Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I'm sad there's no loader equivalent enemy - the way they fell apart so easily when you shot them was so satisfying in BL2 (although the fact that they were all armoured was a bit restrictive). More games need enemies that come apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I dunno, I thought Helios was pretty cool. Honestly, Pickle was the worst part of the game for me. I honestly don't know what they were even going for with him. He's not funny, he's not fun to hate, he doesn't really do anything, and his character gimmick is underwhelming. He was just kind of... there.

But maybe I dunno what I'm talking about because Janey irritated me too.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Backhand posted:

I dunno, I thought Helios was pretty cool. Honestly, Pickle was the worst part of the game for me. I honestly don't know what they were even going for with him. He's not funny, he's not fun to hate, he doesn't really do anything, and his character gimmick is underwhelming. He was just kind of... there.

I, for one, liked Pickle. His quests not so much, I skip those. But his lines make me smile.

On the other hand, Dr. Nakayama and that one female Dr. in R&D- can't stand those 2.

But I do their quests anyway.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Backhand posted:

He's worth putting up with for the weapon you get after saving his sister.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Never farm bosses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnAYEK9Lwss

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Backhand posted:

I see a lot of people saying they hate Pickle, but I don't get it. Like you said, he's just kinda there. He's inoffensive and forgettable, but it's not as if he's cringe-inducingly annoying or terrible like Tiny Tina in BL2. How could he possibly be the "worst part of the game" for you? poo poo, I can't think of any games that don't have some uninteresting characters.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Vargs posted:

I see a lot of people saying they hate Pickle, but I don't get it. Like you said, he's just kinda there. He's inoffensive and forgettable, but it's not as if he's cringe-inducingly annoying or terrible like Tiny Tina in BL2. How could he possibly be the "worst part of the game" for you? poo poo, I can't think of any games that don't have some uninteresting characters.

It's more like, of all the roles you thought you absolutely needed to have in every Borderlands game (the hick mechanic/Janey, the dubious medical vendor/Nina, etc.), you thought you needed to have a Tina? (And I say this as someone who doesn't find her annoying.)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Vargs posted:

I mainly just hated the quests he sends you on. I did like some of his lines, like "You're creepy mate" to Bosun.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Skandranon posted:

I mainly just hated the quests he sends you on. I did like some of his lines, like "You're creepy mate" to Bosun.

Yeah, I really actually enjoyed Pickle's whole "weird Charles Dickens fanfiction" schtick. I did not enjoy doing like 3 laps around both of those maps, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pickle is just some kid, he doesn't try to make stupid jokes all the time, or have some kind of incredibly irritating affectation like most of the BL2 cast does. He was a positive relief compared to most of the NPCs in these games.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
After all of the talk I originally heard about Pickle, I was expecting him to be the worst thing to ever happen to me. I was relatively confused when I first met him, because I kept waiting for him to turn into this obnoxious twat. Imagine my surprise when he just turned out to be a pretty mundane character with a goofy accent.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Pickle is great, if only for the "That is the ten-year old boy we hired to help us." line.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

After all of the talk I originally heard about Pickle, I was expecting him to be the worst thing to ever happen to me. I was relatively confused when I first met him, because I kept waiting for him to turn into this obnoxious twat. Imagine my surprise when he just turned out to be a pretty mundane character with a goofy accent.

I'd like to throw out the hypothesis that the people who hate Pickle are british (though not everyone who is british is gonna hate pickle). People who hate Pickle, confirm/deny?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

As stupid as the plot is, this game is pretty drat well written.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I hated pickle because I hated his quests and I hated his accent. I also found his sister annoying.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VaultAggie posted:

I hated pickle because I hated his quests and I hated his accent. I also found his sister annoying.

The accent became grating near the end but I don't get how anyone would find the sister annoying. That's like finding the DJs in Moxxi's bar annoying for as little dialogue as she has.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
His quests are pretty annoying, but other than that he's not bad.

wdarkk posted:

Pickle is great, if only for the "That is the ten-year old boy we hired to help us." line.

Absolutely agree, that line is an example of the great moments in this game. Jack's delivery is perfect.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I like his "I WAS GOING TO LET YOU LIVE" anger with the Meriff, it's got pretty good delivery too.

Hell, half of Jack's lines had perfect delivery. "I called you an rear end in a top hat because I thought I hung up?" comes to mind. It's this weird blend of sheepishness and cojones that kind of defines the guy's dialogue in a lot of parts.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I think Jack's voice actor is probably the best in the series. He nails the character so well, and apparently did a bunch of ad-libbing too.

Mr Torgue is probably my favourite character though. I'm glad he got a cameo in this.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FAUXTON posted:

I like his "I WAS GOING TO LET YOU LIVE" anger with the Meriff, it's got pretty good delivery too.

Hell, half of Jack's lines had perfect delivery. "I called you an rear end in a top hat because I thought I hung up?" comes to mind. It's this weird blend of sheepishness and cojones that kind of defines the guy's dialogue in a lot of parts.

It really is a fantastic delivery. We're already way past the point where he put his daughter in an isolation chamber and started pumping her full of mysterious radioactive elements, and also the point where he built a giant orbital death laser.

He's pretty much a textbook sociopath. To his mind, he's the main character of the universe, and everybody else is just there to support his narrative. His ability to instantly dehumanize his enemies like flipping a switch, while also still justifying all of his own misdeeds to himself unironically, is indicative of his extreme narcissism and lack of empathy.

It's probably giving Burch too much credit, but the "I WAS GOING TO LET YOU LIVE" was a pretty excellent moment of Jack dropping the self-righteous act for a second, in which he reveals that he considers himself the director of this show, and therefore the central arbiter of who lives and who dies.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Reveilled posted:

I'd like to throw out the hypothesis that the people who hate Pickle are british (though not everyone who is british is gonna hate pickle). People who hate Pickle, confirm/deny?

I'm a Brit that didn't hate him. Only problem I had with his dialogue was following the rhyming slang with the word its replacing which makes it redundant in the first place. But then no one else would have had a Scooby Doo what he was saying.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

It really is a fantastic delivery. We're already way past the point where he put his daughter in an isolation chamber and started pumping her full of mysterious radioactive elements, and also the point where he built a giant orbital death laser.

He's pretty much a textbook sociopath. To his mind, he's the main character of the universe, and everybody else is just there to support his narrative. His ability to instantly dehumanize his enemies like flipping a switch, while also still justifying all of his own misdeeds to himself unironically, is indicative of his extreme narcissism and lack of empathy.

It's probably giving Burch too much credit, but the "I WAS GOING TO LET YOU LIVE" was a pretty excellent moment of Jack dropping the self-righteous act for a second, in which he reveals that he considers himself the director of this show, and therefore the central arbiter of who lives and who dies.

I don't think he has started pumping Angel full of Eridium yet. He is only doing that to charge the Vault Key, to unlock the Warrior. He doesn't find out about that until the end, so what his relationship with his daughter is like is very uncertain right now. Especially considering the picture up/down part.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Skandranon posted:

I don't think he has started pumping Angel full of Eridium yet. He is only doing that to charge the Vault Key, to unlock the Warrior. He doesn't find out about that until the end, so what his relationship with his daughter is like is very uncertain right now. Especially considering the picture up/down part.

Pretty sure the picture went down because he realized that he was going to have to use her up to charge the key and he flipped the "dehumanize" switch on her.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Pretty sure the picture went down because he realized that he was going to have to use her up to charge the key and he flipped the "dehumanize" switch on her.

He flipped the picture down after the Eye of Helios is damaged, when he didn't know about the Warrior or the key.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Skandranon posted:

He flipped the picture down after the Eye of Helios is damaged, when he didn't know about the Warrior or the key.

Huh, I didn't go back until after I'd finished the last boss. Now I have no idea what's up there.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Dammit, Tiny Tina was right.

I did die again and again to the raid boss (that everyone seems to have an easy time with :v:)

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
Well you gotta restrain Angel, she could backstab him next!

Tezzeract posted:

Dammit, Tiny Tina was right.

I did die again and again to the raid boss (that everyone seems to have an easy time with :v:)

Well, having the shield bug helped.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

deadly_pudding posted:

I disagree a bit there - I saw it as a little more like that scene in Breaking Bad where Walt finds out there's a piece missing from the broken plate, and starts freaking out when he realizes the guy he's holding prisoner in the basement took it and plans on killing him with it, except instead of "nonononono" it's anger directed squarely at Meriff for having to make him kill him. He didn't want to kill him, and had turned around to leave him there, but that rear end in a top hat had to take a few shots at Jack. I wouldn't say it's at the who lives/dies level of narcissism, but definitely anger at Meriff not following according to the plan, resulting in Jack having to gun him down.

The Pre-Sequel is definitely a game in which Jack develops from middle management(?) with at least a passing interest in saving lives - his arguments with Zarp about how the people she's killing are just innocent workers/moonstralians - to evil guy who will blast scientists out of an airlock on the thin pretense that one of them might have been a traitor. The game's kid-gloves treatment of this transition is what I like about it, it isn't some subtle shift in tone, he starts the game wanting to stop Zarpedon from murdering innocent people, including putting himself at risk by staying on Helios, and finishes it by jettisoning scientists into space and fooling a random Dahl guy into getting shot out of the Moonshot cannon because it seems like a good idea and hey this guy right here is a good test subject, who cares about him dying.

All the while his errand-running vault hunters are slaughtering people by the dozen.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Who knows what would have happened if Jack ever had a (Breaking Bad spoilers) "I did it for me" moment.

The biggest difference between Presequel Jack and 2 Jack is that the former is at least grounded in reality enough to recognize what aren't the signs of a good person. I don't think beginning presequel Jack could really go through the mental gymnastics required to get Angel addicted to eridium (assuming something really did happen to her mother, since that's less of a leap), which is my guess on what the picture means (since that's when he really starts to lose it).

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 3, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
He turns down the picture when he is betrayed by Moxxi, Lilith and Roland. I think at that point he decided he had to do things she wouldn't be proud of, and couldn't bear to look at her anymore. Perhaps he actually started to doubt that he really was the hero, but any of that was destroyed by Lilith punching all that rear end in a top hat energy into his face.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Of course this happens. If you didn't farm the gun Undeadlift dropped, you can just get it from Shift.

PC / Linux / Mac: KW5BB-BZXWB-3TT33-JJT33-C966T
Xbox 360: K553J-WWRH6-5CFJF-5XB3B-RF6ZZ
PlayStation 3: K553J-WWRC5-9FBKB-9TC3B-RF6HX

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So I beat the game on Normal. What should I do before I head to UVHM? At the moment I'm farming Iwajira for that rocket launcher and class mods since he's 30, otherwise i'll probably go farm Bosun now while he's relatively easy until I get the Napoleon hat for Clappy. Other than that I'm not entirely sure what I should do. Any guns I should pick up before I do UVHM?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Thumbtacks posted:

So I beat the game on Normal. What should I do before I head to UVHM? At the moment I'm farming Iwajira for that rocket launcher and class mods since he's 30, otherwise i'll probably go farm Bosun now while he's relatively easy until I get the Napoleon hat for Clappy. Other than that I'm not entirely sure what I should do. Any guns I should pick up before I do UVHM?

I had a level 30 KerBoom that lasted me most of the way through TVHM.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

smashpro1 posted:

I had a level 30 KerBoom that lasted me most of the way through TVHM.

Is the KerBoom different in any way from the KerBlaster? I figured with the red text "Torgue got smarter boom!" it'd have some new property but it seemed the same to me.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I really like how at least 4/5 legendary assault rifles are the same as they were in BL2. I really like that a lot.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm not sure about assault rifles tbh. I've got an explosive pistol and shotgun and they've more or less been enough.

Speaking of which, since 3/4 of my arsenal is explosives, how do you guys feel about Hyperion Punch or whatever it's called? Decent damage?

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Thumbtacks posted:

As someone who likewise desires and has tried to farm the Emperor Hat for Claptrap, it isn't actually clear that the Bosun drops it. He definitely drops the mummy head, but online sources can't seem to agree on whether he or Zarpedon drop the one we want. This is most unfortunate, given that the Bosun is eminently farmable but Zarpy is not.

Also hyperion punch was the biggest disappointment so far. I thought it was going to be a fiery explosive melee attack like Wilhelm's awesome punch, but it's not and it sucks. It takes too long to fire, it travels too slowly, the aiming is wonky and it doesn't do enough damage to justify its shortcomings.

Trudis fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 4, 2014

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

smashpro1 posted:

Of course this happens. If you didn't farm the gun Undeadlift dropped, you can just get it from Shift.

PC / Linux / Mac: KW5BB-BZXWB-3TT33-JJT33-C966T
Xbox 360: K553J-WWRH6-5CFJF-5XB3B-RF6ZZ
PlayStation 3: K553J-WWRC5-9FBKB-9TC3B-RF6HX
Man, thank Gorp we farmed that unDeadlift rear end in a top hat seven times last night, right?

Also, did you know that you can get Moxxi's toy chest to respawn when you enter through Moxxi's Back Door (tee hee), and again whenever you start up a game that has you spawning at the back door entrance? Did you also know that you can grind her Laser to make purple lasers or sell it for a nice chunk of change?

Because I think grinding her Vibro-Pulses has replaced the slot machine as my new ingame passtime.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Skandranon posted:

He turns down the picture when he is betrayed by Moxxi, Lilith and Roland. I think at that point he decided he had to do things she wouldn't be proud of, and couldn't bear to look at her anymore. Perhaps he actually started to doubt that he really was the hero, but any of that was destroyed by Lilith punching all that rear end in a top hat energy into his face.

I guess he wouldn't be that sort of character archetype if he didn't have least one ignored almost-epiphany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I'm a Brit that didn't hate him. Only problem I had with his dialogue was following the rhyming slang with the word its replacing which makes it redundant in the first place. But then no one else would have had a Scooby Doo what he was saying.

Oh man this drove me nuts once I noticed it.

• Locked thread