Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lizard Combatant posted:

Were we watching the same tree? No one does an ashen expression better.

You're just jumping on the bandwagon because he's so poplar right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Oh my god gently caress these tree puns. I pine for the days of minimalist posters.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Tree

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

davidspackage posted:

Have you read the comic it's based on? I didn't and felt totally lost watching the movie. The visuals are pretty though, and the mixture of real and CG actors is neat.

Are you guys talking about the movie immortals where it would switch back and forth between decent cgi, live action with horrible effects, and just completely god awful cgi? That was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was beyond terrible.

Like I don't really get mad about watching movies, cause I usually just watch them at work so I'm literally being paid to watch them, but this one made me mad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I can hardly BEAR this conversation.

Wait. gently caress.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TheJoker138 posted:

Wait. gently caress.

Please leaf this thread before this digression takes root.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Please leaf this thread before this digression takes root.

I agree, we should nip this in the bud, or at least graft it onto another thread. Someone post some poorly photo-synthesised posters or something, because I'm climbing the walls over here.

Seriously, these puns are bush league.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, all these jokes are terrible. Why don't all of you jokers make like a tree, and get out of here.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

puns are dumb

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, all these jokes are terrible. Why don't all of you jokers make like a tree, and get out of here.

Ugh, that's about as funny as a screen door on a battleship.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Teaser drops tomorrow, I think.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really dig that poster

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any more tree puns and I'm gonna beat ya'll into a pulp.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

colonel_korn posted:

I always knew machines were going to eventually outdo us in brains but now its swag too?!
drat.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Why do robots have bunny ears all the time

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheJoker138 posted:

Wait. gently caress.

No, I think bears were appropriate. Those tree puns were the very definition of "poo poo in the woods".

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

The Time Dissolver posted:

Scientists wanting robot playboy bunny maids

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

because Patlabor owned

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Antenna on electronics used to be the norm, especially during the more formative years of what we consider to be the foundation for modern robot design (50s-60s)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jedit posted:

No, I think bears were appropriate. Those tree puns were the very definition of "poo poo in the woods".

I found them a bit wooden myself, I appreciated him branching out into something different.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Chappie has a really fun cast, it's going to be good. I liked Elysium more than a lot of other people, but this looks like a more personal project from Blommkamp.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

because Patlabor owned

You meant Appleseed, right?

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Chappie has a really fun cast, it's going to be good. I liked Elysium more than a lot of other people, but this looks like a more personal project from Blommkamp.

Blommkamp is supposedly going to follow this up with another upcoming sci-fi comedy called Mild Oats. Those "Heartland" viral clips with the mutant pig thing is supposedly related heavily to the film, which is supposedly about a mutant (played by an animatronic puppet) with enormous genitals gifted to him by GMO runoff.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
:spooky:

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

There is a legitimate reason to design a robot in this way, if it is going to spent a lot of time interacting with humans (or be a character in a film). Dogs express a lot of emotion with the position of their ears, so if you build a robot with large ear-like extensions that can be moved around in a way to express simulated emotions, it can give the robot a lot of implied personality. Whereas attempting to build an adjustable, human-like face runs the risk of falling deep into the uncanny valley.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Paper Kaiju posted:

There is a legitimate reason to design a robot in this way, if it is going to spent a lot of time interacting with humans (or be a character in a film). Dogs express a lot of emotion with the position of their ears, so if you build a robot with large ear-like extensions that can be moved around in a way to express simulated emotions, it can give the robot a lot of implied personality. Whereas attempting to build an adjustable, human-like face runs the risk of falling deep into the uncanny valley.

Just give it a little screen for a face like :gerty: or Daft Punk

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just give it a little screen for a face like :gerty: or Daft Punk

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Paper Kaiju posted:

You can stylize facial expression easily enough, though. Such as artificial eyebrows

or even just eyelids.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
GBS got ahold of those Terminator promo shots.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

colonel_korn posted:

The number on its shoulder pads is the South African emergency police line, the equivalent of 911. So, it's a reject police bot?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Afriscipio posted:

The number on its shoulder pads is the South African emergency police line, the equivalent of 911. So, it's a reject police bot?

That was what the original short Tetra Vaal was about. A sort of corporate infomercial about using robots as police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnxP7e7-YA

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Afriscipio posted:

Which gets adopted by Die Antwoord, yes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Shanty posted:

Which gets adopted by Die Antwoord, yes.

I thought you were kidding.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So did I. That's a ballsy move I suppose.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Are they playing different characters or are they literally Die Antwoord?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

kiimo posted:

So did I. That's a ballsy move I suppose.

eh, not really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtUvq82WkDY

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Are they playing different characters or are they literally Die Antwoord?

They're themselves.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Chappie looks so awful considering that premise. Yolandi and Ninja look/sound incredibly awkward in the trailer. :sigh:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ville Valo posted:

Chappie looks so awful considering that premise. Yolandi and Ninja look/sound incredibly awkward in the trailer. :sigh:

Nah, that's just how south africans do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love the poster but it looks like it's from a different film.