Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For the "mash A" crafting stations, it really is all about the timing. And the timing can be annoyingly hard to get down. :mad: Now I always save up the super power for when I have to do that.

I'm at the point where I'm crafting so much good armor I don't want to have to choose. So much dress-up, so little time. And despite not going to Al-Maajik yet and thus having almost no Gold, I had the materials to craft an insanely good sword (Azure Rose, I think) that's usable by all classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So here's a question, I need a dragon stone or whatever they're called and went and mined the scab in the volcano. I got nothing (dragon scales :argh: ) and now whenever I head back in there it's gone. I've traveled the entire world, crafted extra junk, and farted around for a bit and it's still not back. How do I get it to respawn?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Just to go to sleep to respawn any boss mobs, nodes, trees, etc.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Usually special things respawn when you sleep in a bed.

E: f; b

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, getting to Alchemy level 15 is a pain. Really wished they had thought up some other challenge other than reaching it. I did learn that making items in bulk does give you more exp. though there might be diminishing returns. Course, it might still be faster to make things in bulk time-wise anyways. Auto and Auto+ cuts your exp. gain down to 50% and 60% but on the other hand, more convenient to let the game do it for you after grinding it out after a while.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have a quest to give a dude a Durable Charm. No, it doesn't say "Good" or "Top" quality or anything. I happen to have two of them in my inventory, but I didn't actually MAKE either of them. Is he not taking it because I didn't make it myself? That's not how any of the other quests work. :confused:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Doesn't he ask for a quality Durable Charm? In that case, you'll have to make one yourself that's good, great, or top.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Allarion posted:

Man, getting to Alchemy level 15 is a pain. Really wished they had thought up some other challenge other than reaching it. I did learn that making items in bulk does give you more exp. though there might be diminishing returns. Course, it might still be faster to make things in bulk time-wise anyways. Auto and Auto+ cuts your exp. gain down to 50% and 60% but on the other hand, more convenient to let the game do it for you after grinding it out after a while.

I just ground out the top-tier alchemist bombs since they're master level and you can buy the mats. I also did a similar thing for red-rimmed glasses for the same reason. Took a while, but I just put on some speedrun videos and occasionally hit inputs for auto-crafting until everything was leveled.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Allarion posted:

Doesn't he ask for a quality Durable Charm? In that case, you'll have to make one yourself that's good, great, or top.

He probably did, it's just that every other quest where you have to make a quality item says so in the quest log (at least, I think it always does).

50 hours and I guess I should just go to Al-Maajik and get it over with so I can clear out some of these quests I've had forever (like "bring me a Pumpkin Pie" and "High Quality Sleep Bombs").

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dirk the Average posted:

I just ground out the top-tier alchemist bombs since they're master level and you can buy the mats. I also did a similar thing for red-rimmed glasses for the same reason. Took a while, but I just put on some speedrun videos and occasionally hit inputs for auto-crafting until everything was leveled.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm doing right now. Still taking a while, but I hit 15 in medicine a while ago, so I switched to making reinforced charms, which probably slowed down my Alchemy leveling, but I can make top-quality charms in Auto mode now.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Allarion posted:

Yeah, that's basically what I'm doing right now. Still taking a while, but I hit 15 in medicine a while ago, so I switched to making reinforced charms, which probably slowed down my Alchemy leveling, but I can make top-quality charms in Auto mode now.

Yeah, I'm going to do some similar stuff with blacksmithing soon. It's neat to go find some of the more hidden shops and see what exactly you can purchase from the store. You can make some surprisingly high level stuff with vendor-bought materials.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

precision posted:

I have a quest to give a dude a Durable Charm. No, it doesn't say "Good" or "Top" quality or anything. I happen to have two of them in my inventory, but I didn't actually MAKE either of them. Is he not taking it because I didn't make it myself? That's not how any of the other quests work. :confused:

if he's the guy from the palace guard then yes he wants a good quality

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
drat that "kill 30 bandits" quest was annoying since I could only get two of them to spawn at a time. :mad:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Where do you get Poison Powder? I've had a quest for ages to bring the shady dude Poison Powder and I haven't been able to find it anywhere and it's not on my Alchemy crafting list either. (Adept Alchemist.)

Also those Fir trees and Platinum ore on Mount Snowpeak continue to taunt me. Taunt me, I say!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Poison powder is dropped by the frogs in the grassy plains.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Silver Falcon posted:

Also those Fir trees and Platinum ore on Mount Snowpeak continue to taunt me. Taunt me, I say!

Don't feel bad about the firs and platinum; I was going nuts trying to harvest them on my character until I finally bit the bullet and went to Al Maajik, where I immediately gained an inordinate amount of levels and stars from gathering everything in sight. Then I went back to Mount Snowpeak and hoarded everything up like a greedy dragon in an unsupervised bank vault. Just go mine some gold and cut down some sugar trees and all your worries will melt away :buddy:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Mastered all 12 classes.

And apparently i have a backlog of like 28 quests to clear out.

Gonna have to get cracking on that I guess.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 4, 2014

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Do you guys just accept every quest you see, even if you haven't even started the class yet? Like the cooking ones - I haven't even started as a chef yet so I've just been holding off. I don't know why...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
At what point should I be able to take on the Silverfang? Even in my best Lives, at level 26 or so I barely scratch the fucker.

Shnooks posted:

Do you guys just accept every quest you see, even if you haven't even started the class yet? Like the cooking ones - I haven't even started as a chef yet so I've just been holding off. I don't know why...

I do, yeah. I've never capped out on quests although I've gotten up to like 25/30.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

guppy posted:

At what point should I be able to take on the Silverfang? Even in my best Lives, at level 26 or so I barely scratch the fucker.

I do, yeah. I've never capped out on quests although I've gotten up to like 25/30.

I was a 35 adept merc with a gold claymore and some savage armor. Slightly challenging still. Just cheese him and stay close to him and under his head to avoid the mouth and breath attacks. Make sure to complete it as a merc to take advantage of the challenge for him.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Freakishly high Strength cures all ills. Chop down sugar trees in a single blow with a lovely axe. Tear gold deposits from the ground with a single pick stroke. Beat everything to death with a big fuckoff sword. Be a huge mighty ogre and give no shits about anything.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I beat Silverfang at 32 with similar equipment. Don't be shy to use partners when fighting class specific bosses. There's little to no drawback.

The DLC sounds like a major grind. Should I buy it if my tolerance for min/maxing has dried up? I would be swayed if the island looks cool or has an awesome BGM.

Press down on the d-pad to sit down. You'll recover energy faster that way.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Ok thanks.

I just mastered my first Life, Hunter. "Hold down (A) to skip"? Why would I ever skip these

edit: jesus christ this is long. Okay, THIS is why.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 4, 2014

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

guppy posted:

Ok thanks.

I just mastered my first Life, Hunter. "Hold down (A) to skip"? Why would I ever skip these

edit: jesus christ this is long. Okay, THIS is why.

and they all have that longass interval where there are no lyrics and the camera pans slowly and creepily over the deadeyed staring plushtones

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Boy I'm underwhelmed by a lot of Master/Hero stuff. Got the Master for sewing and only unlocked "Now I can make fancy carpet." as my reward. Became a hero carpenter and oh boy I can make a window now. Thrilling.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm almost to Master Mercenary. I have only two quests left. They look to be a pain in the rear end. I don't remember running so low on quest options when I mastered Hunter; are there more secret quests I don't know about? Is there a list somewhere? I have the one for the Desert Tyrant from Cacto Cove.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, the boss guarding the Millennium Tree isn't loving around. And I still do 0 damage to the tree despite now being a Creator Woodcutter. Guess I need a better axe and/or I need to chop down more trees.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Boy I'm underwhelmed by a lot of Master/Hero stuff. Got the Master for sewing and only unlocked "Now I can make fancy carpet." as my reward. Became a hero carpenter and oh boy I can make a window now. Thrilling.

To be fair, you've been mostly been making furniture as a carpenter anyways, and tailoring always felt kind of underwhelming unless you really love dressing up your character. You get the bow and wand recipes from one of the carpenter NPC's I believe. Becoming demi-creator adds a bunch more recipes that's not just furniture.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

guppy posted:

I'm almost to Master Mercenary. I have only two quests left. They look to be a pain in the rear end. I don't remember running so low on quest options when I mastered Hunter; are there more secret quests I don't know about? Is there a list somewhere? I have the one for the Desert Tyrant from Cacto Cove.

Santos in Port Puerto might have some quests for you if you missed him, and Miguel has one quest for you in his house in Al Maajik. Sounds like you already picked up the quest from Cervantes's daughter on Cacto Cove. The bartender also has a quest, but I assumed you already picked it up since he's right there next to the master.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

try talking to the life-related npcs, they probably have some more for you.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Allarion posted:

To be fair, you've been mostly been making furniture as a carpenter anyways, and tailoring always felt kind of underwhelming unless you really love dressing up your character.

why the gently caress would you not

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Allarion posted:

To be fair, you've been mostly been making furniture as a carpenter anyways, and tailoring always felt kind of underwhelming unless you really love dressing up your character.

Fantasy Life is, like, 1/2 barbie dress up. You're playing the game wrong, man. :colbert:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Allarion posted:

Santos in Port Puerto might have some quests for you if you missed him, and Miguel has one quest for you in his house in Al Maajik. Sounds like you already picked up the quest from Cervantes's daughter on Cacto Cove. The bartender also has a quest, but I assumed you already picked it up since he's right there next to the master.

Great, thank you!

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
Reached God rank with most of the classes, and finally cleared the post-game dungeon, mostly due to abusing the gently caress out of invicibility frames. Hunter is now my favorite combat class - there's something magical about watching my character get a nuke to the face and just shrug it off due to being in the middle of an animation. :allears:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Finished the main story in 29 hours. Not sure how some of you are putting off the story content so far. Gotta chase down that new crafting material.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
So I've got four Lives to Master and the rest to Expert, except the three I haven't started yet. Mercenary needed me to kill the Behemoth and the Desert Tyrant to get 1200 stars, exactly the amount needed to rank up to Master. I'd done every other challenge, including the others given by Merc NPCs. Nothing else was available, so I had to face them. For comparison, I got to Master on Paladin without fighting the Napdragon.

Trouble was, both these bosses tore through my allies like paper while it took forever to damage them. I didn't feel like emulating a drawn-out WoW raid, so I ran from both. Then I made a set of Beastly armor, all with Defense or Defense+ stones, a new Gold Greatsword with Attack+, and a Beastly Necklace with Stun Resistance (less for the bosses and more for general monster-fighting).

I took Odin and Laura with me, same as my last attempts, because I heard they were good from this thread. We killed both bosses with only a couple ally revives, and now I'm a Master Mercenary. It's been 45 hours since I started. Maybe I should beat the game now.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

How Ingratiating! posted:

So I've got four Lives to Master and the rest to Expert, except the three I haven't started yet. Mercenary needed me to kill the Behemoth and the Desert Tyrant to get 1200 stars, exactly the amount needed to rank up to Master. I'd done every other challenge, including the others given by Merc NPCs. Nothing else was available, so I had to face them. For comparison, I got to Master on Paladin without fighting the Napdragon.

Trouble was, both these bosses tore through my allies like paper while it took forever to damage them. I didn't feel like emulating a drawn-out WoW raid, so I ran from both. Then I made a set of Beastly armor, all with Defense or Defense+ stones, a new Gold Greatsword with Attack+, and a Beastly Necklace with Stun Resistance (less for the bosses and more for general monster-fighting).

I took Odin and Laura with me, same as my last attempts, because I heard they were good from this thread. We killed both bosses with only a couple ally revives, and now I'm a Master Mercenary. It's been 45 hours since I started. Maybe I should beat the game now.

completing the story gets you some really drat good companions, so yeah, you might wanna do that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Laura's not that great stat-wise in the long run, but she's a pretty good starter companion. Odin will last you all the way to post-game though, only being beaten out by the companions that unlock in the post-game like the Queen who's a monster.

nutranurse posted:

Fantasy Life is, like, 1/2 barbie dress up. You're playing the game wrong, man. :colbert:

I know, I probably made bad life choices the moment I started slaughtering baby dragons for profit. :saddowns:

Allarion fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 5, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I found that Laura was immediately outclassed in stats by Olivia. Like, I think Olivia has something crazy like 30 more Attack and Defense than Laura in my game right now.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

is daemon any good? i heard that erik and olivia were beasts but what about the christmas twins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Nuella and Yullea (I think I have those right) are downright godlike.

Odin's pretty drat good too. I haven't tried Dameon yet.

• Locked thread