Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

It's sooo loving comfortable. It's unreal how it just fits all smug against my body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

That's the feel! Good buy then.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
my cable broke and i can't find another, or even another copy of the game in the local stores. Ebay my best bet?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I like those inlays actually.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

toymach1ne posted:

The Killers Song Pack – $11.99

The Killers “Mr. Brightside” – Eb Standard
The Killers “Runaways” – Eb Standard
The Killers “Somebody Told Me” – Eb Standard (No Rhythm)
The Killers “Spaceman”
The Killers “When You Were Young” – Eb Standard

Hrm, thinking I'll just grab Mr Brightside out of this one.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Mercedes posted:

I've upgraded!

Nice, white and black color scheme guitars look awesome. I just got a white SGJ myself that is one of the most comfortable guitars ever.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

I plan, further down the road, changing all the dials, humbuckers, bridges and knobs to gold. :whatup:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
That Killers pack is pretty solid, first DLC i'm gonna be buying in a while. A shame that it doesn't have Bling (Confessions Of A King) though.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Thinking of getting this splitter or this one so I can route my guitar through my Mustang I while also playing Rocksmith, seeing as I have a bunch of spiffy-sounding presets configured on my amp, and some of the tones in both paid and custom DLC don't quite have the oomph they should.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I use the Hosa one, and it works great. Just fork the input on the amp instead of splitting from your guitar.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mr E posted:

Finally got around to playing this. It's great, though it seems like I had v1 even though it said v2, but the problems were minor enough that didn't matter. Over really great, a fairly simple song that's really fun to play. Can't tell you if the tones are good or not because I play out of an amp.

The tones aren't great, I never play with the game tones up either.

It's strange because in the editor I have the changes I made saved, but when I import them to make a psarc package it goes to the old runway.

I'll post when I'm able to fix it. So far it's still an SA-only song.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Finally broke down and bought RS 2014 and a Squier Stratocaster. Now, I've been on and off noodling around with my acoustic guitar, but entirely new to electrics.

I've read of people pressing down on the frets too hard. I kind of wonder if maybe I am doing that, coming from a steel string acoustic. The strings are very easy to press down on the Strat. I've noticed that the needle in the in-game tuner seems to jump up all over the place while tuning. I don't know if that's just how the game works, or if I'm pressing down too hard. I'm used to really, really mashing down hard on my acoustic. Anything less than straight crushing the fret results in buzzing on my acoustic.

I'm also struggling with palm mute section. No matter how hard I try, the game rarely counts my palm mute. Even after mimicking the video! What am I missing here? I have to be somewhat on the right track since every so often, the game does recognize a palm mute.

Other than that, this game is awesome! I'm more into rhythm than lead, so I've been going over the chords 101 and 201 tutorials to 100% them. The practice tracks are really catchy to play. And, in just the hour or so that I've played the game, I could already feel my chord change ups improving! Also, the game has Everlong. I've joked with the GF that this game is now Rocksmith 2014 - Everlong Edition.

--

Speaking of the SO, is there any way to share this game so we can both play it? We bought the PC/Mac version. Since my Macbook doesn't have a CD drive, I had to register for a Steam account and download the game that way. I also activated the game through Steam, then activated the in-game uPlay thing.

But, the GF has a Windows laptop with a CD drive. Would she be able to install the game from the CD and play it? I'm at work during the day and I use my Macbook for coding, so she can't play it on my Mac during the day. She really wants to play - especially once she started to hear how much I was improving in the chords lessons. That, and the game having Foo Fighters on it. (One of her favorite bands)

I can't seem to get a clear answer when I google if more than one person can play the PC version of the game (from different machines) and if they can have their own game profile. My results turn up ways to share the game for the 360, Xbone or PS3. :/

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

Dolemite posted:

Finally broke down and bought RS 2014 and a Squier Stratocaster. Now, I've been on and off noodling around with my acoustic guitar, but entirely new to electrics.

I've read of people pressing down on the frets too hard. I kind of wonder if maybe I am doing that, coming from a steel string acoustic. The strings are very easy to press down on the Strat. I've noticed that the needle in the in-game tuner seems to jump up all over the place while tuning. I don't know if that's just how the game works, or if I'm pressing down too hard. I'm used to really, really mashing down hard on my acoustic. Anything less than straight crushing the fret results in buzzing on my acoustic.

I'm also struggling with palm mute section. No matter how hard I try, the game rarely counts my palm mute. Even after mimicking the video! What am I missing here? I have to be somewhat on the right track since every so often, the game does recognize a palm mute.

Other than that, this game is awesome! I'm more into rhythm than lead, so I've been going over the chords 101 and 201 tutorials to 100% them. The practice tracks are really catchy to play. And, in just the hour or so that I've played the game, I could already feel my chord change ups improving! Also, the game has Everlong. I've joked with the GF that this game is now Rocksmith 2014 - Everlong Edition.

--

Speaking of the SO, is there any way to share this game so we can both play it? We bought the PC/Mac version. Since my Macbook doesn't have a CD drive, I had to register for a Steam account and download the game that way. I also activated the game through Steam, then activated the in-game uPlay thing.

But, the GF has a Windows laptop with a CD drive. Would she be able to install the game from the CD and play it? I'm at work during the day and I use my Macbook for coding, so she can't play it on my Mac during the day. She really wants to play - especially once she started to hear how much I was improving in the chords lessons. That, and the game having Foo Fighters on it. (One of her favorite bands)

I can't seem to get a clear answer when I google if more than one person can play the PC version of the game (from different machines) and if they can have their own game profile. My results turn up ways to share the game for the 360, Xbone or PS3. :/

The only way for both of you to play it is if you install steam on both computers with the same username. If one person is using steam, the other person can't.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
You can do the family share thing in steam as well but I don't know if that will let them use DLC too as there are some limitations. Also you can't play Rocksmith if it's being played by someone you share it with. Easiest way is just install Steam on PC, download or install game from disc and run Steam in offline mode. You can have multiple profiles and local multiplayer even lets you use different profiles for each player.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Verizian posted:

You can do the family share thing in steam as well but I don't know if that will let them use DLC too as there are some limitations. Also you can't play Rocksmith if it's being played by someone you share it with. Easiest way is just install Steam on PC, download or install game from disc and run Steam in offline mode. You can have multiple profiles and local multiplayer even lets you use different profiles for each player.

If you do family sharing, if the user DOESN'T own Rocksmith 2014 they'll get access to all your DLC. If they DO own Rocksmith 2014 they don't get access to any of the DLC. It's weird, but it works fine.

STFU Pumpkinhead
Jun 25, 2000

satsui no thankyou posted:

my cable broke and i can't find another, or even another copy of the game in the local stores. Ebay my best bet?

Probably, but a quick look didn't net anything much cheaper than the $30 Amazon price. I picked one up a year ago on clearance at Target for under $10; it may be worth a check if you have a Target in the area.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Mercedes posted:

The only way for both of you to play it is if you install steam on both computers with the same username. If one person is using steam, the other person can't.

One player using the account can go offline can't they? Myself and my girlfriend used to do this all the time to play Civ together when we only had one copy.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dolemite posted:

Yeah pressing too hard will make the note go sharp, like bending the string slightly. The less tension on the string the more sensitive it is to pressure - acoustics generally have higher tension strings (thicker ones), and if you tune a guitar down the lower tension makes the strings rubbery and more sensitive to how hard you're pressing. You can do vibrato by squeezing and releasing!

Anyway try to relax and just fret next to the actual fret wire, as in right up against the bit of metal you're pulling the string onto. Don't fret on it, just behind it, and it'll need the minimum amount of pressure - the further away your finger is, the more likely you are to get buzzing and have to press harder. If you still get issues (and this goes for your acoustic too) your guitar probably needs setting up, which you can get a shop to do for a few :10bux:

Dolemite posted:

Does it sound right? A palm mute is where you let the heel of your palm gently touch the strings, just enough that it chokes the note slightly and gives it that shorter, darker chugging sound. You can do it harder but it depends on the kind of sound you're trying to make, I'd start gentle and work out where your hand needs to be to get that nice solid chunk sound. Just play over and over with distortion until it sounds good

Other thing is the game is really picky about you playing all the strings you're meant to, so make sure you're hitting say all three strings in a power chord and not just two. I had that issue and palm muting makes it harder to get that full strum

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Verizian posted:

I don't think Rocksmith is one of the games you can family share? Probably because of the uPlay thing. Instead of Play like for other games, it just says "buy".

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Dolemite posted:

For whatever reason on my strat I have to really crank up the ingame gain to the point that it sounds crappy other times to get it to register palm mutes (and fret hand mutes) close to 100% of the time. It works fine on my les paul which has slightly hotter pickups with a normal amount of gain, but I guess the combination of the tone of the strat and the slightly quieter single coil pickups don't work quite as well with the detection. It used to really irritate me when I would see that "Miss!" come up, but I've learned to let go and just play. As long as it sounds good, that's all that really matters to me.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Glad that it's possible to have someone else play the game besides me. Also, I did discover that some of my troubles were indeed from pressing down on frets too hard. I really began to notice it in the shifting 101 tutorial. I could nail all the shifts except the 9-12th fret one. With those frets being so tiny for my girl hands, I was struggling to place my fingers on that group. I'm really glad the game points out if you're off when hitting a note and in which way.

That's a really helpful feature! And, it helped me notice that I'm inadvertently bending the string when trying to play 9th-12th fret notes. The game counts the notes as hit, but warns me that I'm off a smidge.

In general, this game is amazing. It's so fun to play that you forget you're actually learning guitar. Other than accidentally bending the string for those 9th-12th fret notes, I could really feel like I was improving by leaps and bounds in that shifting section. Same with the other tutorials. Progress happens so quickly! And then the game becomes a positive feedback loop kind of thing. You feel yourself getting better, you nail more notes, the game subtly cranks up the difficulty. Then, you nail it again and again and it feels great to do so after the game has clearly ramped up the difficulty each time.

All that aside, has anyone here either done or will be doing the 60-day challenge. I just signed up for it and see how that goes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ps4/xbone comes out next week

60 bucks for digital download, and any dlc you bought on ps3/360 will transfer to its respective successor

also the ps4 version does remote play.

https://vine.co/v/ObutqDMbLJa

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

also the ps4 version does remote play.

WHY? Besides the lag issue, you'd still need to be plugged into the PS4.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Wiseblood posted:

WHY? Besides the lag issue, you'd still need to be plugged into the PS4.

Someone may figure out a use for it. Never know.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

If you play a song over remote play it runs through at a fixed difficulty, without any input from you at all. If you pretend Youtube doesn't already exist it's a good solution for practising away from the TV!

(They only did it because every PS4 game has to)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Tempo 119 posted:

(They only did it because every PS4 game has to)

Sony said that games that required Move or other peripherals wouldn't have to (because there's no way for it to work). It's all done over the hardware, though, so all the developer needs to do is make sure the controls work ok with the Vita.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
If you're a bassist and hate having usable fingers, someone posted a 15.5 minute medley of What's Going On? for bass on CustomsForge. Said user also posts pdfs of the sheet music for all the customs he makes, if you're into that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EvilChameleon posted:

If you're a bassist and hate having usable fingers, someone posted a 15.5 minute medley of What's Going On? for bass on CustomsForge. Said user also posts pdfs of the sheet music for all the customs he makes, if you're into that.

:stare:

I must play this. I thought I was done with customs but drat, that's amazing.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Saw this clue on Facebook:

And immediately my old rear end thought "Another Nail in My Heart", its a Squeeze pack!

But apparently its Killswitch Engaged or something. :smith:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Yeah, it is Killswitch Engaged.

meh.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Cool. I like KSE.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Me too but I'll never get to play those songs because, as most metal post-1998, they will be in Drop C.

Dross fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 3, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dross posted:

Me too but I'll never get to play those songs because, as most metal post-1998, they will probably be in Drop C.

Most of their songs are D Drop C which is obviously much less annoying.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Mr E posted:

Most of their songs are D Drop C which is obviously much less annoying.

That's what I meant. CGCFAD. I play with strings too thin for that.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I actually like Killswitch Engage :shobon:

I'm on day 4 of the 60 day challenge and so far, I'm glad I've been doing it! When I first started, I was struggling to 100% the lessons and their practice tracks. While some lessons are still hard to 100%, I've definitely seen improvement in my playing. Some of the formerly seemingly out of reach tracks are now doable! I've even managed to 100% some lessons.

Back when I took ~2-3 months of lessons, our teacher recommended we practice for 45-60 minutes. To complete a "day" in the 60 day challenge, you also need to play for 45-60 minutes. The great thing about this game is that between the Guitar Hero style game play and how the game very subtly ramps up the difficulty, practicing is actually fun! Whereas when I took lessons and would practice at the house, it was hard to put in a full hour. Getting in that practice time actually felt like a chore.

I wish this game existed back then! Seriously, if you're new to guitar and you own this game, I would definitely recommend the 60 day challenge!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dross posted:

That's what I meant. CGCFAD. I play with strings too thin for that.

The obvious answer is buy another guitar and string it for lower tunings :v:

That's what I've ended up doing, I've got one for E Standard, one I can use for everything from C# to Drop A, and an 8-string.

I also enjoy Killswitch Engage, gently caress the haters.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

To be honest unless you have a set of 9's on there to protect your fairy-fingers you should be fine going to drop C. There's a little spaghetti but a standard-ish scale (24.75+) can handle it just fine. There's a little mud but nothing really bad.

Anything lower than that and you'll need either a 7-string, baritone, or a Digitech Drop http://www.amazon.com/Digitech-DROP...s=digitech+drop

Speaking of which, I ordered one because I was tired of going so far up and down. I'll let you all know how it is when it arrives.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

CitrusFrog posted:

I also enjoy Killswitch Engage, gently caress the haters.

Funny that Nickelback dlc got a better reception than this.

I might get this, I only learned about Killswitch Engage after seeing a video of a guy called Samus playing their songs with a Hello Kitty guitar, looked fun.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Funny that Nickelback dlc got a better reception than this.

I might get this, I only learned about Killswitch Engage after seeing a video of a guy called Samus playing their songs with a Hello Kitty guitar, looked fun.

Whether or not you like them, I find their songs pretty fun to play, at least from the customs I've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Haha I was going to post that but couldn't find it - seems like he took it off Youtube! It's on VK though if you google it. Definitely a million times more fun than Nickelback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5xUgvae2mQ