Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

An Angry Bug posted:

Holy poo poo, they actually listened to feedback, then acted on it. Good on them.

Plus those models look awesome.

Seeing as it takes quite a while to make this stuff, I'd bet they've sat on it since before the Tyranid codex even dropped

Sephyr posted:

But speaking of drop of equivalents, I can't really determine if the Dreadclaw is crap or great. It's expensive, it behaves as a weird flyer, it has to hang around being shot at for a turn, but it's an assault vehicle, meaning it just might save you some 150 points worth of Land Raider. It's also the only guided deep strike CSM can hope for. I guess it could be used to do a shuffle and deliver a unit to clean an objective and rescue another, embattled unit who hops aboard and gets ferried to a safer place?

We talked this over a few pages back. At least for me, its a better option from deepstriking assault troops than a drop pod- it drops down turn 1, has a 4+ jink, and moves 18" wherever you want. If it survives a round of shooting you suddenly have a little assault bubble pretty much anywhere on the table, turn 2.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Seeing as it takes quite a while to make this stuff, I'd bet they've sat on it since before the Tyranid codex even dropped

Or Kirby wanted to celebrate loving over Chapterhouse by releasing the pod.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I've been tooling around with lists and I just realized something.

These spores are really going to hurt my bank account. I might need five of them and I can't imagine they'll be less than $60 a pop.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Mango Polo posted:

"Their crops have withered, their children died piteous deaths and the assets have been swept from their bank accounts."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mango Polo posted:

On that note, how are they going to stop people from just using their homebuilt/third party spores? Is the plan to hope that the proportions/pose are different enough, or is there a significant enough size difference that it would have an effect?

Because I know for sure if I'd invested in some Chapterhouse pods I'd be looking at every possible way to keep using them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JerryLee posted:

On that note, how are they going to stop people from just using their homebuilt/third party spores? Is the plan to hope that the proportions/pose are different enough, or is there a significant enough size difference that it would have an effect?

Tom Kirby posted:

the small, jewel like objects of magic and wonder we call citadel miniatures

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Because I know for sure if I'd invested in some Chapterhouse pods I'd be looking at every possible way to keep using them.

I think as long as you put a third party pod onto the same sized base, you wouldn't have too many issues. Hard to say though. Some tournaments don't allow that kind of thing, most do.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Master Twig posted:

I think as long as you put a third party pod onto the same sized base, you wouldn't have too many issues. Hard to say though. Some tournaments don't allow that kind of thing, most do.

Part of the reason its so tall I imagine.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yeah, between the pods and likely picking up another Malanthrope this is going to be an expensive time.

Good thing I've got a big juice budget...

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Yeah even if there are a lot of 3rd party equivalents people are going to be buying this up like crazy, good move GW.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
drat son those are actually some very good rules! Amazing how with one kit release, Tyranids have been blown wide open in terms of lists.

Those large spore mines actually are pretty loving baller for 15 pts. And the anus artillery sarlacc increases synapse creatures range!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

And the anus artillery sarlacc increases synapse creatures range!

It needs a Venomthrope to babysit it, or preferably a Malanthrope though. because T5 Sv4+ is really susceptible to instant death.
What's the point cost on it actually? I guess we can't see on that picture.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

It needs a Venomthrope to babysit it, or preferably a Malanthrope though. because T5 Sv4+ is really susceptible to instant death.

75, same as the pod, 25 to upgrade the death spitters to either barbed stranglers or venom cannons.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

T5 is pretty hard to ID. The original 'pod was T4 W3 Sv4+--this thing is way more survivable and versatile. Its ridiculously good, the more we look at it.

How convenient that 2 Tyrant Guard and an upgraded Tyrannocyte are the same price, because it's an easy swap for my Swarmlord.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

T5 is pretty hard to ID. The original 'pod was T4 W3 Sv4+--this thing is way more survivable and versatile. Its ridiculously good, the more we look at it.

How convenient that 2 Tyrant Guard and an upgraded Tyrannocyte are the same price, because it's an easy swap for my Swarmlord.

Oh, you're right. Sorry, T4/T5 sort of blended together in my head.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
It's times like this that really make me wish I could paint Nids better than a complete newbie would. :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wow that's actually super good and gives Tyranid players a really great model that shores up a lot of the complaints about the book. It gives defense against flying, deep strike ability. Mobile Synapse. A bunker thingie.

Pretty cool, it actually makes a lot of units that were "Meh", pretty great now that you can just drop them into your enemies deployment zone or drop down on a objective and you have to either kill the Synapse of the spore or deal with the 20 Termagants or whatever.

edit:

Or be a dick and buy 6 to8 of the Sporocyst that can infiltrate and put them in a straight line down the middle of the field as best you can since they're 6 to 8 inches wide.

Math wise you could space each mode 1.75 inches apart and anything that wasn't a skimmer couldn't pass through it if it was a enemy model.

So with a 72 inch wide field and each base being around 6 inches wide, plus you gain 1.75.

You'd need 6 to 10. Then you make a bunch of spore clusters.

Which sucks as you'd have to take 2 CADs, then you wouldn't I think have any heavy support. I dunno if those things take up a slot.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 3, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
...so I'll need to pick up a couple of those kits now, great! Looking awesome, now I'll be getting a copy of White Dwarf just to get the rules.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Or be a dick and buy 6 to8 of the Sporocyst that can infiltrate and put them in a straight line down the middle of the field as best you can since they're 6 to 8 inches wide.

Math wise you could space each mode 1.75 inches apart and anything that wasn't a skimmer couldn't pass through it if it was a enemy model.

So with a 72 inch wide field and each base being around 6 inches wide, plus you gain 1.75.

You'd need 6 to 10. Then you make a bunch of spore clusters.

Which sucks as you'd have to take 2 CADs, then you wouldn't I think have any heavy support. I dunno if those things take up a slot.

Or... someone could just shoot them? :stare:

That's a lot of planning, points, and money for a gimmick.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Sticking a Tyranocyte inside a Tyranocyte wouldn't functionally work, they can't move to disembark but if you were to shoot it or it was to be blown up. Then it'd be forced to disembark I think.

What's weird is they get around the whole immobilized vehicles in reserve are destroyed rules because they are not vehicles, which by the way is the weirdest loving rule.

PierreTheMime posted:

Or... someone could just shoot them? :stare:

That's a lot of planning, points, and money for a gimmick.

Yeah, it's just that it's silly. They're 75 points it's not that expensive plus for 100 points they can have barbed Stranglers. They can also just be put in cover and they add to your Synapse range of your synaptic creatures.

It's a good unit.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 3, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hollismason posted:

Sticking a Tyranocyte inside a Tyranocyte wouldn't functionally work, they can't move to disembark but if you were to shoot it or it was to be blown up. Then it'd be forced to disembark I think.

What's weird is they get around the whole immobilized vehicles in reserve are destroyed rules because they are not vehicles, which by the way is the weirdest loving rule.

Yeah, it's just that it's silly.

Its for flyers. When flyers are immobilized they get velocity locked, its so they can't come back on the table after flying off of it.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Sticking a Tyranocyte inside a Tyranocyte wouldn't functionally work, they can't move to disembark
But they can move...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh then I guess you can do that. Although I bet anything they have a rule saying you cannot in fact do this.

I think six Sporocyst producing 18? Spore mines a turn would be hilarious. Or maybe it's just one.

Look if you are a Tyranid player and you are not using as much, gives birth models as possible you are doing it wrong.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 3, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That is one hell of a kit. If they do a Stormclaw style box I think I'll have to pick it up now.
I'm not sure if I read it here or not but I'm sure someone mentioned the rules would be in the box, anyone else heard that?

In other news, while their website is a floppy bollock, GW customer support continue to be pretty cool. They refunded the postage for my misdirected order and re-sent it by courier for free.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ The fantasy releases come with the rules, so I don't see why these wouldn't. Though you would still need the tyranid book for the specifics.

The problem with the new models is that I need more spore mines and I really like the spore mines that come in the harpy kit.

So many spore mines.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
and furthermore bad rules don't affect model sales

:goonsay:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

"We put so much effort into these Vespid models. They look amazing. I just don't get why they aren't selling! "

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

LordAba posted:

The problem with the new models is that I need more spore mines and I really like the spore mines that come in the harpy kit.

So many spore mines.

Perhaps this new kit will come with some?

I'm quite stoked about this. I'm wondering if they will update these new units/rules into the digital codexs?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tequila Ranger posted:

I'm quite stoked about this. I'm wondering if they will update these new units/rules into the digital codexs?

Doubt it. Most likely an appendix like the Ork, IG and space marine ones. $40 plz

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

The way the rule is worded has me thinking that GW forgot that monstrous creatures don't draw line of sight like vehicles. All five of those shots are going to go to the same target. :downs:

You control your movement phase so you can place the thing equidistant to multiple units and plonk some strangles in each.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Do the new kits really come with the rules, as in you don't need to buy anything else to play them (aside from the Tyranid codex ofc)?

If so, then good on GW, that's one thing we can check off on the "learn from your competitors jesus christ" box. Not quite the same as free rules, but baby steps.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

JerryLee posted:

Do the new kits really come with the rules, as in you don't need to buy anything else to play them (aside from the Tyranid codex ofc)?

If so, then good on GW, that's one thing we can check off on the "learn from your competitors jesus christ" box. Not quite the same as free rules, but baby steps.

Absolute worst you'll have to have the White Dwarf, which is not a bad deal for $12. I use the WD for my Militarum Tempestus, especially since the only order I ever issue is to twin-link things.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Tequila Ranger posted:

It apparently does come with a whole bunch of spore mines. WD says they're slightly different from the ones on the Harpy kit, though.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
The fact that the spore isn't locked into delivering one unit, that you choose during deployment, is great.
The bitching from a friend who plays blood angels is an added bonus "Tyranids don't need new units" "So if BA players whine enough do we get more poo poo"

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hencoe posted:

The bitching from a friend who plays blood angels is an added bonus "Tyranids don't need new units" "So if BA players whine enough do we get more poo poo"

Tell he can shove a few third-party mycetic spores up his rear end.
The hidden bonus of this release is that GW cannot probably won't remove drop pods from future Tyranid codices!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wonder what dumb stuff with come with the blood angels in the new box set. Probably a special character and only stuff with blood angel glyphs.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Hencoe posted:

Tell him he got a new Tactical kit and new Veteran squads when the last SM codex dropped so he can shut his whiny blood-sucking pie hole.

Mango Polo posted:

Tell he can shove a few third-party mycetic spores up his rear end.

Also this.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
whoa there a lot of hostility from tyranid players

ya'll need to mellow out, the path of rage will make you do kabuki to rap music and eventually grow to hate the small, jewel-like objects of wonder you once cherish so much

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Pretty sure we're both being hyperbolic. It's kind hilarious that someone would bitch about Tyranids getting back something that got taken out of their codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love how we are all celebrating that these changes are bringing tyranids back on par with the previous (also terrible) codex.

• Locked thread