Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Let's say a person develops a little baby cold sore. No grappling at all? For how long after it's gone? Sanjay Gupta tells me that 80 to 90 percent of Americans have it already but def not looking to be a dick about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

cptInsane0 posted:

Mechafunkzilla's explanation is probably more accurate, but I was under the impression that it's because a kneebar doesn't start to hurt until it's almost too late, and someone who is not experienced enough may not tap early enough to avoid serious damage.

The old Brazillian idea is that "If you can go for a leglock, you should be trying to pass the guard instead". It's outdated but the prejudice remains.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Practice on charity muggers.

Um, what are charity muggers? Are they similar to panhandlers? The salvation army people with the coin buckets?

I thought the #1 rule of self-defense is learn how to pick your fights and disengage as soon as possible. Also, when you enter a room be sure to know all the available exits and brightly lit areas with emergency phones.

All the fencing discussion makes me wish I could join a local fencing club too. I should probably take one hobby at a time though :sigh:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The old Brazillian idea is that "If you can go for a leglock, you should be trying to pass the guard instead". It's outdated but the prejudice remains.

Why not both break his leg and then pass guard? Seems like passing guard would be easier if he wasn't capable of moving his leg?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Alder posted:

Um, what are charity muggers? Are they similar to panhandlers? The salvation army people with the coin buckets?

Oh no, those guys are volunteers, and they're usually really nice, and they're legit charities.

It used to mean a person employed by a fundraising agency (who were employed by a charity) who stands in the aisle of a shopping centre or on a street and tries to convince people who pass by to set up direct debits to make regular donations. Except that less than half of them are charities anymore, it's people trying to sell you paintball, mcdojos, subscriptions to have makeup delivered regularly, stuff like that. They tend to be paid purely on commissions, so they have to sell or starve, which is why they're super aggressive. And some of the 'charities' that still use this model are really dodgy, too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Oh no, those guys are volunteers, and they're usually really nice, and they're legit charities.

It used to mean a person employed by a fundraising agency (who were employed by a charity) who stands in the aisle of a shopping centre or on a street and tries to convince people who pass by to set up direct debits to make regular donations. Except that less than half of them are charities anymore, it's people trying to sell you paintball, mcdojos, subscriptions to have makeup delivered regularly, stuff like that. They tend to be paid purely on commissions, so they have to sell or starve, which is why they're super aggressive. And some of the 'charities' that still use this model are really dodgy, too.

So it would be technically scammers and/or fraudsters? Is this related to MLP schemes? I've had to tell my family members many times to not join them in the past despite my prior warnings.

I don't think I've ever encountered one before in NYC or at the local town centers.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

KildarX posted:

Why not both break his leg and then pass guard? Seems like passing guard would be easier if he wasn't capable of moving his leg?

It's a false dichotomy anyway, passing the guard puts you in a better position to go for a leglock if you so choose.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Decades posted:

Let's say a person develops a little baby cold sore. No grappling at all? For how long after it's gone? Sanjay Gupta tells me that 80 to 90 percent of Americans have it already but def not looking to be a dick about it.

I don't know how long cold sores last but you should not roll with one. I don't know much about Gupta but I don't think you should get medical knowledge from TV.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Uuuugh... BJJ and sparring is making me feel like a god drat moron. I swear whenever I spar my mind blanks. Like no submission come to mind ever. I get in mount, sweet. Now what? What like... Choke them? How do I choke them from here? Can't remember poo poo and then I just try to defend my good position while wracking my brain for something to do. Anything to do.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

origami posted:

I don't know how long cold sores last but you should not roll with one. I don't know much about Gupta but I don't think you should get medical knowledge from TV.

Was kinda tongue in cheek about Gupta but I do think they're pretty common. Anyway, decided the same and stayed home watching Dean Lister instructionals on youtube

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I just had my first BJJ class. Being 20 pounds heavier than the last time I did martial arts (I dipped my toes in judo and karate almost 2 years ago, but didn't pick up too much, and never went to any of the gradings), having no cardio, and still dealing with some minor injuries, I figured I'd take it easy and only participate in really simple, low-impact drills. Instead we started out having to pommel for underhooks as a warm-up (which probably would have been low-impact had the other people in class not had arms the size of my legs!), after which we started to throw each other around with a technique that looked like a combination of a trip and a sacrifice throw. Quite a difference from judo, where the first long while was all about learning how to fall; but then again, my friend and I were the only complete BJJ newcomers, so maybe there has to be more new people for the teacher to go through the basics step-by-step. Ground drilling was also a bit more freeform than I'd expected—we were just told 'okay, now get out from underneath side control', 'pass their guard', etc. The former was fine, but trying to pass someone's guard with zero guard passes in my arsenal didn't work out too well!

I was completely gassed at the end of the class, and I felt bad for my partner (a girl, who was the only one in class who didn't have a size/strength advantage on me) for the final roll, since I could offer basically no resistance beyond re-guarding and keeping my arms out of submissions. At the very end, I gave up my back, remembering that I used to feel pretty safe when turtled up in judo. Then I realized I was actually completely flattened out, and despite her going easy on me, I was way too fatigued to try to improve my position or even handfight her for more than a couple of seconds before getting RNC'd. But yeah, for those of you thinking of trying out martial arts and worrying about not being in shape, just go for it. I've been in full-on couch potato mode all year, but even when completely sapped of energy, it's pretty drat fun. Hoping to go again tomorrow, and maybe again on Friday. :)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Rabhadh posted:

Did you ex appreciate you beating off that fat guy?

When practicing the deadly art of self-defense nobody gets beaten up.

Or even hurt.

:colbert:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Decades posted:

Was kinda tongue in cheek about Gupta but I do think they're pretty common. Anyway, decided the same and stayed home watching Dean Lister instructionals on youtube
You can transmit HSV-1 through close personal contact from secretions or respiratory droplets. You don't have to be symptomatic to be infectious (ie it doesn't matter if you're rolling with a cold sore or not), hence, why the majority of North Americans have it. Most people get HSV-1 as babies/kids since - surprise surprise - people like kissing babies.

I would be more worried about you contracting other illnesses while rolling with an open sore that you can't cover up - hepatitis, norwalk, MRSA...ebola...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

General Emergency posted:

Uuuugh... BJJ and sparring is making me feel like a god drat moron. I swear whenever I spar my mind blanks. Like no submission come to mind ever. I get in mount, sweet. Now what? What like... Choke them? How do I choke them from here? Can't remember poo poo and then I just try to defend my good position while wracking my brain for something to do. Anything to do.

You're new to grappling, right? Don't even worry about submissions when you roll for now. Just try to get and hold a dominant position like side control. If you get there and feel comfortable, work on your transitions to north-south and mount and scarf and then back to side control.

A lot of newbies stall their progress because they rush to do things they don't really know in sparring instead of developing fundamentals. Get your positions, passes, and transitions down pat, then start adding things like isolating an arm once you're in a dominant position, THEN worry about finishing with the sub. Trying to 'catch' a submission in a scramble while you're still learning basic stuff isn't a good way to develop your game.

When you do start adding subs, limit yourself. Learn, say, a jacket choke from mount, and then when you roll give yourself the solitary goal of getting to mount and getting that sub. Eventually it'll become something you know how to do, and you can move on to something else. It can get a little frustrating because you're drilling all kinds of subs during class and then can't remember how to pull them off when you roll, but realize that 90% of what you're accomplishing in those drills is developing muscle memory for those moves. It'll build up over time until it clicks and you can actually start pulling it off against resistance, but only if the opportunities show themselves due to having solid fundamentals.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 4, 2014

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Bangkero posted:

I would be more worried about you contracting other illnesses while rolling with an open sore that you can't cover up

Thanks sounds like good advice

Fun fact, we're two blocks away from The Gutter, where Dr. Craig Spencer did his ebowling, so hits closer to home than you'd think!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Disclosure: I'm a Judo guy.

I find when sparring, especially when I was new, it was helpful to focus on one technique at a time when practicing. It helped me focus during randori, as well as give structure to my practice. Set small, progressive goals.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Decades posted:

Let's say a person develops a little baby cold sore. No grappling at all?

Don't go to class with a cold sore. Nobody wants mat herpes.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 4, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Thoguh posted:

Don't go to class with a cold sore. Nobody wants mat herpes.

This. I was so happy yesterday when going to the gym early two cleaning ladies were swiping the floor with hospital disinfectant.

Guyz don't be the guyz who undo their work.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ligur posted:

I was so happy yesterday when going to the gym early two cleaning ladies were swiping the floor with hospital disinfectant.

That's not a daily occurrence?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ligur posted:

This. I was so happy yesterday when going to the gym early two cleaning ladies were swiping the floor with hospital disinfectant.

Guyz don't be the guyz who undo their work.

Uh, this is something I didn't consider before. They do hire people to clean the gym after each class right, right?

Can I wear socks?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Alder posted:

Uh, this is something I didn't consider before. They do hire people to clean the gym after each class right, right?

Can I wear socks?

Most gyms, mine included, just have the students sweep and mop the mats after each class.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Decades posted:

Fun fact, we're two blocks away from The Gutter, where Dr. Craig Spencer did his ebowling, so hits closer to home than you'd think!

May I ask where you're training? If there are good BJJ places in Williamsburg/Greenpoint/Bushwick I would love to know about them.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Toehold chat; Toeholds should be fine; You can grab it, lock it up and just hold it there without injuring your training partner. Almost the same with kneebars; they're basically armbars on your leg; they're easy to see/recognize, just like a toehold. Maybe they are not for the whitest of white belts, but everyone should know feet attacks and defense; by not teaching it to white belts I think you keep them in the dark, and unnecessarily fearful. It's better to know what and why and how we fear things, and then how to escape them.

With heel hooks you can so often be too freaking tight too quick, even as the applier without noticing. It's far less 'obvious'. You only need a small twist to apply a hell of a lot of pressure and people really aren't sensitive unless they're experienced enough that they can roll without (too much) ego (e.g. not think "I NEED THIS SUB!!! (more than I value my partners safety)!!" ).

if you're new, just do whatever. You really just need to learn how your body works, so focus on escapes. Calm the gently caress down and watch/feel what the other person is doing, don't go hog wild, don't hope to snatch a win out there, you win by learning. Learn when to do your escapes, and how. Then when you're calm enough to escape hairy situations you will have time to think about doing submissions.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Very relevant: trained heel hooks and their defense for the first time today. Holy poo poo, that adds an entire new dimension to grappling that I hadn't seen before. I will definitely be more cognizant of them in the future.

A small rant: I'm getting pretty sick of big dudes saying that I need to "relax". I've rolled enough and read enough of the forums to know that I'm not going super hard (and definitely not spazzing), but when your training partner outweighs you by 60lbs or so, it's kind of hard to do anything without exerting a little extra effort. I am applying proper technique, I just have to put more force behind it in order to get this big mass to move.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

The Duck of Death posted:

May I ask where you're training? If there are good BJJ places in Williamsburg/Greenpoint/Bushwick I would love to know about them.

Yeah Williamsburg MMA, formerly Williamsburg BJJ. I like the place a lot. I did a spiel at the end of page 265 that I don't wanna regurgitate but if you've got questions feel free.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
A little bit off topic but was it someone in this thread who recommended the doco Cornered? Cause that was a pro click. Goddamn.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

These people are so poo poo. I loving hate being accosted when I'm walking around the shops. Not to do a whole :goonsay: spiel on it, but if I want to go paintballing or give money to sick kids I'll do it, I don't need the guilt trip about the couple of bucks I spent on a coffee.

I had some woman step in front of me while I was walking the other day. I wasn't really watching where I was going and I kinda bumped into her a little bit. I apologised and let her ramble on for a minute before I just smiled and said "no thanks" and walked away. i can understand how some people would get pressured into buying poo poo they don't want though.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Yup, new to grappling. Thanks for the tips guys. I do try to take it easy ,and just work on techniques while sparring but sometimes you fail especially with the eager younger guys. Never thought I'd have an issue with my ego but I guess the drat thing does get in the way. Chill, get tapped, roll again. Clean some mats.

I'll try to take your advice and limit myself to a couple of techniques for every rolling session instead of trying to go for EVERYTHING. I do feel overwhelmed with all the options and then I can't perform any of them. Gotta have some focus or I'll never learn anything properly.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Not unlike striking, sometimes you just gotta not tell anyone about it and jab for a week or two.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Broke my motherfucking foot in class. No joke, actually broken, in a cast now.

So, out for a while. gently caress everything this blows.

mewse
May 2, 2006

BrainDance posted:

Broke my motherfucking foot in class. No joke, actually broken, in a cast now.

So, out for a while. gently caress everything this blows.

When you threaten to break your foot off in someone's rear end it is not to be taken literally

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
went back to judo for the first time in 2 months (was out because of a broken hand) and holy poo poo am i out of shape :negative:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I've been doing grapplemans sports for seven months now and now while I'm still getting subbed in rolling, it doesn't happen with near the frequency it used to, and I'm even able to get my own attacks out and make my partners think. If you're new to rolling stick with it and have fun, it clicks eventually. :downs:

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Kuvo posted:

went back to judo for the first time in 2 months (was out because of a broken hand) and holy poo poo am i out of shape :negative:

Isn't it the best feeling in the world?

It was the same reaction I had when I was out for a month and a half for a grade 2 ankle sprain. My judo club will just tell me to "harden the gently caress up" and keep going with 100 push ups until I vomit. Positive motivation at it's finest.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009
I guess I'm gonna open up a can of worms with the whole "train mma from the start" vs "train base art/arts separately" debate, but I wanna get some feedback on it.

Basically; my situation, I got a background of about 5 years total in judo on and off throughout my childhood, teenage, and college years, played American football in hs, (and 6 solid years in tkd.) I'm interested into getting into mma. My area has legit, good gyms for MMA, KB/Kyokushin/MT, Boxing, Judo, and BJJ all within at least a half an hour radius of me, so lots of options.
I tried the mma gym already, and I found the wrestling really good(the wrestling coach was on the national freestyle and greco team), but I felt I wasn't getting enough work with my striking which I feel would easily be the weakest aspect of my game.

So my plan is to start boxing solely for about 6 months(I've already started at the boxing gym and I've noticed tons of improvement in just 2 weeks), add judo like once or twice a week after a few months of boxing, then switch to KB/MT for 6 months while keeping up with the judo. So a year of getting striking fundamentals down, while polishing up my rusty Judo, then going to the MMA gym to put it all together and suplementing that with jits. Does that sound like a good idea?

Tldr; train boxing and muay thai with some judo before going into mma. Yea or nay?

Will2Powa fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 5, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Will2Powa posted:

I guess I'm gonna open up a can of worms with the whole "train mma from the start" vs "train base art/arts separately" debate, but I wanna get some feedback on it.

Basically; my situation, I got a background of about 5 years total in judo on and off throughout my childhood, teenage, and college years, played American football in hs, (and 6 solid years in tkd.) I'm interested into getting into mma. My area has legit, good gyms for MMA, KB/Kyokushin/MT, Boxing, Judo, and BJJ all within at least a half an hour radius of me, so lots of options.
I tried the mma gym already, and I found the wrestling really good(the wrestling coach was on the national freestyle and greco team), but I felt I wasn't getting enough work with my striking which I feel would easily be the weakest aspect of my game.

So my plan is to start boxing solely for about 6 months(I've already started at the boxing gym and I've noticed tons of improvement in just 2 weeks), add judo like once or twice a week after a few months of boxing, then switch to KB/MT for 6 months while keeping up with the judo. So a year of getting striking fundamentals down, while polishing up my rusty Judo, then going to the MMA gym to put it all together and suplementing that with jits. Does that sound like a good idea?

Tldr; train boxing and muay thai with some judo before going into mma. Yea or nay?

Just train MMA if you want to do MMA. A decent MMA gym/coach is going to have you training striking and grappling separately a lot of the time anyway.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Will2Powa posted:

I mean, it may well be a good plan, but I (and I think some of the people in here) value good trainers over the right style. So if you're finding you're making a lot of progress with trainer X maybe it's not the best thing to hotswap for trainer Y just because. Maybe all these trainers are really good and that works out for you though.

The other thing I'll say is that different styles train differently for different rule sets. Like, I don't think boxing is going to be detrimental if your end goal is be be MMA fighter (and that does seem to be your end goal) but you may find it more efficient to train in a style where kicks and grapples are part of the rule set. Why not start now working on the slightly wider stance, mixing in kicks, and transitioning to takedowns? You'll have to learn it all anyway. Meanwhile you won't be learning some of the stuff that works well in boxing, but just doesn't in an MMA setting. Again, not that boxing is going to hurt you, just you'll be learning skills that don't apply to your rule set when you could be learning stuff that does work in your ruleset. So I would say if you want to fight under an MMA ruleset stick to the MMA place and just say to your coaches: "I know more of this wrassle stuff, can I work the striky stuff?" and if they don't have the time for your special snowflake rear end (which they might, might not, depending) go do some muay thai/KB.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

the JJ posted:

I mean, it may well be a good plan, but I (and I think some of the people in here) value good trainers over the right style. So if you're finding you're making a lot of progress with trainer X maybe it's not the best thing to hotswap for trainer Y just because. Maybe all these trainers are really good and that works out for you though.

The other thing I'll say is that different styles train differently for different rule sets. Like, I don't think boxing is going to be detrimental if your end goal is be be MMA fighter (and that does seem to be your end goal) but you may find it more efficient to train in a style where kicks and grapples are part of the rule set. Why not start now working on the slightly wider stance, mixing in kicks, and transitioning to takedowns? You'll have to learn it all anyway. Meanwhile you won't be learning some of the stuff that works well in boxing, but just doesn't in an MMA setting. Again, not that boxing is going to hurt you, just you'll be learning skills that don't apply to your rule set when you could be learning stuff that does work in your ruleset. So I would say if you want to fight under an MMA ruleset stick to the MMA place and just say to your coaches: "I know more of this wrassle stuff, can I work the striky stuff?" and if they don't have the time for your special snowflake rear end (which they might, might not, depending) go do some muay thai/KB.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking what the weakness of my plan would be. I think I'll stick to just the boxing gym for the next two months since it gels better with my financial situation at the moment (It's half the cost of the MMA gym). Then just go start at the MMA gym again. I got time in the mornings three days of the week anyways so I could just suplement MMA with boxing and Kickboxing anyways.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I thik I've been overtraining a bit: My weeks have consisted of 8 or 9 training sessions with 2-4 being judo/sambo combined with running, calisthenics and weight training and now my knees and elbows are aching a bit. Not in a way that it would be too painful or prevent me for sleeping or anything, but I can definitely tell that they are aching. I'm gonna rest four or five days and see how I feel after that but is there anything else that would help me? Eating a lot is probably a one thing, but what about keeping my joints warm with hot pouches or something?

Don't wanna injure myself via stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I thik I've been overtraining a bit: My weeks have consisted of 8 or 9 training sessions with 2-4 being judo/sambo combined with running, calisthenics and weight training and now my knees and elbows are aching a bit. Not in a way that it would be too painful or prevent me for sleeping or anything, but I can definitely tell that they are aching. I'm gonna rest four or five days and see how I feel after that but is there anything else that would help me? Eating a lot is probably a one thing, but what about keeping my joints warm with hot pouches or something?

Don't wanna injure myself via stupidity.

fish oil, for joints.

• Locked thread