Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Sam. posted:

I'm looking for something with sandboxy gameplay similar to Liberal Crime Squad (preferably with a better interface). Doesn't have to be a roguelike. Does anything like that exist?

While the request is kind of vague as to what you're actually looking for, I can think of a few games that could fit your criteria. If you want a sandbox with a lot of political elements, the Paradox grand strategy games such as Crusader Kings 2, or Europa Universalis IV are both really good. If you want more of a roguelike sandbox, the two best games I can think of are Tales of Maj'Eyal, which is on Steam, and Cataclysm: Dark Days ahead, which is a post apocalyptic roguelike survival sandbox. Unreal World is also a roguelike sandbox, but it really has more of an emphasis on survival than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangry jeep
Apr 27, 2004

One of my favorite games was actually a browser game called warring factions that was created by a goon that a bunch of us played a long time ago. I'd like to find something else similar to it. It's like a space game where you explore systems and planets, colonize, and micro manage colonies while also researching tech for better weapons, shields, farms, drives, etc and fight. Any ideas?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Master of Orion 2.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I have an iPhone, and I love Sorcery and Kings of Dragon Pass. Are there any other games on the iOS like these?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

prometheusbound2 posted:

I have an iPhone, and I love Sorcery and Kings of Dragon Pass. Are there any other games on the iOS like these?

80 days.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
(crossposted from the Vita thread)

Anyone have opinions on the best Harvest Moon game for Vita? Options are
(PS1) Harvest Moon: Back to Nature,
(PSP) Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley,
(PSP) Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl, and
(PSP) Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon.

I know some Harvest Moon games have some light dungeon/combat elements but I've got no preference either for or against that. Monster fights would be cool but I'm also totally into a pure farming game, so either way works.

I think I remember Back to Nature on PS1 being good, but the sci-fi one sounds interesting too and I just have no idea at all about the other two PSP games. If anyone's got any insight I'd love to hear it.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I just got a Vita, and I have the urge to play something like Monster Hunter. Which of the "action-hunting-adventure-rpgs" should I play?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Jester Mcgee posted:

I just got a Vita, and I have the urge to play something like Monster Hunter. Which of the "action-hunting-adventure-rpgs" should I play?

I like Soul Sacrifice Delta. It's digital only in the states. It's very good.

Freedom Wars just came out and is only $30, check out some reviews. I'm going to be buying it soon.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Are there any recentish Wipeout-style games for PC? I tried playing the original Wipeout XL in a ps emulator but I'm kind of a graphics whore and as good as it was at the time it looks like poo poo now

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Recommend me halloween games for PC that I can play with a controller on my TV (no FPS, I can't play those with a controller).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Torka posted:

Are there any recentish Wipeout-style games for PC? I tried playing the original Wipeout XL in a ps emulator but I'm kind of a graphics whore and as good as it was at the time it looks like poo poo now

There's Radial-G (which has some Oculus Rift support :stare:)
http://radial-g.com/
Its on steam and seems decent but not amazing.

There's a kickstarted game called Distance that looks a little different but pretty similar and very good:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1857884659/distance-a-next-generation-arcade-racer

There's a game being made by ex-wipeout devs called formula fusion
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/26/total-wipeout-formula-fusion/

And then personally the one that looks best to me is this game Red:Out
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/23/redout-trailer/
Still in alpha but looks absolutely beautiful and even more wipeout than the previously mentioned games.

That should have you covered!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Boz0r posted:

Recommend me halloween games for PC that I can play with a controller on my TV (no FPS, I can't play those with a controller).

The Witcher 2! Upscales to modern graphics really well too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not sure how to phrase this, but I'm going to try my best.

I'm looking for a moba that isn't a Dota-like, nor 2D like awesomenauts, I want something casual enough that I don't have to spend super long times playing games to have fun, but I do want a ton of movement and skill options that don't feel, "WoW-like." I'd like it to also be fairly active. Natural Selection 2 was close, but the community was almost dead. I like Warframe a lot but it's very difficult to stick with because of how long a lot of the missions take. Payday 2 has the same issue.

If I can drop in and out without ruining the game for my team, that'll be a huge plus.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I would say play Bloodline Champions, but I'm pretty sure there are only 50 people left on Earth still playing it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a moba that isn't a Dota-like, nor 2D like awesomenauts, I want something casual enough that I don't have to spend super long times playing games to have fun, but I do want a ton of movement and skill options that don't feel, "WoW-like." I'd like it to also be fairly active. Natural Selection 2 was close, but the community was almost dead. I like Warframe a lot but it's very difficult to stick with because of how long a lot of the missions take. Payday 2 has the same issue.

If I can drop in and out without ruining the game for my team, that'll be a huge plus.

Natural selection and payday aren't really MOBAs, do you mean just team based squad type stuff? Counterstrike:Global Offensive is good, lots of opportunity for hop in/out play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turtlicious posted:

"MOBA that isn't a DOTA-like" doesn't make sense because MOBAs are literally the DOTA-like genre, like how FPS is the Doom-like genre.

But if you just want team multiplayer games that you can drop in and out and have good times, Team Fortress 2? Monday Night Combat?

Also this, but its not out yet http://bethsoft.com/en-us/games/battlecry_game

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean what do you call things like Archebald, Smite, and Minimum then?

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Well Smite is clearly a MOBA, just from a 3rd person perspective. The other 2 just have elements of MOBA's but for the most part are completely different.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

For anyone looking for a Myst-like, "The Room" is pretty great 3D puzzle solving. It will take you 2 hours instead of a Myst-length game but it's cheap enough for two excellent hours of sliding levers and poo poo around (especially when it's on sale for a buck...)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I discovered Interplanetary the other day and had a chance to play a few games with mates. You start with a planet and build mines and power plants and lob railguns and missiles at each other across a solar systems. It's quite fun but it sadly doesn't have single player yet so your dependent on other people. It's also on sale right now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Turtlicious posted:

I am almost positive what you want is Nosgoth. I think you can buy into the beta for $1.64 right now but I am phoneposting and can't check. It has MOBA-esque mechanics but there are no creeps, no lanes, no towers. Its similar to Natural Selection 2 in the sense that both teams are completely different.

There's also Evolve and Depth (the shark game, pretty sure its called Depth) but I haven't played those.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tagra posted:

For anyone looking for a Myst-like, "The Room" is pretty great 3D puzzle solving. It will take you 2 hours instead of a Myst-length game but it's cheap enough for two excellent hours of sliding levers and poo poo around (especially when it's on sale for a buck...)

The sequel is fantastic also.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Have you tried Year Walk? It's creepy and just downright eerie in the sense that you don't really know what's going to happen next. Especially if you're adept at putting things together soon..

Dream might be good. There aren't any point and clickers around. I'd just surf through steam's "Walking Simulator" genre games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I am almost positive what you want is Nosgoth. I think you can buy into the beta for $1.64 right now but I am phoneposting and can't check. It has MOBA-esque mechanics but there are no creeps, no lanes, no towers. Its similar to Natural Selection 2 in the sense that both teams are completely different.

There's also Evolve and Depth (the shark game, pretty sure its called Depth) but I haven't played those.

For $4 you can get Nosgoth + Soul Reaver 1/2 and Blood Omen 2 until the Halloween sale is over.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Nosgoth might be what I want as well. Thanks.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Tagra posted:

Playing right now, thanks for the recommendation.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm looking for singleplayer PC games that can be played with minimal input over a long period of time.

A good example of what I'm looking for is Defcon on its real-time mode; a game that's played start to finish over the course of an entire real-time day that doesn't slow down or pause when you're not actually playing.

I would love some kind of extremely-slow paced city-builder. I'm not really looking for "idle" games, more of a real game that I can run in to the background while working on other tasks. Any ideas that aren't completely input-free like Progress Quest?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I'm looking for singleplayer PC games that can be played with minimal input over a long period of time.

A good example of what I'm looking for is Defcon on its real-time mode; a game that's played start to finish over the course of an entire real-time day that doesn't slow down or pause when you're not actually playing.

I would love some kind of extremely-slow paced city-builder. I'm not really looking for "idle" games, more of a real game that I can run in to the background while working on other tasks. Any ideas that aren't completely input-free like Progress Quest?

Far be it for me to recommend Godus but I remember reading the "balance file editor" was being integrated which is basically a tool that lets you modify all the timers in-game so you can play it at your own pace. I haven't played Godus but the only criticism (and it's major criticism, mind you) I've heard about the game is that it's structured as a traditional strategy game but with arbitrary real-time timers straight out of a mobile game so remove that one terrible element and maybe you have something decent?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You might enjoy Ogame.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
There's also neptune's pride.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crusader Kings 2 can be played like that if you keep it on the lowest speed setting - you can also configure which events will automatically pause the game, so if you want it to keep running no matter what it's fairly simple to set up.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

I've played the Anno series as kind of background noise. Remove combat or anything time sensitive (the last one allows you to do it, not sure about the rest) and establish a basic production chain and population center. Then leave it alone for half an hour, come back and tweak. Ocasionally go into a burst of activity and create another chain, expand an urban area with new supply routes or just check that your imputs and outputs are in equilibrium. Wait and recheck/tweak. Work on another supply chain, neighbourhood or what have you.

Chillest game I've ever seen.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have Godus and while I guess it's true that I could leave it running all day, there's not anything to do in the game besides what you manually do; place houses, move terrain around, etc. The only thing that happens while you're not actually touching the game is that resources go up. Your villages don't expand or grow on their own, your population doesn't actually do anything. Anno is a great game but it has the same problem for me as Godus. I guess what I really want is a game where things happen even when I'm not playing - not just negative things, but positive things too - that I can tab over to and make some long-term decisions or something from time to time.

Browser games like OGame are kind of cool and close to what I want, but my major concern with them is that they're focused around PVP/diplomacy metagame. I would prefer something singleplayer where I don't have to worry about other players.

CK2 is a great suggestion. I have it but I've never been able to get in to it because of the learning curve, this sounds like a good opportunity to learn it.

I thought of another great example of what I'm looking for: Distant Worlds, the real-time 4x space game where you can automate every facet of your empire. I can leave it running in the background and tab in every once in a while to make a decision about what planet to colonize, who to trade with, who to attack, or where to explore and let the AI handle the rest.

I'm have a hard time explaining exactly what I'm looking for. I just started a new job and I'm working from home doing relatively easy, mundane work and I want something singleplayer that I can play absentmindedly throughout the day for a few seconds at a time when I need a break, something that still progresses when I'm away but that isn't completely idle/zeroplayer. A roguelike that plays itself but I make decisions about how the character levels up, a citybuilder where the city expands on its own and I just make high-level policy changes, an RPG where I manage the party and their equipment but they adventure on their own. Something like that would be ideal.

As much as it might complicate things I'm looking for a 'real' game that does this, not a mobile/browser game full of microtransactions to speed things up.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 4, 2014

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Reus with god mode enabled fits pretty well I think.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
This is a bit of a tricky one. I'd like a game I can play with a group of friends. It should be something with permanent and interesting character advancement, not just some FPS unlock system. It would also be cool if we could build a base or somehow make a mark on things. I guess what I'd like is an MMO that is not bad (I've played FFXIV and while it's good it doesn't really fit).

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Crusader kings 2 in observer mode with the console sounds about right. With the console open, you can trigger other people's wars, switch characters and make them better/worse, create kingdoms and change religions, then leave it running very slow and come back to see what's happened to Europe fifty years later.

It's not playing the game normally, more of a 'see what the AI does to Europe' when you set up interesting characters and conflicts. You can pause and look around Europe for interesting stories as well, then follow it up, play for a while and console back to observer to see what happens to the grand kids.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any good boxing sims for PC, or do I have to dust off the PS3 or get a PS2 emulator?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

This is a bit of a tricky one. I'd like a game I can play with a group of friends. It should be something with permanent and interesting character advancement, not just some FPS unlock system. It would also be cool if we could build a base or somehow make a mark on things. I guess what I'd like is an MMO that is not bad (I've played FFXIV and while it's good it doesn't really fit).

Guild Wars 2 is an extremely approachable and casual MMO with good fun times co-op and no monthly fee, so its a good baby's first MMO or a good group MMO so you don't have to convince jimbo to buy into a subscription.

SWTOR is now free to play and actually has very cool story elements, you get to have group conversations mass-effect style. The endgame is kinda a mess and the free to play version tends to kinda prod you to pay them more money, but good times can be had for free and you can do even more if you're willing to toss in some money.

Build a base is a really cool idea but unfortunately almost no games currently let you do things like that. MMOs like Shadowbane and Star Wars Galaxies flirted with it, and have a huge niche following, but ultimately kinda fumbled. Everquest Next is probably the thing you're looking for, but its got another year or two of development before it'll be public.

Minecraft? Especially with the right mods, it could do what you're looking for. The experience of having a private server shared with a group of friends where you slowly build something is actually pretty powerful. And you can log in whenever and the world will continue to be how you guys shaped it, it grows organically with a team working on it over days and its pretty amazing what you end up with at the end. Pretty cheap to buy into and you can have a private server easy if one of you can host it or pay for it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Chas McGill posted:

Any good boxing sims for PC, or do I have to dust off the PS3 or get a PS2 emulator?

Best boxing sim I've seen lately is Fight Night on PS3, sorry. I don't think there is anything more modern that it's any good, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I want to play an RPG with a good storyline for PC. Nothing first or third person. I've already played all the infinity engine games numerous times and I don't really want to play anything that looks incredibly outdated.