Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seychelles82
Nov 4, 2014

Postal Parcel posted:

ahem, can I make a guess?

I think the biggest issue for a lot of people isn't the shipping, it's that some of the main characters (Jenny and Irving) are getting sidelined this season while the bajillion characters they added are getting more air time and Abbie is in danger of being relegated to sidekick with the 'help Crane rescue Katrina' shtick. Instead of natural progression it feels a little like bait and switch.

At least that's my issue with it anyway. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007

Koalas March posted:

...they dog on Katrina because she is useless...

Oh please. They dog on her because her mutually loving marriage to Pretty Person A is preventing him from hooking up with Pretty Person B, who has no romantic interest in him so far. That's the main, most important and least rational reason, and to them any legitimate criticism of the character and the writing involving her...

Seychelles82 posted:

I think the biggest issue for a lot of people isn't the shipping, it's that some of the main characters (Jenny and Irving) are getting sidelined this season while the bajillion characters they added are getting more air time and Abbie is in danger of being relegated to sidekick with the 'help Crane rescue Katrina' shtick. Instead of natural progression it feels a little like bait and switch.

...like this is just a way to back up that toxic opinion.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's like, do we really need Hawley in every episode when what he brings to the show is really weird and kinda doesn't fit the mood of it? It really feels like he's somebody's pet character and I always hate that.

It's not that I don't like him, it's just that I'm sick of him already.

Edit: This is not to say I'm not enjoying the new season. I am enjoying it quite a bit. It's just doing a couple things that annoy me.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 4, 2014

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Mumbly posted:

So, against my better judgement, I just browsed the Tumblr tag for this show. They're all pissed off and declaring this the worst episode ever. You can guess why. I want to think it's hilarious, but this kind of shipping bullshit is what makes certain fandoms so toxic that you can't even talk about these shows outside of a few safe areas. Either you'll run into crazy people or be assumed to be one of the crazy people. I really like this show, but I'm nervous about it turning into Supernatural fandom-wise.

Anyway, I hope Katrina will participate in the "person in the past reacts to the future jokes". Maybe Ichabod can explain things to her slightly wrong.

This is the description of the new episode in the local paper today: "Sleepy Hollow, 9 p.m., Fox It's time to rescue Katrina ... again. Sadly, it's no shocker that last year's surprise hit is plunging in the ratings. Memo to writers: It's because us Sleepyheads and Shippers just want the focus to be on Crane and Abbie!"

Romantic relationships are the least interesting part of this show to me. I'd much rather them focus on any other aspect. Plus I really like the platonic relationship Ichabod and Abbie have.

Seychelles82
Nov 4, 2014

Mumbly posted:

Oh please. They dog on her because her mutually loving marriage to Pretty Person A is preventing him from hooking up with Pretty Person B, who has no romantic interest in him so far. That's the main, most important and least rational reason, and to them any legitimate criticism of the character and the writing involving her...

...like this is just a way to back up that toxic opinion.

Wait - wut? How is my argument backing up shippers? I'm not a shipper at all, I basically binge-watched S1, and the difference between S1 and S2 is night and day. Hawley is TOTALLY unnecessary, shoehorned in and it feels like he's taking Jenny's place. Not even sure what's gonna happen with that Irving storyline, it seems so uninteresting.

Another issue I have is that all the concentrated evil in the show has been diluted. Abraham is no longer a badass sporting an axe and gun but a jilted lover and Henry is basically a teenager with Daddy issues. There needs to be more epic poo poo happening, but it seems to be turning into a soap opera.

ETA - it also appears that I can't loving use quotes correctly.

Seychelles82 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 4, 2014

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007

Seychelles82 posted:

Wait - wut? How is my argument backing up shippers? I'm not a shipper at all, I basically binge-watched S1, and the difference between S1 and S2 is night and day. Hawley is TOTALLY unnecessary, shoehorned in and it feels like he's taking Jenny's place. Not even sure what's gonna happen with that Irving storyline, it seems so uninteresting.

Oh I wasn't accusing you of being a shipper, or insulting you in any way. I was using your post as an example of the kind of legitimate criticism with the show that gets co-opted by shipping bullshit. Sorry for the confusion.

I like the platonic relationship too. Hopefully the writers will stick to their guns. If I wanted to watch three characters and the plot get derailed to please the worst parts of the fandom, I'd rewatch the first season of Korra.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

flynt posted:

This is the description of the new episode in the local paper today: "Sleepy Hollow, 9 p.m., Fox It's time to rescue Katrina ... again. Sadly, it's no shocker that last year's surprise hit is plunging in the ratings. Memo to writers: It's because us Sleepyheads and Shippers just want the focus to be on Crane and Abbie!"

Romantic relationships are the least interesting part of this show to me. I'd much rather them focus on any other aspect. Plus I really like the platonic relationship Ichabod and Abbie have.

oh my god. OH MY GOD
This is amazing :allears:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mumbly posted:

Oh please. They dog on her because her mutually loving marriage to Pretty Person A is preventing him from hooking up with Pretty Person B, who has no romantic interest in him so far.

Katrina is useless because is she is terribly written and is consistently lying her rear end off. We had a discussion in this very thread about that like 2 pages ago. And again, they're mostly dogging her because a lot of her fans went on a crazy racist crusade in a place heavily consisting of black women.

These women have a vested interest in seeing a black woman on television get some love because the media is not kind to us. Especially in scripted shows. Scandal was a huge deal because a sister was getting it on (with white guys, no less) and was actually allowed to be sexy.

Tumblr has the highest rate of black female users on social media. It's a social justice thing, yeah but I get it. I know it seems like petty shipping but in context it's a lot more nuanced.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

Compendium posted:

Besides I'm still holding out for Franklinstein x Abbie. :v: (Seriously, where are you buddy)

I agree. She gave him some really good head and he never calls her back.

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007
I understand there's nuance with this issue. It's just that said nuance is overshadowed by people who just want the two main characters to hook up as quickly as possible, plot, pacing, and characterization be damned, and scream bloody murder when it doesn't happen. Katrina could be the best written character on the show and they'd still poo poo on her for being Ichabod's wife who he loves instead of Abbie. It really sucks that they had to put up with racists that one time, but from what I've seen their hatred of the character has nothing to do with some brief fandom drama from last year.

The Mills sisters and Irving need more to do and to do it more often. They should do that instead of forcing one of those characters into a relationship with Snarky White British Protagonist.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Hellfire Club? Bring on Emma Frost!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Boxman posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the name "The Horrid King."

Like, I'm not even sure it makes the top three list of "The <blank> kings" for me. Just saying, I think other titles are better.

EDIT: "The Demon of the Apocalypse is growing inside of me."

Yup, this is Sleepy Hollow

Its a line from Paradise Lost, "First MOLOCH, horrid King besmear'd with blood Of human sacrifice, and parents tears"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Can we change the thread title again, please? "Sleepy Hollow Season 2 - Now with 56K Dial-Up" :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sleepy Hollow Season 2 [56k Warning]

It'll be like an LP from 2007.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Seychelles82 posted:

This is why earlier I said I hoped her character died. I'd rather see Irving and Jenny--gently caress I'd rather see Hawley--anything besides conversations between Katrina and Ichabod consisting of "our love will get us through this/our love will prevail." She's just crazy boring to me and the only way they can redeem her is if she does the opposite of Ichabod and embraces modern clothing, especially some of the weirder styles.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm down for the corset wearing redhead witch. Shut your whore mouth Tumblr.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

KIT HAGS posted:

She's just crazy boring to me and the only way they can redeem her is if she does the opposite of Ichabod and embraces modern clothing, especially some of the weirder styles.

So she goes full The Craft?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

KIT HAGS posted:

This is why earlier I said I hoped her character died. I'd rather see Irving and Jenny--gently caress I'd rather see Hawley--anything besides conversations between Katrina and Ichabod consisting of "our love will get us through this/our love will prevail." She's just crazy boring to me and the only way they can redeem her is if she does the opposite of Ichabod and embraces modern clothing, especially some of the weirder styles.

Witches look great in short skirts as proved by the 90s documentary the craft.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jscolon2.0 posted:

So she goes full The Craft?

gently caress. I knew I should have read till the last post.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My issue with this season is pretty much it's almost all mytharc based. Outside of the Pied Piper one, and I think one more, almost every episode this season has been connected to the overall storyline...and ehhh, it's been not as fun. I miss this show being weird as poo poo with literal tree monsters, The Sandman, ect. Having every monster be directly related to Henry, Katrina or Moloch is just, well...kinda dull. I don't mind when they do that stuff, but it should be more spread out. This is like the third monster of the week that has direct ties with the characters. Which means they can't really do much. I'll be honest, I have no ill will toward Katrina or anything, but I wish something happened to her because what they did to resolve it was some bullshit. Where the gently caress did that come from?

It came off like the writers honestly didn't know what to do with this idea, and thought they didn't want to kill any major character off, so hey Benny J had a crystal that harnessed the power of the Northern Lights because who cares! I know this show is super cheesy, and silly, but they always do it with a bit of intelligence about it. Unless that was set up early on, and I missed it, it was just dumb and not fun. It's no Franklenstine's monster.

Hopefully next week will be something on it's own, with fragments of mytharc story lines popping in and out.

Something's off, and I hope it picks up again. I just want to get back to the characters fighting monsters and making fun quips. I don't really care who tags along! Let Katrina be by Ichabod's side, she's got powers, that could be super fun. Just chill out with Henry is doing literally everything, alright?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Personally, I'm getting pretty tired of Ichabod always instantly knowing what some obscure thing they saw/heard was. Yeah I get that he's supposed to have an eidetic memory but him going "oh I know what that weird goat symbol is! here's a book about it" every time is getting boring. It's like a cop out to get right to the (dumb) action instead of doing fun research trips like that time Abbie and Ichabod went to the museum to find stuff about Paul Revere.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah, that too. I love this show, but when it does that, it stops being cheesy, and starts being a product written by Orci and Kurtzman.

Yes, I know who created the show. But the first season was pretty different from most of the hacky poo poo they write.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

flynt posted:

Relationship stuff in shows like this is always terrible because it either comes off as ridiculously mundane and disconnected or it's shoehorned into the main plot and just doesn't work. It also has a bad habit of redefining existing characters in uninteresting ways. Oh, well show is still pretty good so whatever.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Aww, I really wanted Franklenstein to show up like some on demand third trimester illegal abortionist and fix that poo poo. Criminally underused.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

a crystal that harnessed the power of the Northern Lights because who cares!

Hey show, aurora borealis does not work that way!

Agree with pretty much everything you said. Still very much enjoying the show and this episode but this season it really has seemed to lost a lot of its its anarchistic energy the first had. There's still plenty of traces of it -Irving being scammed into signing his soul away was great- but its definitely feeling less like the apocalypse is inevitable and the main characters are in the midst of the final days and have little to no chance of stopping it, and more like a weekly showing of Gargamels inane schemes to turn the smurfs into gold, that are always destined to fail due to the conversions of the show (I have no idea if there was like some grim dark ending of the originally smurfs cartoons where he did actually turn them all into gold, but I going to assume there wasn't). Probably not the best example, but for some reason it was the first that came to mind.

Anyway even if it doesn't return to the feel of season, I'll be a bit disappointed sure, but it is still a fun show, and I can't say I've disliked any episode this season, more John Noble is always appreciated, just sort of hoping they do start to ramp up the general end of the world insanity aspect a bit more near the end of this season.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This season better involve Ben Franklin himself being resurrected. That man's ego will not tolerate death ruining his work and fun. And you know he'll love that there's a song saying everything is about him.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I found the funniest part of this episode to be the ending stinger. "welp, our demon baby plot got foiled. Oh well time for plan B, which is demon IVF".

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Asehujiko posted:

I found the funniest part of this episode to be the ending stinger. "welp, our demon baby plot got foiled. Oh well time for plan B, which is demon IVF".
Jeremy is just going to carry that jar around like the world's worst pokéball.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Yes, this is Sleepy Hollow. Katrina gets knocked up with a demon-baby so Crane and Abbie have to give her an aurorabortion.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

johntfs posted:

Yes, this is Sleepy Hollow. Katrina gets knocked up with a demon-baby so Crane and Abbie have to give her an aurorabortion.

Aurorobortionalis, please.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like Hawley but they are using him so much that I am getting tired of him too. They seem to be pushing him because he is somehow going to play a big role in things somewhere along this season so they are shoving him into every episode they can instead of going the route they did with Henry.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Maybe the succubus will sex him to death next episode and it will turn out that they only had him show up so much to build up sympathy first.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Welp. I just have one thing to say. Katrina now has a haunted vagina. And I still think sleepy hollow is one of the funner silly shows on tv.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My feeling on the current season is that there's been a lot of wheel spinning. It feels like a procedural locked in a formula rather than the active, and consequentially more exciting, first season. Yeah, Katrina is boring and it feels like the bad guys have been neutered, but I think it comes down to the show is just filling time as though they've got six episodes they want to do but have to write another twelve that keep things in place to get to those six.

The MSJ posted:

This season better involve Ben Franklin himself being resurrected. That man's ego will not tolerate death ruining his work and fun. And you know he'll love that there's a song saying everything is about him.

Now I want Franklin to time travel to the 21st century using his combination stove/time machine just so he can use that line.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 4, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Apparently Katrina got her navel pierced in Colonial-era America. Go figure.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Gonz posted:

Apparently Katrina got her navel pierced in Colonial-era America. Go figure.

She's obviously a Gypsy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slamhound posted:

Aurorobortionalis, please.

:roflolmao: I'm crying here. That's made my day.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wonder how Headless is doing. Moloch cannot be too happy with him.

I also expect next week to have Ichabod mention that Ben Franklin totally seduced a succubus once, because that is just how Benjamin rolls.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The MSJ posted:

I wonder how Headless is doing. Moloch cannot be too happy with him.

I also expect next week to have Ichabod mention that Ben Franklin totally seduced a succubus once, because that is just how Benjamin rolls.

I think Abe's getting hosed over something fierce, because Orci and Kurtzman suck at handling gray characters.

My guess? He gets a complete character reset sometime before the finale and is brainwashed by Moloch and/or Henry to turn him back into the implacable monster he was in the pilot so they can keep using one of the principle selling points of the show on all the posters and ads. Which would suck because I'm starting to like Lawful Neutral Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I want Moloch to have a boss, so it turns out that the boss also thinks Moloch is highly incompetent and bad at their job, and has just been using Moloch as a distraction for the witnesses while the other demon guy gets his army ready.

I just really want Hell's chain of command to all hate each other for being bad at their job and grow even larger.

• Locked thread