Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/98564

Even ignoring the blended frame this isn't "fine" lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Real talk, would you really notice that if it wasn't a still frame?

Honestly, its barely on screen for half a second. I noticed more ghosting issues with Luna walking like 5 seconds beforehand.

Its not a consistent problem either. I'm seeing it on Episode 5 but I didn't see it on either episodes 1 or 2 (Well save for the intro on 2).

I'm not going to say its perfect, its serviceable and frankly I doubt the majority of people will care, its a popular series and its got a new dub, I imagine it'll still sell regardless of any issues, after all people decried Funimation's DBZ Orange Bricks and Blu-Ray Seasons and they still sold extremely well despite the numerous issues.

The DVDs though, I'm not even sure what the hell happened. Watching on a 4:3 screen meant I had to change the DVD settings to 4:3 (It wasn't even perfect then, just offering Letterbox or Pan&Scan options) and then Zoom the thing in because the image was postage-stamped with uneven black bars on the top and bottom.

Its a bittersweet release, a proper dub, no aspect ratio fuckery, yet with muddy video that is teeming with artifacts around the lines like a lovely jpeg. I'm just trying to make the best of it, besides:

RMZXAnarchy posted:

really I see this release more as an excuse to push out a proper release and dub of the series over anything else.

Maybe they just didn't care about the video quality. Its hard to say without actually hearing it from Viz. :shrug:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

aers posted:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/98564

Even ignoring the blended frame this isn't "fine" lmao.

Lmao indeed, aers. Lmao indeed.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I've got the box preordered so it will ship to me next Tuesday. I guess I'll see if the quality is crap or not then.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Okay, so the Blu-rays are more of a mixed bag than anything else.

The third episode has some really bad frame transitions which wouldn't be a big deal if the scene they transitioned to was the same color. (Apologies for the poor quality images, I just snapped these off my TV using my phone camera)

The Fourth episode seems alright, some ghosting here and there but it could be way worse.

The fifth one is where most of the issues show up in a noticeable manner.

Starting with the sixth episode the OP loses most of the ghosting issues. Hopefully the farther we go in the better the video will get.

Haha nope, Second disc and the problems are just as bad right from the get go. Should we blame Viz or blame the sub-par authoring company (Subatomic Digital)?

They made the OP look disgusting.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 7, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Thats that then

Producers are the worst

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

aers posted:

Thats that then

Producers are the worst

Am I missing something or is it just Chibi Usa hate?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How does the DVD have better definition than the Blu-Ray.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

Its confirmation of Black Moon.

Though why is she Chibimoon?

Waffleman_ posted:

How does the DVD have better definition than the Blu-Ray.

"Remaster".

Apparently the next ANNCast is going to have this topic brought up to Viz so maybe we'll get some kind of good official response and not PR bullshit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Its confirmation of Black Moon.

Though why is she Chibimoon?

She becomes it that at the end of the arc.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

She becomes it that at the end of the arc.

Ah, I'm still reading through that arc in the Manga and obviously in the 90s anime she didn't become a senshi at all in R. Guess I know now! :downs:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Ah, I'm still reading through that arc in the Manga and obviously in the 90s anime she didn't become a senshi at all in R. Guess I know now! :downs:

Yeah it's during the final battle with Death Phantom. Who is much different in the manga then he is in the anime.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Revolver Bunker posted:

The mandate that every chapter had to be one episode would have come from a producer (or Naoko). It basically gives the story no time to breathe and the staff no chance to actually do anything like, I dunno, develop the characters

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah it's during the final battle with Death Phantom. Who is much different in the manga then he is in the anime.

Yeah its already much different and I'm only to the point where Koan was killed off. Its refreshing though, since it means two similar yet different stories with the same characters.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

aers posted:

Thats that then

Producers are the worst

I'm sorry, you were expecting them to stretch the story now, in the hallway mark of Dark Kingdom?

Even Toei has their limits.

I for one am greatful we're not playing the DK only run.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 8, 2014

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
It's a shame the scouts aren't getting any focus episodes. It'd be nice to see them get some personality.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's some French episode guide going around Tumblr supposedly showing the rest of the series and if it turns out to be accurate, each of the senshi will have an episode named after them right after Chibiusa is introduced.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That would make sense; the manga's chatpers are [chapter name] - Sailor [Name]

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The french image is just the manga chapter titles. Which is exactly what Crystal is doing (one of the staff members said so). There's 26 chapters in the first two arcs and 26 episodes.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

aers posted:

The french image is just the manga chapter titles. Which is exactly what Crystal is doing (one of the staff members said so). There's 26 chapters in the first two arcs and 26 episodes.

Using the PGSM Re-release's chapter ordering, so we're clear.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

aers posted:

The mandate that every chapter had to be one episode would have come from a producer (or Naoko). It basically gives the story no time to breathe and the staff no chance to actually do anything like, I dunno, develop the characters

Whoever's idea that was, that's the person we need to punch in the breadbasket.
Also whoever made Mamoru less cute than he is in the manga. They took out all his sass and his girlish blushing!
I've officially given up on getting any enjoyment out of Crystal and have let the past couple of episodes go unwatched. That's okay with me; they had their chance and they blew it, and I can move on because holy crap you guys the new musicals are amazing. Really, really amazing. The casting for each girl is so perfect, especially their Jupiter who I basically want to marry. Petite Étrangère seemed to deliberately give her moments to shine, too, with her figuring out the high school dance team were replicants and her PRO WRESTLING BOUT. From her roar of 'Bring it on, impostor!' to her jaunty salute to the audience and 'Don't underestimate a lady' I was simply enchanted. The area in which Crystal falls down so badly - understanding and loving the characters and their relationships with each other and giving them moments to shine and reveal their personalities - is the area in which La Reconquista and Petite Étrangère are absolutely brilliant.
I think I already raved about this upthread but I guess I'm really hoping some other new-Myu fans will share their thoughts.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I love all the musicals and they're my favorite version of the franchise!

They need to announce the Infinity arc musical already, I'm pretty sure it'll happen.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The only musical I know anything about is the one where Sailor Moon fights Dracula because it has a new Sailor Guardian whose thing is "You know how Sailor Saturn had three personalities? Well this one has FOUR!"

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only musical I know anything about is the one where Sailor Moon fights Dracula because it has a new Sailor Guardian whose thing is "You know how Sailor Saturn had three personalities? Well this one has FOUR!"

Its a trilogy of musicals featuring Dracula (who is actually biblical Abel) eventually teaming up with the sailors against Cain. Also features Gilles de Rais being emo about letting Joan of Arc get burned at the stake all those years ago.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

aers posted:

Its a trilogy of musicals featuring Dracula (who is actually biblical Abel) eventually teaming up with the sailors against Cain. Also features Gilles de Rais being emo about letting Joan of Arc get burned at the stake all those years ago.

So someone decided to cross Sailor Moon, a role swapped Vampire the Masquerade, and Fate/Apocrypha?

...why?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Hey now the musical's from 2000, predates Fate by a bunch!

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dove from Above posted:

Whoever's idea that was, that's the person we need to punch in the breadbasket.
Also whoever made Mamoru less cute than he is in the manga. They took out all his sass and his girlish blushing!
I've officially given up on getting any enjoyment out of Crystal and have let the past couple of episodes go unwatched. That's okay with me; they had their chance and they blew it, and I can move on because holy crap you guys the new musicals are amazing. Really, really amazing. The casting for each girl is so perfect, especially their Jupiter who I basically want to marry. Petite Étrangère seemed to deliberately give her moments to shine, too, with her figuring out the high school dance team were replicants and her PRO WRESTLING BOUT. From her roar of 'Bring it on, impostor!' to her jaunty salute to the audience and 'Don't underestimate a lady' I was simply enchanted. The area in which Crystal falls down so badly - understanding and loving the characters and their relationships with each other and giving them moments to shine and reveal their personalities - is the area in which La Reconquista and Petite Étrangère are absolutely brilliant.
I think I already raved about this upthread but I guess I'm really hoping some other new-Myu fans will share their thoughts.

You have pretty much summed up my thoughts on Crystal. I really wanted to like it, but EP. 7 just...nope. :smith: gently caress off, non-sassy Mamoru. He's too cheesy for me. How can a punch take out Zoicite when 3 magical energy things couldn't!? :argh:

The only musical I've seen is the Dark Kingdom one.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

aers posted:

What are the names? I need to find these somehow.

They sound amazing. :allears:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The trilogy is

Shin / Henshin - Super Senshi e no Michi - Last Dracul Jokyoku (2000 Winter Special)
Kessen / Transylvania no Mori (Kaiteiban) - Saikyou no Kataki Dark Cain no Nazo (2001 Winter Special)
Last Dracul Saishuu Shou - Chou Wakusei Death Vulcan no Fuuin (2001 Spring Special)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

aers posted:

Excuse me.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
My favorite thing from the musicals are their costumes. They're all so pretty, shiny and well made.

Though deep down I also have a soft spot for the PGSM live action.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

aers posted:

Dracula (who is actually biblical Abel) eventually teaming up with the sailors against Cain.

Well now I suddenly want a Devil Survivor/Sailor Moon crossover.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Jeez, the quality of the Viz release really is pretty bad

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Seems like a pretty good use of your time tbh

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Why is it watermarked goatse.bz

That's not canon

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I feel like there's probably a "moon" joke that could be made but I'm not witty enough to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Twelve by Pies posted:

I feel like there's probably a "moon" joke that could be made but I'm not witty enough to think of it.

The goatman's obviously more of a fan of Jupiter, so much that he made his own Great Red Spot.

• Locked thread