Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Are there any good ways to go through Baldur's Gate in 20-30 hours? I'm looking for a lean run just because I want to see the 'core' story and save the sidequests for replays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I haven't been paying much attention but does the release of IWD: EE mean we're getting IWD2: EE? I like all the Infinity engine games but IWD2 has a special place in my heart for its weird implementation of 3rd edition rules.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Is there any way to get EE keeper to work with Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Tezzeract posted:

Are there any good ways to go through Baldur's Gate in 20-30 hours? I'm looking for a lean run just because I want to see the 'core' story and save the sidequests for replays.

Just BG1? The plot's reasonably signposted, and you can follow it directly instead of ducking in and out and around everywhere. You'll be lower level, but with the way 2e AD&D ramps up the necessary XP for each level, you shouldn't get massively behind a more exploratory run. You might have to exercise a bit of discipline if you're set on the lean run: there's lots of side quests you'll pick up incidentally that are sure to sound cool.

I'll give you the least spoiler-y advice I can, then be a bit more detailed in tags, since this sounds like your first time through.

There's nothing terribly wrong with picking up party members to just fill out your group and give you more bodies for a time until you settle on a permanent set of characters. There's plenty of them around in the game, and it doesn't scale to party size.
A little bit of side-quest work just after you've entered Chapter 2 and Chapter 4 is probably appropriate. Chapter 2's critical areas want you to have a bit more meat on your bones than you probably entered the chapter with, and the path you have to tread on the way to Chapter 4's critical areas is rather dangerous.
Chapter 3 is fine to go into straight after 2, as long as you're not set on killing everyone in your way, which you need to be decently levelled for. Cunning and negotiation are better for someone new and/or low level.
After 4, you're probably OK for the rest of the game, since there's a bit more going on with the plot path, which gives you the necessary XP/gold/items to keep going.

If I were running through quickly, I'd probably be more careless about party members at the start, picking up Xzar, Montaron etc. at the start just to help run me through to Nashkel alongside Khalid and Jaheira.
Then I'd abandon/not raise them in Nashkhel to grab Minsc and Dynaheir. Getting through the Gnoll Fortress, and maybe Brage's sidequest, probably bumps you up to a good enough level to take on the Mines.
After that, you need to be careful about doing the more aggressive ways through the Bandit portion of the main quest, like not taking on all the Black Talons in Larswood/Peldvale or the entire camp at one, but you really don't need to do those aggressive ways, so it's fine just to go straight into them.
Cloakwood is the next major stopping point, before which I would recommend you take a little time to get more experience and gold, and to buy better equipment with it. Also lots of Antidotes. Taking on the Ankhegs south of Baldur's Gate is good for decent money when you're selling shells to Officer Vai, isn't outrageously hard, and gets you fair XP into the bargain.
When you're through Cloakwood, I think you've got a straight shot to the end of the game, in that the critical path has enough gold, XP, and appropriately good items to keep you basically in contention with the enemies you'll be facing.

If you need more advice, on just playing the game or not, come back to the thread and I'm sure we'll try to help. :)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
jesus how is iwd:ee on google play and not bg2? that is just some weird poo poo. i haven't bought it yet but it does mention in-app purchases which is abit weird and the price is lower than the steam version (phone: £6.99 steam: £14.99)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Deaderinred posted:

jesus how is iwd:ee on google play and not bg2? that is just some weird poo poo. i haven't bought it yet but it does mention in-app purchases which is abit weird and the price is lower than the steam version (phone: £6.99 steam: £14.99)

I got it last night and it is running great on the n9. But as far as in app purchases. BG1 was cheaper but didn't include the new characters, stuff like that was the DLC for the mobile versions (all included in the PC/Mac ver). I...honestly have no idea what the dlc is for IWD though.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Sleep of Bronze posted:

If you need more advice, on just playing the game or not, come back to the thread and I'm sure we'll try to help. :)

Thanks for this!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Is there any way I can give Korgan some thieving skills via Shadow Keeper?

I'm currently running through BG2 with a lean party of 4 since this makes pathfinding issues just barely tolerable for me but I've got no thieves and I'm getting tired of reloading when someone gets gibbed by a trap.

Is there a work-around for traps without having a dumb weak thief tagging along, or am I gonna have to bite the D&D bad design bullet on this?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Levantine posted:

I haven't been paying much attention but does the release of IWD: EE mean we're getting IWD2: EE? I like all the Infinity engine games but IWD2 has a special place in my heart for its weird implementation of 3rd edition rules.

Overhaul haven't said if they're doing IWD2:EE yet. Given the rules differences, it would take a lot more work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Krowley posted:

I'm currently running through BG2 with a lean party of 4 since this makes pathfinding issues just barely tolerable for me but I've got no thieves and I'm getting tired of reloading when someone gets gibbed by a trap.

Is there a work-around for traps without having a dumb weak thief tagging along, or am I gonna have to bite the D&D bad design bullet on this?

There is no way to give non-thieves thief abilities in Shadowkeeper. There is the Find Traps spell, which you might be able to give to one of the charavters as a special ability, but that doesn't disarm them. If your main character is a mage, one of the familiars can remove traps, can't remember which one though.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Krowley posted:

You could just shadow keeper him into a fighter thief.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you're going to make someone a X/thief, probably better off dping it to a mage, since yoi can't use thief skills in heavy armor without a mod, and with it modded there's huge penalties.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah not too keen on turning Korgan into a thief. I just wanted to give him the disarm trap skill, but I guess that's not workable.

Viconia has Find Traps memorized but she hasn't been that good at spotting the worst traps recently, so looks like I'm picking up Jan next. If only summons or dominated enemies could trigger traps then I could send them down the hallway to clear it out.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Skwirl posted:

If you're going to make someone a X/thief, probably better off dping it to a mage, since yoi can't use thief skills in heavy armor without a mod, and with it modded there's huge penalties.

I like fighter/thieves because it gives me an excuse to actually use light armor in combat. It's in no way optimal, but there's really good light armor I'd never play with otherwise.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
I usually make Viconia a Cleric/Thief if I'm not running one myself. Putting her in light armor works well with her poo poo strength score. If I want to get backstabby, I give her a Staff of Striking/Staff of the Ram. Otherwise she hangs back with a sling.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

SodomyGoat101 posted:

I usually make Viconia a Cleric/Thief if I'm not running one myself. Putting her in light armor works well with her poo poo strength score. If I want to get backstabby, I give her a Staff of Striking/Staff of the Ram. Otherwise she hangs back with a sling.

Hmm that might work. Could I use Shadow Keeper to give her a couple levels in thief just to unlock the ability, and have her level as a cleric from then on? I was never able to understand the dual/multi-classing thing in 2nd edition d&d.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Krowley posted:

Hmm that might work. Could I use Shadow Keeper to give her a couple levels in thief just to unlock the ability, and have her level as a cleric from then on? I was never able to understand the dual/multi-classing thing in 2nd edition d&d.
You'd have to delevel her completely, make her human, dual her at whatever, then make her an elf again. I'd just grab Jan because another mage is always useful.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I'm going to go ahead and pick up BG2EE tonight. I kind of want to play a half-orc, but I've played similar games (NWN2, Torment) and have always been bored by fighters.

What's the most fun yet capable class available to half-orcs? Cleric seems fun, but I don't know whether that will render Viconia redundant. Don't really want that because I have dumb opinions and really like drow.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Vichan posted:

Is there any way to get EE keeper to work with Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition?
I've used EE Keeper version 1.0.2.5 and it works fine.

Krowley posted:

I normally keep Yoshimo in my party since he's important for plot reasons. After Imoen joins in she can cover the thief skills and act as a serviceable mage.

In BG1 getting Coran to join your party works wonders. He can fulfill all your unlocking and trap disarming needs and with his 20 Dex and illegal 3 dots in bows is one of the best bowmen in the game.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah, tried dicking around with shadow keeper to turn Viconia into a thief/cleric but it's probably gonna gently caress up my game somehow.

Basically there's no work-around and I have to have a dumb weak thief tagging along.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Levantine posted:

It would be amazing if they did.

Airfoil posted:

Overhaul haven't said if they're doing IWD2:EE yet. Given the rules differences, it would take a lot more work.
IWD2 was amazing though. Probably the most fun I had playing an Infinity Engine game. In my opinion it is really well written, it is awesome that you can build your own party and do literally anything you want and it will likely be at least functional if you have your important archetypes covered. The rules changes based on the quasi-3E rules was also incredible because the game stopped being "find the gamey-est way to kill the mage". I would happily spend $20 on an EE of Icewind 2. edit: my point is that the game was great. Lots of people are hopefully buying the other EEs and whatnot and would buy an EE of IWD2 as well.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
IWD:EE on android already gets a thumbs up from me. The pre-made party it defaults to doesn't have total rear end stats, has a berserker, paladin, cleric/ranger, wizard, fighter/thief, and a bard. (I think that is what they are)

...No setting up/rolling chars? Get on the train and play? Hell yeah.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Anyone know if there's a key in IWDEE to highlight the objects you can interact with on the map? I think it was alt or tab in Baldur's Gate?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

armoredgorilla posted:

Anyone know if there's a key in IWDEE to highlight the objects you can interact with on the map? I think it was alt or tab in Baldur's Gate?

Isn't it one of the 4 buttons just below the char portraits? I think the one with the magnifying glass.
E: For android...I'd assume it is the same as it used to be on the PC/Mac ver...

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I'm having a really hard time figuring out what character to put in my healer slot for IWD.

Should I dual class Fighter/Cleric at level 3? Should I multi/class Fighter/Cleric? Should I get a Druid? Should I dual/multi class a druid? These are all my options and it's driving me nuts. Please advise.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I'm having a really hard time figuring out what character to put in my healer slot for IWD.

Should I dual class Fighter/Cleric at level 3? Should I multi/class Fighter/Cleric? Should I get a Druid? Should I dual/multi class a druid? These are all my options and it's driving me nuts. Please advise.

My general party for casual play is:

Human Paladin
Half-Orc Fighter (Berserker)
Human Fighter/Cleric (Dual Class at 3 or 6 to get your weapon proficiencies, maybe 9 for one more proficiency slot and max HD for a fighter if you want to do high-level/Heart of Fury play)
Half-Elf Fighter/Druid (you are NEVER going to roll the stats you need to dual class a decent fighter to druid)
Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief
Human Fighter (Kensai)/Mage (same dual class options as the fighter/cleric above)

If it's a fighter/whatever dual class, always dual class FROM Fighter to make use of those sweet sweet hit points.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

armoredgorilla posted:

It's Tab.

For the person asking about EEKeeper, update to the newest version (as said above, it's 1.0.2.5) and you're golden.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
For someone new to BG:EE(only played BG2), if I want to run a human shapeshifter druid is that going to be a problem? What stats should I look for, and what weapon proficiencies should I take? Any general advice on the build would be helpful too.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
^^
Unless I recall incorrectly, shapeshifters basically don't need any stats except wisdom since all your physical stats get replaced by the werewolf form anyway. Same with weapon proficiencies. I think you can even cast while in were-form so you're basically the destroyer of worlds.

Dirty_Moses posted:

I'm going to go ahead and pick up BG2EE tonight. I kind of want to play a half-orc, but I've played similar games (NWN2, Torment) and have always been bored by fighters.

What's the most fun yet capable class available to half-orcs? Cleric seems fun, but I don't know whether that will render Viconia redundant. Don't really want that because I have dumb opinions and really like drow.

I suppose you could make a half-orc swashbuckler to take advantage of the Str/Con you get.

I wanted to recommend Blackguard but then I realized they already made Dorn for that and he has an illegal race/class combination to begin with. :saddowns:

invisiblelantern
Jan 15, 2007

AtillatheBum posted:

For someone new to BG:EE(only played BG2), if I want to run a human shapeshifter druid is that going to be a problem? What stats should I look for, and what weapon proficiencies should I take? Any general advice on the build would be helpful too.

Max wisdom and 16 Constitution, definitely, but only because you'll be spending most of the game in the regular Werewolf form; I believe that the Greater Werewolf form overrides your Constitution. Strength and dex are overridden in both forms, so those don't really matter. You can't cast spells while in werewolf form either, so buffing beforehand is a necessity. It looks like they fixed the damage bug the class had in BG2 vanilla (regular werewolf only did 1d6 piercing damage, whereas this one seems to do more slashing damage).

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Krowley posted:

Either the tweak pack or Sword Coast Stratagems mod gives an option to remove all traps and/or locks, I think it's the tweak pack.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

Either the tweak pack or Sword Coast Stratagems mod gives an option to remove all traps and/or locks, I think it's the tweak pack.

Thanks, though it's probably too late to install those mid-game. I found a mod that makes Viconia a dual-classed rear end Cleric but you couldn't add that one after you've recruited her.

Ended up just making her a multiclass Cleric/Thief. It'll gimp her spellcasting, but I hear quarterstaff backstabbing is good stuff.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Grrr, hurry up and get approved on iOS, please, IWD:EE

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Out of curiosity, if you're in need of a thief but don't like single-class thieves, why are you not using Nalia or Jan? Jan is a solid character and most find him entertaining as well, and Nalia is effectively a straight mage with thief abilities.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Looks like I got addicted to IWD right as I was in the middle of a BG1 run. Oops.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Once an unkitted Bard hits level 11 you can just have him constantly sing the War Chant of Sith, that gives you regeneration (in addition to an AC and a to hit bonus). That pretty much takes care of the out of combat healing. I found it pretty convenient as I no longer need to keep casting spells to heal people after combat and that also freed up my Cleric to memorize buffs instead of cure spells.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

BadAstronaut posted:

Grrr, hurry up and get approved on iOS, please, IWD:EE

"Beamdog Nov 1
þ@Beamdoginc Bad news. #IWDEE was rejected from the app store. We'll re-submit Monday Reason: objectionable content in the heart of Winter intro video."

My hopes of it hitting tonight are dashed. Also, I never played Heart of Winter. What do you think the objectionable content was?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dragonrah posted:

"Beamdog Nov 1
þ@Beamdoginc Bad news. #IWDEE was rejected from the app store. We'll re-submit Monday Reason: objectionable content in the heart of Winter intro video."

My hopes of it hitting tonight are dashed. Also, I never played Heart of Winter. What do you think the objectionable content was?

There's a shot of the seer's wizened, naked body. HOW DARE WOMEN HAVE BOOBS IN PUBLIC.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Hah seriously apple what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
What do you guys have your clerics usually do in battle? I randomized stats so she is not very strong except in wisdom, so I'm not sure if I should put her in the heat of battle, even if she does have splint mail armor and whatnot