Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I so want to find this forum, register, and make my first post "Paul McGann is canon."

If you really want to wind them up, just come in with this:

"Hey, really new to this forum, just started watching Doctor Who. How do you guys feel about Rose? Wasn't what happened to her so sad? Billie Piper is definitely one of my favorite performers, I hope she makes a return to the show some day."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
We shouldn't look to troll them, just have a bit of a cultural exchange. I propose sending MattDizzle.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

We shouldn't look to troll them, just have a bit of a cultural exchange. I propose sending MattDizzle.

There are only so many people he can post fantasies about physically assaulting per day. Might tire the poor guy out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

There are only so many people he can post fantasies about physically assaulting per day. Might tire the poor guy out.

I don't recall him doing that. Was that in a different thread?

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

Easy mode would be just going in and calling Eccleston "the First Doctor".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
"Guys, I just watched The Curse of Fatal Death - where can I find more of this doctor. I guess he's the first one, right?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

I don't recall him doing that. Was that in a different thread?

It was in this very thread. I can see how you'd be confused, with all the Doctor Who threads around. This one is the one with the evil, unwelcoming hivemind. We're obsessed with archaic puppet show reenactments of the 1970s and own tumblr celebrity.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bicyclops posted:

It was in this very thread. I can see how you'd be confused, with all the Doctor Who threads around. This one is the one with the evil, unwelcoming hivemind. We're obsessed with archaic puppet show reenactments of the 1970s and own tumblr celebrity.

Agreed

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Don't forget loud clothing and an outdated audio format!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

All the threads sort of blur together after a while. I'm familiar with his posts (about theatre being a dead medium and how a woman should never play the Doctor because of reasons) but I couldn't remember any specific example of him talking about how wanted to beat someone up over something that happened in Doctor Who.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Davros1 posted:

I've mentioned a forum I lurk at where the discuss/argue about the rumor of the missing episodes. The one thing they all seem in consensus is that EVERY single episode of Nu Who is the worst thing ever, isn't "real Who" and that EVERY episode of the classic series is the BEST THING EVER. Yes, even The Dominators.

Out of curiosity, I won't mention it by name but is this a forum with a mind-numbingly stupid "you have to use your IRL name" rule?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cliff Racer posted:

Out of curiosity, I won't mention it by name but is this a forum with a mind-numbingly stupid "you have to use your IRL name" rule?

Nope. They take forever to "verify" new accounts, have ridiculous ambitions to become BBC-official that they try to attain by being EXTREMELY strict about even the IDEA of :filez:, and are dreadful in a dozen other ways, but no. They don't demand real-name usage.

Oh, I thought you meant GallifreyBase.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

We're obsessed with archaic puppet show reenactments of the 1970s and own tumblr celebrity.

I would watch puppet show re-enactments of lost episodes.

:negative:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Shugojin posted:

Girl Doctor would be a terrible idea because the writers would be unable to just roll with it. There would be terribly awkward jokes about it shoehorned into the worst of places.

The world blowing up about it would be great and I have no objections to the concept, I just honestly don't trust writers to just write for a girl Doctor in the same way they would a male Doctor.
woman not girl surely

McGann posted:

I fail to see how "oh poo poo I shot my girlfriend lol thought she was a robber" (not a loaded caricature at all) really covers a soldier in wartime firing at perceived enemy combatants, even when he does so in a reckless manner?

Either that or we're both intercommunicating, either way you had me double checking what I posted originally, and double checking the scene.

I gotta argue about random points in a dumb Danny Pink storyline because I keep checking the thread to hear Dark Eyes 3 news ...
Pistorius shot through a closed door without knowing* who was on the other side or caring to find out.
Pink shot through a doorway…

*a lie; he knew; but just for the sake of argument

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Antti posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely expected them to emerge not into London, but from the Master's TARDIS, since I reasoned one place the Nethersphere could fit into easily would be a TARDIS.

Although that would have meant materializing into the Master's TARDIS with the Doctor's TARDIS and I have a recollection that that's established as being a Never Cross the Streams thing to do.

Edit: I looked this up and looks like I indeed need to watch Logopolis :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahl3R2a2wuY

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McGann posted:

I gotta argue about random points in a dumb Danny Pink storyline because I keep checking the thread to hear Dark Eyes 3 news ...

It ain't coming out until at least Sunday, I'd bet. The end of this series is the obvious time to launch it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DoctorWhat posted:

Nope. They take forever to "verify" new accounts, have ridiculous ambitions to become BBC-official that they try to attain by being EXTREMELY strict about even the IDEA of :filez:, and are dreadful in a dozen other ways, but no. They don't demand real-name usage.

Oh, I thought you meant GallifreyBase.

Leaked episodes? There were no leaked episodes. And if you even mention the possibility, we'll ban you. Oh, and you can't call out other posters by their username for some reason.

I'm still on there as much as SA, for some godawful reason.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
While we are on the topic, are there any good non-official (as in not BBC affiliated) news sites out there. I seem to remember looking at one pretty often but I can't find it now and haven't seen anything else that was any good.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

CobiWann posted:

I so want to find this forum, register, and make my first post "Paul McGann is canon."

Peter Cushing 4LYF!

Actually, I'd love to see the retconning to get that to work.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Don't forget loud clothing and an outdated audio format!

Speaking of, I've about 3/4ths of the way through The Nowhere Place. I think I'm finally starting to detect the revival's influence on Big Finish, which is not a bad or a good thing, just a thing. I think how I feel about this story overall will hinge on the ending, but so far it's been good, if a bit padded in places.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Was that...a chicken?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So what steps do WE have to take to get this thread to become the “official” BBC thread for Who? :smuggo:

And I can’t wait for the finale…in part because I can finally dive back into the audios. And no matter how upset Death in Heaven might make me, at least I can take comfort in being able to scream “drat it, Adric!”

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Antti posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely expected them to emerge not into London, but from the Master's TARDIS, since I reasoned one place the Nethersphere could fit into easily would be a TARDIS.

Although that would have meant materializing into the Master's TARDIS with the Doctor's TARDIS and I have a recollection that that's established as being a Never Cross the Streams thing to do.

Edit: I looked this up and looks like I indeed need to watch Logopolis :v:
Maybe the Mistress materialised her TARDIS around St Paul's Cathedral...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Master doesn't actually have her own time machine, she's just been hiding in The TARDIS the whole time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Master doesn't actually have her own time machine, she's just been hiding in The TARDIS the whole time.

"Y'know, I'd been meaning to tidy the Cloister for a century or two, suppose this serves me right."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I sort of had the impression that her TARDIS was just inside St. Paul's, with the front doors opening to the inside of the TARDIS - hence why the internal space with the Cybermen and the lab and whatnot didn't look like they should be the inside of the cathedral.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

HD DAD posted:

Leaked episodes? There were no leaked episodes. And if you even mention the possibility, we'll ban you. Oh, and you can't call out other posters by their username for some reason.

I'm still on there as much as SA, for some godawful reason.

Don't forget that they have a rule against "name-calling" that extends to not being able to call HITLER an rear end in a top hat.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

Don't forget that they have a rule against "name-calling" that extends to not being able to call HITLER an rear end in a top hat.

This forum sounds like an amazing resource for autism research.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

So what steps do WE have to take to get this thread to become the “official” BBC thread for Who? :smuggo:

We have to all agree on one thing relating to Doctor Who.

That's it. We just all have to agree on one thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

We have to all agree on one thing relating to Doctor Who.

That's it. We just all have to agree on one thing.

We'll just go for something easy and completely uncontroversial, like "favorite episode" or "is the writing in [episode] sexist?" or "what is the Doctor's exact age?"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm honestly curious to see if this thread can find a single thing to agree on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"A man named Peter Capaldi currently portrays the Doctor."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DoctorWhat posted:

Reminds me of the time that a TV Tropes mod said that calling North Korea tyrannical was mean.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Unless he's actually The Master all along and Clara is the real 12th Doctor. :supaburn:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Timby posted:

Since this season is clearly non-canonical, he's not really portraying the Doctor :smaug:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"The doctor's real name should never be revealed to the audience"

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I tried and ended up arguing with myself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"Doctor Who fans disagree about Doctor Who."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Metal Loaf posted:

"Doctor Who fans disagree about Doctor Who."

But people keep saying that the thread has a hivemind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Acne Rain posted:

"The doctor's real name should never be revealed to the audience"

I legitimately do not particularly care if they do this, especially since future writers can essentially just ignore it if they call him, say, Theta Sigma. How often do they bring up his half-human side, you know?

It also matter extraordinarily little.

• Locked thread