Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lagomorphic posted:

Also I am irrationally irritated that they made the murder of the Waynes into a big conspiracy that they have to solve rather than a random street crime. It just fucks up the mythology.

When I was a kid I had an old comic from the silver age where that was the case. For some reason a mob boss hired some guy to kill the Waynes and make it look like a random street crime, and the shooter deliberately left Bruce alive so that he'd be a witness to report that it was a random street crime. No idea if it was an alternate universe or how comics continuity works, but the idea that the Waynes were deliberately murdered isn't a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When I was a kid I had an old comic from the silver age where that was the case. For some reason a mob boss hired some guy to kill the Waynes and make it look like a random street crime, and the shooter deliberately left Bruce alive so that he'd be a witness to report that it was a random street crime. No idea if it was an alternate universe or how comics continuity works, but the idea that the Waynes were deliberately murdered isn't a new one.

Yeah this oscillates wildly from writer to writer. I'm in the "random street crime" camp, but more than a few people can't resist the temptation to make it part of some wider conspiracy. It's the same kind-of lazy thinking that leads to the Joker being Joe Chill-- it's just a shortcut to create pathos instead of actually having to work on executing a theme.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
In Edge of Tomorrow, that lovely Tom Cruise movie based on some manga or whatever?

You lose the power to go back in time when you die to change poo poo if you get a blood transfusion. However, you never would've figured that out because if you got killed again, to find out whether you had the power or not, you'd just be dead for real.

It's a massive plot hole.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

nucleicmaxid posted:

In Edge of Tomorrow, that lovely Tom Cruise movie based on some manga or whatever?

You lose the power to go back in time when you die to change poo poo if you get a blood transfusion. However, you never would've figured that out because if you got killed again, to find out whether you had the power or not, you'd just be dead for real.

I think it is based on a manga but they both survive the transfusion and he said he could feel the power going and she had already warned him about it so apparently he knew the jig was up. That was the only way to get dramatic tension going, yeah?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I think it is based on a manga but they both survive the transfusion and he said he could feel the power going and she had already warned him about it so apparently he knew the jig was up. That was the only way to get dramatic tension going, yeah?

How did she know that's when she lost the power? She would've had to test it by dying.

I mean I guess he 'felt' it.
Is fine or whatever, but it's irritating.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I think the deal was she was getting pretty regular visions of the big brain alien, and they stopped when she got a blood transfusion.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

nucleicmaxid posted:

How did she know that's when she lost the power? She would've had to test it by dying.

I mean I guess he 'felt' it.
Is fine or whatever, but it's irritating.

They both felt it, and said so quite explicitly a couple of times. I guess being able to respawn gives you a buzz or something.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The ending was the biggest irritation to me. hosed up the entire god damned movie.

I HATE WHEN HOLLYWOOD FUCKS UP THE LAST 5 MINS OF GOOD/DECENT MOVIE. loving STOP IT ALREADY! :argh:

Same bullshit for Grave Encounters, great movie until the last 5 mins, then it's loving balls on head retarded.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

nucleicmaxid posted:

If it helps, I have read the manga and the fact that you get the power from blood and you'd lose it with a blood transfusion never came up: that was purely made up for the movie, so they basically invented their own plot hole. I don't remember the manga exactly since it was awhile ago, but I think it was more vague, like you get the power from killing an alpha monster and that's it, you're jacked into their frequency. I guess they wanted a more literal visual connection that they can use to play with tension for american audiences? I haven't read the original light novel that spawned the manga, though, so I can't say what is the definite 'original' plot.

As a side note about changing things for movie releases, they should've kept the original title "All You Need Is Kill" instead of giving it a generic pun title "Edge of Tomorrow". What a crazy title that is!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Also in the manga the love interest becomes an "antenna" that will continue to reset time for the bad guys but doesn't know exactly if she's the culprit or the hero is, so they have to fight each other to the death. Which is (partly?) why the title was "All You Need is Kill." Personally I think the physical connection with the blood makes things a lot clearer to the viewer.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

On the other hand, to someone glancing over the showing times board that name sounds dumb as all hell.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
they should've gone with Groundhog Die

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I'm a big fan of World War II armor, so there are a few things in Fury that bug me a bit.

The part where the Americans are ambushed by a Tiger is one of those moments. I get that it's a Hollywood movie, and it has to be flashy, but there is no way in hell that either tank would be able to consistently bounce shells like they could at the range they were. You really don't have to circle around the rear of a Tiger tank if you're within spitting distance of it. Even more so if you're an upgunned Sherman, sporting a 76mm. And why would the Tiger tank ever charge at the Sherman tanks, it makes no sense! :argh:

The final scene also should have lasted 30 seconds. You see the German troops marching with tons of Panzerfausts in their hands, but suddenly they have like 5 that they can use. And instead of smoking the tank and attacking from the rear they throw wave after wave of dudes with rifles at it before they even think about use the anti-tank weapon.

Gettin' mad at bad military tactics.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not even a WWII or military buff and even I noticed every single one of those things. Fury was a B-grade movie all-around.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

I'm a big fan of World War II armor, so there are a few things in Fury that bug me a bit.

The final scene also should have lasted 30 seconds. You see the German troops marching with tons of Panzerfausts in their hands, but suddenly they have like 5 that they can use. And instead of smoking the tank and attacking from the rear they throw wave after wave of dudes with rifles at it before they even think about use the anti-tank weapon.

Gettin' mad at bad military tactics.

The whole movie felt like an American version of that spoof German movie from Inglorious Basterds, where the German super-sniper kills like a thousand dudes on his own, but without the obvious tongue-in-cheek humor.

It really annoyed me that after an entire movie of watching gratuitous and graphic death scenes, mostly for the Germans, when it comes time for the main cast to be knocked off they do it in the most generic Hollywood fashion possible. A guy herocially jumps on a grenade, a guy gets a giant hole knocked through him but off-camera, etc. The best though, was the heroic Brad Pitt taking bullets like Willem Dafoe in Platoon, surviving and after being blown up by grenades, only has a few more scratches while his hair is still near-perfect.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Finally got around to watching Looper. The time travel was stupid, it worked however the plot needed it to on a scene by scene basis, but the thing that really bothered me was, if the whole point of loopers were to dispose of bodies because it's impossible to get away with murder in the future, why did the guys going after Bruce Willis have guns with lethal ammo? By killing his wife, they caused the exact loving thing loopers are supposed to prevent, but all they do is torch the house and drive away. If it's that easy, why bother with time travel in the first place?

Another thing: by sending Bruce Willis from China to the US they show they can control where in the world time travelers appear, why not just drop them in an active volcano, at the bottom of the ocean, or in outer space? Seems like they're disposing of bodies in the most needlessly convoluted way possible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hate movie CPR. In the 2nd Hunger Games movie there's a scene where a character gets blown up by something and they give him CPR. Because he's not breathing. And then after like 20 seconds of it he wakes up and runs around perfectly fine like some guy who didn't just get a bunch of his ribs broken.

CPR isn't really something you do to get the heart started again, it just buys time for other methods of resescutation. And that's not even getting into the fact that traumatic cardiac arrests have the worst outcomes! :argh:

made of bees
May 21, 2013
the best movie CPR was in John Carpenter's The Thing

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I hate movie CPR. In the 2nd Hunger Games movie there's a scene where a character gets blown up by something and they give him CPR. Because he's not breathing. And then after like 20 seconds of it he wakes up and runs around perfectly fine like some guy who didn't just get a bunch of his ribs broken.

CPR isn't really something you do to get the heart started again, it just buys time for other methods of resescutation. And that's not even getting into the fact that traumatic cardiac arrests have the worst outcomes! :argh:

The Abyss is a particularly bad offender in this regard since it tries so hard to be "real" and lets us sit in real-time as he keeps pumping away yet her ribs remain completely unbroken and she's up and able in a few minutes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If there's anything the Battlefield series of video games has taught me, it's that if you've got a defibrillator, you can fix anything from getting run over by a tank, to taking half a dozen 7.62 rounds to the face.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Aggressive pricing posted:

Finally got around to watching Looper. The time travel was stupid, it worked however the plot needed it to on a scene by scene basis, but the thing that really bothered me was, if the whole point of loopers were to dispose of bodies because it's impossible to get away with murder in the future, why did the guys going after Bruce Willis have guns with lethal ammo? By killing his wife, they caused the exact loving thing loopers are supposed to prevent, but all they do is torch the house and drive away. If it's that easy, why bother with time travel in the first place?
Not that there aren't other plot holes, but I'm pretty sure it was implied that was a major fuckup. They just didn't show the consequences because it wasn't relevant to the story.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

made of bees posted:

the best movie CPR was in John Carpenter's The Thing

Best defibrillator scene easy.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
You know, I think "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" might have the most realistic CPR I've seen in a film.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Me raging about the CPR in Into The Storm made my partner tell me to shut up in the movie theatre. It's so limply done - the guy doing it bends his arms at the elbows and is pressing down on the guys' clavicle instead of his sternum. I really liked the movie asides from that but that one scene sticks out like a sore thumb.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

mind the walrus posted:

The Abyss is a particularly bad offender in this regard since it tries so hard to be "real" and lets us sit in real-time as he keeps pumping away yet her ribs remain completely unbroken and she's up and able in a few minutes.

Never mind the CPR, it's the defibrillator use that always cracks me up. They use a defibrillator to try and resolve a flat-line, caused by drowning, and they're all huddled together (IIRC, someone says "Clear!" and nobody moves), half of them are sopping wet, and they're all kneeling on a metal surface, in a big puddle of saltwater.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Faux Mulder posted:

Never mind the CPR, it's the defibrillator use that always cracks me up. They use a defibrillator to try and resolve a flat-line, caused by drowning, and they're all huddled together (IIRC, someone says "Clear!" and nobody moves), half of them are sopping wet, and they're all kneeling on a metal surface, in a big puddle of saltwater.

loving lol I had completely forgotten about that part because the drat CPR goes on for so long.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

misguided rage posted:

Not that there aren't other plot holes, but I'm pretty sure it was implied that was a major fuckup. They just didn't show the consequences because it wasn't relevant to the story.

It was implied, but only by the context of the movie, nothing any of the charaters do at any point shows that it's a big deal, not even an "Oh poo poo" look on the face of the guy who does it, even though he'd probably be killed himself for screwing up so badly(Rainmaker doesn't come across as a forgiving fellow). Saying it's not relevent to the story is a cop out, because the entire point is that you can't get away with future murder, not showing the consequences of the driving point of the premis is pretty weak.

But my real problem with it is, if killing people is such a big deal, why do they have guns? Their job is to take loopers alive, they have future tazers and probably other non-lethal weapons avaliable, the only reason for the wife to have been shot is a shocking level of incompetence on the part of the criminals.

Not that it wasn't a good movie, strong characters, good pacing and action, but my god, leave your brain at the door for this one.

e: they should have had the wife hit by a tazer, then fall down some stairs or into a pond, let her die in a way that is clearly accidental, but still leaves the gun guys completely at fault

Aggressive pricing has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Nov 4, 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It was implied, but only by the context of the movie, nothing any of the charaters do at any point shows that it's a big deal, not even an "Oh poo poo" look on the face of the guy who does it, even though he'd probably be killed himself for screwing up so badly(Rainmaker doesn't come across as a forgiving fellow). Saying it's not relevent to the story is a cop out, because the entire point is that you can't get away with future murder, not showing the consequences of the driving point of the premis is pretty weak.

But my real problem with it is, if killing people is such a big deal, why do they have guns? Their job is to take loopers alive, they have future tazers and probably other non-lethal weapons avaliable, the only reason for the wife to have been shot is a shocking level of incompetence on the part of the criminals.

Not that it wasn't a good movie, strong characters, good pacing and action, but my god, leave your brain at the door for this one.

e: they should have had the wife hit by a tazer, then fall down some stairs or into a pond, let her die in a way that is clearly accidental, but still leaves the gun guys completely at fault

The Rainmaker had been killing people pretty openly, judging by the clips that the movie showed on the news/the fighting in that scene where the guy was givin the hospital data. More and more of the people being sent back were Loopers, which makes sense in a "no better way to gently caress with the people you hate than making them kill themselves" way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Actually they do say the new boss doesn't give a poo poo anymore because he's untouchable. Loopers aren't needed because he's Jean Grey.

Arrath posted:

On the other hand, to someone glancing over the showing times board that name sounds dumb as all hell.

Yeah, 'All You Need is Kill' sounds foreign and that can cost a summer blockbuster millions.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
They've all but changed the name to Live/Die/Repeat for the home video release, anyway.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
'You need to kill, Tom Cruise' would have been successful and thematically appropriate.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Faux Mulder posted:

It's cool. Defibs are actually pretty safe to use in wet environments. You won't get much about 30v peak (current 30 mA peak) even in a saltwater puddle, at least with a bog standard AED with the maximum shock about a foot away from the body. Of course, that doesn't also account for those big hospital paddles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another thing is that you never see any of the modern emergency type where it's just two pads that you put on a person and not the paddles.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

theironjef posted:

It's cool. Defibs are actually pretty safe to use in wet environments. You won't get much about 30v peak (current 30 mA peak) even in a saltwater puddle, at least with a bog standard AED with the maximum shock about a foot away from the body. Of course, that doesn't also account for those big hospital paddles.

A portable defib/monitor like a Lifepak can go up to 360 joules instead of an AED's 120-200, so you could probably get a nasty jolt with one of those.

Still won't help if you're trying to shock a flatline like they always are in movies/TV.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

muscles like this? posted:

Another thing is that you never see any of the modern emergency type where it's just two pads that you put on a person and not the paddles.

They used it in Casino Royale, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The last season of Breaking Bad too, though not exactly for the intended purpose.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Another thing: by sending Bruce Willis from China to the US they show they can control where in the world time travelers appear, why not just drop them in an active volcano, at the bottom of the ocean, or in outer space? Seems like they're disposing of bodies in the most needlessly convoluted way possible.

This was discussed to death in the Looper thread, but the time travel is internally consistent, just in a strange way that no film has really done before. And its never said they can control where people end up, it could have been that they transported Bruce Willis to the US before sending him back through time or it could have been that each time machine comes fixed to a certain location elsewhere on the planet.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

jabby posted:

This was discussed to death in the Looper thread, but the time travel is internally consistent, just in a strange way that no film has really done before. And its never said they can control where people end up, it could have been that they transported Bruce Willis to the US before sending him back through time or it could have been that each time machine comes fixed to a certain location elsewhere on the planet.

I agree that it is internally consistent, but the could have dug a 60-foot pit on the arrival spot and filled it with, like, bees or something.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
There were a lot of things wrong with Lucy, but I was able to look past them for the most part. Except for the fact that some lab somewhere made a drug capable of giving people reality bending God powers but apparently didn't bother to test it and find this out. And instead apparently made it and just decided to sell it to street kids to get high on right out of the vat. Did those guys have no concept of clinical trials? And why did everyone act like Lucy's departure at the end was some big loss of knowledge when they all knew where the powers came from and could just make more? It wasn't even a particularly exotic concoction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The more I read about LUCY the less it sounds like a movie and more like a proof-of-concept that people would pay to watch Scar-Jo as the lead in an action movie for 2 hours no matter how stupid the movie surrounding it was.