Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

47 accuracy/23 det really isn't anything to get spun up about. I'll probably not get it until last because the dreadwyrm chest is so much better.

Im assuming I wont see a Dreadwyrm drg chest any time soon since I dont yet have a dedicated static for FCOB outside being a sub so my immediate future consists of farming T9 (likely very unsuccessfully) with a few people I know until I can get a solid group together. If I take that Dreadworm body out and just go apples to apples with the Ironworks curiass vs Astrum mail I see +6 str +3 acc +22 det and +6 vit, -29 SS.

Ill be the first to admit how awful I am with the math on these bits but it looks to me like the Ironworks Curiass will out dps Astrum even with that SS hit. Am I wrong?

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

a guide to gets commendations as dps, the fyad way

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Im assuming I wont see a Dreadwyrm drg chest any time soon since I dont yet have a dedicated static for FCOB outside being a sub so my immediate future consists of farming T9 (likely very unsuccessfully) with a few people I know until I can get a solid group together. If I take that Dreadworm body out and just go apples to apples with the Ironworks curiass vs Astrum mail I see +6 str +3 acc +22 det and +6 vit, -29 SS.

Ill be the first to admit how awful I am with the math on these bits but it looks to me like the Ironworks Curiass will out dps Astrum even with that SS hit. Am I wrong?

You're absolutely right. However, you get the same str boost from the pants and get crit/det which beat out the crit/SS of the astrum pants by much more. I'm not saying that the chest isn't an upgrade over 110 stuff. It absolutely is, but there are other upgrades (namely pants) that I would say get first.

For drg it's STR>DET>Crit>SS in order of priority. You should take every str upgrade regardless of the substats you can.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
I swear, pubs loving up BLM is a literal artform. I just tanked a Qarn HM where, without a hint of irony, the BLM complained that the dungeon was taking too long. He was exclusively using Flare, Fire 3 and Transpose. :psyduck:

Spaceman Future! posted:

Im assuming I wont see a Dreadwyrm drg chest any time soon since I dont yet have a dedicated static for FCOB outside being a sub so my immediate future consists of farming T9 with a few people I know until I can get a solid group together. If I take that Dreadworm body out and just go apples to apples with the Ironworks curiass vs Astrum mail I see +6 str +3 acc +22 det and +6 vit, -29 SS.

SS is real bad and Det is really good, not even considering bonus Str (and the Vit, which is pretty important).

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Belzac posted:

Hey KaneTW, don't dps shame. Some people are just born with bad dps and pointing that out hurts their feelings and makes you look like an anti-bad dps bigot. You used to be cool but then you started telling people to :gitgud: there's no excuse for that.

:goonsay:

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Chyea posted:

https://soundcloud.com/ffxivunnoficial/final-coil-of-bahamut-boss-bgm-3

Maybe it's because it's still so clear in my head but, these theme absolutely makes Bahamut seem so much more terrifying. When this starts playing during Teraflare you know poo poo is about to go down.

I can't wait to see this in action once we :gitgud: enough. How long are you guys thinking of waiting before releasing a t13 kill video?

Edit:
Also,

Belzac posted:

Hey KaneTW, don't dps shame. Some people are just born with bad dps and pointing that out hurts their feelings and makes you look like an anti-bad dps bigot. You used to be cool but then you started telling people to :gitgud: there's no excuse for that.
:goonsay:

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

TooManyUzukis posted:

How long are you guys thinking of waiting before releasing a t13 kill video?

After five different groups kill it, and only after Lucrezia since they got world first. I hope there's some footage of earlier pulls to show how much spaghetti happened.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Is there anyway to skip dungeons during the story? I can't get through Brayflox's Longstop as a healer and there's no loving way I'm going to roll a class from 1-30 just to be able to play DPS instead, but I'd still like to see the rest of the solo story before quitting.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Chyea posted:

After five different groups kill it, and only after Lucrezia since they got world first. I hope there's some footage of earlier pulls to show how much spaghetti happened.
Someone was streaming early T13 pulls the other day.

Pew pew.

Varance fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 4, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

Is there anyway to skip dungeons during the story? I can't get through Brayflox's Longstop as a healer and there's no loving way I'm going to roll a class from 1-30 just to be able to play DPS instead, but I'd still like to see the rest of the solo story before quitting.

Nope.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Adam Bowen posted:

Why can't you get through Brayflox as a healer? And no, you can't skip dungeons.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Why can't you get through Brayflox as a healer? And no, you can't skip dungeons.

The only thing I could guess was if he was playing SCH due to lack of leeches, but then he should be able to just queue as ACN or SMN instead, so―

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you're a WHM and struggling with normalflox you just need to use esuna and regen more.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Chyea posted:

Chyea how much accuracy did you go for on T13? I've heard everything from 530 to 550 and I'd like to be able to plan out my poetics purchases.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Because I'm not able to chain-cure the tank while dodging dragon spit and casting esuna (and an occasional cure) on every one else without running out of MP by the time the boss is at 1/4 health. I don't know if it's because I have lovely gear or lovely reflexes, but I just could not keep up.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sounds like you got a bad tank, maybe.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

Because I'm not able to chain-cure the tank while dodging dragon spit and casting esuna (and an occasional cure) on every one else without running out of MP by the time the boss is at 1/4 health. I don't know if it's because I have lovely gear or lovely reflexes, but I just could not keep up.

Bonus question: you aren't spamming Cure 2 are you?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Adam Bowen being bad at video games? Well I never!

Spaceman Future! posted:

So I will have enough Poetry for a body tonight, I usually main Bard or Dragoon. Thing is, Dragoon seems kinda silly to spend seals on right now when I have monk at i90 and could gear it super easy after dropping a fancy new poet body on it, and Bard body looks like a waste of Poetry. A bit of ACC but losses on Crit and Det and basically breakeven on Dex once unweathered.

So, goons whom I trust, Should I just gear up Monk? Am I judging Bard body completely wrong? Is DRG worth it right now, it seems like it needs a buff to be relevant again.

I know, the real answer is level NIN but take that out, whats my best option here?

Yo there are Dragoons clearing Turn 12 right now so unless you're really planning to go hard on the next Savage coil, I think you'll be okay if you decide to focus and master that class.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Adam Bowen posted:

1) What is your gear/access?

2) Are you on the Excal server?

3) Sounds like you're playing with terrible people if you're spreading Cures on everyone and not just the tank. There will be random poison pools that he'll spit and the occasional aoe stomp but it definitely sounds abnormal if you're not focusing on the tank 90% of the time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Gear up whichever you like best between monk and dragoon. They are essentially interchangeable.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shere posted:

Here, this was the day before the 2.4 patch:

No one died to landslides.

What program is this? Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I looked through the OP and didn’t see this mentioned. I’m a fairly recent lv50 and wanna make sure I’m keeping up my numbers for when I start running into tight DPS checks. Also so I can feel good about myself by having A Higher Number.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

1) What is your gear/access?

2) Are you on the Excal server?

3) Sounds like you're playing with terrible people if you're spreading Cures on everyone and not just the tank. There will be random poison pools that he'll spit and the occasional aoe stomp but it definitely sounds abnormal if you're not focusing on the tank 90% of the time.

Here's my guy: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/5884857/ I upgraded my wand, head, shield and earring after they told me my gear sucked, but I don't know what to do about the rings since they seem pretty rare at low level.

ilifinicus posted:

Bonus question: you aren't spamming Cure 2 are you?

Not generally, but I had to use it frequently in the poison dragon fight because every time I came back to the tank after throwing an esuna and/or cure on someone else he was at like 20%. I ran about halfway through the dungeon with two other parties as well, and it seems like the tanks drop much faster then they did in previous dungeons.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

CodfishCartographer posted:

What program is this? Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I looked through the OP and didn’t see this mentioned. I’m a fairly recent lv50 and wanna make sure I’m keeping up my numbers for when I start running into tight DPS checks. Also so I can feel good about myself by having A Higher Number.

That is Active Combat Tracker, with the FFXIV parsing plugin (located on the download page). However, have a disclaimer:

Do not mention your numbers in game. At least in a public channel. If someone reports you to SE for bringing up numbers (or harassing others about their DPS), they'll be all too happy to curbstomp your account for using a third party tool. Hell, if they even learn you are using one, you will probably get to visit GM jail.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 4, 2014

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

Here's my guy: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/5884857/ I upgraded my wand, head, shield and earring after they told me my gear sucked, but I don't know what to do about the rings since they seem pretty rare at low level.

Not generally, but I had to use it frequently in the poison dragon fight because every time I came back to the tank after throwing an esuna and/or cure on someone else he was at like 20%. I ran about halfway through the dungeon with two other parties as well, and it seems like the tanks drop much faster then they did in previous dungeons.

I was having trouble on Brayflox's last boss as WHM too, and the #1 thing that made me stop going OOM and praying to various gods was simply: don't Esuna everyone immediately. Only Esuna people if they have two stacks of poison, and even then you should only immediately do so on the tank, the dps can deal with it. It does 28 damage a tick per stack, which is negligible when it's just at 1 stack.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Adam Bowen posted:

Do you have a regen on the tank? If not, put a regen on them. I see a lot of newer WHMs not using regen, and that's just bad. Treat regen on your tank in a boss fight like a DOT on an enemy. Shoot for 100% uptime.

Also, a regen on a DPS will more than cover any of the poison dots from the boss.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Adam Bowen posted:

You're in DGKK, just ask in FC chat for help and indicate you've had issues with the dungeon completion and you should be able to wrangle some tanks/DPS who won't stand in poison. If I see you asking I'll be happy to come DPS for ya.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Adam Bowen posted:

Find an "Independent Jeweler" NPC in your city of choice, they'll sell rings/necks/wrists up to the mid-twenties I think. I'm going to be moving for a while today but if you're around when I get on later I can tank for you on my PLD, provided you still need the dungeon.

Legit though I never learned Brayflox I just ran through it as WAR and had no idea what the gently caress I was doing the entire time.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

I'll be on a little after 4pm CST tonight if you're on Excal in whatever the gently caress we're called now, hit up Baked Potato and I can tank it for you.

Brotato for life.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do you have a regen on the tank? If not, put a regen on them. I see a lot of newer WHMs not using regen, and that's just bad. Treat regen on your tank in a boss fight like a DOT on an enemy. Shoot for 100% uptime.

Also, a regen on a DPS will more than cover any of the poison dots from the boss.

Regen is level 35, cap for Brayflox is 34. :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Eight-Six posted:

Regen is level 35, cap for Brayflox is 34. :v:

Snap. I knew regen was 35 but spaced brayflox's cap. Disregard regen advice for that fight, but still, use regen please outside of that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Adam Bowen posted:

Why have you not said anything in FC chat? I would've thrown a full set of HQ gear at you if you just asked. :(

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Mr. Nice! posted:

Brayflox unlocks at 32. Regen at 35. Not the fault of people leveling up that they don't have it yet - I had trouble healing Brayflox until I started to watch freecure procs like a hawk.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DarkstarIV posted:

That is Active Combat Tracker, with the FFXIV parsing plugin (located on the download page). However, have a disclaimer:

Do not mention your numbers in game. At least in a public channel. If someone reports you to SE for bringing up numbers (or harassing others about their DPS), they'll be all too happy to curbstomp your account for using a third party tool. Hell, if they even learn you are using one, you will probably get to visit GM jail.

Thanks! And yeah, I wasn't intending on blabbing much about it as I figured it wasn't fully kosher as far as SE was concerned.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kenlon posted:

Brayflox unlocks at 32. Regen at 35. Not the fault of people leveling up that they don't have it yet - I had trouble healing Brayflox until I started to watch freecure procs like a hawk.

Yeah I completely whiffed on that one.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

The only time your deeps should be taking damage from the dragon is if they get hit by an acid puddle, or if they are a meele DPS they will occasionally get hit by a small AOE. If you have all ranged just esuna them and throw a cure whenever, dont stress filling them up right away and focus on the tank. Brayflox is the first dungeon to really slam your tank, most healers have a few rough runs at it while they learn, keep at it.

You're going to want to get comfortable in Brayflox if you want to level healer all the way to 50, you're going to be doing a lot harder content soon. Its your first big "Figure this out or die" bootcamp. Its not as hard as it seems now, just try a few more runs.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

CodfishCartographer posted:

Thanks! And yeah, I wasn't intending on blabbing much about it as I figured it wasn't fully kosher as far as SE was concerned.

SE's stance on it (and external tools in general) is pretty much that they'll turn a blind eye to it as long as it's not being used to harass other players and you aren't gaining an unfair advantage.

Basically: don't flaunt your DPS numbers in game, don't poo poo-talk other players for their DPS, and don't use hacks/game modifications.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Any tips on tanking Amdapoor Keep and the HM primals? Working on my relic.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Spaceman Future! posted:

The only time your deeps should be taking damage from the dragon is if they get hit by an acid puddle, or if they are a meele DPS they will occasionally get hit by a small AOE. If you have all ranged just esuna them and throw a cure whenever, dont stress filling them up right away and focus on the tank. Brayflox is the first dungeon to really slam your tank, most healers have a few rough runs at it while they learn, keep at it.

You're going to want to get comfortable in Brayflox if you want to level healer all the way to 50, you're going to be doing a lot harder content soon. Its your first big "Figure this out or die" bootcamp. Its not as hard as it seems now, just try a few more runs.

A lot of the problem is that bad tanks will often just stand in the easily avoidable cone attack, making things a lot harder for the healer. Or at least that was my experience when running it as dps. As a tank I never really had any problems in Brayflox because I R Not Stupid Tank.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Either way, I think that there are plenty of people in both FCs that will gladly help you through. I can tank or DPS when I get home from classes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Azubah posted:

Any tips on tanking Amdapoor Keep and the HM primals? Working on my relic.

Make sure you're ready to Steel Cyclone/Overpower/Scorn the feathers as they spawn, all nicely clustered on Garuda. May not mean much with how hilariously overgeared people are. Liable to have a WHM with their itchy trigger finger on Holy anyways.

Walking forward and to the left/right is faster than going backwards to get out of cones.

Garuda's stun is a cone with no ground target. Watch cast bars accordingly.

Titan is on a fixed rotation. Landslide, left hook, Mountain Buster. Pop the appropriate thingie when you get hit with the left hook so you're good for the Mountain Buster.

If you get hit with an Ifrit charge while running around the perimeter of the arena, for the love of all that is unholy, STOP MOVING. You're not going to get hit by a second if you stop. Additionally, there is a safe zone between Ifrits.

• Locked thread