Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Mardudes attacking Abzan alongside dragon. I like the lightning dragon; seems to tie into the thing about Tarkir's dragons being born from storms.

I love it, and if you look closely, you can see it has two sets of wings, like Butcher of the Horde!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Maybe in Narset EDH but hey.

Snapcaster Mage isn't a dragon! :confused:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zoness posted:

The Third Set to End all Third Sets!

Remember the other great third sets, like the last third set with Dragon in its name and no dragons? The last third set featuring a tribe that appeals to casual players? What about the last time a third set was about dragons and had a dragon's head for the set symbol?

That's some tough precedents to live up to!

No but really I hope the set is interesting.

I really like that the set symbol is the same outline as Khans, but it's a dragon head this time, that's a fun little touch.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

JerryLee posted:

Make enough pie so that it's easy for people to eat not just the gigantic blue piece of pie, but the best parts of all the other pieces, in one sitting. Then everybody will be obese goons whose asscracks are probably on display constantly.

Wow, the analogy really works.

Do you have to mention your hateboner for Modern's manabases literally every post you make? Do you shrivel up and die if you miss the opportunity?

The Lord of Hats posted:

I really like that the set symbol is the same outline as Khans, but it's a dragon head this time, that's a fun little touch.
Hey, I hadn't noticed that. Cool.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm not sure if there's a better feeling than going off in a Vintage Tendrils and doing all sorts of insane bullshit like cracking Memory Jars and Lotuses.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Burn Pie: take a cherry pie and throw handfuls of it in your opponents face until they die.

8-Rack Pie: knock your opponent's pieces of pie out of their hand until they die.

Breakfast Burrito Pie: Throw your pie on the floor. A giant ooze dinosaur pops out and shoots your opponent in the face.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Dredge Pie: While staring your opponent in the eye, take heaping forkfuls of your pie and fling them at the floor. Then trade some of the bits that fell on the table for the knife you hid in the pie, and stab your opponent in the kidney.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Do you have to mention your hateboner for Modern's manabases literally every post you make? Do you shrivel up and die if you miss the opportunity?

I dunno, why don't you ask one of my posts on a different subject? I recommend starting with the reserve list collection; that's always a favorite. :v:

edit: I just checked and as far as I can tell, those two posts are literally the only ones in which I address the concept of manabases in this iteration of the thread, so I sincerely am not sure what you are on about, dude.

LordSaturn posted:

Dredge Pie: While staring your opponent in the eye, take heaping forkfuls of your pie and fling them at the floor. Then trade some of the bits that fell on the table for the knife you hid in the pie, and stab your opponent in the kidney.

This is the best yet.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 4, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like some time in the next 2 sets some cheap removal spell will get printed that will make Ashcloud Phoenix a lot bigger.

I don't know why that card doesn't seem to be seeing much play right now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I feel like some time in the next 2 sets some cheap removal spell will get printed that will make Ashcloud Phoenix a lot bigger.

Because it's not that good?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

TheKingofSprings posted:

5 copies of it were played in the GP Stockholm finals. 3 in the Temur deck and 2 in the Jeskai. It's also becoming a standard in the G/R devotion decks.

It's pretty popular right now in Standard, honestly.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Caw Blade: A pigeon pie, but the pigeons have cocktail swords and a man in a cloak removes your pie while the pigeons bludgeon you to death with a battering ram.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

A 4/1 flier with a great death trigger is pretty good dude

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

A 4/1 flier with a great death trigger is pretty good dude

I don't understand how people can say anything other than "Ashcloud Phoenix is a good card" right now.

There's all of one significant threat to it's existence and that's getting exiled without the use of an enchantment

What exiles in this standard besides Anger, Vault, and Magma Spray that can't be blown up?

Also, it blocks Stormbreath Dragon and it hard to validate using two spells on to be rid of it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

What exiles in this standard besides Anger, Vault, and Magma Spray that can't be blown up?

Utter end, curse of the swine, Abzan charm, silence the believers, anafenza, ashen rider, excoriate, gild, King macar.

It's pretty answerable.

Edit2: oh, and devouring light too!

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 4, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheKingofSprings posted:

There were more copies of it than Nissa at the Pro Tour. :v:

Angry Grimace posted:

It's no Siege Rhino and, sure, anything that exiles upon killing it like Magma Spray will make you have a bad time, but 4 power for 4 mana with evasion, with the potential to edge the opponent out in grindy matches? The card is legit.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

Utter end, curse of the swine, Abzan charm, silence the believers.

I like to pretend Abzan Midrange isn't a deck thanks. :argh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

It's very good against certain decks and terrible against others but it's seeing a bunch of play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I like to pretend Abzan Midrange isn't a deck thanks. :argh:

It's still good there, just not as good as Stormbreath.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

*updates Wrong_Angry_Grimace_Posts.txt*

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It's pretty good on paper and appears to be contextually pretty good in practice. By what metric does someone argue that it isn't that good?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

OfChristandMen posted:

Caw Blade: A pigeon pie, but the pigeons have cocktail swords and a man in a cloak removes your pie while the pigeons bludgeon you to death with a battering ram.

Show and tell pie, keep knocking their fork out of their hands when they try to take a bite then hit them in the face with a sledgehammer you have hidden under the table.

Doomsday pie, take a fork full of pie, throw the rest away. Try desperately to figure out a way to kill the opponent with your fork

High tides pie, keep stacking pieces of your own pie on top of each other and tell your opponent to shut up you're almost done, then smash them in the face with their own piece of pie.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 4, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
It's a great 2-of in sideboards and sometimes main, it is not a bad card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Flying is very good in the current meta.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

Flying is very good in the current meta.

And red manages to have a number of the best fliers, somehow.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

12 Post Pie, plant your pie in the ground, and then turn it into a different pie, freeze it, throw it into a cloning machine, and then throw the resulting monstrosity into someone's mouth and make them choke on it.

Rinkles posted:

Good. :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Really, of the top 3 most played decks right now Ashcloud is at least proficient with all 3 of them, doing the worst against Abzan, being really really good against Jeskai, and really useful vs. Monsters.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
White Weenie pie: Cut your pie into itty bitty tiny bites and then force-feed them to your opponent one by one. Aeroplane sounds encouraged.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stormbreath Dragon was one of the first cards I saw after returning to Magic. I couldn't believe how powerful and efficient it was.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Rinkles posted:

And the dragon themed set doesn't even come out until march!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Stormbreath Dragon was one of the first cards I saw after returning to Magic. I couldn't believe how powerful and efficient it was.
Don't look up Thundermaw Hellkite.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Battle of Wits pie: This pie is the size of the entire table. The opponent has no room to eat.

Death and Taxes pie: You replace the opponent's fork with a giant fork made of lead. It's too heavy for them to lift, and even if they use it for their pie, they die of lead poisoning.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I hope Baneslayer gets a reprint in M16, as both a last ode to the M1x core set and as newly relevant Dragon hate.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GR Tron Pie: You place three pieces of pie together, and then a metal man riding on a flying coral reef swings buy and wipes your opponent's pie and fork from existence. Sometimes, you wind up with two pies and two forks.

Equilibrium posted:

I hope Baneslayer gets a reprint in M16, as both a last ode to the M1x core set and as newly relevant Dragon hate.
Honestly I hope M16 winds up being the set where they print a bunch of the powerful coreset rares finally get reprinted after so long or just stuff that shouldn't be overwhelmingly expensive.

Ranging from the strong but simple Birds of Paradise to the busted as gently caress Snapcaster Mage.

But hey I can dream.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Or an official whiteborded Tarmogoyf. (Not like that card would be totally busted in standard, I expect).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Are they going with M16 for the name of The Last of the Core Sets?

If so I expect to see alters of every humanoid (and possibly non-humanoid) creature in the set holding an M16 at some point. :v:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Birthing Pod Pie: Start with a tiny pie and smash it, revealing a slightly larger pie. Repeat until you have an infinitely large pie or your smaller pies out value your opponent.

Twin Pie: Throw handfuls of your pie at your opponent to prevent them from enjoying their pie until you're able to empty a dump truck filled with identical hostess pocket pies onto the table, smothering your opponent.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Infect Pie: Poison your opponent's pie. :effort:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

For flavor purposes M16 should really have the Hermetic Crab combo in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
TurboStasis Pie: Tell your opponent he can eat his pie all he wants but he isn't allowed to chew. You just kinda stare at your pie.

• Locked thread