Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Someone mentioned playing the game like an open world Roguelike with Hardcore mode on a fresh world, and it sounds like it could be fun. Anyone have any experience with mods that make a playthrough like that more/less fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Section Z posted:

I think you totally should be able to go hog wild with whatever crazy prepared setup you want, you took the time to collect and build all that stuff after all. I just think using something like that as an example of "Oh, Boss HP is fine all it takes is some preparation" is really missing the point when other people say how much of a slog a fight can be trying to treat it like a fight, and not a looney toons short where Bugs Bunny has set up a bunch of heart statues to gently caress with Elmer Fudd.

Well, okay. Honestly my opinion is simply that if someone is having trouble solo killing a particular boss, there are a number of means (beyond improving personal skill at the act of boss-fighting, or even improving your equipment and accessories) that will allow them to overcome the obstacle. I think that smells of great game design, because you don't always need to get the meteor armor and space gun to beat the wall of flesh - you can definitely take him on with just a ranged weapon, a bridge and some campfires. The game allows you to balance how willing you are to improve your equipment with how willing you are to dissect the boss and abuse its patterns by modifying terrain. Even after all of that is done, if you're still having trouble with the boss, there's nothing to prevent you from getting a friend to help you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

So get an inventory editor and just give yourself a Muramasa or an Aqua Scepter? Or maybe use a map editor to stick an unlocked chest with those weapons inside the front of the dungeon? As far as I know, Red's done precisely nothing to block mods, cheats, game file editors, and other forms of game editing, so you can still sequence-break all you want if you really feel that strongly about having better gear than the boss was intended to be fought with. If he was making an effort to block that stuff too, maybe then you'd have room to complain, but as things are he just fixes ingame exploits while leaving the game wide-open to outside utilities.

You're talking to the wrong person dude, I'm not the one who brought that stuff up first. I'm just someone trying to better explain someone else's point.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
That's lame that mods won't work with my character that I have already.

Can someone link one of these inventory editors that you keep mentioning? All the ones I can find on Google are out of date or broken download links. Would love to give myself a couple of key molds to save the mindless farming and maybe I can actually finish all the content.

e: found one! Now I can grab those key chest items and maybe beat the Pumpkin Moon tonight before BoI: Rebirth comes out tomorrow and I quit all other video games forever

Rashomon fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 3, 2014

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Saxophone posted:

people got bored in the Starbound thread

There isn't poo poo to do in Starbound itself except get bored so who can blame them?

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!
My brother keeps disconnecting from the server(thus returning to spawn) due to my or his terrible internet, so I decided to try TShock, to teleport him back to me. Problem is, he can't seem to connect to it, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is the TShock window supposed to show my (public)IP address in the title bar? All it shows is 0.0.0.0:7777.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fizbin posted:

My brother keeps disconnecting from the server(thus returning to spawn) due to my or his terrible internet, so I decided to try TShock, to teleport him back to me. Problem is, he can't seem to connect to it, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is the TShock window supposed to show my (public)IP address in the title bar? All it shows is 0.0.0.0:7777.

For recollection, yes, it's supposed to show your IP. As I haven't used TShock in forever, I can't help much, though.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Main Paineframe posted:

So get an inventory editor and just give yourself a Muramasa or an Aqua Scepter? Or maybe use a map editor to stick an unlocked chest with those weapons inside the front of the dungeon? As far as I know, Red's done precisely nothing to block mods, cheats, game file editors, and other forms of game editing, so you can still sequence-break all you want if you really feel that strongly about having better gear than the boss was intended to be fought with. If he was making an effort to block that stuff too, maybe then you'd have room to complain, but as things are he just fixes ingame exploits while leaving the game wide-open to outside utilities.

But see, the things is, inventory editing and save hacking isn't fun. It's effortless and unrewarding. On the other hand, finding a way to 'break sequence' and be rewarded for it within the means the game provides for you is fun. It's usually quite dangerous and difficult, and it makes you feel sneaky and clever and daring and cool when you pull it off. It's not about the destination. It's about the journey, and some people just find another route more interesting.

I certainly don't mind games having an intended linear progression, and I can understand a developer wanting to close off more egregious exploits in their game, but I feel like I can speak for a lot of people in this thread when I say that I feel like Red might have been a bit overzealous in stamping out that sort of thing, and maybe he could have let one or two things slide. Like, going out and hunting Ice Golems during blizzards used to be a pretty risky thing with a character fresh into hard mode, but the rewards were worth it: it got you a nice set of cool looking armor that was up to snuff against most of the hard mode trash mobs. Then the Frost armor got nerfed to require hallowed bars, so that high risk high reward option was closed off. Where once there were many legitimate roads to take to a destination, now there is but one. A really grindy, kind of tedious road.

I'm not mad about it; just kind of disappointed.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Why do people say ice golems are a risk, they can't do anything through walls so you can cheese them with a bunker.

Why is normal progress tedious but plinking away at ice golems or hardmode dungeon monsters with a clockwork rifle until you get lucky isn't.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I dunno. Maybe because I didn't cheese them with a bunker? That's kind of exactly the thing you don't seem to realize: Even if a shortcut/exploit/cheese strategy exists, you don't have to do it if you don't want to. It's like you don't realize that a middle ground exists between "Doing everything exactly as Red laid out" and "Save-editing yourself every piece of gear."

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You'd played the game enough that general gameplay and combat feels like a huge chore, so you're disappointed that if you make a new character you can no longer skip entire legs of progression to get to the endgame that you hate because it's too hard and there's no shortcuts around it.

What's the point. Also before they locked gold chests did you just make a new world if you didn't find a muramasa in the chests you could dive to, everybody seems really hung up over it specifically.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Fighting a monster than can kill you in two or three hits for a slim chance at a good weapon to use against other monsters, or a really good chance at a similar weapon after one or two successes: bad

Avoiding multiple monsters than can and will, under every circumstance except for one very specific one (best defesnive armor, boosted health, hard-mode max HP, special rare accessories) kill you in a single hit for a slim chance at a good weapon to use against other monsters: good

Some of the restrictions he's put up are loving stupid, but most others are not even close to a big of a deal as people are making them out to be.

E: "two or three hits" is being generous, even, as that's assuming you don't somehow have full health from pre-hard cave exploring, you haven't run around before fighting bosses in order to dig up ore, you're somehow out of the potions you'd be flush with due to pot-bashing in hell, and you never found one of the many accessories that straight up give you armor or resistances, all of which you be complaining about having to grind if you could skip them by sprinting away from this or exploiting a game mechanic for that, because eventually you're probably going to need all four to fight end-game bosses by yourself anyway.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 4, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I thought the new patch was out but it was just cardiovorax getting trolled for three pages. Speaking of the new patch has anyone seen an estimated release date? Wanna go to that moon. Probably I'll just inventory edit in a set of endgame armor so I don't have to go through all that again.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I can't really comment on dungeon guardian running, because I've never done that. All I'm saying is that I had a lot of fun fighting the Ice Golems when I first got to Hard Mode. It was kind of like a miniboss, for me. Fought him out in the open where I had room to maneuver, learned his AI over the course of a couple deaths, tackled the challenge, felt pretty cool for accomplishing it, and got a neat reward for it that gave me a leg up in Hard Mode. Now there's no point to doing it until I've already gone through and gotten Adamantite armor and beaten the mechanical bosses, at which point the Ice Golems are completely non-threatening and unsatisfying to fight, and that kind of makes me a little sad.

I'm sorry that offends you.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Getting ice armor to "get a leg up" for hard mode is good but normal progression making a single enemy you can run into on the surface too easy is bad.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Depends on the grind up to it. If adamantite bars are still a 5:1 crafting ratio then yeah it's a boring slog of a few hours chugging spelunkers constantly.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
It's not like all sequence breaks are gone; after killing the mechanical bosses you can immediately get some of the best weapons in the game from the moon events. Everscream isn't all that hard to kill even with bad stuff and he drops the best overall magic weapon in the game.

edit: actually I'm dumb and the moon events require ectoplasm. I got lazy and took some out of one of my worlds on the last game I played.

Well, Duke Fishron is always available, but killing him out of sequence is probably a bit of an ordeal. Can't imagine being able to dodge around his attacks without a hoverboard.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 4, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's possible but yeah, killing him out of "order" is rough.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Devour, quit putting words into my mouth. I never said the normal progression was bad. Grindy and tedious sometimes, but not bad. All I'm saying is I miss some of the optional alternatives to 'normal' progression that used to be in the game. Fishing up the shark pickaxe from the ocean and skipping the copper-iron-gold progression is basically the same thing.

Can't really comment on the moon events or Fishron. Out of all those, I've only done the Halloween moon. I did it with three end-tier geared friends, and it was a horrible boring slog that put me off the game for a good while, so I haven't had occasion to try the other new stuff.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Katsuma posted:

Devour, quit putting words into my mouth. I never said the normal progression was bad. Grindy and tedious sometimes, but not bad. All I'm saying is I miss some of the optional alternatives to 'normal' progression that used to be in the game. Fishing up the shark pickaxe from the ocean and skipping the copper-iron-gold progression is basically the same thing.

Can't really comment on the moon events or Fishron. Out of all those, I've only done the Halloween moon. I did it with three end-tier geared friends, and it was a horrible boring slog that put me off the game for a good while, so I haven't had occasion to try the other new stuff.

Stop replying to Devour. Devour is a straight troll. Go look at some post history in the Starbound thread. I'll wait.

*Hums*

See? Put him/her on ignore and just roll on.

This has been your public service announcement from Sax.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Saxophone posted:

Stop replying to Devour. Devour is a straight troll. Go look at some post history in the Starbound thread. I'll wait.

*Hums*

See? Put him/her on ignore and just roll on.

This has been your public service announcement from Sax.

Goddamn, you weren't kidding. :stare:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao yeah just plug your ears and hum, the bad man will go away soon

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Someone with different opinion you is automatically a troll.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Katsuma posted:

Goddamn, you weren't kidding. :stare:

Right? If it weren't JUST as obnoxious I'd just follow him around on these drat forums linking back to that thread every time he posts.

God I want the new patch so bad. I saw a digging machine and I want to be inside of it.

SirSamVimes posted:

Someone with different opinion you is automatically a troll.

You didn't look at his posts, did you?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

His posts in the Starbound thread? Definitely trolling, but that thread's garbage right now anyway and everyone was pitching in to the shitfest.

His posts in this thread? Actual opinions and defending his position on gating. Perhaps his posts were a little rough around the edges but I guess that's what the ignore button's for, blocking out opinions that hurt your feelings.

lmao at going into a person's post history and taking their behavior in a completely different thread over how they're acting and what they're talking about in the actual relevant thread.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 5, 2014

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
Trolling or not, he's entertaining and right.

Katsuma posted:

I can't really comment on dungeon guardian running, because I've never done that. All I'm saying is that I had a lot of fun fighting the Ice Golems when I first got to Hard Mode. It was kind of like a miniboss, for me. Fought him out in the open where I had room to maneuver, learned his AI over the course of a couple deaths, tackled the challenge, felt pretty cool for accomplishing it, and got a neat reward for it that gave me a leg up in Hard Mode. Now there's no point to doing it until I've already gone through and gotten Adamantite armor and beaten the mechanical bosses, at which point the Ice Golems are completely non-threatening and unsatisfying to fight, and that kind of makes me a little sad.

I'm sorry that offends you.
I'm currently playing for the first time and also killed a bunch of ice golems starting hardmode, only I brought a pit and a bucket of lava. Maybe that's not cool enough but if people want to ignore the game's zillion tools in order to make things harder on themselves it's on them, not on the game, and the game is going to be balanced around those zillion tools, not around the guy with a sword and handful of healing potions. Having a pit and bucket spit out armor that'd obsolete the entire hardmore gear progression is not actually good for the game, never mind stuff like how free dungeon loot is cool as long as you have to repeatedly suicide for it, which is also cool.

That said, the pure autopilot setups that are apparently necessary to solo frost moon aren't cool and it's also not cool if the next patch just crushes the horseman sword and calls it a day.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Is the Frost Moon the actual end-game? Because I haven't been able to complete it by myself but I've been demolishing basically everything else, and I'm not going to be too upset that I can't beat it if I don't actually need anything you get from it. I don't like using the wiki lol

Since he's adding timers to the various events, maybe he's balancing them in other ways? Actually balancing too, not "balancing" like he usually does.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao at going into a person's post history and taking their behavior in a completely different thread over how they're acting and what they're talking about in the actual relevant thread.

"don't just a person on their posting history, but also definitely judge a person on their posting history."

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Is the Frost Moon the actual end-game? Because I haven't been able to complete it by myself but I've been demolishing basically everything else, and I'm not going to be too upset that I can't beat it if I don't actually need anything you get from it. I don't like using the wiki lol

Since he's adding timers to the various events, maybe he's balancing them in other ways? Actually balancing too, not "balancing" like he usually does.

Along with Duke Fishron, it drops some of the best weapons in the game, including what I consider to be the best magic weapon overall (the Razorpine). The Blizzard Staff is sorta cool but too awkward to really use while the North Pole is strong and silly in about equal measure.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I remember people hyping up the North Pole a ton but when I finally got one it felt way too gimmicky.

I hope 1.3 adds a final flamethrower upgrade that maybe works underwater and is also visually appealing, I don't like the elf melter's backpack.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Along with Duke Fishron, it drops some of the best weapons in the game, including what I consider to be the best magic weapon overall (the Razorpine). The Blizzard Staff is sorta cool but too awkward to really use while the North Pole is strong and silly in about equal measure.
The Razorpine is the "best" in terms of single target damage, but I think the Razorblade Typhoon is probably better overall. The damage output is still insane and the way it just homes in on basically anything and can kill a whole crowd just by itself makes it more generally useful.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Alright. At this point I've made Fishron my bitch several times over so if it's on par with him, I don't think I'm going to kill myself over getting the Frost Moon done, at last in single player. I'm fine with my Tera Blade/Golem Fist.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

TheSpookyDanger posted:

"don't just a person on their posting history, but also definitely judge a person on their posting history."
Look, if you want to cheese the forums using all the tools at your disposal, that's fine... SOME OF US want to do this through normal progression.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lowtax is making it so you have to farm keys to look at post histories, this is a travesty and I'm glad these forums are burning.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The Frost Moon isn't all that hard, though. It's somewhat easier than the Pumpkin moon because the bosses aren't as dumb and near-impossible to dodge as the Pumpking, who fills 80% of the screen with damage boxes and chases you at mach speed. The two mid-bosses' attacks don't pierce through blocks, and the Ice Queen is fairly easy to beat (dodge her until she starts spinning then fire away).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I attempted it once but I'm not sure if I was geared as I am now. After that I read a bunch of stuff about it being impossible apparently and just haven't attempted it since. I'll try it again tonight maybe.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The frost moon you chug a warmth potion for like 30% damage reduction from all sources, and the thing about Pumpking is his damage from both touch and the lingering fire are both really low but his slash lasers are really strong, so it's best to just facetank him when he's not shooting the lasers and focus on dodging Mourning Woods since they'll be the ones killing you if you let them hit you.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I miss being able to flood hell(e: without it evaporating rapidly), even with the occasional bug where draining an ocean sometimes caused the game to eat about 1/8th of the world map and turn it in to a giant chasm where you could watch enemies spawn and fall past you non-stop because the game didn't know any better.

Infinity Gaia posted:

It was never really particularly wide open, though? The only significant progression changes added after the fact were keys (golden and shadow varieties) and making Plantera require the three mechanical bosses. Everything else about progression has been the same as it is now, hasn't it?

There was some changes with shadowscale/hellstone/meteorite long ago but that was also back when Terraria's use of Final Fantasy sprites was as blatant as it could get without stealing the fanfare to play when combat ended.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 7, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Turning burning hell into drowning hell was neat asthetically. Terraria really should have a "Burning/Drowning Hell" thing like Corruption/Crimtane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Thyrork posted:

Turning burning hell into drowning hell was neat asthetically. Terraria really should have a "Burning/Drowning Hell" thing like Corruption/Crimtane.

It'd be cool to see alternate biomes like that, like an underground desert replacing the underground jungle on some maps.

Or maybe a Frozen Hell, where the lava is replaced with light blue liquid nitrogen that inflicts frostburn, and there's more ice-themed demons than fire. Liquid nitrogen could also be used in place of lava for the lower portions of the underground snow biome, letting it extend past the lava level.

• Locked thread