Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Caught up on Agents. Top tier network TV. I can smell Angel on this all over, no surprise Jeffrey Bell is EP, and people like Drew Greenburg are scripting. I wonder what the behind the scenes were like over the season break, because this is pound for pound a completely different TV show that shares a title with whatever premiered last year. There's at least three different concurrent plot lines and one unexpected fakeout every episode, the characters are competent and intriguing, the dialogue is fun and easy to listen to, and the pathos is everywhere. My intelligence isn't insulted at any time, and I can freely recommend this show to people. Psyched to see where they go with this.

A good weekly spy show? Who knew?

I agree with you, it's become one of my favorite currently airing shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Sometimes I wonder if anybody would even notice if Zoey Deschanel disappeared from the cast of New Girl. She's by far the weakest member of the cast.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

Sometimes I wonder if anybody would even notice if Zoey Deschanel disappeared from the cast of New Girl. She's by far the weakest member of the cast.

I'd agree with you on that in season 1 at least but past that she's been consistently funny and the writers play to her comedic strengths. She does physical comedy really well and it's been great to see her character grow into the stable one in the group. Not to mention her absolutely ridiculous chemistry with Jake Johnson whether they're in a relationship or not.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

As a new viewer, I was shocked to see how underwhelming Damon Wayans, Jr. is in this show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hope and vaseline posted:

In this echo chamber? Are you kidding?

I don't know about you but I feel an insatiable need to prove how cool I am to people I have not and probably never will meet on the internet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

I don't know about you but I feel an insatiable need to prove how cool I am to people I have not and probably never will meet on the internet.
This is why I livestream myself smoking and wearing sunglasses.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

If you put even a single minute of intelligent thought into the show, though, it'll drive you loving bananas with how stupid everything is.

He imagines.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Looking for something new to watch, I decided to give Portlandia a try after my initial misgivings. I ended up really liking it. Hard to explain why. Some of the sketches feel like I'm watching Tim & Eric with nonsense repeated too long, but it has a certain charm to it. Fred and Carrie just come off as really likable and charming.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dead Snoopy posted:

As a new viewer, I was shocked to see how underwhelming Damon Wayans, Jr. is in this show.

They basically added him to the show without any idea what to do with him. It was completely apparent that they said "Wayans' show got cancelled! We can bring Coach back!" without ever asking themselves who the hell Coach is or how he fits into this group. His first few episodes were actually really awkward and he wasn't any fun at all.

Since then they're kind of developing a character and role for him. The show has a bad history of not knowing what to do with characters when they're introduced but gradually working them into a good role and I think Wayans is on his way there. But his inclusion was forced and awkward so there have been growing pains.

And I agree that Jessie/Zoey has really grown into a strong part of the cast and really the surprisingly most stable one of the bunch. She's still got her quirks and weird aspects but she's more or less developed into the straight man of the group, which is an important role that some people always seem to think is discardable.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ravane posted:

I've been watching Black-ish on Hulu, and I thought it was alright but not amazing. But in episode 3, they did something that no other show has addressed. The nod. It exists in every culture in America: Indians, Blacks, Hispanics, etc. But as American kids these days become more homogenized, the act of the nod is dying out. Proud to see it addressed in this show.

Edit: vvvv :lol:
What are you even talking about? Are you saying white people don't nod?

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm grateful that Utopia (Fox) existed, because it helped me discover Utopia (from that island) which is amazing.

Thanks, Fox!
In case you're confused, he's talking about a UK series called Utopia which has aired 2 seasons. It's really great, and it's available through the usual means.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

I think(?) s/he is saying that "the nod" is not something people do anymore. If so, I actually have noticed this. Whenever I walk by younger people and nod at them they just keep walking and tapping on their iPhones or whatever.

"The howdy" is also out of fashion, all across America I used to be able to walk by a stranger and offer up a hearty "Howdy!" and be answered in kind; but forsooth, these kids these days, so rude! Horatio.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yo, Cartoon Network is airing a miniseries called Over the Garden Wall. The first two episodes aired tonight and it is crazy good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Josh Lyman posted:

In case you're confused, he's talking about a UK series called Utopia which has aired 2 seasons. It's really great, and it's available through the usual means.

There's also been a show in Australia this year called Utopia, which was also pretty good (if you like low key political farces).

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Yo, Cartoon Network is airing a miniseries called Over the Garden Wall. The first two episodes aired tonight and it is crazy good.

I was surprised by how good this is. The only thing I really dislike is the actress that voices the bird. She is awful and it bothers me because everyone else is so good. Especially Elijah Wood and Christopher Lloyd.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is the dorky white kid playing the Penguin in Gotham the same dorky white kid playing Citizen Z in Z Nation? I think it is. That has been bothering me for awhile.

e: nope, they are just eerily similar dorky white kids.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 4, 2014

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

IRQ posted:

Is the dorky white kid playing the Penguin in Gotham the same dorky white kid playing Citizen Z in Z Nation? I think it is. That has been bothering me for awhile.

I never made that connection before, but IMDB says they are not the same actor. Cobblepot was in a couple episode of The Walking Dead apparently.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah man, White American people don't nod. :smuggo:

As an immigrant, "the nod" is an act that brings about a sense of community. Sometimes, as a minority, living in a diverse population can be hard because it's hard to relate to others with a different cultural background. That's why China towns are created, that's why Indian people live near each other, why spics and blacks hang out in gangs! I kid, but not really. Being a minority compels us, the minorities, to seek out similar minorities if only to talk about something you can't talk about normally with another person. A white guy won't normally get my obsession with a brown actor.

Coming back to the nod, it's an acknowledgement of the fact that two people are of the same cultural background. That if something bad were to happen right then, you can trust that stranger simply because he's from the same place as you.

The nod is dying out as second and third generation immigrant kids are raised in america. It's not a bad thing at all, in fact it reduces racism. However, it also sometimes comes with a loss of traditional values. Not recognizing someone from your own culture probably means you don't really celebrate Diwali or Chinese New Year with other people who celebrate those holidays. It's cultural assimilation at its finest, and depending on your view, it can be a good thing or a bad thing.

It's just something that minorities do. It doesn't mean that white people don't nod at others, but the same exact sense of community is not necessarily conveyed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ravane posted:

As an immigrant, "the nod" is an act that brings about a sense of community. Sometimes, as a minority, living in a diverse population can be hard because it's hard to relate to others with a different cultural background. That's why China towns are created, that's why Indian people live near each other, why spics and blacks hang out in gangs! I kid, but not really. Being a minority compels us, the minorities, to seek out similar minorities if only to talk about something you can't talk about normally with another person. A white guy won't normally get my obsession with a brown actor.

Coming back to the nod, it's an acknowledgement of the fact that two people are of the same cultural background. That if something bad were to happen right then, you can trust that stranger simply because he's from the same place as you.

The nod is dying out as second and third generation immigrant kids are raised in america. It's not a bad thing at all, in fact it reduces racism. However, it also sometimes comes with a loss of traditional values. Not recognizing someone from your own culture probably means you don't really celebrate Diwali or Chinese New Year with other people who celebrate those holidays. It's cultural assimilation at its finest, and depending on your view, it can be a good thing or a bad thing.

It's just something that minorities do. It doesn't mean that white people don't nod at others, but the same exact sense of community is not necessarily conveyed.

:catstare:

What?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, you guys have short memories.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ravane posted:

why spics and blacks hang out in gangs! I kid, but not really.

Go on

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ravane posted:

The nod is simply a way of saying, "yo" without calling attention. Like a smirk, or the "get a load of this guy" eyeroll. I'm pretty sure Ray Romano had a joke about a bunch of guys shopping with their wives on a Sunday instead of watching football giving the nod to one another.

Edit: It's only racially related if you want it to be, I guess. But it's not some secret black handshake anymore than a handshake is a secret white one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've nodded to pretty much anyone I've passed and made random eye contact with for as long as I can remember. It's always seemed like a thing most people do. At least where I live.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I've nodded to pretty much anyone I've passed and made random eye contact with for as long as I can remember. It's always seemed like a thing most people do. At least where I live.

...racist.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I'm pretty sure the nod thing was more of a thing for people who relate to one another somehow but aren't in the majority. And the show initially presents it as Andre not having many black colleagues at work and such and thinking at first his son (who doesn't have many black friends) should 'nod' to other black classmates at school. To him it does matter much more that he uses it to identify with other blacks but eventually realizes that's not the only use and there's still the generational gap in play. Obviously he eventually learns Junior doesn't really identify so much with being black as he does a nerd - hence the part where he does in fact give the nod to a fellow nerd at the end of the episode.

Or you know, the thing Ravane said, if you want to believe that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been nodding wrong this whole time I guess. I thought it meant "I acknowledge that you are a fellow human being, and I don't want to kill or harm you and have a good day".

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I have heard of the "What's up, fellow minority?" nod as a specific thing with its own connotations as Ravane described. White people can do it too, just not really in the U.S., but go to Asia and it'll be a thing apparently. Also my brown friend told me that in the summer if his skin gets notably darker he'll start getting the "black guy nod" from black guys.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Metropolis posted:

I have heard of the "What's up, fellow minority?" nod as a specific thing with its own connotations as Ravane described. White people can do it too, just not really in the U.S., but go to Asia and it'll be a thing apparently. Also my brown friend told me that in the summer if his skin gets notably darker he'll start getting the "black guy nod" from black guys.

There you go guys, his brown friend (which is almost black, y'know) said he gets the head nod when he goes even darker brown (like he really looks black, dude) in the summer. But y'all whites might as well stop nodding, cause if you aren't in Asia you can't do it right.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wanted to get a pumpkin spice latte but the cashier said I wasn't White enough

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
I saw a black guy one time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mu Zeta posted:

I wanted to get a pumpkin spice latte but the cashier said I wasn't White enough

You should've nodded, they would've sold it to you anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Once I tried to get high on nutmeg (which is theoretically possible) and now pumpkin spiced things are ruined for me forever.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

precision posted:

Once I tried to get high on nutmeg (which is theoretically possible) and now pumpkin spiced things are ruined for me forever.

This is much more interesting than the nod conversation. I don't remember how much I took but all I got was tunnel vision and a massive headache, passed out for 18 hours, and now gently caress pumpkin pie. Stupid Anarchist Cookbook.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

precision posted:

Once I tried to get high on nutmeg

Yeah one time I tried to be cool and edgy too

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Rarity posted:

Sorry nerd. Some people didn't play video games all day and experimented with drugs when they were teenagers.

precision posted:

There is absolutely nothing cool about getting high on nutmeg.

But especially this. It ranks above smoking banana peels and below prison wine on the scale of cool.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 4, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

There is absolutely nothing cool about getting high on nutmeg.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Ariza posted:

Sorry nerd. Some people didn't play video games all day and experimented with drugs when they were teenagers.

When precision says he 'once tried' assume that 'once' means yesterday. Pumpkin spice is ruined because of all the nutmeg grit still stuck in between his teeth that didn't get him high yesterday..

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Kaizoku posted:

But y'all whites might as well stop nodding, cause if you aren't in Asia you can't do it right.

As a personal example, Indians don't nod in India. The majority just doesn't need to nod. There's a difference between a nod of just "sup" and a nod of acknowledging a fellow minority.

Live in a country where you are a minority, and you will automatically start nodding at your own people. This is a fact.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

When precision says he 'once tried' assume that 'once' means yesterday. Pumpkin spice is ruined because of all the nutmeg grit still stuck in between his teeth that didn't get him high yesterday..
Some people experiment with drugs when they're teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
This nod thing sounds unamerican and should be banned imo

• Locked thread