Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Tae posted:

The thing about Final Fantasy is that the ultimate weapon is never, not remotely needed to beat the game. They are probably specifically made to be much harder than the final boss in terms of acquiring the "final ultimate weapon" i.e. ffx celestial weapons, Knights of the Round, Lionheart, etc.

Oh I know, but the last time I played X I did just about everything before going to Sin and everything was a cake walk. I just have no idea if the game is balanced for you to head straight to Sin from Zanarkand or what it expects from you in terms of leveling up beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The end dungeon is balanced for you to go straight to it from Zanarkand. If you do any sort of side missions prior to entering Sin, you break the final dungeon that much more. It's not very difficult, it's just long.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
On the other hand, going straight there means you can't have Seymour's mom push his poo poo in.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

What's so bad about the PS1 translation?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
He will always be "Butz" to me.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also the dresspheres you can collect in the dungeon are based on the ones you have in the main game, so make sure you have all the dresspheres in the main game before starting.

Not true; I started a Last Mission file without having played through the main game beyond the opening bit where you get back Yuna's garment grid and the songstress dressphere, and I was able to pick up all kinds of dresspheres that you don't get until later chapters of the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

alcharagia posted:

On the other hand, going straight there means you can't have Seymour's mom push his poo poo in.

Pretty much the best. "Hey dead guy, lemme use the embodiment of your mother's love for you to force you to relinquish this mortal coil."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

W.T. Fits posted:

Not true; I started a Last Mission file without having played through the main game beyond the opening bit where you get back Yuna's garment grid and the songstress dressphere, and I was able to pick up all kinds of dresspheres that you don't get until later chapters of the game.

Ah I didn't find out about that until I started looking up info online and because I had no way to check I just believed it without proof. Why does the internet lie to me. :(

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

I thought this was supposed to be a bad translation. That's a good fitting name for those guys.

Since they're into butt humor, how odd that they didn't go with Butz.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I don't think anyone posted it, so here's that latest FFXV video with English subtitles. The article also has a couple fan questions that were answered off-screen.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Carl Boss?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

No, no, why is the translation BAD.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

No, no, why is the translation BAD.
It doesn't have the

"You must recover the twelve legendary weapons..."
"Twelve legendary weapons?"
"YES, the twelve legendary weapons. They are weapons. They are legendary. There are even twelve of them."

exchange

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Seymour actually has unique dialog if you summon Anima against him, which is almost worth the fact that getting Anima before Seymour means you'll end the fight in a single overdrive

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Seymour actually has unique dialog if you summon Anima against him, which is almost worth the fact that getting Anima before Seymour means you'll end the fight in a single overdrive

Yeah he says something like "So even you too will turn against me? So be it" if I remember right.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omxH7zg-OXw#t=10

Ahhhhh it's even worse in motion!

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

It looks like Serah in a Hatsune Miku costume.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I stand corrected on my statement about SE learning how to lessen the uncanny valley effect:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

THE RECKONING COMES!!!

There is no escape! No hope! NONE!!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SSNeoman posted:

THE RECKONING COMES!!!

There is no escape! No hope! NONE!!!

Garuda DOES have the best music in FFXIV...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus Christ. That is terrifying

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I don't think Squaresoft quite grasped the uncanny valley concept at that point. How outdated it's become, is also in part due to that.
Advent Children stylised the characters enough, that it wasn't nearly as creepy.

God the Advent Children mention along with all the talk of fan translations just makes me think of when the AC fansub was released and the forums started rewriting the script like they did for Awful Fantasy.

Tifa: That's my boyfriend, he's a vampire and has his own cellphone.
Little Girl: wooow!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Garuda DOES have the best music in FFXIV...

That's a bold claim considering FFXIV is just wall to wall good music. I'm not sure it's better than the final phase of Titan (for my money) but it is definitely up there.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Levantine posted:

That's a bold claim considering FFXIV is just wall to wall good music. I'm not sure it's better than the final phase of Titan (for my money) but it is definitely up there.

I feel like Titan's music is best in the Hard fight. The Extreme or whatever the 3rd difficulty was called just makes it sound too busy. Garuda's theme just gets better.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Interview with Tabata at the Paris Games Week Event:

quote:

“I’d like to be remembered as the leader of the team who made one of the best Final Fantasy games of all time.” These are the words of Hajime Tabata, the director of both Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Final Fantasy XV. They are very brave words and words that he doesn’t use lightly - and I’m sure there are plenty of people who would not be envious of his position.

He is the man responsible for not only directing the next numbered game in one of the most well respected franchises in the world with Final Fantasy XV, but he’s also responsible for releasing a new type of Final Fantasy game on the newest generation of consoles with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD. It’s an incredible responsibility and while he is completely aware of this, you can always see him smiling, talking to fans when he can and generally being kind, happy and approachable as well.

We managed to spend a bit of time with Tabata-san at Paris Games Week to ask him some of your questions about Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and he was more than happy to chat, so read on to find out what he had to say.

It shouldn’t be surprising that Hajime Tabata enjoys interacting with fans about his games (you can see him in the image above watching fans play Type-0 HD). After all, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is coming out in the West due to fan demand, so Tabata-san is aware and listening to feedback. Since this will be the first time that Type-0 is being released outside of Japan, there was a temptation to add in new features and make an “International Version” of the game like previous Final Fantasy games.

“We did have the idea of doing an 'International Version' of the game,” Tabata-san explained, “but because the original game hadn’t been released yet, we thought it would be more important to release it as early as possible rather than worry about what extra features we can add in and how to make it an 'International Version.'" Time is precious to Tabata-san and it’s quite clear that if he can at all help it, he doesn’t want to make fans wait any longer.

He is also careful about making sure that fans have a complete experience of his games, so no one is missing out content-wise. The main theme of Final Fantasy Type-0 called 'ZERO' by the band Bump of Chicken is heavily tied to the game - and music can sometimes be a tricky thing to culturally translate from Japan to the West.

“It’s a really good song and we thought it’d be best to keep the original appeal and impact of it for the fans,” said Tabata-san. “We discussed it with Bump of Chicken and the final verdict is that we’re going to keep the original Japanese version as it is, included in the European version too. That’s what all the members of Bump of Chicken agreed on so that’s what we decided to do. Obviously there will be subtitles for the lyrics of the song so you can understand its meaning.”

Speaking of content, the original PlayStation Portable version of Type-0 had additional costumes available and while these are the kinds of things that could have easily been cut, Tabata-san doesn’t want anyone to miss out.

“We made sure that all the special costumes that were available for the original game via various demos and other things can somehow be acquired during the actual game itself so they’ll all be there,” he explained. “We do have some extra costumes but we can’t reveal them as they are a secret... so that’s something you can look forward to discovering.”

It seems that Tabata-san enjoys being a bit of a crowd-pleaser as well! It’s always refreshing when developers add in the little extras for fans and Tabata-sans openness about his games is a positive step for the Final Fantasy franchise.

However, not all requests can be fulfilled and when questioned about a possible Final Fantasy Type-0 HD demo Tabata-san explained that it wasn't going to be possible.

“We decided to get the game out as quickly as possible so we’re going to concentrate on getting the proper release version done - so we’re not going to be doing a demo for this one. We may think about doing a demo version after release to draw more people in but up until the main release we don’t have anything planned.”

While this may sound a little disappointing, it goes to show that Tabata-san really isn’t a fan of making people wait and I for one am relieved to hear time is being well spent to release games as quickly as possible on home consoles.

The Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Final Fantasy XV teams are working flat-out to make sure the games come out as soon as humanly possible - but what about the future? Maybe it’s a little soon to be thinking about what’s coming next but apparently not for Tabata-san who has bigger plans if Type-0 HD is successful.

"I would like to make more Type games and make them into a Final Fantasy series. We’ve registered trademarks for it, we’ve gone that far so we want to continue it,” Tabata-san said, giggling slightly. “I’d like to make the Type series the kind of series where we can do the kind of stuff that we really can’t do in the mainline numbered series, so make it a really alternative kind of Final Fantasy.”

It looks like I’m buying two copies of Type-0 HD to make this happen then...!

If there’s one word I would use to describe Hajime Tabata it would be 'delightful.' He’s really easy to talk to, he’s always smiling and always wants you to be honest with him. If it isn’t apparent in the streams he’s appeared in for Type-0 HD and Final Fantasy XV, he really does care about the fans and does everything he can to do what he feels is right by them - by you. Perhaps this is why he was chosen to direct the next mainline Final Fantasy game. He certainly knows what he’s doing.

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/paris-games-week-type-0-hd-interview-hajime-tabata

Tabata is still ambitious as usual. He's been pushed into limelight and has a great opportunity to prove himself. If he pulls off FFXV, he'll be able to join Yoshida as one of company's rising stars.

I'm curious to see how the new CEO will handle the old guard who have been underperforming. Matsuda comes from the same background as Wada in that his expertise is in finance rather than game development. He has been working at Wada side for over ten years as CFO. He previous worked at Square LTD. as at a management, left to work at some tax law company, and then returned to join the newly formed Square-Enix. Wada wanted SE to be a AAA publisher and was willing to give developers a lot of resources and lengthy development times for their games. On the other hand, Matsuda is under a lot of pressure to maintain profitability and transform the company back into a growth stock. I imagine Kitase and Toriyama will continue to get support due to their ability to manage large teams and ship games in a reasonable time frame, even if their games aren't particularly well-received.

In terms of corporate politics, Matsuda seems to be delegating a power to Philip Rogers in terms of developing a strategy for the development side of the business. Rogers has had a meteoric rise by joining the board as a director and being made head of Square Enix Holdings. The company's recent annual report and Matsuda's statements suggest Rogers will serve as more of a creative director for the company while Matsuda and the other Japanese directors will handle financial matters. Rogers has been behind many of their new programs, such as Square Enix Collective. It could also suggest that the Japanese directors of the board don't have a clear vision on where to take the company and they don't believe in the ability of their Japanese development leads to guide them into the future.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what they've done to miku is in every meaningful way the same as that women who tried to restore the painting of jesus

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
WOW, Tabata's got balls. We're looking at the next Final Fantasy 3 right here.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ah yes, Final Fantasy 3, the most celebrated Final Fantasy game of them all

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I feel like Titan's music is best in the Hard fight. The Extreme or whatever the 3rd difficulty was called just makes it sound too busy. Garuda's theme just gets better.
The Primal themes are fantastic for sure, but I really do think Steel Reason is the most Final Fantasy track in the game.

Until they decide to use Nail of the Heavens, I mean.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Tabata sounds like a pretty rad dude. I hope he can deliver.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It wouldn't be the first time he has made a bold statement:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He just sounds like he's saying "I really hope I don't gently caress this up."

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ffxv will be good and better conceived than ffxiii, but not particularly noteworthy

this is my ffxv prediction

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

He just sounds like he's saying "I really hope I don't gently caress this up."

Well, it's gotta be stressful as hell being in his position. "Welp, gotta cover the next named FF game which has been in production for a decade and which will probably determine the future of the franchise. No biggie."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am going to enjoy FFXV and it will be fun and no amount of Cake Attack posts will stop me.

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it's gotta be stressful as hell being in his position. "Welp, gotta cover the next named FF game which has been in production for a decade and which will probably determine the future of the franchise. No biggie."

I totally understand. I'm just saying most of that isn't a bold claim so much as him trying to be optimistic about the hand he's been dealt.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Persona 5 might be better than Final Fantasy 15, however, it may also be worse.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

Persona 5 might be better than Final Fantasy 15, however, it may also be worse.

a bold claim

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Person 5 will most definitely be worse since there are no cars in Persona.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They'll both be bad.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

True, but consider then, that Final Fantasy 15 will be the worst game in the series, and Persona 5 will not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
FFXV will be both more challenging than Persona V, spiritually, intellectually, and physically.