Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My brother came over yesterday so he could swap winter tires onto his Accord. Last month he had a local shop do his brakes at all four corners. They cross-threaded one of his lugnuts back on (because let's use an impact on everything!) and I snapped the stud off. Like, right away. "Hmm, this is kind of hard to - SNAP."

Dammit anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Viggen posted:

..but you suck one dick buy one SAAB, and..

There isn't the bullshit posturing here that many other forums have, too- and I love that. Sockington, Ken, and the rest of the insanity may often be held in awe- but don't have their special little clique where they'll sit on their thrones of rust and sneer down on somebody who just rounded a lugnut by being a fucktard.

Dear god that is bad in the classic euro communities.

e: i still can't speel

I barely rate mention outside of the OEM/modified tech groups on the actual XJ/MJ forums I'm on. What I do here is literally nothing in those communities. Which is a large part of why I'm not too sure why people think I really know all that much, I'm still learning.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 205 days!)

goatse guy posted:

Nope, but I will probably be in Nevada in January. I'll be sure to pack my cat ears. ;-*

Oh god I think we have a furry convention around then. You'll be safe, though- I don't think furries like girls.

I used to think peatmimps' detailing was anal. Then I looked inwards. Jesus, this is bad. I made this so I could paint the wiper arms without freezing my rear end off. Yes, I ran wire through the front so I could 'hook and hold' for it to dry. I didn't paint the plastic shroud for the rear window grabber- I just overdosed it with Back2Black.

kastein posted:

I barely rate mention outside of the OEM/modified tech groups on the actual XJ/MJ forums I'm on. What I do here is literally nothing in those communities. Which is a large part of why I'm not too sure why people think I really know all that much, I'm still learning.

Its because you are helpful and you come up with interesting ways to tackle a problem that many people wouldn't think of- at least not while sober. Yet, I'm already digressing. You have the 'gently caress it, fix it' attitude that is sorely missing in this last generation. That goes a long way, since you demystify a lot of the "wait what?" parts.

Anyhow, here is the Chebby, mangs.

Minor crunch on driver door.

Clean profile.

F3250 that went for 6k that I was going to bid less than a third on- in background.

Overall, a decent truck. May need to rent a better means to steam clean the interior, but it isn't bad. Just dirty.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 3, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

96-00 5.7 has 255 hp/330 ft lbs, a full 55 hp/30 ft lbs over the 1995 - so I'm going to assume it has the spider injection.

Yep, the L31 Vortec got a biiiig power boost over the old TBI 350. The heads on the Vortec are some of the best factory GenI smallblock heads ever (especially for the money), but everything about the fuel injection setup they came with is garbage.

It's a big part of why you see next to no L31-swapped vehicles, even though it should be easier than a LS1 and they're just as common / cheap.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Viggen posted:

Oh god I think we have a furry convention around then. You'll be safe, though- I don't think furries like girls.

I have no plans yet, just a desire to go somewhere cheap and warm. However, I don't think I want to spend my vacation in the horrifying depths of depravity.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep, the L31 Vortec got a biiiig power boost over the old TBI 350. The heads on the Vortec are some of the best factory GenI smallblock heads ever (especially for the money), but everything about the fuel injection setup they came with is garbage.

It's a big part of why you see next to no L31-swapped vehicles, even though it should be easier than a LS1 and they're just as common / cheap.

Don't those use the same center-point-injection setup as the later 4.3s? gently caress that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fucknag posted:

Don't those use the same center-point-injection setup as the later 4.3s? gently caress that.

Yep, the 'spider'. :barf:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What the loving poo poo, REALLY?

That looks like something VW would come up with, not a "this costs ten cents more than nothing, so we're going to use nothing" GM product.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

goatse guy posted:

I have no plans yet, just a desire to go somewhere cheap and warm. However, I don't think I want to spend my vacation in the horrifying depths of depravity.

Reno is cheap, but hardly warm. It is maybe 40 degrees out, and is getting colder tomorrow. Depths of depravity? You need California for that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Best part is how it works. Early systems (around 92) had one big injector, that supplied fuel pressure to the 6 or 8 plastic hoses you see in the picture. Those hoses had a poppet valve on the manifold end, that relied on line pressure to open the valve and spray fuel into the runner. It was a batch-fire system.

Later units had a central bank of injectors (I think IOC's picture is this style) like a coilpack, so you could have sequential injection... but using the same head-up-rear end retarded delivery system to get it to the ports. :downs:

The most German design to ever come from an American manufacturer, imo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

What the loving poo poo, REALLY?

That looks like something VW would come up with, not a "this costs ten cents more than nothing, so we're going to use nothing" GM product.

And in case you didn't realize where all of that poo poo sits... it's inside the motherfucking plenum.

That's the throttle body mount / gasket top and front on the near manifold there.

I honestly don't know what the gently caress they were thinking with this setup, and it's not like they'd never done port injection on this engine before. This is eleven years newer than the TPI setup, and yet it's worse across the board. I think the only advantage this design has is that it's not batch-fire like the TPI, but it's not like they couldn't have changed that.

poo poo, they could've just done some minor mods to the LT1/LT4 intake manifold and used that instead.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh man I hope a '90 4.3L S15 doesn't have that. :ohdear:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Stop making me twitch involuntarily. All he needs is a little tuneup. Thats all. He'll be fine. He drove here fine and had no pending or set codes. He's just a little cranky 'cuz his wires are poo poo and he has some deferred maintenance.

shoulda got the sonett

E: its a truck, not a she.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 3, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh man I hope a '90 4.3L S15 doesn't have that. :ohdear:

You're good, it didn't come out til 92. That one should have the older TBI unit, I think carbs were fully phased out by then.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Viggen posted:

Reno is cheap, but hardly warm. It is maybe 40 degrees out, and is getting colder tomorrow. Depths of depravity? You need California for that.

The average temperature in Las Vegas in January is around 50 degrees. That's t-shirt weather where I'm from.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I knew it was installed in the lower intake manifold when I saw it, but figured the spider was outside the upper intake manifold, not that it was inside the plenum. Christ. How often does it have a nasty vacuum leak around that big dumb looking connector?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

goatse guy posted:

The average temperature in Las Vegas in January is around 50 degrees. That's t-shirt weather where I'm from.

Reno is not Vegas. Reno is the ugly cousin with the lazy eye and noticeable mustache.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There is a car museum with a gold plated Delorean though.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Viggen posted:

Reno is not Vegas. Reno is the ugly cousin with the lazy eye and noticeable mustache.

And that's why I'm going to Las Vegas.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i was going to take my wife to Vegas for christmas, but now we might be going to Ireland or Hawaii in the spring so that's a shitload better.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

I knew it was installed in the lower intake manifold when I saw it, but figured the spider was outside the upper intake manifold, not that it was inside the plenum. Christ. How often does it have a nasty vacuum leak around that big dumb looking connector?

No idea; we didn't keep our '97 Suburban long enough to find out. Of course, that same truck ate an alternator, a transmission, countless batteries, brake pads, and tires, and had the DexCool turn to sand - all within the first five years / 100k miles. I'm sure there's more little poo poo that I'm forgetting at this point but that thing was falling the gently caress apart.

Strangely enough, the Trailblazer that replaced it is still going strong today. It's easily the longest amount of time my mom has owned any one vehicle now, and also the only one that didn't need a new transmission by 50k miles.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

goatse guy posted:

And that's why I'm going to Las Vegas.

Maybe you can be on Pawn Stars! :w00t:

Tusen Takk posted:

i was going to take my wife to Vegas for christmas, but now we might be going to Ireland or Hawaii in the spring so that's a shitload better.

I still can't picture you as someone over the age of 17- who isn't only married, but can cook. Your initial impression fails to leave, no matter how hard I try.

I saw a Redline yesterday and started telling the passenger about these two guys from the internet who have Saturns, but got about three words in (The Saturn Ion...) before the REAL LIFE FILTER took hold and I just stumbled into "..has a suicide door behind the driver. Kinda neat, huh?" Thank god that is still working.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Strangely enough, the Trailblazer that replaced it is still going strong today. It's easily the longest amount of time my mom has owned any one vehicle now, and also the only one that didn't need a new transmission by 50k miles.

Ya know, they made a SAAB skinned version of that. <:smuggo:>

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 3, 2014

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I went to pack for a trip I leave for tomorrow morning and grabbing a few t-shirts for warmer weather turned into an OCD flare up and now everything in my closet is refolded (it was already folded :( ) and color coded with ROYGBIV as much as is possible. And I've got another Goodwill pile.

Part of me feels like I just scratched a really good itch, but part of me feels a bit :cripes:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Viggen posted:

Maybe you can be on Pawn Stars! :w00t:

No thanks, I'd rather hang on to my last shred of dignity. Plus I pawned almost everything I value that I owned when I was living in my car. :smith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Viggen posted:

Ya know, they made a SAAB skinned version of that. <:smuggo:>

And GMC, and Buick, and Isuzu, and Oldsmobile, and the SSR is related to it... GMT360 got around.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

IOwnCalculus posted:

GMT360 got around.

You could say the GMT360 made the full circle.

The mailman just stopped by and knocked on the door. He didn't have any packages. His excuse? "I saw the Chevy in the driveway and wanted to make sure you were OK. :haw:"

I made drat sure not to mix up driver and passenger side wipers while painting on the Ferd, and they were the same. They're the same on the Cheby, too. This 'merkin vehicle world post-1980 is so foreign.

E: Wiped down the plug wires that were damp, and tugged 'em away from the block. Cleared codes and started truck. Cheby is fine. :sweatdrop:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 3, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I drove from Charlotte to Raleigh and back this weekend, and it was so loving windy I had to make several emergency course corrections to avoid being buffeted off of the interstate. I've never driven in winds that strong before. 0/10 would not wind-drive again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Midniter posted:

I drove from Charlotte to Raleigh and back this weekend, and it was so loving windy I had to make several emergency course corrections to avoid being buffeted off of the interstate. I've never driven in winds that strong before. 0/10 would not wind-drive again.

Should probably check your ball joints too, I know I had a lot of pucker moments like that before I replaced them (looked fine from outside, seemed ok when actuated on a jackstand, but were totally hosed). Good thing I did, because last week I drove in a windstorm that pushed my car sideways without any steering wandering needed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The Midniter posted:

We had that up here in new england too. I drat near got blown off of i495 yesterday and it snowed/rained sideways into my face at 40mph the entire time I was at the junkyard.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I drove the Forester all over a mountain with a dirty great canoe strapped to the roof yesterday. The wind was awful, made even worse by that bigass sail on top. I kept making crusty sea captain jokes :haw:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 3, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Viggen posted:

I still can't picture you as someone over the age of 17- who isn't only married, but can cook. Your initial impression fails to leave, no matter how hard I try.

I saw a Redline yesterday and started telling the passenger about these two guys from the internet who have Saturns, but got about three words in (The Saturn Ion...) before the REAL LIFE FILTER took hold and I just stumbled into "..has a suicide door behind the driver. Kinda neat, huh?" Thank god that is still working.

I'm not going to lie, I think getting married as seriously helped me grow the gently caress up and looking back on my posting here makes me have some serious regret.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm not going to lie, I think getting married as seriously helped me grow the gently caress up and looking back on my posting here makes me have some serious regret.

..says the guy with two YOSPOS tags. v:v:v

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Apparently my parents had 2 old modems from Comcast that they never returned and were still being charged for so I'm doing them a favor and bringing them back since I didn't work today. IT'S TORTURE!!!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kastein posted:

Because you're always willing to help and don't have a shittastic attitude. Your posting about Jeep's (And a lot of other folks doing it) is making me want to get back into playing with a vehicle. Once we have some spare cash, I'm going to look into a used Jeep of some sort to start learning all over again. I grew up on a farm, and know a bit about large vehicles, but never played with small ones much hahah.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Tom Magliozzi, of Car Talk co host fame, has passed away.

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/tom-magliozzi-1937

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 3, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Dad surprised me after work with a 16" radio control helicopter for me and one for himself since we'd been talking about picking up one and getting into the hobby. He used to fly them back in the 80's but the hobby got too expensive, so a pair of cheap-ish coaxial helicopters for us to play around with was worth it to him. Problem is, now mom and I have no idea what to get him for Christmas, because that was our original idea :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

Tom Magliozzi, of Car Talk co host fame, has passed away.

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/tom-magliozzi-1937

:smith: I loved those guys.

I used to read them in the paper and I remember a guy wrote in about how he would drain his oil, then run his engine for a minute to get the rest of the oil out, and some people said he shouldn't do that. Tom and Ray basically replied that yes, he was a moron and should never ever ever do that, and additionally if he ever sold his car he should disclose that he did that to the car and never touch a wrench again. Or something along those lines.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

you see next to no L31-swapped vehicles

Sure you do, they just all have carbs :v:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Figured out why my credit card kept getting declined.

Huge rear end GROUPON charge on my card that I didn't do. gently caress GROUPON gently caress SCAMMERS gently caress CAPITAL ONE gently caress EVERYONE.

Just dealt with it over the phone and now I get to do a poo poo ton of paperwork SO EXCITED.

I'm hoping my luck changes in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Just blame Home Depot.

• Locked thread