Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Prester John posted:

In service of this and bringing a bit of levity to the thread, I offer this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J14O05N4g2A

I actually managed to get some douchebag who runs an advertising blog to post that on their own Twitter account once. I'm still not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Screaming Idiot posted:

I regret that I've not listened to Hicks' material, but I'd sorely love to -- I've heard some of my favorite comedians go on about Hicks' wit and ability to get a message across while remaining sharp and funny.

Ever listen to Denis Leary? Then you've heard a lovely simulacrum of Bill Hicks.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Prester John posted:

In service of this and bringing a bit of levity to the thread, I offer this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J14O05N4g2A

Okay, I think I need to listen to this guy's stuff. He lacks Carlin's lyrical, almost poetic style of pop-eyed ranting, but god drat if he doesn't sound sincere -- rather like Sam Kinison without the random unintelligible screeching and rampant homophobia and misogyny. Money spent on Hicks won't be money wasted.

Republicans posted:

Ever listen to Denis Leary? Then you've heard a lovely simulacrum of Bill Hicks.

I used to be a big Denis Leary fan back in the day, but recently when I went back to him I realized he was just another ignorant, loudmouthed rear end in a top hat aping better comedians with milquetoast material spiced up with random expletives and occasional irritated shouting. Sure, the "rear end in a top hat" thing is his whole character, but I think a lot of it is just his general personality leaking through. I made the mistake of borrowing a book he wrote from the library and I returned it the same day -- for someone who supposedly hates the attention wasted on celebrities, he sure spent a lot of time bitching about them.

The phrase "Life sucks, get a loving helmet" still holds up. Gotta give him that.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

As much as I love Bill Hicks, were he alive today he would be assuring us that never in the history of skyscrapers has a steel building been brought down by fire. Die a hero who occasionally hung out with Alex Jones or live long enough to see yourself etc etc.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Okay, I think I need to listen to this guy's stuff. He lacks Carlin's lyrical, almost poetic style of pop-eyed ranting, but god drat if he doesn't sound sincere -- rather like Sam Kinison without the random unintelligible screeching and rampant homophobia and misogyny. Money spent on Hicks won't be money wasted.

The problem with Kinison and someone like Andrew Dice Clay is that their early stuff is really good. The characters are these great self aware parodies of sad macho individuals. They are angry, stupid and hate filled, but they are the butt of the joke. As soon as they got popular though they bought into their "rock star" images. So that line of parody and sincerity got blurred, and they became these angry, stupid and hate filled people.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Also, relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZsLF336fmk

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

People enjoy this dude? This is like Dane Cook doing The Aristocrats.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The funniest thing Sam Kinison ever did was guest star as a guardian angel in an episode of Married With Children then die before the episode aired.

Edit: Looking it up that appearance was actually three years prior. They did make a big deal about showing the episode after his death, though.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 4, 2014

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

As much as I love Bill Hicks, were he alive today he would be assuring us that never in the history of skyscrapers has a steel building been brought down by fire. Die a hero who occasionally hung out with Alex Jones or live long enough to see yourself etc etc.

That's another thing I like about Carlin. Despite being so New York he shat miniature Statues of Liberty, he didn't go super nuts after 9/11. Sure, there was a little lip service in the intro to You Are All Diseased, but beyond that there was nothing. No truther bullshit, no cries for the blood of Muslims, no attempts to cash in on the tragedy -- he just went on and did the shows he planned to do until September 10th. He acknowledged the tragedy, but he didn't go crazy with it unlike many, many others. I still miss Dennis Miller and his verbose, esoteric, and occasionally pretentious style. And though he's not a comic, I also miss Frank Miller's gritty, staccato writing and his sketchy, dynamic art. In short, 9-11 didn't cost us Carlin, but it did take our Millers.

The_Rob posted:

The problem with Kinison and someone like Andrew Dice Clay is that their early stuff is really good. The characters are these great self aware parodies of sad macho individuals. They are angry, stupid and hate filled, but they are the butt of the joke. As soon as they got popular though they bought into their "rock star" images. So that line of parody and sincerity got blurred, and they became these angry, stupid and hate filled people.

Yeah, especially Kinison. I cringe at his stuff these days and I'm ashamed I ever liked him.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I didn't know there was actually a time he met Alex Jones that was confirmed other than the the assumption they must have met because they were both at Waco when the whole Branch Davidian thing went down. I thought the lack of evidence of them actually hanging out was a big part of the fuel for the whole "Bill Hicks faked his death and became Alex Jones" conspiracy theory.

But yeah, he'd have probably gone full 9-11 truther :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

He actually hung out with Alex Jones? Ugh...

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/2014-elections-pastors-endorsing-candidates-irs-112434.html?hp=r6

I hope the IRS cracks down on this garbage. :foxnews: is not in any religious text and conservatism is in direct opposition to most of the lesson those books are supposed to teach. Is the tea party narrative that strong to keep the IRS paralyzed? I hope its just the IRS getting an ironclad case together so I can enjoy the :qq: IRS is vioalting my free speech :qq:.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Screaming Idiot posted:

I used to be a big Denis Leary fan back in the day, but recently when I went back to him I realized he was just another ignorant, loudmouthed rear end in a top hat aping better comedians with milquetoast material spiced up with random expletives and occasional irritated shouting. Sure, the "rear end in a top hat" thing is his whole character, but I think a lot of it is just his general personality leaking through. I made the mistake of borrowing a book he wrote from the library and I returned it the same day -- for someone who supposedly hates the attention wasted on celebrities, he sure spent a lot of time bitching about them.

The phrase "Life sucks, get a loving helmet" still holds up. Gotta give him that.

Honestly, after watching some of Rescue Me, I can say that Leary is a much better actor than he was a comedian.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Wasn't Alex Jones ever so slightly saner back in the 90s? As in, he didn't go into major psychotic fits on air every episode like he does now? He still believed a lot of crazy stuff, but he at least appeared eccentric rather than mentally ill.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M--3nWels28

Bored and gonna disect this clip.

-The clip begins with a group of people chanting about a minimum wage increase. This is designed to anger some random conservative by further dehumanizing those who do indeed work minimum wage.

-We see Cavuto switch immediatly over to bragging about the Lowes Robot with a :smug: grin on his face.

"Now Lowes has said that the Robot is not designed to replace robot workers, but we've all heard that line before" :smug:

"So I'm embarrassed to ask a question, If I had a robot? That would be SOOO Much better than asking a person"

...Well, okay. I mean it's not like the people I happened to work with at Lowes had years and years of experience working in that particular field, and can read someone like a book, but okay. Back to making GBS threads on the working class. I don't think I would trust say, finding the best deck paint to some random rear end robot. Machines gently caress up all the time. Something I witnessed all the time working big box.

"Corporations struggling to make ends meet to begin with..."

Source? If our glorious job creators are struggling so much, why not pay CEO's and other various board members less? Why does it "trickle down" to various low level employees or to have prices "jacked up". If you believe in your company and your product, why are you going this route?

And you know what? If they can't survive under those conditions? gently caress 'em. That's capitalism isn't it?

"Lowes is using this as a warning shot against unions..."

...Uh...okay?

"And look you're replacing jobs"

...um...how? Like have these people been inside a hardware store before? People like the human interaction and they appreciate the insight they can get. If this wasn't the case? Lowes would have been dead about 5 years a go, as people would have went "gently caress this, gonna buy it on amazon", like they've done with every other thing.

The concept of "machines" simplying taking over minninum wage jobs is kind of idiotic. People seem to enjoy being able to speak with another human being, they have for thousands of year and I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

A more intelligent person would go and see what Sheetz/WaWa has done in the past couple of years. Those jobs have NOT been eliminated, but rather they've been shifted to better accommodate the business model.

Neil Cavuto is pretty clueless about what goes on in the real world.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Really? No more takers on the culture quiz?

O.k. The old guy is Howard Jarvis, the original "dang-nabbit, taxes!" businessman/republican/lobbyist who passed Prop 13, which slashed property taxes in California by 57% . Not too surprisingly, he was a lobbyist for landlords, who told renters the prop would drop their rents. Guess where the savings went (shhhhh - it wasn't used to lower rents! ).

In his Wikipedia article, he is described as a "horrible man". With citation.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh sweet, Ben Stein has called Obama 'most racist president' we've had. I would think Andrew Jackson would be offended, but I digress.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/11/ben-stein-obama-most-racist-president

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

That's exactly what he's been doing since he "died" and was reborn as Alex Jones

Wake up sheeple :smuggo:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The fact that he worked for loving Nixon and says that should make his face melt off Arc of the Covenant style.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M--3nWels28

Bored and gonna disect this clip.

-The clip begins with a group of people chanting about a minimum wage increase. This is designed to anger some random conservative by further dehumanizing those who do indeed work minimum wage.

-We see Cavuto switch immediatly over to bragging about the Lowes Robot with a :smug: grin on his face.

"Now Lowes has said that the Robot is not designed to replace robot workers, but we've all heard that line before" :smug:

"So I'm embarrassed to ask a question, If I had a robot? That would be SOOO Much better than asking a person"

...Well, okay. I mean it's not like the people I happened to work with at Lowes had years and years of experience working in that particular field, and can read someone like a book, but okay. Back to making GBS threads on the working class. I don't think I would trust say, finding the best deck paint to some random rear end robot. Machines gently caress up all the time. Something I witnessed all the time working big box.

"Corporations struggling to make ends meet to begin with..."

Source? If our glorious job creators are struggling so much, why not pay CEO's and other various board members less? Why does it "trickle down" to various low level employees or to have prices "jacked up". If you believe in your company and your product, why are you going this route?

And you know what? If they can't survive under those conditions? gently caress 'em. That's capitalism isn't it?

"Lowes is using this as a warning shot against unions..."

...Uh...okay?

"And look you're replacing jobs"

...um...how? Like have these people been inside a hardware store before? People like the human interaction and they appreciate the insight they can get. If this wasn't the case? Lowes would have been dead about 5 years a go, as people would have went "gently caress this, gonna buy it on amazon", like they've done with every other thing.

The concept of "machines" simplying taking over minninum wage jobs is kind of idiotic. People seem to enjoy being able to speak with another human being, they have for thousands of year and I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

A more intelligent person would go and see what Sheetz/WaWa has done in the past couple of years. Those jobs have NOT been eliminated, but rather they've been shifted to better accommodate the business model.

Neil Cavuto is pretty clueless about what goes on in the real world.

Talking heads always miss the upside of automation. When I go to a Walmart that has self-checkout machines, I still see the same (hilariously low) number of cashiers [as Walmarts without self-checkout machines], but one of them happens to be "running" half a dozen registers. That one employee is multiplied 6 times by the self-checkouts, while the others are still employed, still busy, and still providing service to customers who don't want to use self-checkouts.

I see it in my industry, too. We used to hand-frame housing trusses. It took a crew of men weeks to assemble trusses from scratch on the job site. That crew of men is still there, but they spend a week on-site throwing pre-assembled trusses on the walls and bolting them down. Our industry is employing MORE framers, working on more job sites...not fewer. Meanwhile there's an entire new corps of workers at the truss manufacturing plants, the software design offices, machine shops, and sub-contractors' offices. Furthermore, the increased demand for wood and steel means more people are employed from industries ranging between forestry and financial.

Unfortunately, we just enable faster pillaging of natural resources, but the demon of automation is not in the unemployment lines.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 4, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't really matter, because if that guy is right and corporations are struggling, then they probably can't afford to replace their workforce with robots, which happen to cost money.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Mehuyael posted:

It doesn't really matter, because if that guy is right and corporations are struggling, then they probably can't afford to replace their workforce with robots, which happen to cost money.

Too true. I'm sure some golden parachute rear end in a top hat sits in his palace dreaming of a fully automated company, until he remembers that he'll have to hire an army of higher paid technicians to make sure his storefronts run properly (or outsource it to a grossly overpaid contractor). Automation, truly useful automation, is about magnifying the labor of existing employees.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh, he laughed all right, but I think it's because if he didn't he'd go mad. That's pretty much how I feel sometimes, anyway -- if I didn't laugh at what was going on with the world, with our country, with my life, I'd just huddle in a corner and cry and cry until there was nothing left.

That's pretty much the root of a lot, if not most, of comedy. It's a defense mechanism against that which is horrible, like laughing at Rush an Hannity. Look at how many comics suffer from depression and substance abuse.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

That's pretty much the root of a lot, if not most, of comedy. It's a defense mechanism against that which is horrible, like laughing at Rush an Hannity. Look at how many comics suffer from depression and substance abuse.

Reminds me of that joke that Robin Williams told, if I remember correctly, about Pagliacci the clown. I can't remember exactly how it goes, but it's along the lines of "Man goes to the doctor, asking for treatment for his depression. The doctor's prescription is simple: go see Pagliacci the clown, that will cheer you up! The man bursts into tears, crying out that he is Pagliacci the clown."

edit: Or maybe it was told in response to Williams's death. Either way, it's pretty poignant I guess.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thump! posted:

Reminds me of that joke that Robin Williams told, if I remember correctly, about Pagliacci the clown. I can't remember exactly how it goes, but it's along the lines of "Man goes to the doctor, asking for treatment for his depression. The doctor's prescription is simple: go see Pagliacci the clown, that will cheer you up! The man bursts into tears, crying out that he is Pagliacci the clown."

edit: Or maybe it was told in response to Williams's death. Either way, it's pretty poignant I guess.

It's from Watchmen.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

computer parts posted:

It's from Watchmen.

Oh.

Well gently caress me, it's much less poignant then.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

The concept of "machines" simplying taking over minninum wage jobs is kind of idiotic.

Not entirely. When you consider things like DVD vending machines (Redbox), self checkout lines and office receptionists, to name just a few, it's sort of already happening.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Yea, there are machines taking over plenty of positions but the idea that's due to unions isn't necessarily the only reason as conservatives would like to believe.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Screaming Idiot posted:

I tried watching Eddie Murphy and Sam Kinison's stuff the other day and, wow, they really haven't aged well. I honestly sat back and thought to myself, "how much was a shithead was I that I thought this stuff was witty and clever and not just mainstream hate-speech?"

Delirious and Raw are still pretty drat funny, guess it depends on the viewer. Considering the years they were made, the jokes were heavily in the mainstream.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thump! posted:

Oh.

Well gently caress me, it's much less poignant then.

It's still poignant within the context of the story of Watchmen if that helps

(but yeah it's very apropos when discussing Robin Williams and I can totally picture someone attributing the quote to him on Facebook and getting a million likes and shares)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MrUnderbridge posted:

Really? No more takers on the culture quiz?

O.k. The old guy is Howard Jarvis, the original "dang-nabbit, taxes!" businessman/republican/lobbyist who passed Prop 13, which slashed property taxes in California by 57% . Not too surprisingly, he was a lobbyist for landlords, who told renters the prop would drop their rents. Guess where the savings went (shhhhh - it wasn't used to lower rents! ).

In his Wikipedia article, he is described as a "horrible man". With citation.

It is actually a testament to Airplane! that alot of its jokes are still funny even though so many are just references to late 70s commercials.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
From an efficiency guy standpoint I can tell you that buying new machines (for anything) is about the last thing you want to do because it costs a lot of money and there's a high chance that it will cause a negative backlash (especially if you're in some sort of consumer service industry). The people buying these machines are either dumb, have lots of money to burn, or are actually at peak efficiency for the job they want to do with the resources they have (this last point is highly unlikely).

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Well, Mike Gallagher is saying that the potential for voter fraud is high. I suppose if the Dems manage to pull this election out of their asses, that's all we'll hear for weeks.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

BiggerBoat posted:

Not entirely. When you consider things like DVD vending machines (Redbox), self checkout lines and office receptionists, to name just a few, it's sort of already happening.

Tab8715 posted:

Yea, there are machines taking over plenty of positions but the idea that's due to unions isn't necessarily the only reason as conservatives would like to believe.

Yeh, there are several reasons why Blockbuster et al. went under, but labor unions is not one of them. Redbox and Netflix both are innovations on the movie rental business, which Blockbuster could very well have capitalized on but it was not a nimble company. Labor costs had nothing to do with whether Blockbuster could offer streaming services or rental kiosks.

It's like blaming vending machines for the fall of soda shops, when you can easily point to any fast food restaurant or gas station to show that soda sales still require lots of employment. (In fact, I rarely buy soda from a machine, often because of the prices.)

anonumos fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 4, 2014

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Gross Dude posted:

Well, Mike Gallagher is saying that the potential for voter fraud is high. I suppose if the Dems manage to pull this election out of their asses, that's all we'll hear for weeks.

There was an article posted in the 2014 or 2016 threads that talked about some database various SoS's in the south are setting up to "catch voter fraud" that looks for same first name / last name people in multiple states, particularly looking for hispanic/immigrant last names, so they can challenge/fight those registrations. It has 7 million people in it. It doesn't matter what happens this election, now that SCOTUS has greenlighted efforts that effectively nullify the CRA, they are going to keep banging the voter fraud drum as hard as possible while they implement ways of keeping potential democrats from voting. Voter fraud is basically a dog whistle anyways, much like 'States Rights'.

In 4-6 years Republican politicians in some areas may even be tone-deaf enough to start pushing actual poll taxes and literacy tests again.

anonumos posted:

Yeh, there are several reasons why Blockbuster et al. went under, but labor unions is not one of them. Redbox and Netflix both are innovations on the movie rental business, which Blockbuster could very well have capitalized on but it was not a nimble company. Labor costs had nothing to do with whether Blockbuster could offer streaming services or rental kiosks.

It's like blaming vending machines on the fall of soda shops, when you can easily point to any fast food restaurant or gas station to show that soda sales still require lots of employment. (In fact, I rarely buy soda from a machine, often because of the prices.)

Yeah, Blockbuster died because they failed to evolve in the face of a changing market. Blockbuster was basically the perfection (and consolidation/monopolization) of the VHS rental store in the absence of the internet, especially with their revenue-sharing with studios and other ways of undercutting their previous competition (mostly local chains/stores). Their success ran them in to a wall when competitors like Netflix and Redbox came out, because it's so different from how Blockbuster operated both at a local level and at a Corporate level. Labor wasn't their problem so much as having lots of capitol stuck in floor space / logistics / retail management. They couldn't operate without their late fees and high prices, due to really high overhead, but that's what people hated.

Closing stores is fairly easy, but it's really hard for people to curtail the massive corporate structure that those stores supported with their previously higher margins and cut that down to a manageable size.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Bill Hicks would've gone off the deep end once smoking bans started being a serious thing. Dude was insane about how pro-smoking he was.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Orange Devil posted:

Bill Hicks would've gone off the deep end once smoking bans started being a serious thing. Dude was insane about how pro-smoking he was.

He quit for awhile, but as soon as he got the pancreatic cancer diagnosis went right back to it.

Also he could be really, really homophobic and misogynist, which makes some of his routines hard to listen to.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Phone posted:

Oh sweet, Ben Stein has called Obama 'most racist president' we've had. I would think Andrew Jackson would be offended, but I digress.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/11/ben-stein-obama-most-racist-president

White folk got problems ya'll.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Obama: Literally more racist than Presidents who owned slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The typical conservative strategy of "you're doing the thing you're accusing me off worse!" becomes really absurd when you say the first black president is the most racist guy in American history, without even a "last fifty years" qualifier. Black people are just inherently more racist than white people for you white people elected Obama, a black person as president so clearly we can see past race!

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 4, 2014