Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Were the Kamigawa names that hard to remember? I don't find Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran any easier to remember than Adamaro, First to Desire.

Yeah, and Ravnica came out after Kamigawa. When Kamigawa was released, spirits weren't a thing, and by the time Ravnica came out, Kamigawa wasn't the current block anymore so its reputation was already solidified. (And spirits were only added to Ravnica at all because Soulshift was so insular.)

I'm not sure they would have had time to add spirits to the Ravnica sheet after getting the Kamigawa backlash. Stuff in back-to-back blocks is usually planned thusly. I remember them saying the earliest they could add Kataki to a set in Kamigawa block based on Affinity's Dominance post-Darksteel was in Saviors but the Rusalka cycle IIRC was in guildpact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

I'm not sure they would have had time to add spirits to the Ravnica sheet after getting the Kamigawa backlash. Stuff in back-to-back blocks is usually planned thusly. I remember them saying the earliest they could add Kataki to a set in Kamigawa block based on Affinity's Dominance post-Darksteel was in Saviors but the Rusalka cycle IIRC was in guildpact?

Of course your talking proactive versus reactive.

1. Oh poo poo this thing didn't work like we planned in a released set, put something in an upcoming set to fix it! Difficult.

2. The set we designed 12 months ago has a mechanic that likes spirits, should we put some in this set we're designing to play with them? Yes we should. Easy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zoness posted:

I don't think he's suggesting they were added as a reaction to public outcry over the mechanic. He's suggesting the cross block synergy was planned from the start as a recognition that it was such an insular mechanic. Most blocks have a card or two as a high five to the previous block (Dimir Infiltrator, ninjas) but it's rare that you have such strong/blatant cross block support for something. Though it's justifiable flavor wise on Azorius&Dimir, it's kind of silly to see so many spirit cards across all colors in Rav and it's a recognition that the mechanic needed more dudes. I'm sure there will be a good warrior or two in the next block to help that tribal theme in constructed, but there were 34 spirits in Rav block.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Honestly, Maro being so rigid about the color pie is a good thing. It means there's pushback against color pie warping, and this means that the tug of war results in a reasonable balance.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
The extra dose of spirits in Ravnica block led to some great flavour/story stuff. Orzhov making contracts that literally keep you on after your death and your final 'promotion' to their Council being when you die; routine interrogation of the dead by the police as to who killed them; Kos having to hang around with his crappy partner's ghost because he'd nominated him as his 'avenger' in an Orzhov contract which allowed the partner to stick around to make sure everything was fulfilled; Kos' ghost going on infiltration missions by possessing soulless Simic creations; a literal ghost quarter in Agyrem, where the spirits of the dead continue to go about their business ...

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The color pie, to me, (granted, these days I'm strictly Cubing) should be like the rules of fiction writing. There are rules in place as a framework to teach people the basic mechanics and understanding and allow them to play and craft within the format. And while great works come from within that framework, some truly special stuff is made when someone artfully goes outside of those boundaries.

Rules are meant to be broken and it's great to see green get removal and flying or see red work within its boundaries to get a form of card advantage. It's a welcome change of pace from Blue getting everything because wizards (literally and fictionally).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Kamigawa had some of the most delicious flavor a card game has ever tasted and makes for a pretty good Limited environment but it lacked a lot on the Constructed side of things unless you're like me and just want to do silly things like Tribal Rats/Snakes/Ninjas/Samurai etc.

I'd be tempted to buy a Booster Box of Champions to draft at my LGS if I could find one for less than $400.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
The problem is that cards in Magic (outside silver border and stuff like the Conspiracies which are format limited) can't be limited to the singular impact they have when they're released, as people coo over how new and special and daring they are. They hang around forever, doing strange things to balance and to this starting framework of the colour pie that they used to be measured against, just like Dismember is hanging around as a 1 colourless mana -4/-4 that can be played in any deck from Modern down.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The problem is that cards in Magic (outside silver border and stuff like the Conspiracies which are format limited) can't be limited to the singular impact they have when they're released, as people coo over how new and special and daring they are. They hang around forever, doing strange things to balance and to this starting framework of the colour pie that they used to be measured against, just like Dismember is hanging around as a 1 colourless mana -4/-4 that can be played in any deck from Modern down.

It's worse than that. Dismember is -5/-5.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
People make custom cards and try to justify them with 'oh they did that in TS/PC/FUT' it's fine.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Allstone posted:

People make custom cards and try to justify them with 'oh they did that in TS/PC/FUT' it's fine.

Most of the card submissions in the Design Challenge thread are pretty on point except when they do stuff like Commander, or other Suplementary/Straight-to-Legacy Product, cards.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Yes but everyone in that thread (except me) is a Clearly Superior Goon, and not a Dirty Peon From Other Magic Sites Who Is Dumb About Magic.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The Third Set to End all Third Sets!

Remember the other great third sets, like the last third set with Dragon in its name and no dragons? The last third set featuring a tribe that appeals to casual players? What about the last time a third set was about dragons and had a dragon's head for the set symbol?

That's some tough precedents to live up to!

No but really I hope the set is interesting.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 3, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Mardudes attacking Abzan alongside dragon. I like the lightning dragon; seems to tie into the thing about Tarkir's dragons being born from storms.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Mardudes attacking Abzan alongside dragon. I like the lightning dragon; seems to tie into the thing about Tarkir's dragons being born from storms.

Did someone say Dragonstorm?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Sleep of Bronze posted:

If I were that Mardude guy on the horse, I really wouldn't be riding as close to the dragon as he is. He's just asking for his horse to break a leg, and that isn't including being hit by stray lighting from the dragon breath (which is hitting his armor), and the treacherous terrain being churned up by the dragon. Not to mention being stood on by the dragon accidentally.

Also, does that dragon have four wings? Feathery wings?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This set being released a month earlier has to do with the new block schedule right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zoness posted:

Remember the other great third sets, like the last third set with Dragon in its name and no dragons? The last third set featuring a tribe that appeals to casual players? What about the last time a third set was about dragons and had a dragon's head for the set symbol?

Idk what the second set you're referring to is (E:Avacyn Restored and Angels?) , but the major difference between Dragon's Maze/Scourge and Dragons of Tarkir is that's it's BIG.

(I do wonder what was up w/ Scourge and Dragons. A late effort to spice up marketing?)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 3, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Zoness posted:

If Dragon Tribal isn't a thing then that'll be disappointing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Idk what the second set you're referring to is, but the major difference between Dragon's Maze/Scourge and Dragons of Tarkir is that's it's BIG.

I think the second set is Journey Into Nyx, with Minotaurs, but I could be wrong.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I'm always defending Kamigawa for some reason - I thought the flavour is some of the best wizards has done. I think people remember drafting it and all the boring soulshift/splice/hand matters stuff but there were some really excellent cards in the set. Jitte, Gifts Ungiven, Kokopops and top still get played in eternal stuff.

Also it had the honden deck which is probably one of my favourite dumb budget standard decks ever.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

This set being released a month earlier has to do with the new block schedule right?

No because the middle small set is a month earlier too. They're giving us less time with triple KTK and spreading out the glut of releases around Q2, which is frankly great.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I mean to be fair there was also a third set that was a big third set and it featured fatties as its tagline creature and it is literally the best limited format ever created except for maybe one black 5-drop rare and arguably one white 3-drop common that almost single-handedly redeemed the color.

So my hopes are pretty high for another large third set.

(And yes I was referring to Dragon's Maze, Avacyn Restored, and Scourge).

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Were the Kamigawa names that hard to remember? I don't find Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran any easier to remember than Adamaro, First to Desire.

So with nonlegendary creatures, their name is just a descriptor of what the thing is, and tends to be short. Legendary creatures have long names and most of the time the actual name doesn't mean anything to most readers, like Agrus Kos. So yes, the legends in Ravnica block are harder to remember than normal creatures, but there's 20 total legends in Ravnica block. Every single rare creature and a lot of the uncommon creatures in Kamigawa block was a legend. It's very easy for me to name every legend in Ravnica block, and generally speaking, it's not too hard for most blocks that have either a cycle of legends or one or two random outliers. Is there any chance you could name every legendary creature in Kamigawa block and know what they do off the top of your head? Including the ones that flip into a legend? That's the problem with the naming in Kamigawa block.

What further complicated the problems is that you had some legends with names that were easy to associate with a card because their title corresponded well to what they did, ones that people remembered because the cards did something cool/powerful, then everything else. And everything else fell into a lot of camps. The fact that there's a bunch of different naming conventions besides "Name, Title" didn't help either. Heartless Hidetsugu was kind of strange since the name sounds like Hidetsugu is a type of creature, and he was a Heartless one of those. There's a Kodama of the North, South, and Center trees and it's difficult to remember which one was what besides North being the one with Shroud that was good. Lots of names are actually just too similar: Sakiko, Seshiro, Shizuko, Shisato, Shidako, Sosuke, Sasaya, and Sachi are all names of different green legendary snakes. Can anyone instantly say what each of those snakes does off the top of their head? Maro has consistently pointed to Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar being a pretty terrible name for a legendary creature.

Also let's be honest, the flip creatures are just the absolute worst examples in this regard. This is why the people who think DFCs are ruining a part of magic where flip cards are perfect at are crazy. Like, someone tell me they hear the name Azamuki and can associate that with a full card text and card art.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I think the real color pie question we're forgetting to ask is what would a tasty color pie pie be made of? The white section could be coconut cream, blue is obviously blueberry, black is blackberry, red is raspberry, and green is key lime. Seems like a mechanically complex baking endeavor.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ultima66 posted:

What further complicated the problems is that you had some legends with names that were easy to associate with a card because their title corresponded well to what they did, ones that people remembered because the cards did something cool/powerful, then everything else. And everything else fell into a lot of camps. The fact that there's a bunch of different naming conventions besides "Name, Title" didn't help either. Heartless Hidetsugu was kind of strange since the name sounds like Hidetsugu is a type of creature, and he was a Heartless one of those. There's a Kodama of the North, South, and Center trees and it's difficult to remember which one was what besides North being the one with Shroud that was good. Lots of names are actually just too similar: Sakiko, Seshiro, Shizuko, Shisato, Shidako, Sosuke, Sasaya, and Sachi are all names of different green legendary snakes. Can anyone instantly say what each of those snakes does off the top of their head? Maro has consistently pointed to Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar being a pretty terrible name for a legendary creature.

Sakiko - creates mana on your first main phase that doesn't drain

Seshiro - draws you cards when snakes hit, all snakes get +2/+2

Shizuko - okay i forget this one

Shisato - Deathtouch/regenerates

Shidako - Flipped from Orochi eggwatcher, G, sac a creature: giant growth

Sosuke - makes all warriors have deathtouch and gives all snakes +1/+0

Sasaya - flips to an essence that gives you a fuckton of mana

Sachi - makes all shamans give more mana and gives all snakes +0/+1

Also Tomorrow is clearly a nod to Abbot and Costello and completely hilarious because of that.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

BXCX posted:

I think the real color pie question we're forgetting to ask is what would a tasty color pie pie be made of? The white section could be coconut cream, blue is obviously blueberry, black is blackberry, red is raspberry, and green is key lime. Seems like a mechanically complex baking endeavor.

Make 5 pies, cut a 1/5 out of each one and then put a thin wall of graham-cracker to represent artifacts between them. Bam, you got 6 pies to share with your friends now.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zoness posted:

Sakiko - creates mana on your first main phase that doesn't drain

Seshiro - draws you cards when snakes hit, all snakes get +2/+2

Shizuko - okay i forget this one

Shisato - Deathtouch/regenerates

Shidako - Flipped from Orochi eggwatcher, G, sac a creature: giant growth

Sosuke - makes all warriors have deathtouch and gives all snakes +1/+0

Sasaya - flips to an essence that gives you a fuckton of mana

Sachi - makes all shamans give more mana and gives all snakes +0/+1

Also Tomorrow is clearly a nod to Abbot and Costello and completely hilarious because of that.

I checked this and shizuko actually creates mana during the first main phase while sakiko creates mana in combat. Whoops!!!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

homerlaw posted:

Make 5 pies, cut a 1/5 out of each one and then put a thin wall of graham-cracker to represent artifacts between them. Bam, you got 6 pies to share with your friends now.

No. It has to be baked all as one pie so we get bleeds around the flavorful edges. And also hybrid flavors.

:v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

homerlaw posted:

Cut a very very thin slice out of each pie, like, super thin, then put them all in one plate pushed together to resemble an actual slice. Sprinkle crumbled nuts on top.

The joke is slivers.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Just pre-bought some brainstorm sleeves off one of the guys who are flying over to GP New Jersey to judge there (I live in the UK) , so very happy about that.

Kinda wanted the playmat too but he wants 90 quid for it :negative: I'll stick with my GP Manchester one.

In other news, Dragons of Tarkir looks to be very interesting and I hope that they actually put loving dragons in it this time (Looking at you, dragon's maze)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Samael posted:

Just pre-bought some brainstorm sleeves off one of the guys who are flying over to GP New Jersey to judge there (I live in the UK) , so very happy about that.

Kinda wanted the playmat too but he wants 90 quid for it :negative: I'll stick with my GP Manchester one.

In other news, Dragons of Tarkir looks to be very interesting and I hope that they actually put loving dragons in it this time (Looking at you, dragon's maze)

Well given the fact that there's a dragon in the promotional art for it, I think there will be exactly at least one dragon in the set.

Also, I dig the four feathered winged dragon. That's neat.

Edit: I also learned today that the GP is in Edison, and I thought it was in Atlantic City.

I am wrought with regret. :suicide:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Based on that art, I hope that dragon is a Mardu bro that triggers Crackling Doom every combat.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
That might be one of my absolute favorite dragon designs in MTG, ever. It's so good. I'm going to play dragon tribal in standard, it's gonna be loving awesome as hell.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Personally I think the design has a bit too much going on.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

homerlaw posted:

That might be one of my absolute favorite dragon designs in MTG, ever. It's so good. I'm going to play dragon tribal in standard, it's gonna be loving awesome as hell.

Hopefully they make Storm a returning mechanic but only bring back poo poo like Dragonstorm.

Because Dragonstorm has never been overpowered as gently caress.

Maybe in Narset EDH but hey.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Serperoth posted:

Cut a very very thin slice out of each pie, like, super thin, then put them all in one plate pushed together to resemble an actual slice. Sprinkle crumbled nuts on top.

The joke is slivers.

gently caress that noise, take all the best ingredients from each piece of pie, stick it in one piece and add some blue food coloring. Then laugh at people that choose other pie slices -WotC

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

gently caress that noise, take all the best ingredients from each piece of pie, stick it in one piece and add some blue food coloring. Then laugh at people that choose other pie slices -WotC

Then make an Apple, Blackberry, Strawberry pie that crushes all the blue-colored pies.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Make enough pie so that it's easy for people to eat not just the gigantic blue piece of pie, but the best parts of all the other pieces, in one sitting. Then everybody will be obese goons whose asscracks are probably on display constantly.

Wow, the analogy really works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Hopefully they make Storm a returning mechanic but only bring back poo poo like Dragonstorm.

Because Dragonstorm has never been overpowered as gently caress.

Maybe in Narset EDH but hey.

I mean, Dragonstorm won a standard world championships and placed 3 top 8's in a standard pro tour, it can't be that good.

(But yes give dragonstorm please).

• Locked thread