Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Maybe I have a dim view of accreditation, but since the revenue of accrediting bodies comes from license fees from accredited schools, that seems like a huge conflict of interest. The way the AACSB is rapidly expanding sounds kinda like the credit rating agencies rubber stamping garbage securities before the crash.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/world/europe/27iht-educLede27.html

'According to Mr. Grange, such faith may be misguided. “We don’t ask you to meet certain standards,” he said, adding that, at least when it comes to business schools, “accreditation is not standard led. It is mission led.”'

wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Anyone else doing HBS R1?

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
So I decided a full-time MBA isn't aligned with my current goals. I'm happy with my current salary and unwilling to put things on hold and accumulate debt. Realistically, I'm only after 2 things:

-Getting certain promotions that require a Masters degree
-Enabling the possibility of leaving my technical role for finance or management

What's the easiest way of going about this? I'm currently thinking that a cheap accredited online MBA is the best answer. IE's global MBA looks ideal, but ~$55k is too pricey for me unless I managed to get a huge scholarship. I don't think a 710 GMAT and 3.7 GPA will do that. Anyone have any input?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Does anyone have any thoughts on deferred MBA programs? I'm currently in the final year of a undergraduate degree, double majoring in Electrical Engineerinng and Engineering Physics and I have a job in the oil and gas industry lined up after graduation from internships. I know that I some point I definitely want to get involved more in the business side of the industry so I'd imagine I'll want an MBA at some point. My debate is whether it's worth getting into a deferred program like Harvard's 2x2 deferred enrollment program. I have a pretty strong resume right now (3.8 GPA, lots of experience in both industry internships, physics research, as well as a year working as a non-profit consultant through a university program) and I feel that there's a decent chance I'd have a better job getting into a top program now than down the line.

Does anyone have any experience with those sort of programs that they can tell me a bit about? Beyond that, is it even worth it to bother trying to get an MBA if I already have a lucrative big oil engineering job lined up or is it better to just stick with what I have and try to move into the business side more naturally?

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Pissingintowind posted:

Anyone else doing HBS R1?

Might try R2. Don't even know if I have enough time to do Stanford R1, yikes.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

puchu posted:

Might try R2. Don't even know if I have enough time to do Stanford R1, yikes.

The good news is that the Stanford application is largely recyclable for HBS. I submitted HBS - still working on R1 Stanford and Wharton.

Poop Faerie
Jun 22, 2009

jromano posted:

Out of the top 20 or so elite worldwide programs, which have the lowest out of pocket cost?

Smeef posted:

INSEAD is only 10 months and so is about half the cost of top tier US programs. Average salary for outgoing students is considerably higher than the total cost of attendance. Even at other more expensive elite programs, I hope that you'd be planning on competing for high-paying jobs that will make your debt burden very manageable. It's not like you're paying $200k for an MFA or a T2 law degree.

Just graduated from INSEAD, happy to talk in pms, phone, email, whatever. My experience is that cost will really be up to you, but living in either France or Singapore isn't cheap at all, and there's a big focus from the student body on travel. It's easy to spend a lot. I'm unclear on other intl programs, but if guess it's similar.

That being said, my wife and I budgeted and kept savings as a cushion in case, and came out fairly cheap.

Awesome experience, length of program made it super rigorous but quick return to work force if you can handle language requirements. Time off and return to workforce also limits real overall cost of program, worth considering.

Poop Faerie fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 18, 2014

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Pissingintowind posted:

The good news is that the Stanford application is largely recyclable for HBS. I submitted HBS - still working on R1 Stanford and Wharton.

Yeah I saw there was great intersection, mainly because the hbs question is so open.
I'm already in to another programme so I'm not too worried, especially hbs and gsb are huge reaches for me. What stats are you applying with?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

puchu posted:

Yeah I saw there was great intersection, mainly because the hbs question is so open.
I'm already in to another programme so I'm not too worried, especially hbs and gsb are huge reaches for me. What stats are you applying with?

Which program did you get into? Assuming either CBS with rolling admissions or something overseas?

My "profile":

- 760 GMAT (46V/49Q)
- 3.6 GPA (engineering honors program at a Big Ten state school)
- 2 years as management consultant at a big "one-stop shop" consulting firm (Accenture/Deloitte/PwC)
- 3 years in corporate strategy and M&A at a top multinational technology services company (including 1.5 years as an expat in a BRIC country serving as the regional corporate strategy and M&A lead)
- Post-MBA goal of general management at a technology products company
- Decent extracurricular involvement, but nothing ridiculous
- White trilingual male

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Pissingintowind posted:

Which program did you get into? Assuming either CBS with rolling admissions or something overseas?

My "profile":

- 760 GMAT (46V/49Q)
- 3.6 GPA (engineering honors program at a Big Ten state school)
- 2 years as management consultant at a big "one-stop shop" consulting firm (Accenture/Deloitte/PwC)
- 3 years in corporate strategy and M&A at a top multinational technology services company (including 1.5 years as an expat in a BRIC country serving as the regional corporate strategy and M&A lead)
- Post-MBA goal of general management at a technology products company
- Decent extracurricular involvement, but nothing ridiculous
- White trilingual male

Oxford accepted me last admissions cycle but I deferred.
Jeez that is an impressive profile dude! Beats me on pretty much every comparable metric except perhaps the diversity bit haha.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Hey guys - I have a question.

These are my very basic stats:
770 GMAT
3.3 undergrad gpa in comp sci from top ivy
2 years in restaurant industry (like, actually cooking and stuff)
2 years doing most of the coding for a start-up
No real special awards or anything
Ideally would get into management consulting afterwards to find an industry I really take to
White male

What's a realistic range of schools I should be looking at? Also - would getting more work experience (of a specific type?) help my odds a lot? Clearly I'm off the "prestige" track right now, which is sort of why I'm interested in the MBA in the first place.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
I think with that GMAT score and a degree from a top ivy, you should be comfortable applying anywhere you want. I mean if you take HBS as an example, you're higher than average on GMAT score and lower then average on GPA (but in an engineering major, which may help?). http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/class-profile/Pages/default.aspx
In the application process make sure you tell a good story of why you worked the restaurant industry for two years (after college?). Also, focus on any responsibilities you had for the start up that were not directly coding related (did you do any project management or leadership type stuff? Maybe product planning for the start up?)
Your numbers look decent so focus on your story. Explain why you're off the "prestige" track as you say, spin it as positive and talk about how those experiences made you want to go to business schools and what skills you will contribute to where you are applying.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

bouncyman posted:

I think with that GMAT score and a degree from a top ivy, you should be comfortable applying anywhere you want. I mean if you take HBS as an example, you're higher than average on GMAT score and lower then average on GPA (but in an engineering major, which may help?). http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/class-profile/Pages/default.aspx
In the application process make sure you tell a good story of why you worked the restaurant industry for two years (after college?). Also, focus on any responsibilities you had for the start up that were not directly coding related (did you do any project management or leadership type stuff? Maybe product planning for the start up?)
Your numbers look decent so focus on your story. Explain why you're off the "prestige" track as you say, spin it as positive and talk about how those experiences made you want to go to business schools and what skills you will contribute to where you are applying.
Really appreciate it. I'll probably post again when I figure out how I'm presenting it. Thanks!

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

puchu posted:

Jeez that is an impressive profile dude!

Meh - my GPA isn't great, and I don't have much "prestige" (undergrad school isn't HYPS, consulting firm isn't MBB, etc.)

We'll see how it goes!

No Wave posted:

Hey guys - I have a question.

These are my very basic stats:
770 GMAT
3.3 undergrad gpa in comp sci from top ivy
2 years in restaurant industry (like, actually cooking and stuff)
2 years doing most of the coding for a start-up
No real special awards or anything
Ideally would get into management consulting afterwards to find an industry I really take to
White male

What's a realistic range of schools I should be looking at? Also - would getting more work experience (of a specific type?) help my odds a lot? Clearly I'm off the "prestige" track right now, which is sort of why I'm interested in the MBA in the first place.

Of the top schools, I think your reaches are MIT, CBS, and Haas (they value GMAT or coding a bit more). To pull it off, everything bouncyman said is correct. Other than that, you should be competitive for schools ranked 10-20. Anything past that, you should be able to get in.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
If You're numbers are higher than the averages than they'll be trying to find a reason not to let you in since all admissions cares about is numbers in order to get higher rankings. Although you get automatic minuses for being white males - trilingual dude should just put his multiple languages on there and hope they think hes from Africa or something, and other guy should tell some story about how poor he is/was/his immigrant family.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

anne frank fanfic posted:

If You're numbers are higher than the averages than they'll be trying to find a reason not to let you in since all admissions cares about is numbers in order to get higher rankings. Although you get automatic minuses for being white males - trilingual dude should just put his multiple languages on there and hope they think hes from Africa or something, and other guy should tell some story about how poor he is/was/his immigrant family.
Unfortunately, the cooking stuff was more of a rich kid fantasy. One I really believed in at the time, but yeah. I'll probably get some of those MBA essay books to see what might work.

EDIT: Had an initial consultation today with a professional and woooooow I'm hosed. Looks like I need a new chapter for this story.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 22, 2014

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
They'll all say that though. How else do they convince you to part with $$$?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
HBS interview invite obtained :D

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

Best of luck in the interview! Just make sure you're ready, open and awake... I've heard they like throwing some really "out there" questions to throw you off your game.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Pissingintowind posted:

Boom. Smash it.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Pissingintowind posted:

Kill it dude!

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

They might see through your language gambit and figure out youre white white, so make sure to speak in a thick accent. Or go in blackface. Another option is to act really gay, if you need help pulling it off ill go with you and kiss you on the lips. Keep us updated!

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
This entire thread is behind you (not in that way) (ok in that way)

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
Anyone going through recruiting this season? Heading to Dallas for a final round next week, would be cool to meet up with people if anyone else is heading out that way.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Looks like I'm the proud owner of a MBA. I completed my capstone project last week and my application for graduation is being processed now. The program was self paced and I completed it in about 15 months.

This was from Western Governors University and is an online degree. Most folks in this thread dismiss an online degree and I would never equate this program to a top tier school. I can report that the WGU program is no paper mill. I learned quite a lot and it took considerable effort. I've also already applied some of what I learned and I've already been pulled into new areas of my job.

Like was discussed earlier...not good for someone getting started. Awesome to help round out your career.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Has anybody done or looked at the Master of Science in Global Supply Chain Management (MSGSCM) program at USC? I'm looking for something that would be up my alley and a masters is the next step since I already have a BA in business management. Anyway, it looks like something I'd enjoy from a reputable school not to mention it completely fits my schedule since I work full time (it's online with the exceptions being an initial orientation in LA, a week in Singapore, and a week in LA) and the price is right. It looks a little niche since it is specialized, however still fulfills the requirement for project manager, etc. since I have a 15 year background in the tech industry.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Rejected with no interview at Wharton! :smithicide:

Just goes to show you that nothing is ever certain, even when your numbers look like they should be good enough. I'll have to make sure not to gently caress up the HBS interview next week...

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 31, 2014

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Keith Stone posted:

Like was discussed earlier...not good for someone getting started. Awesome to help round out your career.

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I just got a pretty sweet gig as a fixed-income security analyst with my MBA - Finance. I mean, to some people anything paying under 6-figures is not a sweet gig, but for someone who had an undergrad in Anthropology I think it's pretty awesome.

I went to a no-name State U, and my program wasn't even top 200. My grades were really good though, so I think if you excel at a "bad" school the MBA can still open doors for you, just maybe not doors to Goldman Sachs. Although I did have some classmates end up with good jobs at big accounting firms, Fortune 500s and the Fed.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

What is defined as really good grades? I have a 3.82 with the University of Iowa's program and I'm about 2/3 done with the program. I'm kind of getting tired of my existing job and want to see what other options are out there.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

The Experiment posted:

What is defined as really good grades?

I had a 3.94, all A's except for one B+. I've heard grade inflation is bad in grad school, but I think 3.8+ is respectable. I was just barely in the top 10% of my class which I think is a better indicator.

I think people get too caught up in the ratings game, like "an MBA is worthless if it's not from a top X-ranked school." I've seen the salary surveys from the top 20 schools and I'm definitely doing better than hundreds of people who finished at the bottom of their class. I'm sure being at the top of your class in one of those programs puts you in a whole different league but that's not realistic for most people.

posh spaz fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 1, 2014

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
According to all the admissions consultants out there GPA is only really crucial for Harvard and Stanford. No idea if that's actually the truth.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

puchu posted:

According to all the admissions consultants out there GPA is only really crucial for Harvard and Stanford. No idea if that's actually the truth.

Most (all?) programs use some combination of GMAT and GPA. So if your GPA sucks but your GMAT is awesome you might get in to selective programs. I doubt there are many people in top 20 schools with bad grades though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm applying at a small no-name private school, but it's cheap, accredited, in my area, and has a campus where I actually want to spend a lot of time. They don't require a GMAT. What are your opinions on this? They put more emphasis on essay, resume and interview. In the info meeting they strongly discouraged anyone under 25 from applying, and there weren't even any in the room, which I liked. I want the MBA because I want a foundation in accounting, economics, finance, etc. while improving my leadership, organizational and networking skills. I have modest monetary goals and am mainly doing this to open myself up for a wider variety of careers, especially internationally. Am I barking up the right tree? How would an MBA program at a non-profit Lutheran school differ from one of the more cutthroat programs?

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

posh spaz posted:

Most (all?) programs use some combination of GMAT and GPA. So if your GPA sucks but your GMAT is awesome you might get in to selective programs. I doubt there are many people in top 20 schools with bad grades though.

Yes sorry, I was not precise in my language - what I read online (everything is accurate and true online) was that H/S do place greater weight on a strong GPA as well as strong GMAT (i.e. you better have a decent GPA because if you don't that 770 GMAT won't get you in), but other schools in the top 10 etc can be won over with a monster GMAT score, assuming all the other bits bar GPA are in place.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Aliquid posted:

I'm applying at a small no-name private school, but it's cheap, accredited, in my area, and has a campus where I actually want to spend a lot of time. They don't require a GMAT. What are your opinions on this? They put more emphasis on essay, resume and interview. In the info meeting they strongly discouraged anyone under 25 from applying, and there weren't even any in the room, which I liked. I want the MBA because I want a foundation in accounting, economics, finance, etc. while improving my leadership, organizational and networking skills. I have modest monetary goals and am mainly doing this to open myself up for a wider variety of careers, especially internationally. Am I barking up the right tree? How would an MBA program at a non-profit Lutheran school differ from one of the more cutthroat programs?

I think it's not a bad idea. Going to a top-tier program isn't feasible for most people, for many reasons. I think you can get a lot out of a small program, especially if you're a good student, you'll get a lot of attention from your teachers.

"Internationally" is a big place. Where exactly do you want to go? My experience with Germany was that no one knew what my school was, but they saw "MBA" and assumed I was a big deal. I wasn't, and it was exceedingly difficult to find work there, because people thought I was overqualified for most jobs, but seriously under-qualified for middle-management.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

posh spaz posted:

I think it's not a bad idea. Going to a top-tier program isn't feasible for most people, for many reasons. I think you can get a lot out of a small program, especially if you're a good student, you'll get a lot of attention from your teachers.

"Internationally" is a big place. Where exactly do you want to go? My experience with Germany was that no one knew what my school was, but they saw "MBA" and assumed I was a big deal. I wasn't, and it was exceedingly difficult to find work there, because people thought I was overqualified for most jobs, but seriously under-qualified for middle-management.

Nigeria and Mexico. I've got business connections in Mexico (tourism and mezcal) and government connections in Nigeria, though I'd pretty much take any job there to go back. I just want to be employable and confident in an upper-level position.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I enrolled in ASU's evening MBA program which seems to be relatively well ranked even if it isn't top tier. I just started my second round of classes a couple weeks ago.

What kind of experiences have people had with international electives? I am thinking of doing one over in France next year. Did people find the experience/expense to be worthwhile?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TheGreySpectre posted:

I enrolled in ASU's evening MBA program which seems to be relatively well ranked even if it isn't top tier. I just started my second round of classes a couple weeks ago.

What kind of experiences have people had with international electives? I am thinking of doing one over in France next year. Did people find the experience/expense to be worthwhile?

I'm also in that program :hfive:. Gold team (acct on Monday nights)

I've heard that University of Arizona requires an international elective for their MBAs, and everyone that has done it told me it was in the top 3 best classes they took.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I took the GMAT this morning. 710 (43Q/44V). Ehhhh. I'm not disappointed per se, but I feel like I never really understood the math. I think with more focused studying on data sufficiency questions, which i just don't seem to grasp, I could score a bit better. Going into it I told myself a 720 was the number at which I wouldn't retake it. Now I'm not sure.

There's some MBA tour thing coming to Ottawa next week, so I'll talk to admissions people to get a sense of whether retaking is worthwhile investment of time or not, but has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so, did you end up taking it a second time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
What a world we live in that 710 isn't enough on the GMAT. Admissions people will recommend that you take the test over again if you aren't happy, but 710 is on the right side of 700, and right in the middle of most top school's 80% range. Only a few schools have an average GMAT higher than 710.

That being said, I think quite a few schools might pause when looking at a sub-45 quant score. If you can max out your quant, you could easily put up a monster score. I got the same 44V, but a 48Q and got a 750. The curve for quant is utterly destroyed: 48Q is 74th %, and 43Q is 56th %.