Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A home inspection is always required by the bank. Everyone involved should know that it's a VA loan, so they'll check off the appropriate items as they go. If your realtor hasn't scheduled one (maybe working through the seller's) then she will. It's a standard part of the process...no bank is going to throw down many tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on real estate that could be completely worthless, like a former meth lab or horrendously water damaged, or a ticking time bomb of Groverhaus work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Also if you tell your Realtor that you have a VA Home Loan and their eyes don't light up then you may want to find a new Realtor.

From what I've seen they loving love them, as they find the VA easier to work with than a bunch of banks (scary, I know)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Um. Yeah. The VA doesn't actually loan poo poo. You have to get a loan through a bank, just like normal. The difference is that instead of throwing down $10-30,000 on a down payment, the VA says "Yeah, we'll pick that up if he flakes." Basically it makes you less of a risk to the bank, saves you mad cash out of pocket, and their guarantee is probably worth more than you could possibly have saved up for a normal down payment.

You still need a normal bank, though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Godholio posted:

Um. Yeah. The VA doesn't actually loan poo poo. You have to get a loan through a bank, just like normal. The difference is that instead of throwing down $10-30,000 on a down payment, the VA says "Yeah, we'll pick that up if he flakes." Basically it makes you less of a risk to the bank, saves you mad cash out of pocket, and their guarantee is probably worth more than you could possibly have saved up for a normal down payment.

You still need a normal bank, though.

Obviously, it's just supposedly a lot easier for them to work with, and you're a lot more likely to buy a house with one than just farting around looking at houses.

My wife used to be a realtor and said that the VA answered inquiries and poo poo pretty quickly, and it wasn't often that they were left waiting on the VA- it was almost always the lawyers or the bank.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
I finally gave in and made an appointment with the VA to get a primary care doc and see if I qualify for ptsd disability. I've been reluctant to apply because I don't feel I deserve it but on the other hand being a broke, un-dateable, degenerate alcoholic with rage issues is starting to get boring.

Any advice?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Be honest. Tell them exactly what's going on, gritty details and all. If you're ashamed to tell them something, it's a pretty good bet that it's something you need to tell them.

For my visit with the psych, I brought my wife, which makes things way easier if you have a mush brain like me. So if you live with someone else, or you've got someone like a family member that you hang out with a lot, bring them along. They'll give information that you probably wouldn't think of, and the psych will ask more pointed questions because of it. Or if your pride gets in the way of admitting something, there's nothing like a family member to narc you out.

If you don't have someone that can come along, or if you are still unsure of what is important and what's not, look up

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=3dddce84474966674a408fb61db5af5e&node=38:1.0.1.1.5&rgn=div5#se38.1.4_1129

I think PTSD is rated under neurological disorders. Yeah, it's the VA rating system, which will help you if you are looking for disability compensation (which you should), but if you've got some problems listed in that table it means that you should mention it to your psych so you can get treated properly.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
I'm really more interested in getting treatment than I am in getting compensation. Don't get me wrong, it would certainly help, but I'd rather be able to move on with my life than collect free money.

Thanks for the link and your input.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
Recently down/upgraded to 100% VA disabled, is there anything about this that changes anything other than more sweet government cheese, assuming I don't have need for special housing modifications? Already have GI Bill and am going to school, not employed (lol).

Alas Boobylon fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 17, 2014

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Alas Boobylon posted:

Recently down/upgraded to 100% VA disabled, is there anything about this that changes anything other than more sweet government cheese, assuming I don't have need for special housing modifications? Already have GI Bill and am going to school, not employed (lol).

Depending on what state your in there are sometimes incentives, such as reduced or no property taxes, for being 100% disabled. Note, that the VA and some states distinguish between 100% disabled and 100% permanent and totally disabled. If your 100% P/T then you're pretty much set.

Edit: They have some state benefits listed on ebenefits, but it isn't a complete list so you should still try to search for resources specific to your state.
https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal?_nfpb=true&_nfxr=false&_pageLabel=BenefitsByState

Delizin fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 17, 2014

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

Delizin posted:

Depending on what state your in there are sometimes incentives, such as reduced or no property taxes, for being 100% disabled. Note, that the VA and some states distinguish between 100% disabled and 100% permanent and totally disabled. If your 100% P/T then you're pretty much set.

Edit: They have some state benefits listed on ebenefits, but it isn't a complete list so you should still try to search for resources specific to your state.
https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal?_nfpb=true&_nfxr=false&_pageLabel=BenefitsByState

oh sweet reduced property taxes my life is one long psychedelic gravy train punctuated by terrifying outbursts of violence :toot:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Alas Boobylon posted:

oh sweet reduced property taxes my life is one long psychedelic gravy train punctuated by terrifying outbursts of violence :toot:

In my city you can park wherever the gently caress you want and are immune to being towed for street sweeping/plowing if you're 100%. Honestly that'd reduce my violent outbursts by quite a bit.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Alas Boobylon posted:

Is your username a Pat Frank reference, and are you trolling my life?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If I may qualify for TAMP (TA180 - the 6 months of tri-care after EAS) should I still go ahead and get my enrollment process started with the VA? Can I do that on terminal or do I have to wait until my official EAS?

There's a DAV (Disabled American Veterans) office in San Diego I was told about that apparently not many know about. I guess they assign a lawyer to your case/claims free of charge.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 21, 2014

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Christoff posted:

If I may qualify for TAMP (TA180 - the 6 months of tri-care after EAS) should I still go ahead and get my enrollment process started with the VA? Can I do that on terminal or do I have to wait until my official EAS?

There's a DAV (Disabled American Veterans) office in San Diego I was told about that apparently not many know about. I guess they assign a lawyer to your case/claims free of charge.

Definitely apply for VA too. It doesn't hurt to have coverage at both. You will need your DD214 to enroll iirc.

DAV is pretty good. I've never seen them have actual lawyers, instead it a veteran service officer that tends be a vet as well and they know their stuff pretty well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh ok I just wasn't sure if having tri-care would prevent me from VA benefits like it does now while I'm technically active duty.

This is the information I got about applying

quote:

VA Enrollment: https://www.1010ez.med.va.gov/ - complete and present to the nearest VA Medical Center or Outpatient Clinic, along with a copy of your DD214, a photo ID, your medical and mental health records (if you have them) and an estimate of how much you earned over the last year.

Also need to get that 5 year HFP/IDP coverage rolling

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I'm not sure if this is the right thread so I'll move it if I'm wrong but I have an immunization question. I need to get shots for school but I'm not sure what ones I already got in the Army. My shot records were lost in a car wreck and I guess I need to petition to get them again somehow?

I need:
MMR
Hep B
TDap
Varicella
Meningitis

Would we have gotten any of these in the military or is it too case dependent to tell?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Time posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread so I'll move it if I'm wrong but I have an immunization question. I need to get shots for school but I'm not sure what ones I already got in the Army. My shot records were lost in a car wreck and I guess I need to petition to get them again somehow?

I need:
MMR
Hep B
TDap
Varicella
Meningitis

Would we have gotten any of these in the military or is it too case dependent to tell?

You should have gotten most of them, though you might be due for boosters if you've been out for awhile. The only one I don't remember getting was one for Meningitis and I'm not sure if tdap is standard, but it does need a booster. A primary care doc should be able to do a blood test to determine which vaccines you need. That will probably be way easier than trying to get a hold of your medical records.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Delizin posted:

You should have gotten most of them, though you might be due for boosters if you've been out for awhile. The only one I don't remember getting was one for Meningitis and I'm not sure if tdap is standard, but it does need a booster. A primary care doc should be able to do a blood test to determine which vaccines you need. That will probably be way easier than trying to get a hold of your medical records.

The blood tests take too long I need to register for spring classes soon. Thank you so much though for all the other info!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Time posted:

The blood tests take too long I need to register for spring classes soon. Thank you so much though for all the other info!

Alot of colleges allow you to file a form stating that you don't have records stating you have been immunized but that in the event of an outbreak on campus you will remain away from the university.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Time posted:

I need:
MMR
Hep B
TDap
Varicella
Meningitis

Do you have VA healthcare? You can just go get your shot record from them if so. As much of a pain as they have been to me, they've been pretty prompt in getting needed paperwork to me when I show up at the clinic. Worst case I've had was to wait two days for them to mail it to me.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Time posted:

I need:
MMR
Hep B
TDap
Varicella
Meningitis

I am not sure if this is the right answer in your specific case but Ebenefits has a scanned copy of your whole personnel file that you can access online and for free. My military shot records were on there I remember, as well as the rest of the sordid story..

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
You guys all rule! Thanks you I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm not sure who is a bigger pain in the rear end to deal with, the VA or my school.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Tautologicus posted:

I am not sure if this is the right answer in your specific case but Ebenefits has a scanned copy of your whole personnel file that you can access online and for free. My military shot records were on there I remember, as well as the rest of the sordid story..

Just wish that site worked at least half the time. Yeah yeah "welcome to the VA" etc

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Christoff posted:

Just wish that site worked at least half the time. Yeah yeah "welcome to the VA" etc

Usually works for me, they just do maintenance on the weekends. I think it's pretty well done overall.

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
Can the VA lower or take away your disability rating if on your letter you recieved from VA says "incurred static" regarding your disability?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

dennis4167 posted:

Can the VA lower or take away your disability rating if on your letter you recieved from VA says "incurred static" regarding your disability?

I googled that term and it just means you incurred a static injury, like an injury that is permanent.

You didn't think it meant "we caught attitude from the applicant" right?

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
Hah, no I did not think I projected any 'attitude' toward the Doctor during the hour long C&P evaluation. I am questioning because I applied for 100% TDIU (I currently have a 70% rating) and presume I will have to go to another C&P evaluation for that.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Your much more likely to qualify for 100% due to unemployability than not if your disabilities were noted to be permeant and not ever getting better. There are lots of people who are rated 100% but not 100% Permanent and Total because one of their laundry list items is PTSD. PTSD isn't considered to be permanent by the VA until it's been a problem for a long goddamn documentedly bad time.. So ironically getting PTSD recognized in dudes with serious physical or neurological disabilities also screwed because they gotta wait 3 to 20 years to be considered permanent and totally disabled, despite being rated 100% the whole time.

That's easy five figure tax losses in the wrong neighborhoods where I live.

Also tying up property tax code with veteran disability benefits and ratings then making a chesckers game out of the whole mess.

Oh well, 6FYGM9 always gets rockstar parking.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

dennis4167 posted:

Yes. VA is allowed to evaluate disabilities based upon the actual severity of the disability unless it's been evaluated that way for 20+ years. So let's say for example you managed to get a 40% evaluation for your back condition when you got out last year and they determined it was static, but you think your back hurts more and now you want more compensation. Your new examination shows only a 20 percent evaluation is warranted. Well, now VA is allowed to reduce your evaluation based on that information.

The only thing a "static" decision does is say that VA is not going to call you back in in five years to see if your condition got better. It doesn't mean they can't touch it, just that they won't touch it until you ask them to.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The disability claim I filed in January has unexpectedly gone from "collecting evidence" to "preparation of notification," presumably because I got a VSO to work on it.

Though I am concerned that the VA has made a decision regarding my shoulder without scheduling me for a C&P.

I'm completely expecting them to grant me a 0% rating, forcing me into appeals hell.

But I'm not going to yell too loudly for now, on the outside chance they gave me an actual rating.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Welp, I was wrong. I didn't get 0%.

They told me that my shoulder injury is unrelated to my service.

Moral of the story, kids: Get every single last thing documented. That stiff shoulder you think will go away? It might not and might get worse.

Welcome to appeals hell, I guess.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

McNally posted:

Welp, I was wrong. I didn't get 0%.

They told me that my shoulder injury is unrelated to my service.

Moral of the story, kids: Get every single last thing documented. That stiff shoulder you think will go away? It might not and might get worse.

Welcome to appeals hell, I guess.

Out of interest, why did they deny you?

The main reasons I see disabilities denied is either 1: they weren't seen for it in service, or 2: there's no evidence that it's related to service. If it's the first, VA recognizes that that you're not going to the BAS everytime you get an owie. If you mentioned it to anyone while you were in or saw a doctor off base, that would usually be enough to get over that hurdle. if it's the second and you were seen during service, but maybe you don't like going to the doctor, first write a quick statement about your injury and your current symptoms something like "I fell off my jungle gym and hurt my shoulder while I was in army. My shoulder still hurts, but I'm afraid of doctors." Or alternatively you can have your current doctor write a quick letter indicating that your current disability is related to an event in service, something like "Mr. McNally hurt his shoulder while bowling in 20XX. I believe his current acromioclavicular joint osteoarthritis is related to this injury."

No denial is insurmountable if you have a legitimate claim, it's usually just a matter of doing some leg work to get the evidence together.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

cult_hero posted:

Out of interest, why did they deny you?

The main reasons I see disabilities denied is either 1: they weren't seen for it in service, or 2: there's no evidence that it's related to service. If it's the first, VA recognizes that that you're not going to the BAS everytime you get an owie. If you mentioned it to anyone while you were in or saw a doctor off base, that would usually be enough to get over that hurdle. if it's the second and you were seen during service, but maybe you don't like going to the doctor, first write a quick statement about your injury and your current symptoms something like "I fell off my jungle gym and hurt my shoulder while I was in army. My shoulder still hurts, but I'm afraid of doctors." Or alternatively you can have your current doctor write a quick letter indicating that your current disability is related to an event in service, something like "Mr. McNally hurt his shoulder while bowling in 20XX. I believe his current acromioclavicular joint osteoarthritis is related to this injury."

No denial is insurmountable if you have a legitimate claim, it's usually just a matter of doing some leg work to get the evidence together.

It's the first one. I'm going to start asking buddies who were with me to write letters saying "yeah, I remember him bitching about his drat shoulder."

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Hey, I just got a bunch of Veteran's Choice Act stuff in the mail, but I was never informed if I got VA healthcare benefits in the first place. I filled out and submitted the 10-10 EZ or whatever it's called last spring, but haven't heard back since then. How do I go about figuring out if I have VA healthcare? Sorry if this is an easy answer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Did you ever receive HFP or IDF pay? A "combat zone." Even going to CENTCOM on a ship or say, Djibouti Africa counts. Well that gets you 5 years

Otherwise it's not 100% clear. It seems if you're poor you get it. Plus any issues that you were being treated for or claimed while you were in. In the end it seems at least everyone has benefits for a bit when they get out.

don't quote me on any of this

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
They pegged me at 70%, and they're paying me C&P in kind. They just never sent me a letter saying, "congrats, healthcare," after I sent in the paperwork, and I can't find a way to see if I have it on ebenefits.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well poo poo if you're getting 70% isn't that pretty much guaranteed free health care?

Yeah the eligibility is weird.

I'd find your nearest VA center or clinic and go to the enrollment office and fill out the forms there along with your dd214. If there's no med center near you the clinics also have the paperwork and will courier it to the nearest medical center but it takes longer and you risk it getting lost. If you do this at the medical center you should be in the system automatically. They'll schedule you to get your labs drawn and see a Doc before you get assigned a PCM. During that process you'll talk to the enrollment people and they can probably give you an exact answer.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Christoff posted:

Did you ever receive HFP or IDF pay? A "combat zone." Even going to CENTCOM on a ship or say, Djibouti Africa counts. Well that gets you 5 years

Otherwise it's not 100% clear. It seems if you're poor you get it. Plus any issues that you were being treated for or claimed while you were in. In the end it seems at least everyone has benefits for a bit when they get out.

don't quote me on any of this

There is some sort of weird Tier system they go by that I never even began to try to understand

Unless it has changed in the last few years (probably(lol))

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

justice4trayvawn posted:

There is some sort of weird Tier system they go by that I never even began to try to understand

Unless it has changed in the last few years (probably(lol))

Over 30% means full healthcare with copays and prescription copays, something like 70% is full ride medical. Additionally if you are poor you get a higher priority rating. at 70% I would imagine you have completely free healthcare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Over 30% means full healthcare with copays and prescription copays, something like 70% is full ride medical. Additionally if you are poor you get a higher priority rating. at 70% I would imagine you have completely free healthcare

50% is free medical :getin:

• Locked thread