Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

That dude looks rad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Main character from Tales of Xillia 2.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Paine's voice-actress hasn't been in enough things that I know of. She was really good.

And on the topic of voice-acting, never gonna forget my surprise when I first played X-2 and heard Superman voicing Nooj. Apparently this impressed Nomura or somebody so much they had him voice Sephiroth in AC. I kinda don't see the similarity between the two characters but, hey, Nomura chose Nimoy to voice Xehanort in KH so the guy has an ear for greatness. And Gippal would go on to be Zack. Baralai...I don't think he did any roles. Shame.

I actually really liked the dynamic between Nooj, Baralai, and Gippal and would play a game with the three of them as leads. They had good voice actors too (one situation where I preferred the English ones to the Japanese). Paine also grew on me as the game went on (well, her personality/role, not her clothes).

How is that Last Mission thing?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Decided to catch up with FFT hacks, being probably my favorite game ever, and holy poo poo does 1.3.1.3 suck for PSP. I abandoned a playthrough of 1.3 Easytype + Complete for the PSX a few years ago, and that was fun, but 1.3 has since started incorporating stuff from FFTA (I think this is a huge mistake, gently caress that game). Black Mage is completely redesigned, and I don't think for the better. Literally every spell has been replaced. Apparently 1.3 has come a long way, but it's hard for me to go back to that translation.

I just love the TO: LUCT / FFXII / WotL scripts with their faux English. FFT has some great lines in the original translation, but... eh.

Edit: I really should try FFXII: International Supercool Edition With Jobs, I heard the English patch is like 99% done.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 3, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Firstborn posted:

Decided to catch up with FFT hacks, being probably my favorite game ever, and holy poo poo does 1.3.1.3 suck for PSP. I abandoned a playthrough of 1.3 Easytype + Complete for the PSX a few years ago, and that was fun, but 1.3 has since started incorporating stuff from FFTA (I think this is a huge mistake, gently caress that game). Black Mage is completely redesigned, and I don't think for the better. Literally every spell has been replaced. Apparently 1.3 has come a long way, but it's hard for me to go back to that translation.

I just love the TO: LUCT / FFXII / WotL scripts with their faux English. FFT has some great lines in the original translation, but... eh.

I haven't played the redone TO, and I thought XII and Vagrant Story were really well done, but the WotL script is feeling pretty clumsy as I play through it. As I understand it, the translator was told to do it "like Alexander O. Smith," but clearly doesn't have the same finesse. A recent example that I just came across in my playthrough:

Duke Barrington: You would attack your host under his own roof? This is a fight you cannot hope to win.
Folmarv: On the contrary, this is a fight I cannot hope to lose.

...Hope to lose? Why would he say that? It doesn't even make sense. The whole script feels like it's had the life sucked out of it so that it could be filled with awkward "sophistication."

Edit: And yes, you should play the IZJS edition. The English patch may as well have been 100% done years ago when I played it, so I doubt anything more is really being done at this point.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The terrible truth of fft is that both translations are bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

...Hope to lose? Why would he say that? It doesn't even make sense. The whole script feels like it's had the life sucked out of it so that it could be filled with awkward "sophistication."

quote:

Agrias: You would have us slaughter them? Are you mad? Kill them here and
you'll have played into Duke Goltanna's hands! We need only put them to rout!

Gaffgarion: I find dead men rout more easily.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Schwartzcough posted:

I haven't played the redone TO, and I thought XII and Vagrant Story were really well done, but the WotL script is feeling pretty clumsy as I play through it. As I understand it, the translator was told to do it "like Alexander O. Smith," but clearly doesn't have the same finesse. A recent example that I just came across in my playthrough:

Duke Barrington: You would attack your host under his own roof? This is a fight you cannot hope to win.

Edit: And yes, you should play the IZJS edition. The English patch may as well have been 100% done years ago when I played it, so I doubt anything more is really being done at this point.

I get what you are saying, and of the three I listed, WotL is the worst, but I still find it better than the original translation. That line you posted is clumsy, but there are quite a few that went from simple "information trying to be given" to some nice moments. I'm looking into IZJS now, seems complicated.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

I actually really liked the dynamic between Nooj, Baralai, and Gippal and would play a game with the three of them as leads. They had good voice actors too (one situation where I preferred the English ones to the Japanese). Paine also grew on me as the game went on (well, her personality/role, not her clothes).

How is that Last Mission thing?

You ever play a rougelike? It plays like that: grid based movement, randomized floor layouts and encounters, item management, you start over from the beginning and lose everything if you die, etc.

I enjoyed it, but the final boss really blows. Also the dresspheres you can collect in the dungeon are based on the ones you have in the main game, so make sure you have all the dresspheres in the main game before starting.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So I rewatched Spirits Within recently and while it's still a bad movie, I do find it a little funny that the main complaint at the time was that it's nothing like Final Fantasy and that it should have been a sequel to 7 which then led to the crappy EU of Final Fantasy 7 when thematically, Spirits Within is very similar to 7. Right down to the alien lifeform crashing onto the planet and seeking to steal the souls of all living lifeforms on the planet, which is itself depicted as a living being.

Hell it might even be the same planet but far in the future, since while FF 7's planet is called Gaia there are enough hints in the game including Sephiroth's Super Nova attack to say that Gaia is Earth.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The best and funniest part of Spirits Within is how Square wanted Aki to be a "virtual actress", and re-use her assets for other movies and everybody was going to be totally okay with "and Aki as _____!" Hollywood was scared that actual good actors were going to be replaced with movies starring nothing but realistic polygon people with bad voice actors. Spirits Within was lauded for being so realistic when current DreamWorks stuff that is supposed to be cartoony has more emotion and character. Aki Ross' wiki page has a link at the bottom to Uncanny Valley.

loving hilarious.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/08/us/movie-stars-fear-inroads-by-upstart-digital-actors.html
http://cjonline.com/stories/071501/art_finalfantasy.shtml
Aki Ross was designed by Square Pictures for the use in their debut film Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. However the intention was for her to go further than that, with plans to add her in future films and media as a kind of "virtual actress".

The second best thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuFo63OqSO0

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 3, 2014

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Firstborn posted:

The best and funniest part of Spirits Within is how Square wanted Aki to be a "virtual actress", and re-use her assets for other movies and everybody was going to be totally okay with "and Aki as _____!"

loving hilarious.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/08/us/movie-stars-fear-inroads-by-upstart-digital-actors.html
Aki Ross was designed by Square Pictures for the use in their debut film Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. However the intention was for her to go further than that, with plans to add her in future films and media as a kind of "virtual actress".

The second best thing?

Yeah the animation really hasn't aged well to the point it got pretty creepy so I'm kind of glad Aki didn't appear in any other movies.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is it possible Tarantino could use her in a future movie? He resurrects careers. Maybe she is one of the Hateful 8.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

Edit: I really should try FFXII: International Supercool Edition With Jobs, I heard the English patch is like 99% done.

Is there a FFT hack that changes a lot of things but doesn't crank up the difficulty to dumb levels? I heard all the 1.3 hacks made a lot of the levels insane and often reliant on luck.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah the animation really hasn't aged well to the point it got pretty creepy so I'm kind of glad Aki didn't appear in any other movies.

I don't think Squaresoft quite grasped the uncanny valley concept at that point. How outdated it's become, is also in part due to that.
Advent Children stylised the characters enough, that it wasn't nearly as creepy.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Ragequit posted:

Is there a FFT hack that changes a lot of things but doesn't crank up the difficulty to dumb levels? I heard all the 1.3 hacks made a lot of the levels insane and often reliant on luck.

There are a few. Go check out FFTHacktics. Click Forums. Look at "Completed Patches". Celdia's Complete Patch is like a light-hearted version of the game with some rebalances and all new classes. FFT+ is slightly more difficult, but doesn't change as much things as 1.3, some of which I really like (Swordskills costing MP and being able to miss/block/be dodged). FFT "Kind Of" is another patch that just switches a few things around. There are also "Content Only" and "Easy Mode" patches for 1.3 which give you the cool new features and balances but don't make story battles scale to your level, which is like the no. 1 source of difficulty because it means you can't just grind and destroy a battle.

I'd say try a 1.3 Content Only patch.

As far as "reliant on luck", there's just a razor's edge from being hosed. You might NEED THIS loving KNIGHT TO HIT THIS MINDSAP RIGHT loving NOW AT 33% and be hosed if it misses, but there are general ways around it. Also the attitude of the InsaneDifficulty (the current host of 1.3 and other superhardmode patches) is that you can ask questions without being made fun of, or even send them your savefile of this "impossible" battle and they will beat it to show you it can be done. Also keep in mind vanilla FFT is easy as gently caress.

Edit: Here's the link: http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/30-fft-content-13-easy-mode/
You can apply a patch with PPFomatic from Hacktics' tools sections, it's as easy as picking the ISO and then picking the .ppf (the actual patch) and clicking "patch". Then just play it. Keep in mind that even "easy mode" is much harder than vanilla, but not masochistic.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 3, 2014

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Ragequit posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a version of 1.3 that does exactly that.

e;fb

Speaking of Insane Difficulty, I wish there was a content-only patch for BNW cause I'm in the WoR right now and the HP totals on these bosses are insane. Like I've fought Doom Gaze 10+ times and I deal about 25,000 to him each before he runs so I just have no idea if his HP is just astronomical or if he's healing a huge chunk between fights or what.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
FFT 1.3 has a lot more difficulty issues than the scaling levels, so expect the Content patch to be much harder than vanilla, especially if you don't plan to grind a ton of levels. That said, the new content IS pretty cool.

FFT KO hasn't been too bad, but it's a bit harder and the broken abilities have all been nerfed or removed.

I hear LFT isn't too bad either, as well as FFT+. There are a lot of FFT mods out there...

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Scrap Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a version of 1.3 that does exactly that.

e;fb

Speaking of Insane Difficulty, I wish there was a content-only patch for BNW cause I'm in the WoR right now and the HP totals on these bosses are insane. Like I've fought Doom Gaze 10+ times and I deal about 25,000 to him each before he runs so I just have no idea if his HP is just astronomical or if he's healing a huge chunk between fights or what.

I can't really figure out what BNW even does, really. Even looking at the guide, I guess I'm just not as familiar with the game to be able to notice the differences. Is it really just the artificial difficulty of higher HP?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

There are a few. Go check out FFTHacktics. Click Forums. Look at "Completed Patches". Celdia's Complete Patch is like a light-hearted version of the game with some rebalances and all new classes. FFT+ is slightly more difficult, but doesn't change as much things as 1.3, some of which I really like (Swordskills costing MP and being able to miss/block/be dodged). FFT "Kind Of" is another patch that just switches a few things around. There are also "Content Only" and "Easy Mode" patches for 1.3 which give you the cool new features and balances but don't make story battles scale to your level, which is like the no. 1 source of difficulty because it means you can't just grind and destroy a battle.

I'd say try a 1.3 Content Only patch.

As far as "reliant on luck", there's just a razor's edge from being hosed. You might NEED THIS loving KNIGHT TO HIT THIS MINDSAP RIGHT loving NOW AT 33% and be hosed if it misses, but there are general ways around it. Also the attitude of the InsaneDifficulty (the current host of 1.3 and other superhardmode patches) is that you can ask questions without being made fun of, or even send them your savefile of this "impossible" battle and they will beat it to show you it can be done. Also keep in mind vanilla FFT is easy as gently caress.

Edit: Here's the link: http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/30-fft-content-13-easy-mode/
You can apply a patch with PPFomatic from Hacktics' tools sections, it's as easy as picking the ISO and then picking the .ppf (the actual patch) and clicking "patch". Then just play it. Keep in mind that even "easy mode" is much harder than vanilla, but not masochistic.

Thanks for the information and sites. I may give 1.3 Easy Mode a shot. Or Content only when I can actually find that version.

Also :laffo:

Journey of the Five Ch.1
A complete hack of FFT featuring an entirely new story, worldmap flow, events and much more. Join Ramza, Dante, Cloud, Link and Snake as they battle for the not only the survival of Ivalice, but the universe itself.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Firstborn posted:

The best and funniest part of Spirits Within is how Square wanted Aki to be a "virtual actress", and re-use her assets for other movies and everybody was going to be totally okay with "and Aki as _____!" Hollywood was scared that actual good actors were going to be replaced with movies starring nothing but realistic polygon people with bad voice actors. Spirits Within was lauded for being so realistic when current DreamWorks stuff that is supposed to be cartoony has more emotion and character. Aki Ross' wiki page has a link at the bottom to Uncanny Valley.

loving hilarious.

The second best thing?
watching this and all I can think is that it's a lot less funny than it was over a decade ago.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Ragequit posted:

Thanks for the information and sites. I may give 1.3 Easy Mode a shot. Or Content only when I can actually find that version.

Also :laffo:

Journey of the Five Ch.1
A complete hack of FFT featuring an entirely new story, worldmap flow, events and much more. Join Ramza, Dante, Cloud, Link and Snake as they battle for the not only the survival of Ivalice, but the universe itself.

I know, it's stupid, but someone actually bothered to re-do all the story missions and stuff. It's weird to me because it's such a lot of effort for something so stupid.

I linked Content Only for you, "Easy Mode" is essentially the same thing only some jobs have better growths or Ramza has cheated up stats. Try this one and see how it goes for you.

Edit: It appears "Easy" and "Content" have been merged to mean the same goddamn thing in recent updates.
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/1879-fft-content-project-1306/

If you get into editing FFT hardcore you can start using custom sprites, renaming stuff, editing items and stuff. My last run of the PSX 1.3 I removed Cloud entirely and added Basch, with all his Quickenings. That was fun.

\/\/\/ Well, now you totally can. Go for it.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 3, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stupid? I'd totally play a Final Fantasy Tactics/FF7/Zelda/Devil May Cry/Metal Gear Solid crossover.

Liquid Snake, Sephiroth, Ganondorf, Gaffgarrion, and Vergil all take off their sunglasses and laugh maniacally.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No joke, an FFT style Dissidia would be p. swell

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Firstborn posted:

I can't really figure out what BNW even does, really. Even looking at the guide, I guess I'm just not as familiar with the game to be able to notice the differences. Is it really just the artificial difficulty of higher HP?

The patch itself is a major gameplay overhaul of FF6, rebalancing everything so that every character is viable, only certain characters can use espers, and making battles not so piss-easy. In general, it's pretty solid at what it does, but the worst part (other than some of the dialogue) is WoR bosses having insane amounts of HP, since by that point all the characters still end up almost as broken as in the original.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Mega64 posted:

The patch itself is a major gameplay overhaul of FF6, rebalancing everything so that every character is viable, only certain characters can use espers, and making battles not so piss-easy. In general, it's pretty solid at what it does, but the worst part (other than some of the dialogue) is WoR bosses having insane amounts of HP, since by that point all the characters still end up almost as broken as in the original.

The patch notes for the newest version do say that the really bad Celes scene on the Floating Continent was taken out at least.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Scrap Dragon posted:

The patch notes for the newest version do say that the really bad Celes scene on the Floating Continent was taken out at least.

In that case, the new dialogue's fine for the most part. It's nice they're listening to feedback and adjusting stuff accordingly, like when they removed the unnecessary god drat loving piece of poo poo cursing that loving Kefka constantly god drat did.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

It's leagues better than the previous English translation, at any rate. The dialogue you quoted is clearly a case of a person saying "that sounds good to me", instead of being technically correct, which might not be that great, but the original translation has tons of stuff that isn't grammatically correct and doesn't sound good to anybody.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Firstborn posted:

loving hilarious.

The second best thing?

And yet SEGA has their virtual anime waifu that Japan seems to loving worship and they've even used her in the US a few times, including a car commercial that most Americans were just confused by because why is that cartoon driving a car?

Endorph posted:

Stupid? I'd totally play a Final Fantasy Tactics/FF7/Zelda/Devil May Cry/Metal Gear Solid crossover.

Liquid Snake, Sephiroth, Ganondorf, Gaffgarrion, and Vergil all take off their sunglasses and laugh maniacally.

So... Dante and Ramza added to Smash Bros? I'd be ok with this.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I recommend LFT if you're trying some FFT mods on for size. Here's the link, it has a good overview too: http://www.rpgdl.com/lft

It does a lot of neat things. It gets rid of some annoyances from vanilla, tweaks the AI and generally gives it access to the same things you have. Lots of nice balance changes too: Jobs are easier to unlock, many skills are easier to unlock, weapons and gear are more interesting, monsters are more fun. Harder than vanilla but not excessively so. I enjoy it a lot.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm replaying X with the HD edition and just finished Zanarkand. I'm not particularly inclined to go through the various side-quests and may have screwed myself out of them regardless. What's the best prep for someone looking to just get the game over with? I've already grinded my way through each character's main section of the sphere grid.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can easily craft weapons as good as the ultimate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I'm replaying X with the HD edition and just finished Zanarkand. I'm not particularly inclined to go through the various side-quests and may have screwed myself out of them regardless. What's the best prep for someone looking to just get the game over with? I've already grinded my way through each character's main section of the sphere grid.

Craft your own weapons and/or snag Auron's and Rikku's ultimate weapons since they're doable without beating superbosses. If you snagged all the destruction spheres to this point snag Yuna's too. Having even one of these if not 2-3 will wreck the endgame without much effort.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I think I hosed myself on the destruction spheres. I wanted to get out of those awful cloisters as quickly as possible. What are the skills I want to put on my equipment and do I have to farm a shitload of items to get them? I was going to go for the 1 MP skill but that chocobo thing broke my spirit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Uh, I mean if you just want to beat the game you can just load up on Yuna's overdrives and Aeons. She can solo the game almost by herself by the time she has access to Bahumut.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The White Dragon posted:

The GBA has the best translation and a bonus dungeon, but like all the GBA ports, the ATB is a little buggy and the music port is kinda lovely. The SNES translation is the most accurate experience you'll get relative to the original release, but it has a little bit of Internet Translation Team syndrome. No bonus dungeon.

The PS1 port is just crap and has loading times for the menus because it's basically running a proprietary SNES emulator on a Playstation, but the translation is also the most entertaining in the wrong way.

What's so bad about the PS1 translation? I was thinking about replaying FFV and the PS1 port is the only one I have. I see a little loading time as being preferable to poor quality music. I remember how GBA butchered FF6's soundtrack and made that definitely the worst way to play FF6.

Is the RPGe translation better than the PS1 port?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'll just give that a go, then. I looked at all the ultimate weapon requirements and eve the easy ones look tedious. I still really like this game but kind of forgot how much bullshit they added in with all the terrible puzzles and mini games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The thing about Final Fantasy is that the ultimate weapon is never, not remotely needed to beat the game. They are probably specifically made to be much harder than the final boss in terms of acquiring the "final ultimate weapon" i.e. ffx celestial weapons, Knights of the Round, Lionheart, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

What's so bad about the PS1 translation?
Faris talks in a ridiculous pirate accent, a ton of names were butchered, the whole thing is pretty lifeless, they somehow translated 'Wyvern' as 'Y-Burn,' and overall it's just a bad translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Karl Boss.

Also YEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHH when you win a battle, though I like that one.