Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
It's not really a fault with SCCM either. Any kind of automation software that makes your job easier will have the potential for massive fuckups.

If some intern deletes the main account OU from Active Directory or does a DROP TABLE at the wrong place you are just as hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
"Computers do exactly what you tell them to do"

Fox_Spy
Mar 19, 2006
Lifeguard of the Apocalypse

Entropic posted:

I've had at least two Macs come in because they had "a virus" where it turned out just to be that Safari was stuck on a page with a scary-looking pop up and the "re-open programs in the state they were in when you last closed them" default was set.

That feature on macs annoyed the poo poo out of me know the first time I ran into it. All I wanted to do was reboot the computer and start clean. Instead it opens everything I had open before, very annoying.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

"Computers do exactly what you tell them to do"

What about badly coded applications? Whose fault is that?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Santa is strapped posted:

What about badly coded applications? Whose fault is that?

The computer is doing exactly what the application is telling it to.

The application is just drunk.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

peak debt posted:

It's not really a fault with SCCM either. Any kind of automation software that makes your job easier will have the potential for massive fuckups.

If some intern deletes the main account OU from Active Directory or does a DROP TABLE at the wrong place you are just as hosed.

people really make those mistakes?

I'm sorry but drop tables, and messing with the main OU always scares the crap out of me.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

nthalp posted:

I'm sorry but drop tables, and messing with the main OU always scares the crap out of me.

Eventually people have to do it, and maybe once in a million they're so scared they don't think things through as well.

In this case, fear is both good and bad.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

The computer is doing exactly what the application is telling it to.

The application is just drunk.

Truth.

Yesterday:
:phoneb: Hi Santa, can I get the sales printer on my computer?
:phone: Yes, absolutely. I will send you an email with a file attached. I want you to save this file to your desktop and double click it. It will add the printer to your computer.
:phoneb: Okay thanks!

I send him the email, file attached and the body repeating what I told him over the phone.

:phoneb: So hey Santa, where do I save this file???
:raise: Did you read the email that I sent you?
:phoneb: Ohahahhadhahsghghrahahh no, I will now :downs:
:stonklol:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Long story short: Exec terrified of corporate espionage decides that he needs to make sure that no hackers can tap the microphone on his laptop during Very Important Meeting.

So instead of, you know, anything sane like leaving the laptop in another room or calling IT, he decides to pour "just a few drops of coffee" into what he thinks is the mic.

"But it shouldn't have done that much damage, it was just a little bit, just enough to short out the mic..."

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

Long story short: Exec terrified of corporate espionage decides that he needs to make sure that no hackers can tap the microphone on his laptop during Very Important Meeting.

So instead of, you know, anything sane like leaving the laptop in another room or calling IT, he decides to pour "just a few drops of coffee" into what he thinks is the mic.

"But it shouldn't have done that much damage, it was just a little bit, just enough to short out the mic..."

Wow.

Tell him you'll give him a Faraday cage next time. Just spray paint a cardboard box in silver paint.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

sfwarlock posted:

Ugh. Is there even a service contract for that? Is there willful stupidity coverage?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

nthalp posted:

Ugh. Is there even a service contract for that? Is there willful stupidity coverage?

I had Dell replace a laptop someone's kid had drawn all over (and into) with fingerpaint under their "anything goes" insurance.

nthalp posted:

One guy I worked with knocked a radio station with ~500k listeners offline for two hours because he fooled around in the file permissions of the drive the songs were stored in.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 4, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

m.hache posted:

Wow.

Tell him you'll give him a Faraday cage next time. Just spray paint a cardboard box in silver paint.

I think he needs ones of those Get Smart style cones of silence.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dravs posted:

A ticket came in... from home.

My wifes backup drive for her photography business failed. Of course the drive that had all of the original data on also failed 6 months ago and she never thought it might be a good idea to keep the backup data mirrored somewhere else since it was now the only surviving copy.

The is, of course, entirely my fault and now my problem.

Does anyone have any experience with Crashplan or any cloud backup solutions? any recommendations?

Crashplan is great and reasonably priced. It's saved my rear end a couple of times now.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Entropic posted:

I think he needs ones of those Get Smart style cones of silence.
More like...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lum posted:

More like...

I would so love a company policy of shame-coning employees for doing something incredulously stupid on company networks.

Of course that would most likely hurt feelings, and be outlawed.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

nthalp posted:

I would so love a company policy of shame-coning employees for doing something incredulously stupid on company networks.

Of course that would most likely hurt feelings, and be outlawed.

We had a driver pull away with his cargo doors open once and dump cargo all over the place. We printed his face with "WORLDS BEST DRIVER" and stuck it to the front door of the building for him to see when he came back.

It was the bosses idea.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Got a Xerox on the fritz? Is your $90k printer locked down and printing the 8932740952345th copy of a stuck job? Log into it with the (probably unchanged) default admin credentials!

username: admin
password: 1111

I just mentioned this in #bofh and it helped a couple people. Figured I'd post it here too.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Sirotan posted:

Got a Xerox on the fritz? Is your $90k printer locked down and printing the 8932740952345th copy of a stuck job? Log into it with the (probably unchanged) default admin credentials!

I just mentioned this in #bofh and it helped a couple people. Figured I'd post it here too.

I can confirm this is the ultra secret user credentials for our 90 million dollar copier as well.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Pathetic. Toshiba uses 123456

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Canon is 7654321 iirc

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Ricoh tends to be
L: Admin
P: <Blank>

HP's tend to be: Ha Ha! You found my IP! Full access for you!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

blackswordca posted:

Ricoh tends to be
L: Admin
P: <Blank>

:ssh:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sirotan posted:

Ah, but. What is the goddamn tech service code?

Very first Xerox I ever set up, I changed the password and it done hosed up (I think the Xerox firmware is one of those magical bits of software where the UI field accepts any number of characters but the database field is actually limited, so it truncates the password if it's too long, and I like long passwords). Had to call a service tech out just to do a reset because Xerox doesn't want to give out the service code that allows you to reset the firmware admin password. As far as I can tell, the only reason not to give it out is to protect the tech service model, because clearly if you put in the code and gently caress something up you're going to have to call a tech anyway, so why not let customers gently caress themselves over.

And in fact when the tech came out he basically hid his code-punching completely - hand over the panel masking his other hand so that no one could see what he was punching in.

Makes me so goddamn mad.

Also I don't reset Xerox passwords anymore, I leave them at the default because gently caress having a copier out of commission for two days waiting for a tech to show up and punch in a couple codes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We've got probably a half dozen xerox models here, and when I set them up I wanted them to all use the same low importance password to match the rest of our poo poo.

It was too long for some models, it worked on a couple, and some can only accept numerical passwords... Fuckit. 123456 for all.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Potato Alley posted:

Ah, but. What is the goddamn tech service code?

Very first Xerox I ever set up, I changed the password and it done hosed up (I think the Xerox firmware is one of those magical bits of software where the UI field accepts any number of characters but the database field is actually limited, so it truncates the password if it's too long, and I like long passwords). Had to call a service tech out just to do a reset because Xerox doesn't want to give out the service code that allows you to reset the firmware admin password. As far as I can tell, the only reason not to give it out is to protect the tech service model, because clearly if you put in the code and gently caress something up you're going to have to call a tech anyway, so why not let customers gently caress themselves over.

And in fact when the tech came out he basically hid his code-punching completely - hand over the panel masking his other hand so that no one could see what he was punching in.

Makes me so goddamn mad.

Also I don't reset Xerox passwords anymore, I leave them at the default because gently caress having a copier out of commission for two days waiting for a tech to show up and punch in a couple codes.

Did some googling, found:

http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/xerox/23543-xerox-242-service-access-code.html posted:

go to service mode. hold down 0 (zero) for 5 secs, don't release then press start. enter password 6789 -confirm. press login/out button. press systems settings/systems settings/common settings/ maintenance diagnostics/nvm read write. enter the nvm value- read, change the value to 0 and save. then exit or close until the machine will reboot by itself (dont turn off the machine using power switch)

I don't have any Xerox machines at my physical location to test this on though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

m.hache posted:

We had a driver pull away with his cargo doors open once and dump cargo all over the place. We printed his face with "WORLDS BEST DRIVER" and stuck it to the front door of the building for him to see when he came back.

It was the bosses idea.

"My door is always open!"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We have some really old Konica Minoltas and the password is either 00000000 (eight zeroes) or 12345678 or 1234567812345678.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

anthonypants posted:

We have some really old Konica Minoltas and the password is either 00000000 (eight zeroes) or 12345678 or 1234567812345678.

yup same with the new ones, and the sharp either 0123456789 or 8 zeroes

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

a ticket came in... for our worldwide network team. Massive outage for the whole corporate network. They just split our site of 700 employees in half and sent 50% home to try to login via vpn to get some work done. Nope, email and other login services aren't available from the remote vpn sites either.

Looks like I'm getting paid to do nothing today from home!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

sfwarlock posted:

Well, it worked in making sure no hackers could listen in, right?

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
We use Gmail at work.

I have this person at work right now that when they click on their drafts folder, and then click in the body of the drafted email the page refreshes and all text is then cleared and lost. Part of me wants to think that its because they have a metric fuckton of drafts in the drafts folder.

What the hell is causing this? Keyboard shortcuts are turned off, and they aren't using any labs that would cause this. Its such a simple issue, but the fact that this person is a director its blowing up in to a huge issue.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Frag Viper posted:

We use Gmail at work.

I have this person at work right now that when they click on their drafts folder, and then click in the body of the drafted email the page refreshes and all text is then cleared and lost. Part of me wants to think that its because they have a metric fuckton of drafts in the drafts folder.

What the hell is causing this? Keyboard shortcuts are turned off, and they aren't using any labs that would cause this. Its such a simple issue, but the fact that this person is a director its blowing up in to a huge issue.

Maybe try connecting to the account with an IMAP client (or the mail app on an Android tablet) and see if you can clean up the drafts from there.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
On copier code access:
Let's say you own a Ricoh, and someone has changed the username or password. But you want access and not to have a tech come out. Enter:
Username: supervisor
Password:<blank>
You now have access to one and only one thing: the ability to reset the admin password.
You can change the password on supervisor mode also, but if you forget it, you are screwed. Because the only other password recovery method is factory mode(only known by product engineers and instructors) or replacing about 3k worth of parts.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So Microsoft recently switched from Prometric to VUE or something for their exam sites. Now when I go to their site my previous certifications are nowhere to be found.

Time to call them I guess. What a pain.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Did some googling, found:

I don't have any Xerox machines at my physical location to test this on though.

That or some variation on it will work on lots of models. Just don't muck around too much, you can actually break the machine with some of the settings in there. The more expensive the machine, the more dangerous the settings get.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Mrit posted:

On copier code access:
Let's say you own a Ricoh, and someone has changed the username or password. But you want access and not to have a tech come out. Enter:
Username: supervisor
Password:<blank>
You now have access to one and only one thing: the ability to reset the admin password.
You can change the password on supervisor mode also, but if you forget it, you are screwed. Because the only other password recovery method is factory mode(only known by product engineers and instructors) or replacing about 3k worth of parts.

I'm gonna take this password and leave an admin password for Sharp copiers, which is "Sharp"

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Oh hey, the Toshiba admin password of "123456" works beautifully!

The admin options, on the other hand, are pretty near useless. Guess I need to steal the tech's laptop to fix the pre-installed stupidity.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Langolas posted:

a ticket came in... for our worldwide network team. Massive outage for the whole corporate network. They just split our site of 700 employees in half and sent 50% home to try to login via vpn to get some work done. Nope, email and other login services aren't available from the remote vpn sites either.

Looks like I'm getting paid to do nothing today from home!

Do you happen to work at a large storage vendor?

E: should add some substance so I don't look like your boss or something. If your at the same place, net went down just after 10. My management held out hope till 2 but after that people in my group said gently caress it and just went home.

huge pile of hamburger fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

m.hache posted:

It was the bosses idea.

The problem is there's two kinds of people in this world, the kind that will both learn from their mistake and be able to laugh off that joke, and the kind that won't and won't.

• Locked thread