Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given that GGO took it's sweet time to get anywhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

That's not a surprise at all since Free is the superior anime and SAO lacked enough cave talks and butt shots.

(Free is actually selling that much? :psyduck: Is it on top or is there some idol show which is on the top but its a given?)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

(Free is actually selling that much? :psyduck: Is it on top or is there some idol show which is on the top but its a given?)

Depends on what your time range is. Free s2 is on top of the sales chart for the season it was in. Love Live s2 is crushing this year, though.

code:
Summer 2014 vol 1 sales:

21,130 Free! s2 -Eternal Summer
18,471 SAO 2
14,878 Nozaki-kun
14,258 Persona 4 Golden
*9,478 Aldnoah Zero
*9,204 Black Butler something
*6,873 Barakamon
*5,487 Fate/kaleid liner
*4,735 Hanayamata
*4,469 Tokyo Ghoul
*3,868 Bakumatsu Rock
*3,651 Sailor Moon Crystal
*3,617 Locodol
*3,531 Akame ga Kiru
*3,134 Ao Haru Ride
*3,022 Yama no Susume s2
*2,495 Rokujouma
*2,435 Jinsei
*2,219 Sabagebu
*1,952 Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
*1,917 Love Stage
*1,682 Rail Wars
*1,238 Sengoku Basara Judge End
*1,099 Terror in Resonance
*1,098 Shounen Hollywood
**,813 Space Dandy s2
**,684 Ai Mai Mii s2
**,584 Glasslip
**,516 Momokyun Sword
**,408 Tokyo ESP
**,388 Magical Rurumo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Klein never gets nice things :smith:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dexo posted:

He really doesn't. :(

Kirito being his geeky gamer self though is always amusing.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Can we just get side stories like this from now on? That had good pacing, was fun, and they used the kick rear end flute rendition of rear end kicking music.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexo posted:

He got Lisbeth's respect, thus making this the only time in SAO until now that a woman cared about someone not named "Kirito".

It's nothing in the grand scheme of things, but at least someone respects the poor guy. He also got a kickass hammer he can't use, but I'm sure it'd sell for a lot of money, hell, Lisbeth's a hammer-user and probably has a lot of in-game cash, sell it to her.

Azubah posted:

Can we just get side stories like this from now on? That had good pacing, was fun, and they used the kick rear end flute rendition of rear end kicking music.

Seriously, this has been the best arc of SAO since the first one. Far better than the trainwrecks of ALO and GGO. It actually had proper pacing unlike GGO, even! It was enjoyable for all the...what, three episodes it lasted? It had Klein! And he did things!

So I'm going to guess this is the highest point of quality we're reaching and everything after this will go back to the poo poo that were the previous two arcs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Blaze Dragon posted:

He got Lisbeth's respect, thus making this the only time in SAO until now that a woman cared about someone not named "Kirito".

It's nothing in the grand scheme of things, but at least someone respects the poor guy. He also got a kickass hammer he can't use, but I'm sure it'd sell for a lot of money, hell, Lisbeth's a hammer-user and probably has a lot of in-game cash, sell it to her.

Seriously, this has been the best arc of SAO since the first one. Far better than the trainwrecks of ALO and GGO. It actually had proper pacing unlike GGO, even! It was enjoyable for all the...what, three episodes it lasted? It had Klein! And he did things!

So I'm going to guess this is the highest point of quality we're reaching and everything after this will go back to the poo poo that were the previous two arcs.

Nah, Mothers Rosario is p good, Alicization is different...

Also I could be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure in the Novel did Klein ended up giving Lizebeth the hammer rather than holding on to it the end of the arc.

Edit: For a frame of reference most of the stories not related to Heathcliff or the critical path you saw in the first season of SAO were written after Fairy Dance(ALO) was completed

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 2, 2014

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
So, in this last episode,... can someone explain something to me?
Kirito gets Excalibur, wants to keep it but it's heavy, so he throws it like 200 meters away.

What?

Why not, you know, just hold on to it, hop on to flying spaghetti monster, and live happily ever after?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BambooEarpick posted:

Kirito gets Excalibur, wants to keep it but it's heavy, so he throws it like 200 meters away.

What?

Why not, you know, just hold on to it, hop on to flying spaghetti monster, and live happily ever after?

Nah, more like throws it onto the platform he's standing on, so he can jump onto flying jellyfish mammoth, he probably couldn't have made the jump while carrying the sword. (And he can't disappear it into the inventory because it doesn't count as his own yet.) Then they start flying away and the platform collapses causing the sword to fall, etc.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yui still a super weird point

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

darkgray posted:

**,813 Space Dandy s2

:negative:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

Just FYI, SAO is in Japanese literature classes. Like it's popular enough for them to use it in class discussions on the separation reality and a virtual world.

Are light novels really that popular in Asia? Like would your typical 14 year old actually have read one or more of these things?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I feel you man.

icantfindaname posted:

Are light novels really that popular in Asia? Like would your typical 14 year old actually have read one or more of these things?

Kind of yeah. Of course, they're pretty much Otaku Bait nowadays, but the content in general is meant for teenagers and the market was always kind of for teenagers. The language in them is simple enough that like any 14-year old can read them and poo poo like Haruhi and SAO was pretty much stuff that any teenager of Japan could relate to (High School shenanigans/Stories based on games they played). Naturally, SAO's popularity sort of skyrocketed after the anime came out (In both Japan and the rest of the world), but it was always relatively popular as far as LNs went.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

BambooEarpick posted:

What?

It was too heavy for him to make the jump. That being said, that whole scene was really dumb with him just chucking the stupid thing. The novel just said he tossed it aside and made the jump. It was purely somebody thinking it would be more dramatic for him to give it a good 200 meter toss. And this is why the anime has been incredibly stupid this season.

Dexo posted:

Hey, in the novel, he actually got Skuld's contact information! He got a legendary hammer, the contact information for an NPC, and the respect of Lisbeth. I think he came out on top of this one.

Dexo posted:

Also I could be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure in the Novel did Klein ended up giving Lizebeth the hammer rather than holding on to it the end of the arc.

He was going to, but then people started joking about her melting it down for the rare metal. It was never specified if he actually gave it to her after that.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah if he could throw it a couple hundred feet then he should've thrown it in the direction they were headed, forced the group to land, picked it up, heaved it again, and taken it home that way. Hell, throw it to someone on the jellyfish and then hop aboard.

Shameful giving up your loot.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
What happened with the flight capability that was supposed to be the big draw for ALO?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Paracelsus posted:

What happened with the flight capability that was supposed to be the big draw for ALO?

They explained early on in this arc (I think in the very first episode, even) that flight was unusable in that particular dimension (whose name I cannot remember). If they hadn't, then this entire arc would make no sense, people could just fly into the dungeon, why bother rescuing Tonkii?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The whole point was that Excaliber was purposefully too heavy for him to escape. He had to choose between the treasure and his life, and if he chose correctly the system would reward him by having one of the freed goddesses hand it to him.

Basically cutscene shenanigans, the bane of any MMORPG plotline.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

BlitzBlast posted:

The whole point was that Excaliber was purposefully too heavy for him to escape. He had to choose between the treasure and his life, and if he chose correctly the system would reward him by having one of the freed goddesses hand it to him.

Basically cutscene shenanigans, the bane of any MMORPG plotline.

This makes sense, but if this was the idea then the execution was really poor.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
SAO executing an idea poorly?!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Touché.

Or maybe more concisely: Sword Art Online, poorly.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

This makes sense, but if this was the idea then the execution was really poor.

Well, it was just a setup for Sinon being a badass so I think it's pretty forgivable.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

Well, it was just a setup for Sinon being a badass so I think it's pretty forgivable.
If only some of Sinon's badassness came up in the GGO adaptation :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah, the Anime is hilarious in the way that it doesn't bother to find any any method of adapting what is the Author's main way of conveying information, which is internal dialogue.

Like even using Game mechanics as an excuse would have been easy, Just have Kirito say "I'm over encumbered and can't run, much less jump"

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

gently caress that, if you can steal all the gold ingots in the vault in Dead Money FONV, then you drat well better be able to take Excalibur with you. :colbert:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

That episode was very unrealistic, there are no players who can follow raid leader commands with such precision.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Yeah if he could throw it a couple hundred feet then he should've thrown it in the direction they were headed, forced the group to land, picked it up, heaved it again, and taken it home that way. Hell, throw it to someone on the jellyfish and then hop aboard.

Shameful giving up your loot.

And it's not like he was in any danger, Klein was even shoved off the platform, and he was safely picked up by the elephant-thing.

Speaking of which, Kirito is an rear end in a top hat.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I thought that the whole Kirito/Excalibur thing was more along the lines of him waiting for the item to be a usable item he can equip rather than a useless quest token. When Klien got Mjolnir it quickly became his item. When it was time to jump it was still a quest item and literal dead weight.

That aside, this was the best arc. Short, to the point, well paced, Klein. I'm ready for more disappointment.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rexides posted:

That episode was very unrealistic, there are no players who can follow raid leader commands with such precision.

It was already completely unrealistic when Klein admitted to not using his class skills that constitute the majority of his class and the team didn't thoroughly insult him, call him a lovely DPS, and boot him from the raid.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

It was already completely unrealistic when Klein admitted to not using his class skills that constitute the majority of his class and the team didn't thoroughly insult him, call him a lovely DPS, and boot him from the raid.

Nah, he's the player in the guild, who every one knows sucks, but is friends(usually Girlfriend/Boyfriend) with an Guild Leader/Officer, so everyone kinda just puts up with them and carries them through the content.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

For the sake of roleplaying, no less. The idea of raiding while dealing with a roleplayer makes my skin crawl and I haven't played a mmo in years.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

For the sake of roleplaying, no less. The idea of raiding while dealing with a roleplayer makes my skin crawl and I haven't played a mmo in years.

Roleplayers are the best to hang out with because you never know what strange poo poo they're going to spout next. Love those loving guys.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Yea there's pretty much a Klein or two in every normal MMO guild ran by friends unless you are in a hardcore guild that kicks shitters that don't carry their weight or refuses to optimize their playstyle for their class for ideological reasons.

icantfindaname posted:

Yes, there are specialized chain stores for manga and light novels, also every normal bookstore has a shelf/section dedicated to Light Novels and manga. They are all plastic wrapped specifically to prevent young people from reading them and loitering at the stores. Most of the time you cant tell if what you are buying is good or not other than word of mouth or the internet.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

YouTuber posted:

Roleplayers are the best to hang out with because you never know what strange poo poo they're going to spout next. Love those loving guys.

I can attest to this. When I used to play WoW and The Burning Crusade was new we were running the first instance in Outland or whatever. I was a tank and my friend was a healer so all we needed was DPS which was dime a dozen so we thought it'd be easy to PUG (Pick up group, basically random people).
One of the DPS we picked up was a hunter and for some reason on every pull he'd run up and start meleeing the mobs. We asked if he needed to go back to town to pick up more ammo (this was when ammo was still a thing) and he said he was fine. We asked him why he was always running into melee range (because he was taking damage and would need to be healed which would add aggro to the healer) and this is what he said:

"No, I must fight next to my companion." (His pet) "We have a special bond and would not send him to fight while I cowardly fire from afar!"

So, ever pull after that we would just not heal him until the pull was over. We told him we couldn't heal him because it'd put the healer, and by extention the party, at risk. He died a bunch of times and wasn't even mad about it. Weird but nice guy.
No, it wasn't even an RP server.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

YouTuber posted:

Funny thing is I actually was one of those pretty hardcore role-players that played on an RP server. Before you start ragging on me when it came to dungeons and raids you put your role-playing away and did your job in the party. Anyone who couldn't function in a party like a normal person was pretty much booted from my guild, and we were all role-player's. We were also one of the best raiding guilds on the server.

Maybe it's just me but if people can't know when to RP and when to not RP then they shouldn't be in a serious end game raid.

Now this isn't to say that I didn't get up to what you guys would call "strange poo poo", like hanging out with one crazy person who role-played a nudist. Every role-play session with that person was just hilarious.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BambooEarpick posted:

"No, I must fight next to my companion." (His pet) "We have a special bond and would not send him to fight while I cowardly fire from afar!"
Yea, must have been doing something right for you to remember him all these years later. :unsmith:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

My favorite Roleplayer pretended he was a weed-addled Jamaican rasta pirate, half the poo poo he said and typed was honestly unintelligible. It was amazing fun though!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The most RP'ing I've ever done was Neverwinter 2 persistent world servers.

We have the opposite problem there though, in D&D role players will almost always find ways to optimize their builds.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Unlike tabletop the realtime NWN2 combat often became a murder machine and you would need OP builds just to stay alive on permadeath servers with rear end in a top hat DMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Raenir Salazar posted:

We have the opposite problem there though, in D&D role players will almost always find ways to optimize their builds.

I do that, but that's more of a survival reflex for me who started roleplaying with an rear end in a top hat DM whose concept of a good scenario was 10 minutes of plot, 3 hours of trying to survive against stuff that definitely wasn't our level so he can have his character save the day and then 10 minutes of actually being worse off than we started.

OTOH whenever he would try to have us do puzzles in dungeons I would ruin it for him by finding the solution within 5 seconds because I was raised on Resident Evil, dumb puzzles are my lifeforce.

So now that I DM, I try my hardest to allow players to almost always find a peaceful solution, even if I give them enough firepower to take on half of the Chinese military and they end up extremely confused.

• Locked thread