Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I think the squad leader is a specific slot, you can tell because they always stand in front.

Edit: Third slot from the left with all slots available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012
I believe the squad leader is always the highest ranking soldier; if all of them are the same rank, it defaults to the soldier who's front and center in the loadout screen (Watkins in the most recent entry).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I had a sniper with stats like Bar-Lev once, without them being randomized. It was absurd how many kills she got by the end of the game.

Edit: To the point where I had to start actively denying her kills in the early-mid game so I could rank up others faster.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 3, 2014

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Oh, man, this is going to be good... Let's see how awkward /this/ gets.

I vote Latisha for the next to get melded. Molded?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Nice job pointing out how easier it would be to kill aliens instead of humans. Dehumanizing the enemy is a sad necessity in war, it stops guys from going nuts.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Speedball posted:

Alicia Gomez: Will 45, Aim 89

Nobody gonna comment on the fact that Alicia "the Psychologist" Gomez has the lowest Willpower of the group? 'Cause it was her who was the psychologist, right?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Luhood posted:

Nobody gonna comment on the fact that Alicia "the Psychologist" Gomez has the lowest Willpower of the group? 'Cause it was her who was the psychologist, right?

Mentioned that at the end of last page, albeit in a more roundabout way.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Luhood posted:

There's always a reason why people get involved in psychology.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Mentioned that at the end of last page, albeit in a more roundabout way.

Welp, seems you did! I must have simply missed it! Still find it rather interesting though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

She has her own demons, in case you haven't picked up on it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Rumda posted:

There's always a reason why people get involved in psychology.

Specifically, to figure out what the hell is wrong with themselves.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

We're only about one mission away from assaulting the Alien Base. Who lives, who dies, who comes along? Make your bets!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Speedball posted:

We're only about one mission away from assaulting the Alien Base. Who lives, who dies, who comes along? Make your bets!

Is the answer to all three questions SHIV?

You should totally go robot wars on the alien base.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I wanna see a SHIV too! I'm looking forward to the more advanced ones being all Tachikoma or whatever. :awesomelon:

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

I wanna see a SHIV too! I'm looking forward to the more advanced ones being all Tachikoma or whatever. :awesomelon:

What is a Tachikoma and how can we change that to the old awesome dude just uploading his mind into the SHIVs for direct control?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

xanthan posted:

What is a Tachikoma and how can we change that to the old awesome dude just uploading his mind into the SHIVs for direct control?

An autonomous spider tank with cheery AI from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. More info here

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

xanthan posted:

Tachikoma are AI robots from Ghost in the Shell that are much cuter than they have any right being. Particularly because in Stand Alone Complex they do a lot of complex philosophy and it's an odd disconnect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkb8_eMs8Jg

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

Eh, we could always just pretend.

The power of narrative! :eng101:

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Tachikoma are AI robots from Ghost in the Shell that are much cuter than they have any right being. Particularly because in Stand Alone Complex they do a lot of complex philosophy and it's an odd disconnect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkb8_eMs8Jg

...is that third one Kari from Digimon? Because it sounds familiar but all I can think of is Kari.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

xanthan posted:

...is that third one Kari from Digimon? Because it sounds familiar but all I can think of is Kari.

Yes, it is.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Working on story proposal for sci-fi anthology, except I'm afraid I am going to get totally outclassed. I've got great ideas and am working with a better artist who is amazing, but one of the confirmed contributoris the Kill Six Billion Demons guy and there are 70 known submissions at this time. Also this editor has rejected me in the past. I was excited a week ago but right now it seems hopeless.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speedball posted:

Working on story proposal for sci-fi anthology, except I'm afraid I am going to get totally outclassed. I've got great ideas and am working with a better artist who is amazing, but one of the confirmed contributoris the Kill Six Billion Demons guy and there are 70 known submissions at this time. Also this editor has rejected me in the past. I was excited a week ago but right now it seems hopeless.

Ow, going up against the KSBD creator of all things. Now that's gonna smart.
Reminds me when I asked the biggest sci-fi bookstore in Sweden if it was possible to get something published in an anthology. Mostly for shits and giggles to be truthful and see if it could be done. They did surprise me though by answering my question but I was more or less discouraged to trying that way and recommended to go the magazine route instead.
Now I just need to get around actually trying to do that at some point. Keep getting distracted with other things.

Good on you for at least trying though. :shobon:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Speedball posted:

If you don't think you'll get in, then don't do it for the sake of getting in. Do it for the experience. Do it so that you can say you tried. And if you do actually get in, well, that'll be a nice little bonus.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If you don't think you'll get in, then don't do it for the sake of getting in. Do it for the experience. Do it so that you can say you tried. And if you do actually get in, well, that'll be a nice little bonus.

Absolutely listen to this guy, buddy. You're always going to be competing against other talent, if not the KSBD guy, then somebody else. Just present what you have to offer, and be confident that what you have is your best.

Good luck! You're doing something I've always wanted to do, but suspect I don't have the talent for.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, I've already decided not to let the idea go to waste, but it would be really nice for someone to pay me for this poo poo. That would really brighten my outlook on life.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Feeling better now that the depression isn't talking through me. Definitely going to be another XCOM update tomorrow. We'll soon see that it's not just mutants or Sectoids that can read your mind: moms can too.

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

Speedball posted:

Feeling better now that the depression isn't talking through me. Definitely going to be another XCOM update tomorrow. We'll soon see that it's not just mutants or Sectoids that can read your mind: moms can too.

If the depression talks through you again, make an XCOM update. Yes, I realize how hard it is to be remotely creative while in that mood, but the readers here, at least, love your stuff, even if this isn't immediately marketable. Gotta love the feeling of people enjoying your work.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Speedball posted:

No one knows you better than family. Even when you think they don't.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Bloodly posted:

No one knows you better than family. Even when you think they don't.

Even when you wish they don't, in my experience...

Anyways, good to hear you're doing a bit better, Speedball.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Seraphroy posted:

If the depression talks through you again, make an XCOM update. Yes, I realize how hard it is to be remotely creative while in that mood, but the readers here, at least, love your stuff, even if this isn't immediately marketable. Gotta love the feeling of people enjoying your work.

Uh, I'm not sure asking Speedball to make updates while depressed is a good idea, unless you think him being depressed will somehow make for better updates, like those guys who think the best art is that made by "trouble souls"? Because that sounds like a recipe for upping the friendly body count, and I would rather not have the eventually victory be too bittersweet like "we won, but in the course so many good people died...". I would rather have the body count remain relatively low, so the guys can be like, "we won, and only a small handful of our guys died in the process!". :v:

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 7, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Speedball posted:

You'd be amazed how lovely most submissions to ANYTHING are. It's always worth trying, and at the very least, you're an entertaining writer who knows how a sentence works. That puts you in the top 25% right there.

(Source: I am a publisher and author)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Stephen9001 posted:

"we won, and only a small handful of our guys died in the process!". :v:

Thats not how XCOM works. Xcom is all about them dead rookies.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I just caught up on this. Great job so far, Speedball. I never played very well, so now I'm learning how to play while enjoying a fun story at the same time. :buddy:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ruzihm posted:

I just caught up on this. Great job so far, Speedball. I never played very well, so now I'm learning how to play while enjoying a fun story at the same time. :buddy:

Glad you like it! (Working on Other Project at this very second but will shift gears after lunch). I figured I wanted to write an alien invasion story where the anti-alien task force was FORCED to not go into this drat thing genre-blind.

...hence why the zombie apocalypse is averted with like the first or second victim, like that XKCD strip. (Anyone remember which that one was?)

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Speedball posted:

Glad you like it! (Working on Other Project at this very second but will shift gears after lunch). I figured I wanted to write an alien invasion story where the anti-alien task force was FORCED to not go into this drat thing genre-blind.

...hence why the zombie apocalypse is averted with like the first or second victim, like that XKCD strip. (Anyone remember which that one was?)

http://xkcd.com/734/

Googled "XKCD zombie apocalypse". God drat Google is efficient.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Speedball posted:

e: beaten, but I brought an image.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

An...event happened in the game that requires a small amount of art.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Speedball posted:

You remind me of a minor quote used in one of Tom Holt's books. I wanna say it was 'Open sesame'? It was dealing with genies a lot.

"The worst thing a military man can say is 'I wasn't prepared for THAT.'"

So you have the military with scenarioes such as 'people mind-controlled by cake mix' and the like. Absolutely ridiculous things. Their ultimate counter-measure? Genie.

Of course, with things like 'The men who stare at goats', it's been shown that this isn't completely ridiculous, and the military ARE looking into everything they can think of as far as they're able.

You have to imagine that at least some President or monarch or ruling party is looking at something like X-Com and going "We do have some thought about this, right? Even if it never actually happens?"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Somewhere out there, there are men training for the day superintelligent rage monkeys descend up on humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Look, you never known when hyperintelligent cyborg monkeys from the future are going to arrive and declare that ancient Chinese furniture arranging techniques warp the destiny of mankind, and thus start detonating landmarks. You've gotta be on top of that kind of crap.

• Locked thread