Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

EAB posted:

I want to start building a digital comic collection. Does comixology have big sales like Steam does during winter and summer?

I just built a wish list of comics I want to buy and it totals near $1000... if most of these are gonna be 50% for some winter sale or something I minus whale wait right? :V thats hooker money right there

There are many sales.
Marvel does one or two sales every week, usually Monday's (or is it Tuesdays?) and on the weekend.
DC does one sale at a time, usually a big chunk of books every week or two (Flash sale, Superman sale, Grant Morrison sale, etc).
Valiant does a massive sale on their entire library about every other month, it seems like. Just keep waiting: it'll go on sale eventually.
Image seems to do three or four big sales every year, usually of a big cross section of titles. They've done stuff like a sale on Eisner nominated books during the Eisner ceremony, a recent horror themed one, etc.

Unlike Steam, it seems to be dictated by the publisher.

Between following their Tumblr (which gets a bit annoying on Wednesdays), this thread, and periodic checking of the sales page, I usually at least hear about what's going for cheap. This thread will generally alert you if any of that is good or interesting!
https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale

If you are okay getting away from comiXology, Humble Bundle has been doing massive discounts of late. Right now it's Star Wars books. There's been a lot of other great ones in the last few months.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
New things go on sale every week. Usually they're discounted down to 99 cents an issue, sometimes less though. If you're looking to read a lot without spending too much, I'd recommend Marvel Unlimited.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hellblazer trade sale. $6 each.
https://www.comixology.com/Constant...cmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I was really hoping for every issue. :(

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

I was really hoping for every issue. :(

It's way under $1/issue this way, at least?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What are the best Hellblazer collections there?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hadji murad posted:

What are the best Hellblazer collections there?

All the non 52 ones.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I recommenced the Delano stuff with Constantine hanging out with homeless people, being a dick to his friends, screwing prostitutes and hating on Thatcher.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

onefish posted:

It's way under $1/issue this way, at least?

Yeah, the first 8 trades collect 1-83 for less than 50 bucks.
I'd recommend them all as I love the series but people should bear in mind this is old school Vertigo.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

Uthor posted:

There are many sales.
Marvel does one or two sales every week, usually Monday's (or is it Tuesdays?) and on the weekend.
DC does one sale at a time, usually a big chunk of books every week or two (Flash sale, Superman sale, Grant Morrison sale, etc).
Valiant does a massive sale on their entire library about every other month, it seems like. Just keep waiting: it'll go on sale eventually.
Image seems to do three or four big sales every year, usually of a big cross section of titles. They've done stuff like a sale on Eisner nominated books during the Eisner ceremony, a recent horror themed one, etc.

Unlike Steam, it seems to be dictated by the publisher.

Between following their Tumblr (which gets a bit annoying on Wednesdays), this thread, and periodic checking of the sales page, I usually at least hear about what's going for cheap. This thread will generally alert you if any of that is good or interesting!
https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale

If you are okay getting away from comiXology, Humble Bundle has been doing massive discounts of late. Right now it's Star Wars books. There's been a lot of other great ones in the last few months.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

I guess I'll just have to keep my eye open. A series on my wishlist just went 50% off, gently caress yeah! Hellblazer. Bought the 8 volumes they have on there.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

EAB posted:

I guess I'll just have to keep my eye open. A series on my wishlist just went 50% off, gently caress yeah! Hellblazer. Bought the 8 volumes they have on there.

This is what I do. I buy from Comixology exclusively when things go on sale, and have still managed to accumulate a pretty big collection (and haven't run out of stuff to read) over the past ~18 months. You have to visit the site daily if you want to be sure not to miss a sale, but there aren't any flash 3 hour sales or anything, so once a day is enough.

edit: I'm thinking not, but any recs from the IDW Halloween sale? Mystery Society would be my only rec -- pretty fun paranormal plot, but the main draw would be seeing Fiona Staples' art from before Saga.

onefish fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 23, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Clive Barker sale:
https://www.comixology.com/Clive-Ba...YWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw
How's Next Testament?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

OMG, Zenoscope sale!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

OMG, Zenoscope sale!

Is... Is it wrong that I think Irresistable might have potential as a dark comedy? Like, I know nothing except the blurb on Comixology, but it seems like it could be fun, trashy stuff?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

onefish posted:

edit: I'm thinking not, but any recs from the IDW Halloween sale? Mystery Society would be my only rec -- pretty fun paranormal plot, but the main draw would be seeing Fiona Staples' art from before Saga.

Zombies vs. Robots is a good showcase for Ashley Wood's art and a pretty great deal at 3 bucks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fantagraphics EC Comics collections.
https://www.comixology.com/EC-Comic...cmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 28, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bob's Burgers #1 for 99 cents with the code BELCHER.

http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/101343276313/heres-a-burger-of-the-day-special-for-you-get

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kinda disappointed the code isn't FRIENDFIC

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm really new to this whole Comixology thing. The site looks great, but before I go crazy wasting spending money on comics, is there a way to download them for offline reading on a Kindle? Or do you have to be connected and using their app at all times?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Zoe posted:

I'm really new to this whole Comixology thing. The site looks great, but before I go crazy wasting spending money on comics, is there a way to download them for offline reading on a Kindle? Or do you have to be connected and using their app at all times?

If there's a Comixology app for Kindle, than yes, you should be able to download and read them. That is how the app works for iOS, at least. If you want to test the experience, you can always try with some of the issues they have online for free.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Shitshow posted:

If you want to test the experience, you can always try with some of the issues they have online for free.

Yeah I guess I'll try this. I just want to be sure because I have this awful data limit situation I'm living with, the Kindle only gets to go online when I'm at a library or the parking lot of a McDonalds basically.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

What Shitshow said. They don't "stream" the comics in any case, you have to download them to your device and you do not have to be online to read them. I haven't heard of a limit of how much you can download, either.

Some of the indie publishers even let you download backup files that don't require comiXology at all.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

One day sale of Terry Moore's Echo today.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Superior Spider-Man sale today on Comixology. Say what you want about the main series, but the crossover with All-New X-Men and Hulk was pretty good.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Uthor posted:

One day sale of Terry Moore's Echo today.

Totally jumped on this. I just finished catching up on Rachel Rising and rereading Strangers in Paradise.

That's when I figured I should read Echo and bam, a sale 2 days later.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
gently caress yeah, there's a Grant Morrison Vertigo sale on Comixology.

It includes Doom Patrol, The Filth, Flex Mentallo, Seaguy, We3, Joe The Barbarian, Kid Eternity, Vinanarama, his Hellblazer issues and his Swamp Thing issues.

The only thing missing is The Invisibles, but that was on sale earlier (this year?)

Anyway, massive wallet damage here as the only things I already had digitally were The Filth and the Hellblazer issues. And outside of Flex Mentallo and We3, I haven't read any of this stuff.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Oh holy gently caress, I almost just bought all of Doom Patrol this weekend on a binge. Yesssssssss

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh sweet. I don't think Kid Eternity had been available before.

Maybe Seaguy Vol. 3 is getting announced this week.

e: Uh. The Kid Eternity they're selling under Grant's name is the Ann Nocenti series.
ee: Yay! I contributed to getting a comic pulled :D I feel all powerful!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 4, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

hadji murad posted:

Archie Halloween sale which means Afterlife With Archie 1-6 for 99 cents!

I think Google Play still has the "Afterlife with Archie: Escape from Riverdale" TPB on sale for $3.03, too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Oh holy gently caress, I almost just bought all of Doom Patrol this weekend on a binge. Yesssssssss

I just got that. I can not wait to read it. All hail Danny the street!

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

If it's important to anyone, the Flex Mentallo books are the recolors.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Captain America by Rick Remender.
https://www.comixology.com/Captain-America-Sale/page/4158?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

I can super recommend 1-10. The rest, not so much.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Would an ipad mini be a large enough tablet to read Marvel Unlimited on? I've never read digital comics before, but really want to read the early 60s Marvel stuff, and the hundreds of dollars I'd need to spend on omnibuses is weighing heavily down on me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Should be. 8 inches is about average for tablet screens. Mine's 10.5 and it's basically indistinguishable from a normal page, so worst case, you'd be seen slightly shrunken pages, but that's what the panel view modes are for.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Would an ipad mini be a large enough tablet to read Marvel Unlimited on? I've never read digital comics before, but really want to read the early 60s Marvel stuff, and the hundreds of dollars I'd need to spend on omnibuses is weighing heavily down on me.

The panel mode is terrible on Unlimited, but you won't run into many two page spreads in those early comics so I don't think it will be much of a problem. You might have to zoom in slightly and just move the page around. You can actually see the first couple pages of most books without an account, so try downloading the app and pulling one up and see how it looks.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Is panel view just 1 panel shown at a time as opposed to the whole page? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I've heard of guided views and I wasn't sure what that meant either.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is panel view just 1 panel shown at a time as opposed to the whole page? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I've heard of guided views and I wasn't sure what that meant either.

Yep! panel view and guided view are the same thing.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Senor Candle posted:

Yep! panel view and guided view are the same thing.

Except Comixology's Guided View (tm) is vastly superior.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Godland-...YWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wasn't aware of this series, but those covers are amazing.