Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Heinlein wrote a book where his self-insert hero character goes through a time machine to have sex with his mom.

i didn't know Heinlein wrote back to the future, makes sense tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's possible there are other survivors.

Deys asses got frozed up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

are we to believe, this is some sort of magic xylophone?

I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

priznat posted:

I switched back over to Canadian Netflix to check out what's new and they got some cool stuff added like Jodowarsky's Dune and Under the Skin, both flicks I had been looking forward to checking out!

They have Anchorman 2 as well which I will watch but don't have high hopes for..

Jodowarsky's Dune is excellent. I would have loved to see the craziest loving movie ever made (that didn't get made).

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

priznat posted:

I switched back over to Canadian Netflix to check out what's new and they got some cool stuff added like Jodowarsky's Dune and Under the Skin, both flicks I had been looking forward to checking out!

They have Anchorman 2 as well which I will watch but don't have high hopes for..

Under the Skin is the only movie I saw in my entire pitiful Shocktober that didn't make me want to pull out my phone and start playing Threes after half an hour. Really eerie and beautiful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sleepingbuddha posted:

Jodowarsky's Dune is excellent. I would have loved to see the craziest loving movie ever made (that didn't get made).

Unless it got pulled, Jodorowsky's Dune was on US Netflix several months ago.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

precision posted:

Well dang I totally missed that. I just noticed it on Canadian Netflix because it was on the featured list.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

precision posted:

I've been wanting to see this since I heard about it, and I think I would have noticed if it had popped up. Are you sure it was on US Netflix? I'd be pretty bummed if I had missed it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

time travel doesn't work, therefore i hate the Terminator
I understand you're upset about the reaction to people dissing Zardoz, but really?

precision posted:

Heinlein wrote a book where his self-insert hero character goes through a time machine to have sex with his mom.
Actually that was most of his work. Did McFly's mother have red hair? If so, Heinlein probably wrote it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 4, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I've been wanting to see this since I heard about it, and I think I would have noticed if it had popped up. Are you sure it was on US Netflix? I'd be pretty bummed if I had missed it.

I don't really ever use Hola so I'm 99% sure it was up. Unless it was on Amazon but I never watch movies on that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just watched All is Lost, a movie about Robert Redford trying to survive a catastrophe on his ship. Pretty good, hardly any dialogue but still compelling enough that I sat through and enjoyed the whole thing. Probably the best comparison I can think of is Cast Away, if you liked that you'll like this.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't want to start another borderline autistic argument about how trains do/don't work but I also watched Snowpiercer last night and while I enjoyed it (and fully accepted it's ultra-realistic premise :colbert: ), some of the writing is really bad and the ending felt...I dunno, rushed? It felt like they had to get all the reveals out of the way and just ran through them quickly without really trying to give them time to settle or coalesce. I mean, the imagery of the security expert holding off a roving band of club kids dressed like literal demons while fifty feet away the protagonist is being asked to sell his soul was kind of amazing, but then after that bomb explodes, everyone interesting dies offscreen, shove in a polar bear for a quick 'life finds a way' moment, roll credits. It was really abrupt and jarring.

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

regulargonzalez posted:

Just watched All is Lost, a movie about Robert Redford trying to survive a catastrophe on his ship. Pretty good, hardly any dialogue but still compelling enough that I sat through and enjoyed the whole thing. Probably the best comparison I can think of is Cast Away, if you liked that you'll like this.

I heard a radio show talking about that movie and how Redford insisted on doing all his own stunts. They tried to get him to use stunt doubles, probably trying to avoid their 75 year-old star suffering a broken hip, but he told them to stuff it and did it his way. What a badass.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Jeremiah Johnson was such a badass movie. Is that on streaming anywhere?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't want to start another borderline autistic argument about how trains do/don't work but I also watched Snowpiercer last night and while I enjoyed it (and fully accepted it's ultra-realistic premise :colbert: ), some of the writing is really bad and the ending felt...I dunno, rushed? It felt like they had to get all the reveals out of the way and just ran through them quickly without really trying to give them time to settle or coalesce. I mean, the imagery of the security expert holding off a roving band of club kids dressed like literal demons while fifty feet away the protagonist is being asked to sell his soul was kind of amazing, but then after that bomb explodes, everyone interesting dies offscreen, shove in a polar bear for a quick 'life finds a way' moment, roll credits. It was really abrupt and jarring.

I think it feels more abrupt because to a certain extent it's meant to be that way. By the time Curtis reaches the front of the train, one fully expects that he's going to follow through on his plan: "Kill them all" and bring the train (somehow) to a safe halt. But then it's revealed that the entire 'rebellion' was staged for the benefit of the train. It basically leaves no other options open other than give up your flesh and destroy the train, and that's part of what makes the film emotionally effective. It's not giving us the satisfaction of a hitch-less revolution where the "silent majority" survive and overcome, and instead suggests that the solution lies beyond our desire to perpetuate ourselves. This is very similar to Children of Men.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

radthibodaux posted:

I heard a radio show talking about that movie and how Redford insisted on doing all his own stunts. They tried to get him to use stunt doubles, probably trying to avoid their 75 year-old star suffering a broken hip, but he told them to stuff it and did it his way. What a badass.

Wow, that's pretty impressive considering some of the shots. I wonder how much green screen it was, or whether they actually tried to shoot on the ocean (obviously in a harbor or something).

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

A MIRACLE posted:

Jeremiah Johnson was such a badass movie. Is that on streaming anywhere?

It is indeed badass, and I believe it is on Amazon.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

He wrote a book where the main character is simultaneously a guy, his mother, his father, and his daughter.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

He wrote a book where the main character is simultaneously a guy, his mother, his father, and his daughter.

But was the science realistic enough? If my science fiction isn't hard-based on existing or possible technology, I refuse to enjoy it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I refuse to enjoy science-fiction that isn't science-fiction. Like, seriously, how incompetent do you need to be to make a science-fiction movie that isn't a science-fiction movie?

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

K. Waste posted:

I refuse to enjoy science-fiction that isn't science-fiction. Like, seriously, how incompetent do you need to be to make a science-fiction movie that isn't a science-fiction movie?

Only as brain dead as the people who decide it's good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just started Bates Motel and it's pretty great. It's a great conceit to drop a developing serial killer into a setting with tons of weird crime already going on. Vera Farmiga does a great job playing a narcissist/borderline personality type in a very believable and pretty true-to-life way, for whatever that's worth.

I remember really getting burned with The Killing, though. Should I stick with this one?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Movies are only good if they adhere to my weirdly rigid ideas of genre.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Jack Gladney posted:

I just started Bates Motel and it's pretty great. It's a great conceit to drop a developing serial killer into a setting with tons of weird crime already going on. Vera Farmiga does a great job playing a narcissist/borderline personality type in a very believable and pretty true-to-life way, for whatever that's worth.

I remember really getting burned with The Killing, though. Should I stick with this one?

I loving love the gag where all the girls just absolutely love him.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Need something in the vein of Face Off, The Rock, Point Break, 12 Monkeys. Mostly the first 3 but I just saw 12 Monkeys and loved it

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Need something in the vein of Face Off, The Rock, Point Break, 12 Monkeys. Mostly the first 3 but I just saw 12 Monkeys and loved it
I'm sure you've seen some of these, but In Bruges, The Usual Suspects, Pain and Gain, Killing Them Softly, The Fifth Element, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, 48 Hrs., and Beverly Hills Cop would be good choices.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

User-Friendly posted:

Movies are only good if they adhere to my weirdly rigid ideas of genre.

How about not being full of plot holes? Can we try that?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MadMattH posted:

Only as brain dead as the people who decide it's good.

everyone is stupid but you

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MadMattH posted:

"Plot hole" is an imaginary complaint invented by people who are incapable of abstract interpretation.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

MadMattH posted:

who gives a gently caress about plot holes

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm sure you've seen some of these, but In Bruges, The Usual Suspects, Pain and Gain, Killing Them Softly, The Fifth Element, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, 48 Hrs., and Beverly Hills Cop would be good choices.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen them all except Fifth Element, Killing Them Softly and 48 Hours. Think I'm going to start with Fifth Element. Open to more suggestions too

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
If anyone else hasn't seen The Fifth Element go watch it right goddamn now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

who gives a gently caress about plot holes

Especially when a "plot hole" is actually a "fictional setting."

ghetto wormhole posted:

If anyone else hasn't seen The Fifth Element go watch it right goddamn now.

Well duh. But what's up that ending? So unrealistic, right?

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

weekly font posted:

Well duh. But what's up that ending? So unrealistic, right?
There are more problems with that movie than the ending, but at least it's special effects are pretty decent.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

breaking news: guy with terrible opinions doesn't like The Fifth Element

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

breaking news: guy with terrible opinions doesn't like The Fifth Element

I didn't say I didn't like it, I said that it had problems.
I can like a movie without saying it's perfect.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

MadMattH posted:

There are more problems with that movie than the ending, but at least it's special effects are pretty decent.

what the gently caress is wrong with you man

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you man

What? That I said that the Fifth Element has some problems?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

MadMattH posted:

What? That I said that the Fifth Element has some problems?

It's literally perfect. It's the greatest movie ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

It's literally perfect. It's the greatest movie ever made.

You can go ahead and say that if you want, but you'd still be wrong.

• Locked thread