Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

The Dream Theater guy's keytar was made by this dude, who calls his product the "Zen Riffer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

tacodaemon posted:

"Zen Riffer"

ugggggggggghhhhhh

Dirt
May 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

I'm going to treat you all as a focus group now.... I noticed that a few people here seem to have a craving for a three p-90 guitar. What sort of neck would everyone prefer on such a thing (ie. Scale length, headstock style, neck/fretboard wood, binding etc) and what sort of body type?

My dream guitar:

If I could design one:

I'd want semi hollow ES-339 style body, with 3 P90's. Wraparound PRS style bridge. Gibson style headstock. Maple neck carved like a musicman Axis super sport's shape, with the same oil/wax finish on the back of the neck, ebony fretboard and a 24.75" scale length. No neck binding but rolled edges like the Axis has. No idea what color. Body wood doesn't matter.

I wonder what that would cost to get a dude to make that for me?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

The guitar I can see most as a 3 P90 is just a standard ES-355, but I would probably just use an HSP90 and Humbucker (maybe with a coil split) like I do on my LPs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

tacodaemon posted:

The Dream Theater guy's keytar was made by this dude, who calls his product the "Zen Riffer"

why are there only two octaves on those

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I've always wondered what a five-way H-S-H configuration with two PAFs and a soapbar P-90 would be like.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
remember when pirate rap was sung by actual pirates?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

remember when pirate rap was sung by actual pirates?

http://youtu.be/n327ncoU_ZU

Hell ya, I do.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

why are there only two octaves on those

Obvioulsy you need all three, both hands and the dude looks so happy because he finally found a use for his penis.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

shiksa posted:

i dunno if its just me but i think bigsby tailpieces are dumb as poo poo. theyre just so big and chunky and look out of place on anything that isn't a big hollowbody guitar.
:thejoke:

Dirt posted:

My dream guitar:

:awesome:

AchtungBaby posted:

Faustus, please tell me: what are the best tonewoods on a modern electric guitar?
:munch:

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

tacodaemon posted:

I've always wondered what a five-way H-S-H configuration with two PAFs and a soapbar P-90 would be like.

Holy poo poo

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
probably not super amazing due to the fact that the middle single coil is basically already useless (imo) and only exists to complement split positions. it would overpower the weak split humbuckers very easily unless it was a very weak pickup itself

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

AchtungBaby posted:

Faustus, please tell me: what are the best tonewoods on a modern electric guitar?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi, guys!
I just voted, I feel really great.

When I used the word "tonewoods" I admit I definitely misspoke. What I meant was that there are different species and grades of basswood and the original JEMs and USA Customs definitely got the better woods.
Again, while Stux makes some decent points, he's wrong about RGs just being cheap JEMs or vice-versa. Even when the new Ibanez line came out in the beginning, that wasn't true. Like I said, the RGs you could buy back then had fret-ends you'd shred your fretting hand on like a cheese grater.
The JEMs from that time come out on top in terms of materials whether Stux wants to concede that or doesn't (b-b-but they come from the same factory!) as if guitar factories don't sort their woods by several qualitative characteristics and use them for different tiers of instruments based on those characteristics, and charge accordingly.

I said "tonewoods" but I really just meant that the wood that wasn't as light, or as bright, or had certain other acoustic properties or lack of flaws were chosen for the pricier models and the rest was sorted and used from everything from a nice $1,000.oo RG or S-series to the bargain-basement RG/Amp/Chord/Tuner/Picks all-in-one-box starter set on the floor of MARS Music. Don't think for moment those instruments are actually comparable, or ever could be.

All manufacturers do this and it presents as a noticeable, measurable difference in the quality of each tier of instrument. As I said, I've played tons of Ibanezes. I've played a bunch of RG550s from the same period that are heavy as hell, dark, and clearly cheaper for a reason. I've played RG750s and 770s from the same time period and they were noticeably lighter and brighter and sustained longer. I could go on, but no one wants that.
You'll find the exact same situation from any other large manufacturer of guitars. That's why I didn't recommend cheap Fenders, even as starter guitars.

So, I do apologize for mis-speaking. I am sorry, it was a mistake.
I guess I really do think of my own Ibanezes as having "tonewoods" because of they way they sound unplugged. I only bought the ones that resonated against my chest like acoustics might. They had bright, in-your-face pick attack, good lows; and they didn't sound dark or plastic-y. The difference is real, it's extant, and it's important to me. If they didn't have that acoustic tone I just put them back.

I do have one guitar that's kinda special in terms of woods, though: it's the USA Custom Exotic Wood which is a mahogany body with a thick flame-maple top, and a great one-piece bolt-on bird's-eye maple neck with the fat volute behind the nut. It's a very cool combination. It's not very heavy, it's not dark, it sustains for days, and it's freaking gorgeous. Also, I think both of my Swamp-ash instruments count as tonewood guitars, because despite being less dense and sometime warmer or darker, the two I took home have that fullness but still sound (unplugged) very loud and bright.

Previous posts: I absolutely loved the JEM with the Bigsby, but with the Bigsby + headless I almost choked laughing. But Putty is right about one thing: I'd love to have a JEM with one of those fat Ibanez hard-tail bridges instead of some floating trem. I don't want floating trems anymore except to just give a subtle vibrato to a pretty chord, like Andy Timmons does.

Also, gently caress Your Website's post about the Faust from the play is onto something. A lot of something.

Thanks, gnarlyhotep for the kind words.

I'm not going to bother with The Ramones stuff, let's just say no one sees me as a Ramones fan; and I don't think it proves the point. I've heard Ramones bootlegs. I'll leave it there.

I hope you all voted!

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

tacodaemon posted:

Hahahahahahhaha, those are terrible. Going to get some cheapass keyboard and some even cheaper wood and make one some day.

Synonamess Botch posted:

24" scale, rosewood fingerboard, solid or semihollow. Individual pickup switches with the ability to run them in or out of phase. I would be all over that like white on rice. gently caress it give me a varitone and 1 meg pots while we're in wishing territory.

I don't know why more guitars aren't done in 24" scale, people really like playing it when they get their hands on one (unless they've got giant hands)

I love me some 1meg pots (I can actually get 1meg pots for super-cheap as they are made in the UK, yay! They are only the 'snap-off' type though). Is varitone the thing that's just a rotary switch with different caps? Never come across one in the wild but I've thought about making something similar.

Dirt posted:

I'd want semi hollow ES-339 style body, with 3 P90's. Wraparound PRS style bridge. Gibson style headstock. Maple neck carved like a musicman Axis super sport's shape, with the same oil/wax finish on the back of the neck, ebony fretboard and a 24.75" scale length. No neck binding but rolled edges like the Axis has. No idea what color. Body wood doesn't matter.

I wonder what that would cost to get a dude to make that for me?

ES-339's are the smaller version of the ES-335 aren't they? Again, not something I've seen in person, probably wouldn't be too hard to knock up. No idea what a Axis super-sport finish is like, their website says "Gun Oil and special wax", which doesn't help much.

Fun-fact about Semi-acoustic Gibsons; They are all made using Plywood/'Maple Laminate'.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

tacodaemon posted:

Like muike said, probably wouldn't sound too good. It MIGHT sound interesting if they were wired in series though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if you want a p90, you WANT a p90, and you don't want a humbucker or anything getting in the way, so why put it in the middle

Dirt
May 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

ES-339's are the smaller version of the ES-335 aren't they? Again, not something I've seen in person, probably wouldn't be too hard to knock up. No idea what a Axis super-sport finish is like, their website says "Gun Oil and special wax", which doesn't help much.

Fun-fact about Semi-acoustic Gibsons; They are all made using Plywood/'Maple Laminate'.

Yeah the 339 is the smaller 335 style.

The Axis neck is "unfished". It just has wax and oil on it, so it basically a "raw maple" neck, with wax and oil rubbed on it. No Poly or anything. Feels amazing. They are also a weird shape, I've never played another guitar with that same neck shape.

Warmoth makes a neck like it:

It's a Eddie Van Halen thing I guess. It's comfortable as gently caress though.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

muike posted:

if you want a p90, you WANT a p90, and you don't want a humbucker or anything getting in the way, so why put it in the middle

Does anyone even use the middle pickup on it's own? Ever?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Have you ever seen Stef Carpenter from the Deftone's sig guitars? They all have the bridge/middle pickup combination with no neck pickup. I think he literally never ever uses it and just likes the way it looks.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

I'm afraid of a good P90. I know how transparent and loud and bright they are. I struggle so hard to play cleanly and I wonder if those pickups (which sound awesome, as long as you can wrestle them) would sound good with my tube rig or my other gear.

What do you guys think of the P90+single coil that fits in a humbucker rout but can be run as a humbucker, a single, or a P90 depending on wiring/switching. Looks pretty amazing. I think it's a Seymour Duncan.

Do P90s take distortion well or should that be avoided?

White Dog Eggs posted:

O, definitely, dude. A DiMarzio Blue Velvet (or the new True Velvet, which replaces it) both have a very cool Tele-like twang. They're a bit thin but sometimes, in an ensemble, you want that. I use it a lot when the rest of the band is rocking and I don't want to step on anyones' sonic toes.

VVV Thanks, muike. VVV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 5, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you need to run tons of gain through p90s because that is the best way to use them and any other pickup. you are thinking of a seymour duncan, btw, and i've heard they're pretty solid

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

Yeah the 339 is the smaller 335 style.

The Axis neck is "unfished". It just has wax and oil on it, so it basically a "raw maple" neck, with wax and oil rubbed on it. No Poly or anything. Feels amazing. They are also a weird shape, I've never played another guitar with that same neck shape.

Warmoth makes a neck like it:

It's a Eddie Van Halen thing I guess. It's comfortable as gently caress though.

I oil-finish my necks by default because it's pretty easy to do and it's a great way to let someone know that they are holding a hand-made guitar, people go wild for it. 'Gun Oil' could be anything, the ingredients vary by manufacturer, they are usually tung-oil based though.

Asymmetric necks are sweet, I had a go at building one when I first started out, it didn't end well though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

I oil-finish my necks by default because it's pretty easy to do and it's a great way to let someone know that they are holding a hand-made guitar, people go wild for it. 'Gun Oil' could be anything, the ingredients vary by manufacturer, they are usually tung-oil based though.

Asymmetric necks are sweet, I had a go at building one when I first started out, it didn't end well though.

You'd think asymmetrical would be the easiest when first starting out.

"It's supposed to be like that" :colbert:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

You see that pickup config on 60's Japanese guitars quite often, only with single coils. I guess you could sort-of count Danelectro's too, their neck pickups are positioned pretty low down.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Gain, lots of nasty-rear end gain. P-90's are pretty much my favourite pickup, I love that angry bite they get. I am a terrible player though.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 5, 2014

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

tacodaemon posted:

Every single one of those has been up that guy's rear end

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

It occurred to me today that I kinda like the body shape of those Music Man Eddie Van Halen guitars from the '90s. Anyone else?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

Oil finish is the way to go. I took all the finish of my beautiful antigua strat, and it feels soooo much nicer.

tacodaemon posted:

It occurred to me today that I kinda like the body shape of those Music Man Eddie Van Halen guitars from the '90s. Anyone else?

They are awesome guitars. Musicman still makes them, they are just called "Axis" now instead of Wolfgang's.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

Dr. Faustus posted:

do you have a big muff

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

Speaking of oil-finished necks, I sent a question to HoshinoUSA (the service guy who took care of my new JEM when it needed help) and the question was basically this:

The early guitars, the ones that had that rough texture on the back of the neck. Could you tell me how they were finish-sanded and sealed? This was his answer. He mentions oil but not what exact oil:

quote:

Hey Faustus,

Glad to hear you enjoy the work we did!

Many of our MIJ electric guitars from the mid- to late-eighties had oil finishes. That’s probably what you have on the JEM77’s and RG770. They likely would’ve been sanded to a final grit of either 220 or 320 prior to finishing.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Cool HoshinoUSA guy.

What kind of oil do you think would properly seal a neck under those conditions? Tung oil? Something else? I don't know a drat thing about oil finishing of necks because most necks I know of are varnished or sealed with thick lacquer or varnish or something, and I hate that feeling.

26 years later my two rough Ibanez necks are smooth as silk on the back from my hands on them (I miss the roughness but won't mess with the patina) but if you like that feel, this might be helpful info.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Gain, lots of nasty-rear end gain. P-90's are pretty much my favourite pickup, I love that angry bite they get.
This is my next project, then. Thanks for the input.

Fax Sender posted:

do you have a big muff
You mean a Big Muff Pi distortion? I'm assuming that's what you mean. Yes, I do; but it's dead. It was given to me by a friend and I had hoped to fix it but I forgot all about it once it ended up deep in a box in my closet.
I'm sure the woofiness of a Muff is something I'm into. Why do you ask?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 5, 2014

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

Dr. Faustus posted:

You mean a Big Muff Pi distortion? I'm assuming that's what you mean. Yes, I do; but it's dead. It was given to me by a friend and I had hoped to fix it but I forgot all about it once it ended up deep in a box in my closet.
I'm sure the woofiness of a Muff is something I'm into. Why do you ask?

p90 pickups + big muff is a really good combination is all.

also

ummm, kinda thinking of building a flying v with p90 type pickups and a cow print finish. uh

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

WDE what would you charge for a guitar with a body like the brown splotch of the Charles Chips potato chip logo?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

White Dog Eggs posted:

My Strat (which is pretty much my main gig guitar due to its versatility) has 3 single-coil Lace Sensor pickups in it in a weird sort of configuration.

Bridge = Red = High output humbucker
Mid = (Light?) Blue = Mid output PAF
Neck = Purple = P90

I've got the bridge and neck pickups wired into the (no-load) middle tone control in a 'blend' configuration so I can dial any ratio of either pickup into each other, or a combination of both (or neither) into the middle blue-only setting.

I use the Blue by itself fairly often, I screwed it a little further down into the pick guard than recommended to lower the output a bit, but yeah, by itself it sounds properly snarly and crunchy. The Red is, well it's a high output humbucker but that Purple, by GOD the Purple is the most evil nasty sumbitch and I love it, to the point I'm thinking of building another Strat with a pair of Purples, one in the neck and one in the bridge.

White Dog Eggs posted:

P-90's are pretty much my favourite pickup, I love that angry bite they get.
My favorite guitar is a LP with a pair of P90's in it and yeah, I love the loving things. They respond well to ANY amount of gain, they're ultra-tweakable with both height adjustment as well as the individual pole pieces (you can make them 'chime' or 'thunk'), I've used them with every style from classic rock, jazz, metal, whatever. The big thing with P90s is, even moreso than standard single-coils is that you MUST shield them REALLY well, or trust your noise gate implicitly. Noisy. As. gently caress.

But so, so very worth it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Fax Sender posted:

p90 pickups + big muff is a really good combination is all.

also

ummm, kinda thinking of building a flying v with p90 type pickups and a cow print finish. uh

i almost bought a gibson v from a guy that just had a single p90 in the bridge but i never went through with it

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

That was EXACTLY my thinking "Well the last two necks were a bit wonky before I sorted them out, so this if I make it asymmetric on purpose it'll be awesome!". Nope. I think it's helping to prop a table up atm.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Speaking of oil-finished necks, I sent a question to HoshinoUSA (the service guy who took care of my new JEM when it needed help) and the question was basically this:

The early guitars, the ones that had that rough texture on the back of the neck. Could you tell me how they were finish-sanded and sealed? This was his answer. He mentions oil but not what exact oil:

What kind of oil do you think would properly seal a neck under those conditions? Tung oil? Something else? I don't know a drat thing about oil finishing of necks because most necks I know of are varnished or sealed with thick lacquer or varnish or something, and I hate that feeling.

26 years later my two rough Ibanez necks are smooth as silk on the back from my hands on them (I miss the roughness but won't mess with the patina) but if you like that feel, this might be helpful info.

Could have been anything. Tung Oil would have been my guess, but they could have been something like Danish Oil. 320 is really loving low though, I sand mine up to 2000 grit then get busy with wire wool and polish. They get super-slick, it's awesome.

I had a few minutes free today, so I pulled this body out of my 'B' pile and chucked in some stupidly low resistance lipstick pickups (3.3 and 3.5k) I got for pennies off ebay.

It looks ok in the photo, but the template slipped when I routed the shape, so it's pretty wonky. Slapped on a £20 mystery telecaster neck and I'm probably going to use tele-style controls with a 4-way to switch between series and parallel wiring. I dare say it'll sound terrible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

As a person who grew up in the 80s and 90s I am sad you young people are reduced to listening to the good music I listened to 20 years ago.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

iostream.h posted:

I use the Blue by itself fairly often, I screwed it a little further down into the pick guard than recommended to lower the output a bit, but yeah, by itself it sounds properly snarly and crunchy.
This is such an awesome post. Sorry I only picked the one little bit of it:

That's a really cool wiring. I don't know enough about p90s (yet!) but I do know that I only build/buy 3-pickup guitars and the only reason is versatility for price. That middle pickup often says, "Play me!!" even if as a guitarist you think, "O man this is so thin and weak." Sometimes, in a band situation, that's totally appropriate, because if the way it cuts through the mix.

I gotta find that old Big Muff Pi in the box in the closet and see if I can have it fixed. It's so old, the caps are probably all dried to death.

O I forgot:
My Dad is a musician, and he has more rigid rules about guitar stuff than I do.
One of his invocations is like this: "You lower the pickup all the way. Then you raise it until the sound starts to color. Then you back off and leave it there."
I don't always follow his rule, but I often do.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 5, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dr. Faustus posted:

You'll find the exact same situation from any other large manufacturer of guitars. That's why I didn't recommend cheap Fenders, even as starter guitars.

I like strats and have played a lot of USA and MiM ones, and have seen nothing to really indicate as such. The only difference is sometimes the amount of pieces used, unless we are talking custom shop or some special run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

My Strat (which is pretty much my main gig guitar due to its versatility) has 3 single-coil Lace Sensor pickups in it in a weird sort of configuration.

Bridge = Red = High output humbucker
Mid = (Light?) Blue = Mid output PAF
Neck = Purple = P90

I've got the bridge and neck pickups wired into the (no-load) middle tone control in a 'blend' configuration so I can dial any ratio of either pickup into each other, or a combination of both (or neither) into the middle blue-only setting.

I use the Blue by itself fairly often, I screwed it a little further down into the pick guard than recommended to lower the output a bit, but yeah, by itself it sounds properly snarly and crunchy. The Red is, well it's a high output humbucker but that Purple, by GOD the Purple is the most evil nasty sumbitch and I love it, to the point I'm thinking of building another Strat with a pair of Purples, one in the neck and one in the bridge.

My favorite guitar is a LP with a pair of P90's in it and yeah, I love the loving things. They respond well to ANY amount of gain, they're ultra-tweakable with both height adjustment as well as the individual pole pieces (you can make them 'chime' or 'thunk'), I've used them with every style from classic rock, jazz, metal, whatever. The big thing with P90s is, even moreso than standard single-coils is that you MUST shield them REALLY well, or trust your noise gate implicitly. Noisy. As. gently caress.

But so, so very worth it.

P-90's sound AWESOME on a Fender scale, the Squier Tele Customs II with the P-90's sound great with the stock pickups and they are like £200 new. Scary good for the money.

• Locked thread