Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Chas McGill posted:

Weird how slow Sony has been to send these out. I pre-ordered mine from a third party and it arrived the day after release.

That's why they lose billions of dollars every quarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Any way to peel back the layer of 'Google Play Services' under battery usage? For some strange reason today it's sucking up more battery than my screen and that's unusual for sure.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

:siren: My z3c is preparing for shipment :siren:

Hey your order tracking posts aren't precise enough for me, could you just post the tracking number so I can :f5: it and know exactly where your phone is? That would really allow me to relax. TIA.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

the littlest prince posted:

Hey your order tracking posts aren't precise enough for me, could you just post the tracking number so I can :f5: it and know exactly where your phone is? That would really allow me to relax. TIA.

No.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

the littlest prince posted:

Android Phones: Passive Aggressive Phone Discussion

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

We've always said no shipping updates in gadget threads, because...

Well I'm not going to tell you why because, if you don't know, it's humorous to me to imagine your bewilderment.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I would like to see Tim Cook and Larry Page kiss. This has not happened yet.

edit: I wish Google let me so more diverse battery stats without rooting. My Droid Turbo idled great the first night but now I don't know what the gently caress.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 4, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

FordPRefectLL posted:

I would like to see Tim Cook and Larry Page kiss. This has not happened yet.

I'm sure it's on fanfiction.net somewhere.

Does anyone know if Lollipop will drop today for the N4? My husband said he hasn't been able to find this information anywhere.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

Android Phones: My Nexus is Bigger Than My Dick

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

the kawaiiest posted:

Does anyone know if Lollipop will drop today for the N4? My husband said he hasn't been able to find this information anywhere.
Devices with cellular radios get the update later this month.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Loucks posted:

All I know is that I'm on the move all the damned time and having a smartphone has made it possible not to have to drag out/along a notebook and find time and space to use it. Recent updates have made accomplishing basic tasks inconvenient and unintuitive. I've had smartphones since the HTC Tytan was a thing and this is the first time since then that I've felt the device was actively working against me.

Please come back and update us on why you can't use google music and pin things you want offline. Please tell us why you are doomed to being a person fumbling around in an informercial in black and white shouting "There's gotta be a better way!!" while ignoring the better way.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Explains why everyone says they can't fit it in their pants :smugdroid:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

butt dickus posted:

Devices with cellular radios get the update later this month.

I'm pretty sure this is a rumor since, if it did do an OTA for Nexus 7/10 yesterday, then no one in the entire world got it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

TraderStav posted:

Any way to peel back the layer of 'Google Play Services' under battery usage? For some strange reason today it's sucking up more battery than my screen and that's unusual for sure.
You could try turning off location services for a bit and see if that fixes it. NLP is probably the most common wakelock from play services. Otherwise you can root and use better battery stats to find out what it is.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Otherwise you can root and use better battery stats to find out what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_off_the_nose_to_spite_the_face

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

You could try turning off location services for a bit and see if that fixes it. NLP is probably the most common wakelock from play services. Otherwise you can root and use better battery stats to find out what it is.

I've turned off location services in the past but it seems that all of my apps start complaining and not working as desired. Am I missing something regarding this that makes my apps continue to function as normal while reducing that or is it a tradeoff that you are forced to make to get that battery life better?

Also, on another note. Is there any good write ups out there on how to interpret that battery usage graph? I'm interested to see what the various colors on Mobile network signal represent as well as what 'good' should look like with the other variables. For instance, my Wi-fi line is solid through the whole cycle, is that a concern or no? I understand Awake/Screen on and have used that to track down apps that have misbehaved (google fit I'm looking right at you) so it'd be good to get some knowledge to troubleshoot. If my signal strength is poor in my office and that's driving battery drain, then that's out of my control and I can stop investigating.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I've turned off location services in the past but it seems that all of my apps start complaining and not working as desired. Am I missing something regarding this that makes my apps continue to function as normal while reducing that or is it a tradeoff that you are forced to make to get that battery life better?

Also, on another note. Is there any good write ups out there on how to interpret that battery usage graph? I'm interested to see what the various colors on Mobile network signal represent as well as what 'good' should look like with the other variables. For instance, my Wi-fi line is solid through the whole cycle, is that a concern or no? I understand Awake/Screen on and have used that to track down apps that have misbehaved (google fit I'm looking right at you) so it'd be good to get some knowledge to troubleshoot. If my signal strength is poor in my office and that's driving battery drain, then that's out of my control and I can stop investigating.

The WiFi bar just means WiFi's on. There's also an option related to location settings somewhere that makes your phone use wifi for location services even when wifi's off.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Has anyone who was able to get a nexus 6 order from the play store had any updates on their order status?
Just curious. Getting antsy waiting for sprint to make it available on their store.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wikipedia posted:

"Cutting off the nose to spite the face" is an expression used to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem

Um?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Those clowns at BGR said it might be shipping earlier based on a screenshot of a Google Play support chat, but they are usually wrong on everything.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

He means that rooting your phone is dumb. especially if your only reason is for a battery statistics program.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Bob A Feet posted:

He means that rooting your phone is dumb. especially if your only reason is for a battery statistics program.

I don't get why people are against rooting their phones? Adaway is the number one reason to root your phone. Plus other apps that require root for whatever reason. Rooting doesn't mean installing some shittastic rom.

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

r0ck0 posted:

I don't get why people are against rooting their phones? Adaway is the number one reason to root your phone. Plus other apps that require root for whatever reason. Rooting doesn't mean installing some shittastic rom.

But it does mean compromising the security model on your device and it will likely become even less useful in lollipop with selinux enabled.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

But it does mean compromising the security model on your device and it will likely become even less useful in lollipop with selinux enabled.

Root binaries secure permissions and not everyone is using their personal phone for their FBI job.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

PerrineClostermann posted:

Root binaries secure permissions and not everyone is using their personal phone for their FBI job.

Yep, just like UAC on your desktop, running as root on your computer right now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

r0ck0 posted:

If ads keep apps and websites that I use free, I'm happy to scroll past ads :shrug: IMO, backup and restore is the real thing you can advocate root for that an average person could really use, but on a non-Nexus I still don't think that is usually worth the hassle.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Rooting is one of those things you can do, but it doesn't mean it's OK for everyone to do just because it's possible

Maybe there's some cross-over between the people who assume every Android release is just Gingerbread but with a different skin (gotta root and install those theme packs and battery savers!), and those who assume operating systems haven't moved on since Windows 98 (turn off UAC, install Rainmeter, tweak pagefile and disable services you don't recognise, set to defrag every night at 3AM)?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

spincube posted:

Rooting is one of those things you can do, but it doesn't mean it's OK for everyone to do just because it's possible

Maybe there's some cross-over between the people who assume every Android release is just Gingerbread but with a different skin (gotta root and install those theme packs and battery savers!), and those who assume operating systems haven't moved on since Windows 98 (turn off UAC, install Rainmeter, tweak pagefile and disable services you don't recognise, set to defrag every night at 3AM)?

Oh ok, how about the freedom :911: argument? Its my phone and I'll be damned if I don't have full access to every single part of it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm sure it's on fanfiction.net somewhere.

:iiam:

No one is really sure yet. There were rumors for a while that it would happen yesterday but that's come and gone now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

I do believe rooting a Z3C kills your camera, thus offering a tradeoff. I'll keep a good camera and sort out the battery issue.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

If ads keep apps and websites that I use free, I'm happy to scroll past ads :shrug: IMO, backup and restore is the real thing you can advocate root for that an average person could really use, but on a non-Nexus I still don't think that is usually worth the hassle.

When websites stop using mobile ads that take longer to load than the page itself, sometimes rendering it unresponsive, then I'll be happy to keep them on.

Also what's with the tiny X's.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

IMO, backup and restore is the real thing you can advocate root for that an average person could really use, but on a non-Nexus I still don't think that is usually worth the hassle.

With the changes in Lollipop, is it really needed even for that anymore? I obviously haven't tested it myself, but I've read stuff about restoring being much much improved.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

datajosh posted:

:iiam:

No one is really sure yet. There were rumors for a while that it would happen yesterday but that's come and gone now.
Ah okay, thanks. He had heard that it would be out yesterday so he was confused that he wasn't seeing the update and worried that the N4 wouldn't get it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

TraderStav posted:

I do believe rooting a Z3C kills your camera, thus offering a tradeoff. I'll keep a good camera and sort out the battery issue.
Not quite, the DRM for the camera is related to the bootloader. So if you just root and don't unlock/replace the bootloader you'd be fine. Source

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There has been zero zip zilch reputable info about when the updates to any devices would be coming out.

Source got pushed yesterday, that is all.

Only devices running a final build of Lollipop that the general public has access to are Nexus 9s.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For the last maybe month or so, the Google Now voice search on my Nexus 4 will periodically seem to activate itself. Before today, I'd only noticed it while in the car (connected to the car over Bluetooth), but just now it was sitting on my music stand while I was warming up and it got triggered. I don't have the always-listening enabled in any fashion. Any ideas why it might be doing this?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

spincube posted:

You shut up Rainmaker is awesome and useful and pretty and lets me have a special snowflake desktop. :argh:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Interesting. I checked my location settings to GPS only and an hour later (and 25% more drain!) NBC sports live app is my top battery usage with 1.5 hours of GPS usage. I haven't used the app in a long while except to maybe set it up with my login when I got the phone.

Wonder if it was hiding in Google play services before I changed the setting. Either way I force stopped it and sent a report.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Does the Tylt Vu ever go on sale? Alternatively, is there a similar (/knockoff) model that's not $60 drat dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

XIII posted:

Does the Tylt Vu ever go on sale?

It was half off last black Friday weekend.

• Locked thread