucken retard mate lmao

that finish is awesome

i will continue to bring it up every time blackmachine is brought up because it is my eternal shame. i have the quote framed on my wall (i don't)

muike posted:

i always thought it was weird when i watched buzzcocks that "garage" did not refer to grungey garage bands and instead really bad brit hip hop

nah nah nah, what you're thinking of is grime, which comes from british bass music, including garage. garage is an offshoot of jungle, the progenitor of drum and bass, dub and uk house and is pretty good. its sub genre offshoot of 2 step led to grime and dub step. also its loving great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsOVED4u8aI

muike posted:

i'm obviously not the most well educated on the subject but english rap seems liek the most hilarious and retarded thing in the world

grime is also great, you gotta go into it not expecting straight up hip hop though, it comes from the electronic music scene and is hype as gently caress

http://youtu.be/OZ6G7qwjom4?t=1m57s

you do get regular hip hop over here too which is much like the american stuff

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sleepflower posted:

This might have been posted, even recently, but I didn't see it flicking through the thread. One of these just appeared for sale locally and seems relevant to recent discussions:

You should look into getting this because for some reason the acrylic mockingbirds are heavier than a non-chambered LP.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ThePutty posted:

steinberger spirit GM models look good imo and are cheap and by many accounts quite solid. they are the ones with the super strat body shape

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

muike posted:

steinberger spirit GM models look good imo and are cheap and by many accounts quite solid. they are the ones with the super strat body shape

The new Steinberger's are kind of over-priced for what they are imo (I think Gibson makes them now, or at least holds the license), the vintage ones are great guitars though (the Ed Roman "world town" incident I posted aeons ago happened when I was trying to source a replacement bridge for a Steinberger restoration), some people hate them though.

I dedicate this video to the new thread title;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO5GWJJP3FM

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
I thought a new thread title was due, but was hoping for monkeygrip tone dickhole references tbh

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

muike posted:

i googled steinberger GM and i found this

it's enough to give dr. faustus a heart attack

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Stux posted:

i will continue to bring it up every time blackmachine is brought up because it is my eternal shame. i have the quote framed on my wall (i don't)

nah nah nah, what you're thinking of is grime, which comes from british bass music, including garage. garage is an offshoot of jungle, the progenitor of drum and bass, dub and uk house and is pretty good. its sub genre offshoot of 2 step led to grime and dub step. also its loving great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsOVED4u8aI

grime is also great, you gotta go into it not expecting straight up hip hop though, it comes from the electronic music scene and is hype as gently caress

http://youtu.be/OZ6G7qwjom4?t=1m57s

you do get regular hip hop over here too which is much like the american stuff

Y'all forgot donk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckMvj1piK58

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

You should look into getting this because for some reason the acrylic mockingbirds are heavier than a non-chambered LP.

Bought a new bass head today, so that's not happening. Plus I've only got the one padded strap which is on my greco LP, which has weird strap buttons that make it really hard to remove.

ThePutty posted:

All I see is two hands spreading apart a really large nutsack.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleepflower posted:

Ah yes the slimer guitar

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

nah thats more like, i dunno, happy hardcore/hard house/hard techno whatever. not really related beyond having its deep roots in raves and uk house.

thats right, I'm taking you posting put a donk on it seriously

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Sleepflower posted:

All I see is two hands spreading apart a really large nutsack.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

ThePutty posted:

its a floyd rose double wedgie

e: naybe not actual floyd but I don't care

e: poo poo. nutsack post is way funnier

pfs Write fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 3, 2014

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

ThePutty posted:

The Steinberger Spirit isn't bad for what it is, which is an extremely compact travel guitar. That, a headphone amp and headphones is a decent take-anywhere practice setup.

Whether you want to be seen in public playing it might depend on whether or not you are Allan Holdsworth.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
been staring at this. literally no reason to buy it. idk. does anyone here have one though?
http://www.rondomusic.com/CETIp90gold.html

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Fax Sender posted:

been staring at this. literally no reason to buy it. idk. does anyone here have one though?

It would be cooler if it had 3 P90s.

Seems nice enough though.

Edit : so this is no longer the ugly guitars thread?? :(

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fax Sender posted:

No idea what these are like, but It'd be fun to replace one of those tone pots with a blend and put a push/pull in to switch between series and parallel.

Also if you do get it, SHIELD EVERYTHING.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dirt posted:

the true secret is every guitar thread is an ugly guitars thread

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
I don't like the headstocks rondo uses

Petty I know but it's a deal breaker for me

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

I really want the similar red one Agile do, or at least did when I was looking a year or so back.

Also I can't say I like the new title... It doesn't make the topic clear, which is important, for a title.

e: On searching through rondomusic, it looks like they don't do them in that color scheme any more :negative:

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 3, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Absalom Baird posted:

i dont blame you. im used to it by now, but the sx headstocks particularly are dumb looking.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fax Sender posted:

I couldn't resist picking one up when I saw the exact one I had been lusting for listed as a b-stock. Came in nearly flawless condition and plays great. I tried putting flatwounds on there and it's a cool woody sound but I've been meaning to change it up to something brighter.

e: oh you linked to a Douglas Ceti, not an Agile Harm, I forgot they were doing those versions. It's probably an ok instrument with strong as milk pickups.

Manky fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 3, 2014

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Dirt posted:

I thought it was supposed to be the ugly music instruments thread, just guitars outnumber the ugly keyboard and drum posts several thousand to one. Kind of makes you think...

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Absalom Baird posted:

Same for these and Epiphones. :negative:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Looks like an IT Crowd prop.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Aoi-chan posted:

I thought it was supposed to be the ugly music instruments thread, just guitars outnumber the ugly keyboard and drum posts several thousand to one. Kind of makes you think...
people should poast more ugly keyboards imo

edit: req. for ugly custom-painted Amiga 1200s and Atari STs

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

Looks like an IT Crowd prop.

I like the EFF sticker next to the goatse-hole.

I WILL FIGHT PLAY BAD 'IRONIC' MUSIC FOR MY FREEDOM TO POST GOATSE.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

muike posted:

I had one of these in the late 90s http://www.steinberger.com/GTPROSTD.html and haaaaaated it, it didn't give any of what I thought I was getting a Steinberger for (sustain? Bowie cred? I dunno) and just sounded brassy and charmless as gently caress. Stayed in tune like a mofo but everything that came out of it was somehow irritating.

That line was just wood bodies cut in the Steinberger shape made and sold by Gibson though and not the graphite carbon fiber composite that basically made a Steinberger a Steinberger, so after the fact I wasn't surprised. It was like buying a Chevette with body panels shaped like a Corvette and then being surprised it didn't handle so well. In retrospect I should have maybe picked up on the fact that they were being clearanced out less than half price was not a good omen, but it was the 90s and I was a dumb kid.

Even as compact travel guitars go I have one of these http://www.travelerguitar.com/electric/item/eg-1-standard now and it's way more playable, lighter, and less poo poo sounding than the Spirit.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'm Crap posted:

people should poast more ugly keyboards imo

I was offered one of these as part payment for a guitar once, kind of bummed it didn't work out.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ThePutty posted:

Just got back from the mountains a little while ago. I'm sorry I didn't keep up with the thread but I wanted to have a hatred-free experience for a few days.
Anyway, I'm back to answer whatever questions you have.

A) When I was a kid I watched Van Halen Live Without a Net and I wanted a trans-trem Steinberger (sp?) so bad. Then Michael Hedges came along and said, "gently caress you Eddie, you stupid rocker, this is what you do with a trans-trem!" (See links at the bottom of the post, please.)
Personally, though,my first stringed instrument was a Lotus bass with a 'berger licensed trem and buying double-ball-end strings for it was a nightmare. Not worth it, guitar or bass.

B) The freight trains that run by the inn where we stay on vacation are oddly soothing, but I'm not much into trains in general. They don't matter much to me except when I see CSX ads on TV saying, "Hey, we move tons of freight on 1 gallon of gas for 100 miles" or some such bullshit I cringe. Freight is my day job and they are just pulling numbers out of their asses to impress people. That said, rail is a good way to move large loads, it's just too bad they keep blowing up small towns with their lovely regulations and old-rear end tanker cars.

C) Is there a C? I recommended the Pacifica to Gnarly based on his preferences with a couple caveats: lovely stock pickups, and string-spacing. I did not go into Squires, Teles, or any form of (Gibson) 24 and 3/4" scale guitars because the quality is really hit-or-miss and I don't like the short scale at all.

Lastly, Sleepflower said something about this guitar growing on him and you guys spoiled it. Well, that isn't fair.
It's on the front page four times and I'm gonna remind you why I think it's awesome:

It's a JEM, with most of the best JEM appoinments, and some that didn't exist when the first JEMs came out (e.g. the all-access-neck.)
It plays like a JEM, but with an even cooler five-piece neck with a volute.
It takes the now retro JEM and makes it cooler retro by finishing it in Seafoam Green, which I know from many posters in this thread is pretty popular, and is even cooler still by having the Vine inlay in SFG as well. Add in the pearloid pickguard and you've got one very appealing guitar. It's still light, has great tone, has a stupid handle that's fun but can be ignored; and it's just hot.

Sleepflower posted:

Faustus is fine for serious stuff tbh (and really, there aren't many guitarists out there who won't give you a decent answer for that question), he just... doesn't have the measure of this thread.

Or maybe I am the measure of this thread?

gnarlyhotep posted:

Also I think you guys are way too hard on Faustus, his heart is in the right place, he was very nice to me in PMs.
Please, don't. It's not worth it.

Added Michael Hedges Trans-Trem (please listen, music really was better when he was alive):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqUGC11NFeM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kZeUNXuoYA

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 3, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What's up with this wacky thread title :confused:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Snowy posted:

What's up with this wacky thread title :confused:

Don't know. This thread was much better... in the good old days.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr. Faustus posted:

Just got back from the mountains a little while ago. I'm sorry I didn't keep up with the thread but I wanted to have a hatred-free experience for a few days.
Anyway, I'm back to answer whatever questions you have.

A) When I was a kid I watched Van Halen Live Without a Net and I wanted a trans-trem Steinberger (sp?) so bad. Then Michael Hedges came along and said, "gently caress you Eddie, you stupid rocker, this is what you do with a trans-trem!" (See links at the bottom of the post, please.)
Personally, though,my first stringed instrument was a Lotus bass with a 'berger licensed trem and buying double-ball-end strings for it was a nightmare. Not worth it, guitar or bass.

B) The freight trains that run by the inn where we stay on vacation are oddly soothing, but I'm not much into trains in general. They don't matter much to me except when I see CSX ads on TV saying, "Hey, we move tons of freight on 1 gallon of gas for 100 miles" or some such bullshit I cringe. Freight is my day job and they are just pulling numbers out of their asses to impress people. That said, rail is a good way to move large loads, it's just too bad they keep blowing up small towns with their lovely regulations and old-rear end tanker cars.

C) Is there a C? I recommended the Pacifica to Gnarly based on his preferences with a couple caveats: lovely stock pickups, and string-spacing. I did not go into Squires, Teles, or any form of (Gibson) 24 and 3/4" scale guitars because the quality is really hit-or-miss and I don't like the short scale at all.

Lastly, Sleepflower said something about this guitar growing on him and you guys spoiled it. Well, that isn't fair.
It's on the front page four times and I'm gonna remind you why I think it's awesome:

It's a JEM, with most of the best JEM appoinments, and some that didn't exist when the first JEMs came out (e.g. the all-access-neck.)
It plays like a JEM, but with an even cooler five-piece neck with a volute.
It takes the now retro JEM and makes it cooler retro by finishing it in Seafoam Green, which I know from many posters in this thread is pretty popular, and is even cooler still by having the Vine inlay in SFG as well. Add in the pearloid pickguard and you've got one very appealing guitar. It's still light, has great tone, has a stupid handle that's fun but can be ignored; and it's just hot.

Or maybe I am the measure of this thread?

Please, don't. It's not worth it.

Added Michael Hedges Trans-Trem (please listen, music really was better when he was alive):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqUGC11NFeM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kZeUNXuoYA

faustus what do you think about trains?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

faustus what do you think about trains?

quote:

Aw, SM, I can't let you down:
I don't think about trains except when I see them. That is, once a year on vacation, and several times a night on TV talking about how ecological they are.
Is there another train-related question you have for me? I do have video I could take a picture from this weekend if you want to see a train I video-recorded for my family.

Would you like that, Senor-lover de Hispanolas?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 4, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Dr Faustus why are you so intent on making yourself a martyr in a 'post bad instruments' thread on internet forum for your love of pointy guitars?

I'm going to type it out again in bold.

Dr Faustus why are you so intent on making yourself a martyr in a 'post bad instruments' thread on internet forum for your love of pointy guitars?

Look how ridiculous that is. It's more than likely one of the dumbest things I've ever typed out and I typed it out twice. You are having a self-induced, slow motion meltdown. It's weird man. It's really, really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

White Dog Eggs posted:

I'm going to type it out again in bold.

Look how ridiculous that is. It's more than likely one of the dumbest things I've ever typed out and I typed it out twice. You are having a self-induced, slow motion meltdown. It's weird man. It's really, really weird.

I'm not unused to self-reflection. Last year, the answer was because I was certain (and still believe) this was a call-out thread and I was so drunk I didn't feel the wind change when GBS became FYAD. I take full responsibility for everything that happened, then and since.

But now, I think this is may favorite thread ever. If you look at it, you'll figure out why; but only if you can compare/contrast my posting to other sub-forums.

Why are you so intent on making yourself an aggressor in a "hate someone else's beloved instruments" thread?

I'm going to type that out again in bold italic underline strikethrough:

Why are you so intent on making yourself an aggressor in a "hate someone else's beloved instruments" thread?

• Locked thread