Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Welp, it sounds like Pact will be winding down before long and then he's working on something he's calling 'Twig' and then back to Worm.

Is there a source on this? For the reasons people mentioned above I hope he does wrap up Pact soon. Finish up the battle for Jacob's Bell while dealing with Allister and Molly, resolve the Rose/Blake situation, then take a breather from the story for a while. I like the setting well enough I'd appreciate more stories in it, but he could use a reset since the story has been GOGOGO from the start. Too much filler is a bad thing, but so is non-stop season finale.

He can leave the big demons, law firm and Johannes for the sequel. I'm just not sure where Conquest would fit in as he's dropped seeds enough that it would almost require an arc. Speculation: Unless the next series has Ross dealing with remnants of Rose, Conquest and Blake in his head.

If he is continuing, even one full arc dealing with everyone getting their bearings and having some downtime would be greatly appreciated, I trust Wildbow not to make it boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'm of the other opinion, in that I'm still generally for how Pact's been going. I'm not sure where this perception of a lack of character development comes from. We've got better looks at Maggie, Rose, Blake's friends, the younger Thornburns, as well as a front-row seat to Blake's deteriorating sanity. Evan is still great, Green Eyes is almost as good, and Alister is a good replacement for Laird.

I think Pact has had pretty good pacing since the Conquest arc ended. The thing is, Pact, like Worm, is in large part a tragedy. Real tragedies aren't really that common these days, but there's a lot of historical precedent for how they get plotted. Breaking Bad was the only popular tragedy in recent memory I can think of. That and Pact share the same kind of structure, in that they're both stories about people who win all the battles while slowly loosing the war, and gradually become monsters in the process.

That said, what just happened to Blake isn't even really all that bad. Yes, his deal got interrupted, but Blake and Rose still determined that they have the capability to cooperate. Alister even understood it wasn't Blake's fault; He only ordered an attack to keep from looking weak. Next time Blake might even be able to negotiate without having a lance to his throat. He did avoid getting bound though, which I think might be a bigger deal than even he thinks.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The source for the ending/Twig/Worm2 information is a comment by Wildbow in the discussion section of 13.1.

My suspicion is that "Pact" will wrap up things without much closure, akin to Empire Strikes Back. I see "Twig" as the direct sequel to Pact, just named differently for some reason. My guess is that Twig begins with Blake in the Abyss for the third time after his demise/execution. Wildbow has introduced far too many things in this world, and far too many long-reaching conflicts, to let things end in a single arc. Offhand, there's the Conquest/Toronto kerfuffle (who's in control now that the Lord is missing?), the Rose/Blake conflict (though this one is probably going to see significant progress this chapter), Urr, the Lawyers (who, admittedly, may not come up again since they are only interested in servicing the needs of the Thorburn heir), and the Black Lamb's Blood redemption-of-humanity hook.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yeah, Blake really does have to end up in the Abyss again before the end for his third treatment. I imagine this ending is likely akin to how Leviathan arc in Worm brought the opening portions of it to a transition point.

Maybe the bell is going to be driving every other insane and they'll attack enough of the practitioners to force all of whomever remains into one camp. Something like that. I don't see Jacob's Bell continuing at the end as it has been.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pavlov posted:

I think Pact has had pretty good pacing since the Conquest arc ended. The thing is, Pact, like Worm, is in large part a tragedy. Real tragedies aren't really that common these days, but there's a lot of historical precedent for how they get plotted. Breaking Bad was the only popular tragedy in recent memory I can think of. That and Pact share the same kind of structure, in that they're both stories about people who win all the battles while slowly loosing the war, and gradually become monsters in the process.

The Sopranos has tragic overtones too.

I wish The Wire and, to a much lesser degree, Boardwalk Empire were popular enough to , well, count as popular. :smith:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I'll be honest, I don't watch much television, so there's probably some others out there. Tragedies are still pretty rare in modern media in comparison to the whole though. There's almost a stigma around the term, like people don't like to even use the word anymore. Often you'll see the word 'drama' where tragedy would be a lot more accurate. It's strange because "Comedy and Tragedy" used to be the main styles in western media, but people don't seem to admit to being part of the latter half anymore.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The Sopranos has tragic overtones too.

I wish The Wire and, to a much lesser degree, Boardwalk Empire were popular enough to , well, count as popular. :smith:

I read would read The Wire fan fiction all day long.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

New update. molly is a drat bell.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

According to the comments Twig isn't a Pact followup as many people had guessed.

We also found out Wildbow is deaf.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TOOT BOOT posted:

According to the comments Twig isn't a Pact followup as many people had guessed.

5-8 more arcs is a lot more arcs, particularly if 13 doesn't count as one.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Pavlov posted:

I'm of the other opinion, in that I'm still generally for how Pact's been going. I'm not sure where this perception of a lack of character development comes from. We've got better looks at Maggie, Rose, Blake's friends, the younger Thornburns, as well as a front-row seat to Blake's deteriorating sanity. Evan is still great, Green Eyes is almost as good, and Alister is a good replacement for Laird.

That said, what just happened to Blake isn't even really all that bad. Yes, his deal got interrupted, but Blake and Rose still determined that they have the capability to cooperate. Alister even understood it wasn't Blake's fault; He only ordered an attack to keep from looking weak. Next time Blake might even be able to negotiate without having a lance to his throat. He did avoid getting bound though, which I think might be a bigger deal than even he thinks.

The problem is less that everything goes bad for Blake and more with the pacing. The story never seems to slow down and new enemies pretty much jump out at the protagonist right after he manages to dispatch or subdue the previous ones. The ending of the Conquest arc is probably the most egregious example: just after defeating the incarnation, Blake persuades its vexed subordinates not to attack him, immediately proceeds with attacking Ur, getting defeated and thrown into the Drains. All in the span of one chapter. There is very little time left for the reader to calm down and process what just happened, because they immediately get treated with another crisis.

It doesn't help that the story is full of moments where Blake gets an upper hand and the enemy goes 'haha, nope', immediately regaining the lost advantage. For the reader, it's really hard to feel tense about the new enemy or relieved after the hero gets a major victory. Everything blurs into one, overwhelming crisis that starts around the second chapter and never shows any hope to improve. Imagine how "Worm" would look like if Behemoth showed up immediately after Slaughterhouse Nine, only to be immediately followed by Khonsu and Scion.

I still like "Pact", but it's much harder to read than "Worm".

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Because you said that with no context, I went and had a look, the 2 comments for reference are from 13-2 and are:

wildbow posted:

wildbow November 6, 2014 at 12:01 am
Hi guys.

Was super duper distracted today. I’m working on arranging a move, and that means utilities and setting up a wad of stuff, and all the appointments and phone calls I was expecting over the past week just happened to come up today. Water, electric, internet, a thing about my cochlear implant, my landlord is doing final touch-ups on my new place and wanted my preferences on interior design, and I had a call back from a friend who was going to help me move some stuff, and virtually all of it involved several steps (like double checking details or passing on messages to people, like my landlord).

In light of those calls and appointments, I’m sort of making a small adjustment, and moving the second donation chapter of this month from next week (the 13th) to the 20th. Long story short, I need internet set up in my new place, and they told me to be available between 8am and 5pm on the 13th to let the guys in to hook stuff up, but I’m moving to another town, and physically getting myself over there is… a bit of a task. I’m leaving a window of opportunity to just be there, lack of internet (and ability to write) or no, in case the landlord can’t arrange something.

If the 2k benchmark is somehow hit, then the third chapter for the month will be on the 27th. It’s more likely the 2k is just going to absorb anything in excess of the more typical 2 bonus chapters a month.

TL;DR: Next Thursday chapter on the 20th, not 13th!

Votes on topwebfiction are appreciated, as ever:

http://topwebfiction.com/vote.php?for=pact

And, as always, thanks for reading. You guys are great!

wildbow posted:

wildbow November 6, 2014 at 12:40 am
Also, in response to rampant commentary on what I considered a more or less innocuous sidenote on my last post-chapter report, in terms of Pact ending, Twig, and Worm2…

The goal, stated almost from the beginning, was for Pact to be about half the length that Worm was. Now, in terms of wordcount, I think it’s already past that point, but in terms of the number of chapters/arcs, we’re only getting closer to that endpoint.

My personal feeling is that, well, real life sort of got in the way during the early part of Pact – my mom was (and still is) in the hospital an awful lot, and my brother had a very logistically complicated wedding way out in the middle of nowhere, and there was a bunch of other minor stuff. I’d actually planned to move in April and I’m only getting underway now, which maybe says a lot.

But the long and short of it is I sort of struggled to find my stride, in the midst of it all. I like Pact’s world, but because I was off kilter for so much of the writing, I feel like key parts drag on too long and it took far, far too long to get to the meat of the story. I don’t know that it’s quite in the position where I’d really want to sit down and edit it, short of a publisher reaching out to me and expressing interest in doing something with it.

I enjoy writing Pact, and I enjoy the comments and I love the commentary. But when I look at the whole, I feel like I could do better. In contrast to Worm, the writing in Worm was rougher, but it was, barring a few rough patches, the best work I could put out with the skills I had at the time. Worm as a whole feels more like a whole than Pact does, if that makes any sense.

So that’s my thinking in terms of Pact and putting Pact to rest. I don’t want to rush it, though I’ll be glad to move on to something fresh that I can put my all into, with minimal distractions, and it may well be that Pact needs 5 more arcs or 6 or 8, to tie up the loose ends and come together. It ends when it needs to end, no sooner, but we’re approaching that point.

I do plan to return to the Pactverse, but Twig won’t be that return (I’m surprised at how many people think Twig will be more Pact).

Interesting about how even he's not happy with how the pacing has gone.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nettle Soup posted:

Because you said that with no context, I went and had a look, the 2 comments for reference are from 13-2 and are:

Interesting about how even he's not happy with how the pacing has gone.

The world is fantastic though. :ohdear:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

The problem is less that everything goes bad for Blake and more with the pacing. The story never seems to slow down and new enemies pretty much jump out at the protagonist right after he manages to dispatch or subdue the previous ones. The ending of the Conquest arc is probably the most egregious example: just after defeating the incarnation, Blake persuades its vexed subordinates not to attack him, immediately proceeds with attacking Ur, getting defeated and thrown into the Drains. All in the span of one chapter. There is very little time left for the reader to calm down and process what just happened, because they immediately get treated with another crisis.

It doesn't help that the story is full of moments where Blake gets an upper hand and the enemy goes 'haha, nope', immediately regaining the lost advantage. For the reader, it's really hard to feel tense about the new enemy or relieved after the hero gets a major victory. Everything blurs into one, overwhelming crisis that starts around the second chapter and never shows any hope to improve. Imagine how "Worm" would look like if Behemoth showed up immediately after Slaughterhouse Nine, only to be immediately followed by Khonsu and Scion.

I still like "Pact", but it's much harder to read than "Worm".

You do have a point that the pacing isn't perfect. I think most of that has to do with superfluous action scenes. For instance, just in this last chapter, the fight with the goblins was completely unnecessary. I thought the fight was ok by itself, but too many fights like that wear a bit thin, as well as taking up most of the chapter they're in.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, I was reading through today's goblin fight thinking 'well, it sure is nice getting to know Green Eyes and Evan and have some character interwaaaaaiiiit why the gently caress is there yet another fight?

Seriously, these characters need some time to grow.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, I was reading through today's goblin fight thinking 'well, it sure is nice getting to know Green Eyes and Evan and have some character interwaaaaaiiiit why the gently caress is there yet another fight?

Seriously, these characters need some time to grow.

But we got more of the two best characters.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Seriously though that goblin fight was real dumb and unnecessary. I would think its foreshadowing for maggie next big bad night but who knows what happened to that when she lost her name.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Only thing I can think of is Wildbow needed a way to get a couple of extra weapons into Blakes' hands. Seriously annoying way to do it though.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fellwenner posted:

Only thing I can think of is Wildbow needed a way to get a couple of extra weapons into Blakes' hands. Seriously annoying way to do it though.

This. That's the only effect of the goblin fight, so that has to be the point.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Grundulum posted:

This. That's the only effect of the goblin fight, so that has to be the point.

I assumed that was the point, but the fight really didn't need to be narrated. It would have been a good time for a cutaway to something more import, cutting back when the goblins were defeated. Or Wildbow could have pulled one of those 'and then we fought for a bit' like he did once in the house fight. Or, better yet, the goblins could have been less tough and Green Eyes could have continued trying to have a heart-to-heart through the whole thing.

I think part of this has to do with Wildbow literally writing most chapters in a two days, so what we're seeing is essentially a rough draft. Most of it feels like stream-of-consciousness writing with little time to look back and think if everything he just wrote is really necessary for the story. As much as I love 3 chapters a week, I feel like that kind of schedule might rush him too much.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Great chapter tonight. It's fun when wildbow gets a chance to play around with different formats. This chapter felt a lot like a Worm interlude, getting a bunch of different looks at characters and motivations. The events described were interesting. I guess we know why Blake needed all those weapons.

Also, I can no longer complain about fat fingers on an iOS keyboard. At least mine are flesh rather than wood.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So is this the second or third time Blake has offered the "young" members a chance to try and change their situation?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
This chapter reminded me a lot of the Worm interludes that were formatted like forum posts. Wildbow needs to do more writing like this; it really works well.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

TheRagamuffin posted:

This chapter reminded me a lot of the Worm interludes that were formatted like forum posts. Wildbow needs to do more writing like this; it really works well.

The Worm one was incredibly hard to parse the formatting and actually read. This chapter worked a lot better than the Worm forum posts chapter did.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
blake probably got a respectable fear-boost when he jumped into the conversation like that

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

quote:

Penny[D]: I can’t say how proud I am that nobody spoke up to give you any names, after the chat was unsilenced.

[Th]Blake: I have seven names.. I got private m essages while chat was silenced

:awesome:

My Girlfriend's Account
Aug 19, 2004
One of the best parts from this last chapter:

quote:

Penny[D]: I know its late and everyone is tired.

Penny[D]: I know tensions are high and we’re all worried about our families.

Craig[B]: combo break

Penny[D]: …What?

Just imagining that confusion and frustration that someone stopped her rule of threes attempt made me love Craig a little bit.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I don't really like Penny and I think Peter is dead on right about her if he isn't right about the whole lot of them.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Blake seemed much more imposing in this chat. Bogeymanish. And I love that he straight up asked for a hit list and then got it.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I hope we learn more about how getting Foresworn works. From what I gather, any statement with "I will" or similar is essentially treated as an oath. Breaking an oath allows others to declare you Foresworn. But someone still needs to actually do it and presumably the spirits need to arbitrate if it counts. Also assuming there is a downside to just going around declaring every practicioner you meet Foresworn; probably the spirits getting really pissed with you.

So at some point Rose 'swore' that she would not induct her children in the practicioner business and this is the reason she picks an heir from the grandchildren. But why bother? Could she not just pick one of her direct children on her deathbed? I would wager it doesn't really matter if you break an oath literal minutes before your death? On the other hand there have been hints of the actual existence of an afterlife, so maybe practicioner either know or don't really want to risk reprisal in there.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Namarrgon posted:

I hope we learn more about how getting Foresworn works. From what I gather, any statement with "I will" or similar is essentially treated as an oath. Breaking an oath allows others to declare you Foresworn. But someone still needs to actually do it and presumably the spirits need to arbitrate if it counts. Also assuming there is a downside to just going around declaring every practicioner you meet Foresworn; probably the spirits getting really pissed with you.

So at some point Rose 'swore' that she would not induct her children in the practicioner business and this is the reason she picks an heir from the grandchildren. But why bother? Could she not just pick one of her direct children on her deathbed? I would wager it doesn't really matter if you break an oath literal minutes before your death? On the other hand there have been hints of the actual existence of an afterlife, so maybe practicioner either know or don't really want to risk reprisal in there.

Breaking an oath is bad karma regardless of being declared foresworn, and the last thing she wants to do is drop even more bad karma on her successor.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It seems like if a powerful enough dude declares you foresworn, it can properly gently caress You Up, vis, Conquest and Fell's family. Also, karma.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Hmm yeah karma seems like a good reason to even be careful with oaths you feel you can get away with breaking, for example by declaring them where you are positive that nobody able to call you out on it could hear it.

Although I suppose there is no real point to those oaths either.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
New chapter up, in which Wildbow pays homage to Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

someone in the comments posted:

Following the Scott Pilgrim parallel, I’d say that Landon is Gideon Gordon Graves due to the mind control, Eric and Stan are Kyle and Ken Katayanagi due to being brothers, I figure a pyromancer would be a thematically appropriate opponent for Green Eyes, and thus can parallel Roxanne Richter in fighting Blake’s girlfriend, and finally we have the Benevolent guy as… Todd Ingram. The Vegan, who’s brought down by threefold acts of impurity.

Plus they both take place in Canada, right?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Heh, yeah, hadn't noticed that.

Is it just me or did that go... disappointingly quickly? It's like 'here are some scary dudes I'll have to maybe spennd a few chapters fighting wait nope two of them are dead by the end of this chapter. I can't help but wonder whether he's radically misjudged how difficult some of them will be to take down.

Also, did anyone else notice that the spellbinder guy bound his wife's 'mind and bodies' - bodies, plural. I can't see how that can be a typo, so it sounds like she's got something unusual going on...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As much as Joyce is trying to minimize the situation, it's pretty clear being a Duchamp is rolling the loving dice on your fate. They've married in 10 practitioners in the last few generations unsavory enough that at least one of the Duchamps is totally willing to call a hit on them? In what, 2 generations? And as far as I can tell there's only a few dozen Duchamps out there. I wouldn't want those odds of the dice coming up snake eyes. Sandra's lucky, her little divine tragedy hardly harmed her at all.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, did anyone else notice that the spellbinder guy bound his wife's 'mind and bodies' - bodies, plural. I can't see how that can be a typo, so it sounds like she's got something unusual going on...

Twin bodies, shared mind? Seems a little bit x-men, but who knows.

I wonder what sort of pact started the Duchamp legacy. It only sounds a little less insidious than the Thorburns' deal. At least the Thorburn line kept its ill effects concentrated to one nuclear family at a time (until Grandma hosed up).

The Behaims are conservative and powerhungry but at least they don't seem to have bound their lineage into some double-edged magical pact beyond "don't squander the family fortune". Then again, there is the whole "give up subjective hours of your life regularly" thing but that's less of a price and more of an investment.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
New chapter up, and it includes some Death From Above!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how long do you think it will take for all of blake's enemies to band together to try to wipe him out? i think it would be pretty clear by now that he's got some serious fuckin mojo, some je ne sais quoi that makes him incredibly dangerous just as a person who exists.

i mean seriously. he survived the jacob's bell killbox, he survived tangling with an incarnation, he survived taking on demonic threats with suicidally little time for preparation, he escaped the abyss in a matter of weeks. even as a prodigy, this doesn't add up. he's been active in the magical world for only a couple months. he should not be able to do this. even this matter of all of the existing powers in the region not making GBS threads their pants at the fact that he's still running loose should be a reason for suspicion.

i'm not saying that he does in fact even have this invisible invincibility; just that it's surprising nobody is suspecting that he's got some world-class ace up his sleeve by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tollymain posted:

how long do you think it will take for all of blake's enemies to band together to try to wipe him out? i think it would be pretty clear by now that he's got some serious fuckin mojo, some je ne sais quoi that makes him incredibly dangerous just as a person who exists.

i mean seriously. he survived the jacob's bell killbox, he survived tangling with an incarnation, he survived taking on demonic threats with suicidally little time for preparation, he escaped the abyss in a matter of weeks. even as a prodigy, this doesn't add up. he's been active in the magical world for only a couple months. he should not be able to do this. even this matter of all of the existing powers in the region not making GBS threads their pants at the fact that he's still running loose should be a reason for suspicion.

i'm not saying that he does in fact even have this invisible invincibility; just that it's surprising nobody is suspecting that he's got some world-class ace up his sleeve by now.

They probably wouldn't have been afraid of a girl who could control mosquitos either. :(

• Locked thread