Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

your head of IT would rather chew his fingers off for sport than surrender any purchasing authority. he will make up any reasons necessary

that 27" monitor is a different SKU from his anointed 19" 1366x768 TN panel that all corporate drones have, that's unsupportable!!!!!!
previous standard was dual 19" 1280x1024 monitors. new standard is dual 20" 1600x900. hope you didn't need any vertical space for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you will receive one (1) 19" 1280x1024 viewsonic from 2003.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

you will receive one (1) 19" 1280x1024 viewsonic from 2003.

set to 1024x768 because of the americans with disabilities act, even though we're based out of canada

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the desktop wallpaper will be set in group policy to a stretched 800x600 rendition of the company logo that clashes with everything and makes reading icon labels impossible

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Management posted:

I said productive, not important. a company can have a million CJs and the best running infrastructure in the world but will still produce nothing of value. they need at least one employee that is working on product, whatever that may be, to actually be a real business. I am one of those employees.
This is operating under the assumption that most of the "productive" employees even know what they want or understand what can be done with their infrastructure given the constraints of budget/time/manpower.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fabricated posted:

This is operating under the assumption that most of the "productive" employees even know what they want or understand what can be done with their infrastructure given the constraints of budget/time/manpower.

this is really the big issue. so many employees think they can justify a $3000 retina macbook, when they're accountants running quickbooks or something like that.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Phoenixan posted:

also don't get a laptop

solid advice

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

univbee posted:

this is really the big issue. so many employees think they can justify a $3000 retina macbook, when they're accountants running quickbooks or something like that.

when the employee costs you $120-200k a year in salary, benefits, taxes, etc. trying to get out of buying a $3k computer every 3 years just seems like spite

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol the cut the price already

in a year it will be $299, then 6 months from then $250 on the bargain shelf at sears

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i know this is the second "price drop" it's had (cutting out the kinect doesn't count imo) but its still hilarious to see this thing fail so hard

is there another xbone is trash thread

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Beeftweeter posted:

lol the cut the price already

in a year it will be $299, then 6 months from then $250 on the bargain shelf at sears

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa sega

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

carry on then posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa sega

the dreamcast had windows ce. it was doomed from the start

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

the dreamcast had windows ce. it was doomed from the start

only like 2 games used it tho

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

mobile first
cloud first
actually windows 8.1 first

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/03/skype-translator-early-preview/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

when the employee costs you $120-200k a year in salary, benefits, taxes, etc. trying to get out of buying a $3k computer every 3 years just seems like spite
[ask] me about refusing to hand out $15 headphones to engineers working in a loud open-plan office

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

if they mess with the processor and don't quadruple the ESRAM then i am still going to not buy this.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

many of our government websites run using activex plugins :canada:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

if they mess with the processor and don't quadruple the ESRAM then i am still going to not buy this.

the point is to make it cheaper, not faster

your username will be relevant for a long, long time

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
activesex, the one plugin i just can't get to work

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

your username will never be relevant

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
it would be pretty lol if msft made a faster xbone processor, loving over all the early adopters

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

slogsdon posted:

it would be pretty lol if msft made a faster xbone processor, loving over all the early adopters

'the smart phone beta test is over!'

:releases winpho8:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's p much impossible to do that, in addition to the perception problems they'd have to replace every dev kit and anyone making a game for it would have to QA on both

it would be less damaging to MS to just drop the one entirely and start working on a whole new system for 3-5 years from now

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

qirex posted:

it's p much impossible to do that, in addition to the perception problems they'd have to replace every dev kit and anyone making a game for it would have to QA on both

it would be less damaging to MS to just drop the one entirely and start working on a whole new system for 3-5 years from now
it would be less damaging to just sell the division to amazon or anyone else dumb enough to buy it

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

slogsdon posted:

nintendo actually just did this with the 3ds though thats more like 4 years by the time it comes out for everyone. Didn't ms just give a smallish speed boost for future dev by optionally releasing some of the resources reserved for kinect stuff

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

"It's poo poo, but it's packed full"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
10lbs of poo poo in a 5lb bag

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Yolo Wizard posted:

nintendo actually just did this with the 3ds though thats more like 4 years by the time it comes out for everyone. Didn't ms just give a smallish speed boost for future dev by optionally releasing some of the resources reserved for kinect stuff

10% kinect bonus isnt enough to do anything useful with though, they need a 50% cpu/gpu boost, full stop to be able to compete with the ps4 numbers game

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yes the pees battle will never stop since the gamer cannot be satisfied

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Upgrading to a newer graphics card is more fun than pretty much any modern AAA console title.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

"It's poo poo, but it's packed full"

this is a thing someone thought "hmm yes this will fit perfectly on a human wrist"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

this is a thing someone thought "hmm yes this will fit perfectly on a human wrist"

im the wrist pads

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wow that looks like poo poo

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sniep posted:

im the wrist pads

i'm the complete lack of understanding in regards to ergonomics

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

univbee posted:

many of our government websites run using activex plugins :canada:

also, by law, south korea!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sniep posted:

im the wrist pads

i want to see a picture of the calluses developed by the pre-pad testers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the timbwatch is the result of multiple years of work from one of the most highly-regarded industrial design teams in the world and it's still ugly so "holy poo poo get something on the market NOW!" from MS had no chance even from the beginning

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i heard microsoft made a product packed with features but didn't properly consider the human interface is this true??

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

i heard microsoft made a product packed with features but didn't properly consider the human interface is this true??

shocking, I know, but this appears to be the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

• Locked thread