Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
My predictions:

Hyrule Warriors - Twilight Princess DLC info & date & amiibo functionality
Mario Kart 8 - DLC info & date & amiibo functionality
Smash Bros - Duck Hunt Duo trailer
Captain Toad - new footage + announcement of co-op play (P1 as Toad, P2 as Toadette)
Yoshi's Wooly World - new footage & amiibo functionality
Pokemon ORAS - I dunno, but something for sure
Mario Maker - new footage, announcement of SMB 3 engine
Majora's Mask 3D announcement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hoping for a closer look at some more new MK8 tracks and an explanation of what Amiibo does in the non-Smash titles this year, personally.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

greatn posted:

Who picks these seemingly random times? Last time it was at 3pm pacific so there's at least the chance people in the eastern time zone are home from work and people in the west coast are home from school.
There are countries other than America in the world????

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

greatn posted:

Who picks these seemingly random times? Last time it was at 3pm pacific so there's at least the chance people in the eastern time zone are home from work and people in the west coast are home from school.

It's 7AM japan time, so maybe that's when someone gets into the office and presses "go."

It's not like it matters watching live anyway, though. They upload them to YouTube pretty shortly afterwards anyway.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Cat Machine posted:

There are countries other than America in the world????

Really makes you think

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dunban posted:

Majora's Mask 3D announcement

Hahahahahahahahaha.

I wish :smith:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Look, Nintendo is gonna have to stop teasing Majora's Mask 3D at some point... right?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

TheHoosier posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha.

I wish :smith:

They are working on it, it's just a matter of announcing it.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
A Majora's Mask remake announcement would make the 3DS my favorite piece of hardware in my house.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Nintendo announce majoras mask

For the new 3ds

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That sounds depressingly plausible even if it would be totally unnecessary. Wouldn't bother me too much since I'm going to get a New XL anyway, but a lot of people would be rightfully annoyed by that.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Hey, Majora's Mask shifted some serious expansion packs. No reason the remake couldn't pull the same kind of trick a decade later!!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
New Super Luigi U was interesting. I played through that last night and I liked the idea of having levels that are short but intense challenges. I kind of liked how since there isn't time for exploration most of the star coins are positioned in ways that are technically challenging to reach as opposed to in the main game where sometimes I just found myself pushing against every wall until I happened to accidentally find the star coin. NSMBU was good but I think I liked this DLC more just because it feels more frantic and I like to speed through levels anyway.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I really hope they talk about splatoon

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Nintendo announce majoras mask

For the new 3ds

If the graphical quality was above that of Ocarina 3DS (better textures, redone models) then I'd be 100% on board with this idea.

I know this ain't happening but it'd be really nice as I've never played Majora's Mask. :(

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

mabels big day posted:

I really doubt this will happen, but it would make me very happy. More stuff about Splatoon would be great.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I remember preordering majoras mask, playing it upon launch and getting really bored with it quick.

I got at least 80% done and quit. Still own it but never picked it back up.

At the time it just couldnt hold a candle to ocarina for me.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Oh hey, it's Nintendo Direct time again! November 5, showcasing games for both Wii U and 3DS:

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/11-05-2014/ (2PM Pacific)
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect (10PM UK)
Nintendo, for goodness' sakes, can you not pick a time directly when I'm in class
Details will be added to the OP momentarily.

mabels big day posted:

I wouldn't completely doubt it. It was one of the three games listed as "first half of 2015." Woolly World, and Mario Maker could get extra details, as well. Possible Project Giant Robot as well, since I believe there was a document somewhere that said it had a similar release window.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Maybe they will announce you can now play Wii games with the gamepad controls

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

oknope posted:

Maybe they will announce you can now play Wii games with the gamepad controls

From what I understand this is impossible, sadly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hoping for Splatton anything, Majora's Mask 3D announcement and MK8 DLC out NOW! or tomorrow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Splatoon had a playable demo at PAX-Aus, so there's no reason to think there won't be at least something on it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

mabels big day posted:

From what I understand this is impossible, sadly.

Know what else was 'impossible'? Displaying Wii Mode on the gamepad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Know what else was 'impossible'? Displaying Wii Mode on the gamepad.

Apples and Oranges. They managed to fudge the Wii Mode on the gamepad because it uses the "Wii" mode hardware for streaming to the gamepad anyway. Gamepad controls are strictly wireless, and the Wii can only see Bluetooth connections for its Wiimotes.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm sure it would be possible to hack around the issue. Would probably be pretty difficult and the result would be quite ugly on the code side, and it certainly wouldn't be worth the time and effort, but not impossible.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

davey4283 posted:

I remember preordering majoras mask, playing it upon launch and getting really bored with it quick.

I got at least 80% done and quit. Still own it but never picked it back up.

At the time it just couldnt hold a candle to ocarina for me.

It could, you just had bad opinions at the time, obviously you've matured since then and should try it again.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
So I just explained the Wii U, compatible controllers, the gamepad in general, and the smash adapter debacle to a friend, and wow this console is still really confusing to explain to people.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm sure it would be possible to hack around the issue. Would probably be pretty difficult and the result would be quite ugly on the code side, and it certainly wouldn't be worth the time and effort, but not impossible.

Yeah, exactly this. Nothing is impossible when it comes to coding a videogame system. It is likely prohibitively expensive to do and would be ugly and buggy, but it's not impossible. And the fact that they got it to display on the gamepad is absolutely not apples and oranges when it comes to retrofitting new hardware to old hardware, it was just cheaper and easier to develop, so it was worth their time to do it.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
it's a console with a controller that's entirely normal except it has a screen on it and it's compatible with a whole shitload of controllers and now they're adding even more controllers for it to be compatible with

that wasn't too bad.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

it's a console with a controller that's entirely normal except it has a screen on it and it's compatible with a whole shitload of controllers and now they're adding even more controllers for it to be compatible with

that wasn't too bad.

Then comes the dreaded question, "But which one should I buy?" and the follow up answer... "Well, it depends".

Edit: After having it for a while, it's really easy to forget how confusing this thing is for the uninitiated. I remember when I was first planning on buying one, I was in here asking questions everyday because I was confused, despite having played videogames for 25 years.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 4, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Splatoon had a playable demo at PAX-Aus, so there's no reason to think there won't be at least something on it.

I wouldn't get too excited, I'd imagine they'll mostly be hyping their Christmas games. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Man, can't wait for tommorow's SMTxFE gameplay!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I imagine we're totally gonna get the Duck Hunt trailer finally, but I wonder if they'll mention any other DLC to go along with mewtwo now?

I really hope we see more Mario Maker and Wooly World. I want to play around with the Mario Maker so badly. That being said if they were to have to delay the game so they could put more tilesets in then godspeed Nintendo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fremry posted:

Yeah, exactly this. Nothing is impossible when it comes to coding a videogame system. It is likely prohibitively expensive to do and would be ugly and buggy, but it's not impossible. And the fact that they got it to display on the gamepad is absolutely not apples and oranges when it comes to retrofitting new hardware to old hardware, it was just cheaper and easier to develop, so it was worth their time to do it.

It really is apples and oranges, because sending the video out to the gamepad only requires changing the output channel before firing up Wii Mode. Running controls through hardware the Wii can't even perceive is a magnitude different, and largely pointless - Most of the Wii Library needs waggle controls in some capacity. Granted there's a good chunk of games that use the Classic Controller, but not the majority of titles.

Shelf Adventure posted:

I wouldn't get too excited, I'd imagine they'll mostly be hyping their Christmas games. Hopefully I'm wrong.

If they've gotten it to the public demo stage in one region, Australia no less, then they're probably going to be pushing it elsewhere as well.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Shelf Adventure posted:

They're gonna show off games launching in early 2015 as well.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Macaluso posted:

I really hope we see more Mario Maker and Wooly World. I want to play around with the Mario Maker so badly. That being said if they were to have to delay the game so they could put more tilesets in then godspeed Nintendo

Captain Toad and Wooly world are the two games I'm most hyped about right now. I'm really hoping we'll hear stuff about both of them. This console is causing me to have a backlog already. I still have to finish Wind Waker (but that's my fault for playing Aria of Sorrow and Metroid Fusion in the interim), and I still have Pikmin 3 and DKC: Tropical Freeze to play. I may actually be good for a couple months of no releases in Jan-March to catch up.

Edit:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It really is apples and oranges, because sending the video out to the gamepad only requires changing the output channel before firing up Wii Mode. Running controls through hardware the Wii can't even perceive is a magnitude different, and largely pointless - Most of the Wii Library needs waggle controls in some capacity. Granted there's a good chunk of games that use the Classic Controller, but not the majority of titles.

I agree, but saying it's impossible is not true and is going to get a reaction when you're on a forum that has a disproportionate number of IT professionals. It would take some clever and ugly interface code, but it's definitely technically feasible.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 4, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Using the Wii U Gamepad controls in Wii Mode would be nice, but not something I'm banking on, much like the Wii U Gamepad being used to display Wii Mode stuff.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

zfleeman posted:

So I just explained the Wii U, compatible controllers, the gamepad in general, and the smash adapter debacle to a friend, and wow this console is still really confusing to explain to people.

I don't really understand it either and I've had it for a few months now. Top that with me already ordering an Amiibo and still being pretty much baffled at how they'll work outside of Smash and I guess I'm pretty clueless.

--

Here's a thing I wrote about waggle controls in the recent generation: Eight Defining Games of the Waggle Generation. It never bothered me that much, and I think it settled down towards the end of the Wii's life cycle (disregarding Skyward Sword I guess). I wasn't bothered at the waggling in either Wii Zelda but I've always wished I could sit down and play them waggle-less. I'm personally hoping for HD announcements to that effect.

I really like the way the Wii U has advanced the motion controls of the Wii, so that now it's primarily just the subtle, gyro stuff as in Wind Waker HD. I think those can enhance the normal gaming experience without changing it too much, if you know what I mean?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
In can't imagine skyward sword being release again without motion controls, they'd have to build it again from the ground up. Even the combat is grounded in them making encounters much slower and more puzzle like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PoshAlligator posted:

I don't really understand it either and I've had it for a few months now. Top that with me already ordering an Amiibo and still being pretty much baffled at how they'll work outside of Smash and I guess I'm pretty clueless.

You're not clueless. We are all wondering what they are going to do outside of Smash. Maybe (hopefully) tomorrow's direct will shed some light on that.

• Locked thread