Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirt
May 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

:swoon:

Quilted Maple. 34 Frets. Stupid inlays. Urggggahhh.

Why does it have a 5 way toggle with only one pickup?

What on earth do all those knobs do?

Why did they pick that shape?

Who needs that many frets?

That thing left me with a lot of questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

White Dog Eggs posted:

I actually really really want this

It comes in green too!

Are you sure you don't mean these?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

White Dog Eggs posted:

It comes in green too!

Are deans okay in general? I was kinda looking at one of the custom 450s but I don't really know how it stacks up in the price range

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

I'm going to guess it's a series of different tone caps with an active EQ and piezo or something.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

White Dog Eggs posted:

It comes in green too!

holly cow that is like so 80s

put an Ocean Pacific sticker on one and a Body Glove on the other

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Those Deans are only $200 at Musician's Friend.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

jems are the gibson of ibanezes. hideous and overpriced. grab an RGA used for like half the price, have a guitar that plays just as well and doesn't look like an embarrassing 80s train wreck.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im a big ibby fan but jems are just loving horrible sorry faustus. why would you get those when they have other, actually nice, guitars

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
what if you want to look like a horrible 80s trainwreck

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Fax Sender posted:

what if you want to look like a horrible 80s trainwreck

let me find some of my high school photos if you want a template

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dirt posted:

there is a pickup built into the guitar under the fretboard. hope you like uli jon roth's choice of neck pickups

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

jems are the gibson of ibanezes. hideous and overpriced. grab an RGA used for like half the price, have a guitar that plays just as well and doesn't look like an embarrassing 80s train wreck.
I totally agree with part of that. If you get lucky (and get a real MIJ RG) you might have the makings of decent guitar. You'll still need pickups and probably a fretjob; but you'll still have a run-of-the-mill RG that could be great or could be poo poo. I've played a thousand. Some had fret-ends that would slice your fingers open. Some weigh a ton, some have dead spots and loose truss rods, some just need a little work and some electronics. None came with very good pickups.

JEMs, on the other had, were special. You paid more, but you got the best tonewood, the best fretwork, real DiMarzios (although I never liked the PAFs, only the JEM single) and you got a guitar that sounded as loud and good unplugged as it did when you geared it up.

Your opinion of "hideous" is yours. You own yours and I will own mine; but the quality of the real MIJ JEMs versus the RGs were huge unless you a) bought a USA Custom for the JEM price or b) bought an RG770.

You think my Ibanez collection is ridiculous (I know you do), you should see some of my buddys'.

You, Stux, are talking pure poo poo unless you are focusing on one time period, one factory, or one model.

I missed this:

gnarlyhotep posted:

let me find some of my high school photos if you want a template
Exactly. I was 16 when I lusted after this NEW kind of real superstrat back in 1987. I finally owned one in 1989. Who do you think was in the scene then who was playing tasteful looking guitars and wearing biker clothes back then, smart person?
Answer: No one. VH was wearing "rockin' pyjamas," and playing the same striped up crazy poo poo as ever. All the hair bands were in spandex and playing every kind of Charvel you could imagine.
So Vai comes in in blue jeans covered in solder with metal stuck in them, and he's holding a JEM77FP.

Don't act like you wouldn't notice a difference. The bridge? Better. The body? Better. The neck? Better. The jack placement? Better. The finishes? Better. Get the gently caress out of here with your "80's trainwreck" non-sense. That was years ahead of the '90s when it came out.

Then Gilbert came along and put F-holes in primary colors on 'em. Beach made that amazing Voyager out of crazy woods with oil finishes. Satch became... Satch.

You were either there or you were not. Fly away.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 4, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

Are you sure you don't mean these?

I love those colours, they are truly vile and awful and that appeals to me.

awesmoe posted:

Are deans okay in general? I was kinda looking at one of the custom 450s but I don't really know how it stacks up in the price range

Honestly I can't really say, I've only ever worked on one and that was a heavily modified Flying-V so I've no idea what they are like off the shelf. Those neon monstrosities are like $199 on the dean website though, so I'm going to guess they are going to be similar to squier quality.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

muike posted:

i am down with that as far as doublenecks go

You ever see the hilarious doubleneck version of the Rich Bich?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tacodaemon posted:

You ever see the hilarious doubleneck version of the Rich Bich?

What the hell

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's bad but also kind of good?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

lol really

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Man, I've got Without You on repeat now. It's actually kind of cool haha.

Also, how is the range of Gibson 2012 SG Specials like as a whole? Some are going dirt cheap at the moment, but I don't really like the neck finish.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Tonewoods

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

bunky posted:

lol really

Looks like you got told

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Only read the thread title but by a cosmic accident I also scrolled by this at the same time

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

fappenmeister posted:

Man, I've got Without You on repeat now. It's actually kind of cool haha.

Also, how is the range of Gibson 2012 SG Specials like as a whole? Some are going dirt cheap at the moment, but I don't really like the neck finish.

Mark Gormley has the best videos;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87nkJquHnAU

That guy doing the intro creeps me out.

E: Factor in the cost of a fret dress and set up and add that to the price, because there is a good chance it'll need one. Generally not a fan of Gibson and/or SG's but if the price is right, go for it.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 4, 2014

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Somebody make this the background music for this thread
http://www.zen13412.zen.co.uk/keyb/vl-1-demo.mp3

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

Dr. Faustus posted:

Exactly. I was 16 when I lusted after this NEW kind of real superstrat back in 1987. I finally owned one in 1989. Who do you think was in the scene then who was playing tasteful looking guitars and wearing biker clothes back then, smart person?
Answer: No one. VH was wearing "rockin' pyjamas," and playing the same striped up crazy poo poo as ever. All the hair bands were in spandex and playing every kind of Charvel you could imagine.
So Vai comes in in blue jeans covered in solder with metal stuck in them, and he's holding a JEM77FP.

Don't act like you wouldn't notice a difference. The bridge? Better. The body? Better. The neck? Better. The jack placement? Better. The finishes? Better. Get the gently caress out of here with your "80's trainwreck" non-sense. That was years ahead of the '90s when it came out.

Then Gilbert came along and put F-holes in primary colors on 'em. Beach made that amazing Voyager out of crazy woods with oil finishes. Satch became... Satch.

You were either there or you were not. Fly away.

counterpoint: a lot of the underground groups at the time were playing the cheapest used guitars they could get, which often times happened to be gibsons and fenders and whatnot that now people will play thousands for or try to imitate as well

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just had a look at the Gibson website and their zero-fret is weirder than I thought....

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/How-to-Customize-Action-with-Gibson.aspx

Gibson are sloppy as poo poo at cutting nuts/fretwork, this just feels like a really weird way of getting around that without spending the money on training/hiring better staff or fixing their quality control.

Like, there isn't too much wrong with this approach in theory, but it seems like a loving weird way of fixing a problem,

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

White Dog Eggs posted:

Just had a look at the Gibson website and their zero-fret is weirder than I thought....

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/How-to-Customize-Action-with-Gibson.aspx

Gibson are sloppy as poo poo at cutting nuts/fretwork, this just feels like a really weird way of getting around that without spending the money on training/hiring better staff or fixing their quality control.

Like, there isn't too much wrong with this approach in theory, but it seems like a loving weird way of fixing a problem,

Honestly, the description makes it sound like a pretty nice piece of equipment, but we'll see how it works out I guess

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I noticed a rash of new posts and realized immediately that the king of thread had come out of self imposed exile.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

muike posted:

Honestly, the description makes it sound like a pretty nice piece of equipment, but we'll see how it works out I guess

It's actually nice to see them innovating (even if they are forcing it on everyone), but it's cost cutting as gently caress. There is quite a bit of potential for trouble too, when guitar players see screws they'll stick a screwdriver in it to see what happens (tighter screws = more tone!!!) then they'll moan about fret-buzz, going to be a LOT of nut replacements happening soon.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fax Sender posted:

counterpoint: a lot of the underground groups at the time were playing the cheapest used guitars they could get, which often times happened to be gibsons and fenders and whatnot that now people will play thousands for or try to imitate as well
I'll grant you that, no question about it. But let's be real for a moment: you can make good music with three chords and a Chinese knock-off Jaguar; but that doesn't mean that if I take poo poo-tastic knock-off out of your hands and put a perfectly set-up instrument in your hands you'll just want to go right back to the p.o.s.

In the studio, these guys borrowed most of their gear or leveraged their dream gear against their up-front (leading, often, to their death as a band when they couldn't recoup the money is profits) so let's not be too hasty.

Nostalgia is a thing, it's true. I would never deny that. But there's a big big difference between (sticking to my area) some late 90's made in Korea RG and a genuine MIJ RG that's much older but was actually built to a spec.

Case in point: Could I buy a real MIJ JEM now? Of course not. So I settled for a Premium and when it wasn't right I got HoshinoUSA to fix it, for free.

I am not saying you don't have a point.

O, hello:

unlawfulsoup posted:

I noticed a rash of new posts and realized immediately that the king of thread had come out of self imposed exile.

Sorry, I was out of town. I've demoted myself to Earl of The Thread. Someone else can be King, now.

P.S. - WOULD.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 4, 2014

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

Looks like you got told

what ever shall i do with my life amidst all of this ownage

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

what ever shall i do with my life amidst all of this ownage
How about quit posting?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Faustus posted:

How about quit posting?

:drat:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

White Dog Eggs posted:

That's actually the best thing I've seen out of them in years. I've just got used to suffering through high action at the top because I like a bit of air under the strings at the shallow end and fiddling around with trussrods and poo poo always seems to end up with a compromise. Gretsch used zero frets for years and they seemed to work quite well.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

i feel like im in a real pot/kettle scenario here

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

darkwasthenight posted:

That's actually the best thing I've seen out of them in years. I've just got used to suffering through high action at the top because I like a bit of air under the strings at the shallow end and fiddling around with trussrods and poo poo always seems to end up with a compromise. Gretsch used zero frets for years and they seemed to work quite well.

Yeah honestly this seems like a case of laziness being the mother of invention. They weren't very good at cutting the nuts so they engineered a way around it. And I'm sure it's cheaper for them to stamp those out of some machine than it is to pay someone to hand cut the nuts, and labor can be completely unskilled to just screw those things in. Gonna make it easier when Mexicans are making these guitars in 5 years.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bunky posted:

lol really

He does have sweet tarts

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

i feel like im in a real pot/kettle scenario here
That's because you're too confident you're not black as everyone else here.

(hint: )

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's because you're too confident you're not black as everyone else here.

(hint: )

fautist, did you actually get laid for once on your dumb vacation because you're feisty as gently caress. also i have no loving clue what youre talking about

(hint: neither do you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

uggggggggggh

White Dog Eggs posted:

Oh they're adjustable? I actually really, really like that idea. Are there more breakage issues with brass?

• Locked thread