Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm not unused to self-reflection. Last year, the answer was because I was certain (and still believe) this was a call-out thread and I was so drunk I didn't feel the wind change when GBS became FYAD. I take full responsibility for everything that happened, then and since.

But now, I think this is may favorite thread ever. If you look at it, you'll figure out why; but only if you can compare/contrast my posting to other sub-forums.

Why are you so intent on making yourself an aggressor in a "hate someone else's beloved instruments" thread?

I'm going to type that out again in bold italic underline strikethrough:

Why are you so intent on making yourself an aggressor in a "hate someone else's beloved instruments" thread?

Let's be friends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9J65j2GNzw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There is action, and there are words.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
:shepface:

e: SpoonfulOfFaustus

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
omfg dr. faustus is still posting in this thread? what in the heck happened in the last nine months

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Why wouldn't I post in my own thread?

I just give you breaks until you miss me!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm not unused to self-reflection. Last year, the answer was because I was certain (and still believe) this was a call-out thread and I was so drunk I

Staring at yourself in a mirror is not actually self-reflection.

It was kind of glossed over before but if you're identifying problems with alcohol (e.g. calling yourself an alcoholic) maybe you should address that poo poo instead of obsessively defending your shitass guitars on the internet.

If you're not an alcoholic and you're just saying that to be "cool," then go gently caress yourself.

Either way man, get help.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Dr. Faustus posted:

Why wouldn't I post in my own thread?

I just give you breaks until you miss me!

i don't know how you can fend off gbs trolls from your epic lifeless guitar shredding for almost an entire year. that's kind of like a real accomplishment.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Aw, SM, I can't let you down:
I don't think about trains except when I see them. That is, once a year on vacation, and several times a night on TV talking about how ecological they are.
Is there another train-related question you have for me? I do have video I could take a picture from this weekend if you want to see a train I video-recorded for my family.

Would you like that, Senor-lover de Hispanolas?

faustus, remember a few pages back when franco asked you to paypal him bus fare so he could fart in your mouth?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

Staring at yourself in a mirror is not actually self-reflection.

It was kind of glossed over before but if you're identifying problems with alcohol (e.g. calling yourself an alcoholic) maybe you should address that poo poo instead of obsessively defending your shitass guitars on the internet.

If you're not an alcoholic and you're just saying that to be "cool," then go gently caress yourself.

Either way man, get help.
You've missed an awful lot. You obviously know nothing about me or my family, which I've shared here freely.

I remain an addict to this day. I'm a drunk, but I'm dry. That's the best I can do, any day.

Manky if you can, PM me and I'll talk to you about anything. But let's please keep the realchat about addiction out of the "your guitars are loving hideous thread," please. I'm asking nicely.

P.S. - Calling my guitars "shitass" or calling me "obsessive" when you should have gone GBS-style and said "autistic," I wonder. Stick around, you'll get the hang of it.

O yes, the hater crew is in full swing:

Ootrek posted:

i don't know how you can fend off gbs trolls from your epic lifeless guitar shredding for almost an entire year. that's kind of like a real accomplishment.
You don't like the way I play? Sorry, man; I'll refund your goddamn tickets.

bunky posted:

faustus, remember a few pages back when franco asked you to paypal him bus fare so he could fart in your mouth?
I do. What's your point, Bunkhole?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 4, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:drat:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ThePutty posted:

i googled steinberger GM and i found this

it's enough to give dr. faustus a heart attack

i am down with that as far as doublenecks go

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

There is action, and there are words.

Is this enough action? I couldn't find a red pen for the heart so I duck-taped sweets on there to demonstrate my sincerity.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm sincerely touched by your effort. Please accept thi- *FAAAAART*

muike posted:

i am down with that as far as doublenecks go
Even with the electronics? Wouldn't you want to mix it up a bit?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

I remain an addict to this day. I'm a drunk, but I'm dry. That's the best I can do, any day.

Sincerely glad to hear it, fella, stay away from the sauce.

White pearloid pickguards just make me gag v:shobon:v

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dr. Faustus posted:

Even with the electronics? Wouldn't you want to mix it up a bit?

i would rather have a single humbucker on the 6 string and have a 12 string on it as well, but 12 string steinies are rare enough

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

i would rather have a single humbucker on the 6 string and have a 12 string on it as well, but 12 string steinies are rare enough
Just imagine the cost of keeping a clean double-ball-end 12 (with a trans-trem?!?) up and playable. I'm not broke, but I'd cut that out of any live set just to save the $$$ unless I was making huge bank on gigs. Is it possible to get an endorsement or something?

There are so many other ways to get 12 strings for the stage, but Steinberger has been the one instrument I've wanted for twenty years or so but would never, ever buy without winning a lottery or something.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They never made a 12 string transtrem (un)fortunately, and there's actually very few 12 string steinbergers out in the wild. There's certainly no single-ball adapter for them, at least. If you really want one, you can grab them for pretty decent prices from Jeff Babicz, one of the original Newburgh factory guys, and headlessUSA. It's not cheap, but it's not unreasonable, either, for what they are. On the other hand, you could spring for a Strandberg headless, which are really cool, or a Headless Holdsworth from carvin, which uses really good replicas of original steinberger S trems. Neither has the transtrem, of course, which is what I'd really like, but hey, they're out there.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm sincerely touched by your effort. Please accept thi- *FAAAAART*

But I put it on a vintage superstrat and everything :(. You've a heart of stone.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

They never made a 12 string transtrem (un)fortunately, and there's actually very few 12 string steinbergers out in the wild. There's certainly no single-ball adapter for them, at least. If you really want one, you can grab them for pretty decent prices from Jeff Babicz, one of the original Newburgh factory guys, and headlessUSA. It's not cheap, but it's not unreasonable, either, for what they are. On the other hand, you could spring for a Strandberg headless, which are really cool, or a Headless Holdsworth from carvin, which uses really good replicas of original steinberger S trems. Neither has the transtrem, of course, which is what I'd really like, but hey, they're out there.
You know, it's been over twenty years and I've always hoped a trans-trem license would happen. It's amazing to me that it never has. Has it?
Although on the other hand I knew a couple guys who tried to keep them up and they said it was like keep a Floyd Rose/Ibanez Edge/Etc. up but with ten times the effort.

Then there's the strings, which we've already mentioned.

White Dog Eggs posted:

But I put it on a vintage superstrat and everything :(. You've a heart of stone.
I'm sorry. I was merely trying to keep the measure of this thread.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Faustus I just want you to know that if you embraced your ugly guitars and mayyybbe didn't post so many goddamn words people would like you more.

Wtf does taking measure of the thread mean?
I want you to know if you'd take it easier you might enjoy yourself more

frank.club fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 4, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

You know, it's been over twenty years and I've always hoped a trans-trem license would happen. It's amazing to me that it never has. Has it?

Nope, not 100% sure why, I seem to remember reading that they were expensive to make, although I couldn't tell you where I read that. When I restored an original Steinberger I had to order the bridge from Ed Roman as you cannot get them anywhere else.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 4, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Well, fortunately you don't NEED double ball end strings anymore, unless you actually want to use the transposing feature. There were a few transtrem revisions, but by the time they got to one that wasn't as much of a pain in the rear end as others, Steinberger was basically on the way out, partly due to declining interest, and partly due to Gibson mismanaging the brand. To me, it would be totally worth to have around. I don't abuse my trems hard enough to even have to replace knife-edges, so I wouldn't be super worried about it.

As far as trans-trem copies, I don't think it's likely to happen. There's not a big enough market for them, and it's a difficult enough thing to make.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Acquire Currency! posted:

Faustus I just want you to know that if you embraced your ugly guitars and mayyybbe didn't post so many goddamn words people would like you more.

he's saying he's trying to be the right kind of lovely poster rather than his usual personalized brand of lovely poster

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Acquire Currency! posted:

I embrace my guitars with all my heart and I refute in the strongest possible terms that any of them could be ugly.
I use words because they convey meaning, and using words is the antithesis of GBS posting now; so I embrace it all the more. I hope that this answers your immediate questions.

Dewgy posted:

he's saying he's trying to be the right kind of lovely poster rather than his usual personalized brand of lovely poster
I am the best poster I can be, even here. What's YOUR excuse?

White Dog Eggs posted:

Please accept this personal, sincere apology:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do you write your F's like the Fender logo on purpose?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

Do you write your F's like the Fender logo on purpose?
Yes.

This is an incomplete answer. That form of capital F predates Fender, and that's one of the reasons I like it. It's not an implicit endorsement of Leo or his guitars. At the most, it's a nod to his acumen.

In fact it's because I affected it long ago (1989) like my username, Dr. Faustus.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 4, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
george michael benson & hedges

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sixteen_Men_of_Tain

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
now tain i can get into

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's a really good album but i just think of the niggerstomper manifesto every time it comes up

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
computer, show me Tain

"they took war drums"

"the thievin bastards"

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

Please accept this personal, sincere apology:

:swoon:

Quilted Maple. 34 Frets. Stupid inlays. Urggggahhh.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it was cooler when there was just one sky guitar and it was one dude's really dumb guitar, then dean continued to spiral down into the ground. however that color combination is really cool

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I really like that body shape.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

White Dog Eggs posted:

:swoon:

Quilted Maple. 34 Frets. Stupid inlays. Urggggahhh.

Why does the 24th fret look way narrower than the 30th fret? Is that an optical illusion?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I could have sworn that I just recently mentioned around here that I was an Allan Holdsworth appearance in Raleigh, NC, back in the early 90s.
It was at a club called The Manhattan, downtown near the Berkley Cafe; and I actually just went to see what this legato/Steinberger dude was about.

When I got there, the guy running sound was from a local music store (back when we still had a lot of those stores around).

Since I had run lights for this guy before, he let me sit behind the mixing board and watch.

I have never seen anything like it before or since. The band slayed, Holdsworth was terrifying, the night was so far above my understanding that I walked out knowing I'd learned nothing but that he was insanely out there, and was still musical.

Last thing about Steinbergers from me:

My bassist played a couple. They were loving indestructible. He watched a heavy guy set one between a couple of chairs, walkd back and forth across it, then play it. It was in perfect tune even after that abuse. And the sustain... well Holdsworth played them and he picked very little when I saw him, it was almost all impossible left-hand stretches and runs; but the guitar was loud and proud and I swear it sounded like a horn player. Just not in the crappy way Metheney sounds like a fake horn player.

One of the coolest nights of my life.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Holdsworth is awesome. And horn is exactly the sound he was going for in those days. I think he's a little more comfortable with the guitar as an instrument nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
I actually really really want this

It comes in green too!

• Locked thread