Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think everyone knew it could happen but really did not want it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
So basically, we have the reverse of Curse of Fatal Death where the Doctor shacks up with the Master. Got it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I loved Dr. Skarosa. It's such a brilliant subtle clue that it's all bullshit and they put it right in front of the Doctor and he didn't notice. I wonder if Missy will gloat about it next episode.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Nevvy Z posted:

I loved Dr. Skarosa. It's such a brilliant subtle clue that it's all bullshit and they put it right in front of the Doctor and he didn't notice. I wonder if Missy will gloat about it next episode.

I assume you actually mean you love the utter bullshit backstory Skarosa gives the doctor about white noise, because lmao at how great that is at being obvious bullshit that the doctor couldn't POSSIBLY have seen through as being SPECIFICALLY bullshit designed to set off his bullshit detector because The Master wanted to yank on his dick for a minute

Edit: Oh, the inclusion of "Skaro" in his name? Honestly I find that less obvious than the above.

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 2, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Skarosa was the dead guy. That was Doctor Chang.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Skarosa was the dead guy. That was Doctor Chang.

Oh RIGHT. God drat do I need to watch that again. And again and again. Also, frankly, I'd prefer the master not have to mask sexual subtext in heteronormativity, but oh well, Moffat I guess.

V yup. Moffat is a fucker and a piece of poo poo, if this is the thinking behind this (it likely is)

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 2, 2014

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In retrospect I can exactly see the thought process that led to this. When Matt Smith was leaving there was a lot of fan talk about the next Doctor being black or a woman. Moffat clearly thought "Well no, obviously not, but... the Master is also a Time Lord, maybe he could regenerate as a woman... and then we could take that sexual subtext between him and the Doctor and make it explicit! And it wouldn't be all icky and gay!"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Varance posted:

So basically, we have the reverse of Curse of Fatal Death where the Doctor shacks up with the Master. Got it.

Basically when Moffat wrote Fatal Death he thought (for obvious reasons) that it was going to be the only chance he'd ever get to write Doctor Who on TV, so he threw in everything he could think of. And he's been mining / building on those ideas ever since.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

2house2fly posted:

In retrospect I can exactly see the thought process that led to this. When Matt Smith was leaving there was a lot of fan talk about the next Doctor being black or a woman. Moffat clearly thought "Well no, obviously not, but... the Master is also a Time Lord, maybe he could regenerate as a woman... and then we could take that sexual subtext between him and the Doctor and make it explicit! And it wouldn't be all icky and gay!"

To be fair, the subtext has been there since Delgado. Not that I'm defending Moffat too much.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Man the absurdity of the premise was great, considering it's the Master.

Dr. Chang: He believed that the white noise were... voices from the dead!
Doctor: (confused) Why? Was he... an idiot?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Oh RIGHT. God drat do I need to watch that again. And again and again. Also, frankly, I'd prefer the master not have to mask sexual subtext in heteronormativity, but oh well, Moffat I guess.

V yup. Moffat is a fucker and a piece of poo poo, if this is the thinking behind this (it likely is)

Hahaha, thought crime now, is it? You guys are loving lunatics, you do know that right? There's enough things to be annoyed with him and take him to task over than to start making up hypotheticals which you can never hope to know the answer to.

I hope the next episode is so bad it literally gives Piror Marcus an aneurysm. It'd be Moffat's crowning achievement.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well, I liked the thematic ties to the spiritual chicanery practiced by Victorian charlatans. And the Doctor had some funny lines.

Everything else was dogshit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Skarosa was the dead guy.

Skarosa is also the cyberman in the office with Clara, if the nameplate is to be believed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sentinel Red posted:

I hope the next episode is so bad it literally gives Piror Marcus an aneurysm.

Whither Komrade Hitlerstalin??

[edit]

What an autocorrect (after a small typo)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hello Spoiler Thread. It's been awhile.

I've see you've redecorated.

I don't like it. :colbert:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Whither Komrade Hitlerstalin??

[edit]

What an autocorrect (after a small typo)

Well, Google, I didn't mean Karate Hitler Stalin, but please, do tell.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Trailer for "Death in Heaven" now online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFZaqsaJ4eE

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

So has the scene from the clip that almost 100% had her mouthing 'Rani for short' been aired? Because now I'm curious what she actually said that looked so similar.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think that was the scene where she said

"Missy. Short for Mistress. Well I couldn't keep calling myself The Master, now could I?"

E: It very well could have been a different take with slightly different wording. Or she said "Rani, for short" and then it "leaked" on the internet to troll people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Osgood's wearing a bowtie now.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Jsor posted:

I think that was the scene where she said

"Missy. Short for Mistress. Well I couldn't keep calling myself The Master, now could I?"

E: It very well could have been a different take with slightly different wording. Or she said "Rani, for short" and then it "leaked" on the internet to troll people.

Yeah, I believe the director said they deliberately made fake shots/scripts during filming to try to throw people off. Looks like it worked. I could see them easily doing 4 quick takes of that scene, each one replacing the line with "Rani, The Master, Romana, etc."

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

TinTower posted:

Trailer for "Death in Heaven" now online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFZaqsaJ4eE

There's a [cyber]man on the wing of the plane!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Early reviews are glowing for Death in Heaven. Also confirming there's no time-fuckery or "it was all a dream" resolution. And we find out who Seb is, which is apparently mind blowing.

I'm guessing he's also the Master.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Has moffat defeated the curse of the cybermen?!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Early reviews are glowing for Death in Heaven. Also confirming there's no time-fuckery or "it was all a dream" resolution. And we find out who Seb is, which is apparently mind blowing.

He's the Rani, obviously.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

He's bessie. Hisfirst name is Eis

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I wonder if Missy is a direct regeneration of the MacQueen Master. Considering Simmons and Jacob's Master didnt have a TARDIS and the Doctor and Master have met out of order before, it could work.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Emron posted:

He's the Rani, obviously.

This would be hilarious.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Early reviews are glowing for Death in Heaven.

Shame, I was hoping it would be good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
To be fair, reviews said ITFOTN was poo poo and it kinda was.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HD DAD posted:

To be fair, reviews said ITFOTN was poo poo and it kinda was.

We may be getting out of hand with the acronyms. Like, I looked it up, but I had forgotten In The Forest of the Night's title, so this was a tad confusing to me.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They're 1 for 10 then.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

HD DAD posted:

My money was on the Cyber (Sebber?) Controller, but that doesn't seem very mind blowing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Elrond Hubbard posted:

My money was on the Cyber (Sebber?) Controller, but that doesn't seem very mind blowing.

It makes the most sense, since Missy is working with the Cybermen and all. He would be the liaison of sorts.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Apparent final line in the finale:

"Race you to the finish line - next stop, home."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
From the Master to Who, Who to the Master, Clara to Pink, Jenny to Vastra...?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm hazarding a guess Doc to Master? That'd be a pretty sweet arc for next season - a race to find Gallifrey first.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
It'll be two coal hill school kids, but in a way that you think it might be setting that theme for next year. Then it will be completely ignored.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HD DAD posted:

I'm hazarding a guess Doc to Master? That'd be a pretty sweet arc for next season - a race to find Gallifrey first.

I'm betting Master to Doctor. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Astroman posted:

I'm betting Master to Doctor. :allears:

It'd be like Doctor Who Wackey Races. The Master could just rush off to the finish line, but instead at every step of the way he'll set up an elaberate scam for the doctor. Ahaha you thought this planet was messed up because they were left over ood living with reject sontarens, but actually it's me the Master setting up a trap whilst disguised as an ancient greek talking statue.

• Locked thread