Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It was the Civil War version of "Let us march into this desert land, we will be greeted as liberators," with even worse success.

If there's one thing history has taught me it's that the proper answer to desert adventurism is "gently caress that."

EDIT: This aslo goes for any country that has tundra which is just "Cold Desert."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rhymenoserous posted:

From my understanding the general rule of Tank Warfare was whoever sees the other guy first generally wins.

But then one needs to keep in mind that tank warfare, as warfare in general, mostly does not consist of mano a mano duels. When you have tank battalions at play a lot of other things play a much bigger role: numbers, command & control, experience, doctrine etc. Example: many early war tanks had no radios, making platoon level communication nigh impossible during combat. Worse, few early tanks had three man turrets where commanders could focus on their job, or cupolas that gave them a 360º view while buttoned up. Not that such things deliver well onto silver screen, just like movie soldiers really detest wearing helmets and proper uniforms in general because it's against the rules for all heroes to wear the identical costumes and even similar haircuts.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

But then one needs to keep in mind that tank warfare, as warfare in general, mostly does not consist of mano a mano duels. When you have tank battalions at play a lot of other things play a much bigger role: numbers, command & control, experience, doctrine etc. Example: many early war tanks had no radios, making platoon level communication nigh impossible during combat. Worse, few early tanks had three man turrets where commanders could focus on their job, or cupolas that gave them a 360º view while buttoned up. Not that such things deliver well onto silver screen, just like movie soldiers really detest wearing helmets and proper uniforms in general because it's against the rules for all heroes to wear the identical costumes and even similar haircuts.

All that are things that helps you mantain situational awareness, that helps you spot the other guys first, and

Rhymenoserous posted:

From my understanding the general rule of Tank Warfare was whoever sees the other guy first generally wins.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Also, planes beat tanks as the Germans found out a lot.

wdarkk posted:

Maximilian is kind of weird. According to the wikipedia page on him, the one about his execution is accurate :stare:

I love Emperor Maximilian, he is literally one of my favorite historical oddities.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Frankly that applies to any kind of fighting. Whether you're armed with your bare hands, a sword, a gun, or a tank if you can manage to place your enemy inside your engagement envelope without him knowing you're there, he's hosed. The first caveman to try sneaking up behind a guy before whacking him on the head with a rock figured that fucker out.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Technically empty fuel tanks beats tanks, cause planes have interdicted your supply lines. Planes really didnt hit tanks that much.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I wonder what a meeting between the Emperors Maximilian and Norton would have been like...

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

vuk83 posted:

Technically empty fuel tanks beats tanks, cause planes have interdicted your supply lines. Planes really didnt hit tanks that much.

From wikipedia, talking about Operation Goodwood;

quote:

The bombing put the 22nd Panzer Regiment and the III/503rd Heavy Panzer Battalion temporarily out of action, causing varying degrees of damage to their tanks. Some were overturned, some were destroyed and twenty were later found abandoned in bomb craters

Yup. When B-24s and B-17s drop 1340 long tons of bombs on your tanks, you're gonna have a bad time.

I remember reading about this when I was a kid in Hans von Luck's book, "Panzer Commander". It's a rather romanticized view of the war, but still enjoyable.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 5, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

vuk83 posted:

All that are things that helps you mantain situational awareness, that helps you spot the other guys first, and

When isolated from friendly forces, yes. The crucial point about letting tank commanders do commanding stuff and having radios is not that they help their individual tank win tank duels. It's that they can act as an element of the general formation consisting of other tanks and, in best case, supporting infantry trained to fight alongside tanks and also able to communicate with them (compatible radios, field telephone lines attached to tank rear etc.). When a battalion or regiment attacks it doesn't matter who fires the first shot, it's who fires the last shot.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
brb, going to war

so stoked to go to war right now

(On display: both kinds of infantryman and all three kinds of cav. Check out the little shelters for the common soldiers, with some muskets before each one, or pikes stuck upright in the ground. :3: I love this painting, the camp is so dang calm. Everything is as it should be, all is in its place, everyone is sedately enjoying the afternoon. Based on my research though, I just know the musketeer's all "Hey, you wanna go do something incredibly ill-advised?" and the pikeman's all "yeah")

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 5, 2014

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

So why is there not more popular interest in the period during which dudes on horseback in full plate armor wielded guns in both hands?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

P-Mack posted:

So why is there not more popular interest in the period during which dudes on horseback in full plate armor wielded guns in both hands?

As Hegel's posts often prove, a dearth of translated, legible and trustworthy primary sources. Sadly, there are few scholarly outlets for tales of people named "Euphronius" getting drunk off their hose and fighting horses.

It really depresses me when I think about how much stuff is never, ever going to be translated into my language or out of it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, it's very depressing to look at the wealth of Soviet archives unveiled in the 90s and realise that it will be decades before any meaningful amount of this information is available in English.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Don Gato posted:

I love Emperor Maximilian, he is literally one of my favorite historical oddities.

Max is really interesting, he comes from a long line of insulated european hereditary aristocrats, in a time when hereditary aristocrats are rapidly becoming obsolete in the face of capitalism and liberalism. He saw that he was part of an oppressive system, and genuinely wanted to reform it for the better. Unfortunately, he failed, and as a symbol of the monarchy he was killed, even if on some level he agreed with his killers.

It's one of those enlightened prince stories taken to its logical conclusion.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yes. A lot of people focus on gun caliber and armour thicknesses, but ignore the immense advantage that the first shot gives you. For instance, the Panther's nearly blind gunner would take as long as 30 seconds to dial in on a target, and this is after receiving its location from the commander. This is a crippling weakness, since at AT gun will always have the first shot on you. Carius wrote that if a tank fails to find and knock out that gun before the second shot, that tank is toast. He estimated that knocking out an AT gun was twice as hard as knocking out an enemy tank.

AT guns are why not having infantry accompany your tanks is loving Retarded.

Also does this mean that Kursk is even more unusual than I already think of it being, because the tanks engaged each other en masse? The way some pre-war theorists thought tank combat would be, and then it turned out not to be.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

quote:

both kinds of infantryman and all three kinds of cav.

What were the three kinds of cav in your era? Lancers, ritters, and dragoons?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 5, 2014

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Was Kursk even en masse as is often portrayed? It's often shown as such and there certainly were large numbers of tanks there on both sides, but wasn't the actual front a pretty big one as well?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MA-Horus posted:

Yup. When B-24s and B-17s drop 1340 long tons of bombs on your tanks, you're gonna have a bad time.

I remember reading about this when I was a kid in Hans von Luck's book, "Panzer Commander". It's a rather romanticized view of the war, but still enjoyable.
That's sort of a one-off, though. The rest of the time you'd have single/twin-engined Fighters and CAS aircraft dropping smaller bombs or strafing tanks, and in that context it's true that the tanks were defeated by their logistical tails being shot up, or being turned into "mission kills" when forced to button up and/or suffering mechanical failures from strafing damage that doesn't outright kill the tank, but disables it.

Slavvy posted:

Also does this mean that Kursk is even more unusual than I already think of it being, because the tanks engaged each other en masse? The way some pre-war theorists thought tank combat would be, and then it turned out not to be.

I would say yes, Kursk is a bit of an oddity in terms of both sides deliberately walking into it. The thing about American TDs, or "infantry support" tanks, or German "heavy breakthrough" tanks and other specialized tanks is that you make a tank that's really good at A Thing, then you deploy it to where you need it to do that thing - except wars and engagements never turn out that way so it turns out a more generalized "medium" tank that would eventually turn into the "main battle" tank was better because you can't count on your special tank being in the right place at the right time.

For Kursk, the Germans knew exactly where they wanted to attack and prepared for it for months, while the Russians knew exactly where the Germans were about to attack them and prepared for it for months, and you get these pitched battles between large amounts of tanks because all that prep time means both sides can commit their tanks to where they want to, when they want to.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Taerkar posted:

Was Kursk even en masse as is often portrayed? It's often shown as such and there certainly were large numbers of tanks there on both sides, but wasn't the actual front a pretty big one as well?

I did a google maps directions from Kirov at the top of that map to kharkov at the bottom and it is right about at 600 km apart and according to wikipedia between both sides you have almost 3 million men and 8,000 tanks participating in the battle.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What were the three kinds of cav in your era? Lancers, ritters, and dragoons?
Lancers, curiassiers/pistoleers, and arquebusiers. The dragoon is multiclassed infantry/cav, so since there are no dragoons in the picture, I guess we're still missing one. Take a look at the arquebusier's wheellock carbine, those things are so ill and they attach to the baldric with a nifty little clip, which looks just like a...

well, a carabiner. Would you look at that.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

As Hegel's posts often prove, a dearth of translated, legible and trustworthy primary sources. Sadly, there are few scholarly outlets for tales of people named "Euphronius" getting drunk off their hose and fighting horses.
I honestly don't think that's it. I think part of it is that we're not sure where the primary sources are (I really lucked out by going to Saxony, fifty years ago I may not have been able to do that as an American, or even have heard there was a lot of poo poo in Saxony)--but even so, people like Parker and Wilson have proven that there's a lot of poo poo out there, and they keep translating it and writing about it.

Most of it, I think, is that Americans feel little connection to the 17th century in the Empire. Which reminds me of another reason I'm lucky to be working when I am: since the Iraq war, everyone cares about mercenaries again, and we've begun thinking about privatized force as something more than a step on the way to the standing state army which was obviously the goal toward which all of this tended.

And have you guys never read the great works of military social history? There is a scholarly place for this--Daily Life of Johnny Reb/Billy Yank are full of the 19th century version of this poo poo. (So, still guys named "Euphronius," I guess. Which reminds me: one of my favorite anecdotes related to names is the time I found a dude named Mattheus, not because of the name itself, but because everyone, including official records, called him Maz. Only civilian testimony used his full given name.)

Edit:

P-Mack posted:

Not both hands, since you need a hand to hold the reins. Since you can't reload on horseback, the number of pistols you have is the number of shots you can take. Then you throw them at people (no, really. That was recommended).

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 5, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Branis posted:

I did a google maps directions from Kirov at the top of that map to kharkov at the bottom and it is right about at 600 km apart and according to wikipedia between both sides you have almost 3 million men and 8,000 tanks participating in the battle.

For comparison, Nieuport (the Belgian town at the mouth of the Yser) and Basel (the major Swiss town at the Franco/German/Swiss border) are about 600km apart, as the crow flies...

(I can't say things like this enough times; it's impossible to overstate how just how much loving land there is east of Berlin and Vienna, and how utterly different it makes trying to move armies around in the east compared to the west.)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

Not both hands, since you need a hand to hold the reins. Since you can't reload on horseback, the number of pistols you have is the number of shots you can take. Then you throw them at people (no, really. That was recommended).

Aren't pistols still kind if expensive at this point? Plus, isn't there the whole risk of you've just thrown a bunch of weapons at the enemy they can at some point reload and shoot you with?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Aren't pistols still kind if expensive at this point? Plus, isn't there the whole risk of you've just thrown a bunch of weapons at the enemy they can at some point reload and shoot you with?
Oh, it's really expensive to equip curiassiers.

But I doubt people will reload them during the battle itself. Like, you are in a batallion/escuadron and the goddamned cav has just ridden up to you and shot at some of you to open gaps in your formation in the hopes that at some future time there will be too much space for the surviving pikemen to cover. Then someone throws a pistol in your direction. At what point are you going to pick it up, find bullets that fit, and drop your own weapon to reload the thing?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nenonen posted:

When isolated from friendly forces, yes. The crucial point about letting tank commanders do commanding stuff and having radios is not that they help their individual tank win tank duels. It's that they can act as an element of the general formation consisting of other tanks and, in best case, supporting infantry trained to fight alongside tanks and also able to communicate with them (compatible radios, field telephone lines attached to tank rear etc.). When a battalion or regiment attacks it doesn't matter who fires the first shot, it's who fires the last shot.

Like 90% of warfare even at the battalion level is "where is the other guys poo poo"

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Or rather Nieuwpoort (, Battle of)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so what are some hilarious examples of military forces being unable to find each other's asses with both hands?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

GermanEngineering.jpg

This is pretty representative of their approach to engineering as a whole. Elegant as all get-out, but it has a tendency to suck in the real world. (Or any time anyone that isn't an engineer or factory technician has to work on it without exactly the right tools and equipment.)

You can see this approach in everything, from their entrenching tools to their tanks, to small arms, to airplanes. They pioneered replace-instead-of-repair logistics with a few of their aircraft engines, but they did it in a time before containerized shipping and just-in-time parts delivery. It would have worked in Germany of 1938 (or 2014, for that matter,) but in Germany of 1944-45, it was less than optimal.

Another nice peace of German engineering is the G11-rifle. It's really great: Caseless bullets, extreme high precision, extreme high firing rate, a variant comes with a 300 shot magazine, everyone loves it! There's just a small problem the German Bundeswehr noted while testing it: If it comes into contact with anything from the real world (dust, mud, dirt), it tends to stop working immediately. It is somehow even more prone to failure then the G36-rifle, which became the new standard weapon instead.

But in an environment where neither dust nor mud are a problem (translation: in the world of dreams, it works fine), it is the best rifle.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Didn't it have critical parts made by a clockmaker or a similar profession making very very tiny things?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Boiled Water posted:

Didn't it have critical parts made by a clockmaker or a similar profession making very very tiny things?

:suicide:

Edit: it was also prone to heat related failures due in large part to the caseless ammo that it used. As a concept gun it was pretty neat but from a practical standpoint it was a nightmare.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 5, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Caseless ammunition, if it became common, would be a wonderful throwback to pre-cartridge/paper cartridge days. You'd have to explain to kids why in all those 2D movies guns eject bits of brass to the side.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Boiled Water posted:

Really, really neat mechanism. The rounds are caseless, just a bullet embedded in a block of propellant. Each round is fed vertically into the breech, point-down, from the top, and the breech rotates 90 degrees to orient the round with the barrel. Round fires, barrel, and breech and magazine all recoil together as one unit. Without any ejection cycle to worry about, the breech is able to rotate to accept and load and fire the next round before the the recoiling parts reach the end of their travel, so when firing 3-round bursts all three rounds have left the barrel before the user experiences any felt recoil.

I'm not sure how big a problem dirt was; the lack of an ejection cycle would help to prevent crud getting into the internal working parts, but one big problem was heat. The ejected brass casing of a normal cartridge carries away a lot of the heat, and without that heat sink the gun heats up that much faster and the caseless rounds stared cooking off. Eventually a reformulated propellant helped that problem, but I don't think it was ever solved entirely, and it was really expensive. The US Army considered it as an M16 replacement but it didn't deliver sufficient performance over-and-above the existing weapon to justify the cost and the supply-chain issues of the ammunition.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Is that a wheel-lock inside a G11?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'd almost be interested to see what they could do with that concept and modern alloys/composites. Maybe replace some parts with carbon fiber for heat dispersion?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rockopolis posted:

Is that a wheel-lock inside a G11?

i can't stop laughing

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 5, 2014

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MA-Horus posted:

I'd almost be interested to see what they could do with that concept and modern alloys/composites. Maybe replace some parts with carbon fiber for heat dispersion?

Carbon fiber makes for a terrible heat sink since the parts that aren't fibrous carbon is epoxy.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

AT guns are why not having infantry accompany your tanks is loving Retarded.

Kursk had a ton of infantry and artillery, both direct and indirect fire. People go on about The Biggest Tank Battle of All Time (tm) (not true depending on how you define "biggest"), but it wasn't just thousands of tanks driving towards each other. If you look at the list of Ferdinands lost out at Kursk, the majority of them fell to mines or infantry. Very few were destroyed by tanks.

Oh, and also mud. Quite a number of vehicles were lost to that, as usual.

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's sort of a one-off, though. The rest of the time you'd have single/twin-engined Fighters and CAS aircraft dropping smaller bombs or strafing tanks, and in that context it's true that the tanks were defeated by their logistical tails being shot up, or being turned into "mission kills" when forced to button up and/or suffering mechanical failures from strafing damage that doesn't outright kill the tank, but disables it.

I would say yes, Kursk is a bit of an oddity in terms of both sides deliberately walking into it. The thing about American TDs, or "infantry support" tanks, or German "heavy breakthrough" tanks and other specialized tanks is that you make a tank that's really good at A Thing, then you deploy it to where you need it to do that thing - except wars and engagements never turn out that way so it turns out a more generalized "medium" tank that would eventually turn into the "main battle" tank was better because you can't count on your special tank being in the right place at the right time.

For Kursk, the Germans knew exactly where they wanted to attack and prepared for it for months, while the Russians knew exactly where the Germans were about to attack them and prepared for it for months, and you get these pitched battles between large amounts of tanks because all that prep time means both sides can commit their tanks to where they want to, when they want to.

Tanks are mobile reserves. You can put your tanks (ok, maybe except the ridiculous German ones) anywhere in the battle. The time given to the Red Army was used to make minefields, AT gun belts, and fortifications.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Indian Expeditionary Force "B" leaves Tanga today. But first, some of their officers sit down for a polite dinner with the Germans. I wish I was joking. GG, nextmap.

(Also, the Telegraph gamely attempts to ignore the first reports of the defeat at Coronel.)

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

A secondary clip containing ejectable heatsinks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Have they tried pairing the heatsinks with the bullets themselves? Might kill two birds with one stone that way.

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

Indian Expeditionary Force "B" leaves Tanga today. But first, some of their officers sit down for a polite dinner with the Germans. I wish I was joking. GG, nextmap.

(Also, the Telegraph gamely attempts to ignore the first reports of the defeat at Coronel.)

Why is the Expeditionary Force in such a hurry? Is the command structure not aware of their relative strength compared to the Germans? I'm just shocked as to why they'd leave all their supplies behind, when they could probably just dig in somewhere and take the time to reload it.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Will there be assault weapons with caseless ammunition on a large scale any time soon?

• Locked thread