Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

actually, I'm phoneblocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

codl posted:

not a kickstarter yet but http://www.morphkaos.com/

i sure love recharging my phone case every night for no practical gain

if you had color e-ink this would be reasonable b/c your power draw would be 0 except when you're changing the image

but afaik all the current color e-ink tech is expensive and washed out and there's not a lot of work being done in the field because of tablets

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
didnt sony demo color e-ink at ces like 5 years ago

releasing a 100$ phone case that fits like one crap droid phone would be a p sony thing to do

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah the argument used to be "who'd want to read from a lit screen for hours?", turns out it's a lot of people

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

also they severely underestimated just how willing people are to charge their devices every day.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah the argument used to be "who'd want to read from a lit screen for hours?", turns out it's a lot of people

turns out it's me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I got a kindle paper white and its backlit and it owns.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

when e ink was starting to be a thing mobile LCDs had pixels largeenough to drive a truck through and ugly enough to melt the paint off as it went through

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

frontlit.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh yeah. w/e. its good

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

when e ink was starting to be a thing mobile LCDs had pixels largeenough to drive a truck through and ugly enough to melt the paint off as it went through

no they did not. the lcd readers around at the time of kindle introduction were about the same pixel density as the first kindles/early sony eink readers

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Nintendo Kid posted:

no they did not.
yeah... they will.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no they will not

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
will they or won't they?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Bloody posted:

no they will not

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

id care if this is true or not, I like this post

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

bucketmouse posted:

didnt sony demo color e-ink at ces like 5 years ago

releasing a 100$ phone case that fits like one crap droid phone would be a p sony thing to do

afaik all the color e-ink screens look terrible and washed-out

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

when eink first came out, lcds were absolutely illegible in most amounts of sunlight. plus amazon was the first retailer to really amass publishers. also the first kindle predated good and cheap tablets by 3 years, so ebooks had been relegated to PC or phone reading

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

when eink first came out, lcds were absolutely illegible in most amounts of sunlight. plus amazon was the first retailer to really amass publishers. also the first kindle predated good and cheap tablets by 3 years, so ebooks had been relegated to PC or phone reading

nah there were plenty of readable in day light because they didnt need backlighting LCD readers out there.

they also had suck battery life and were expensive, and all were tied to horrible stores and formats.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

when eink first came out, lcds were absolutely illegible in most amounts of sunlight.

as opposed to today, when lcds are still almost illegible in most amounts of sunlight, and the ubiquity of glossy screens finishes the job

lcd tablets didn't win because lcds became legible outdoors, they won because nobody reads outdoors anyway

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Soricidus posted:

as opposed to today, when lcds are still almost illegible in most amounts of sunlight, and the ubiquity of glossy screens finishes the job

lcd tablets didn't win because lcds became legible outdoors, they won because nobody reads outdoors anyway

butbutbut pixel qi!!! best of both worlds, color lcds with special transflective mono mode for outdoors!!! olpc derived tech will deliver us into a promised land of openness and free sores!

(it wasnt the best of both worlds, also nobody reads outdoors)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

srsly. people are all "waaah i want something to read at the beach" and the only sensible answer to that is "if you're at the beach you should be too wet, too drunk, or too busy having fun with friends to read anyway. you don't deserve an ereader you goddamn nerd"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i prefer to read normal books.

plus a nice book collection looks good on a shelf

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
can't find it but maybe someone else can

that skit where a woman puts a kindle on a bookshelf full of kindles .gif

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Shaggar posted:

agreeing with shaggar. . . also got a nice waterproof case as I have one of those non stop water heaters and sometimes it's comfy to lay in the shower after cleaning and read for a bit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sweevo posted:

i prefer to read normal books.

plus a nice book collection looks good on a shelf

i have two kindle paperwhites and they're excellent, but i can't help preferring a real book if possible :corsair:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

enotnert posted:

agreeing with shaggar. . . also got a nice waterproof case as I have one of those non stop water heaters and sometimes it's comfy to lay in the shower after cleaning and read for a bit.

is this u

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

enotnert posted:

you don't need that. just stick it in a small zip loc bag and it'll be fine. if you're extra paranoid put it within a second bag.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
bag 1 has been breached

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-pokey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEvaRjMO2r0

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i'm almost tempted to do this, we can't lose this valuable part of internet culture

also i'm going to say this is probably legit as they emailed the address they had on file from when i ordered the last POKEY THE PENGUIN! ! ! book.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

YES

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
jam your fat fingers inside this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theendgame/the-endgame?ref=newest

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

*nerd with bad haircut stands lit in blue and orange neon light*

"what's your... endgame?!"

now with double-stitched glove extraction tab system

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
I like how they admit in the video that they really serve no purpose but to look "cool"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i dont get it

whats the ponit

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Bloody posted:

i dont get it

whats the ponit

ponit. plural form of poni

graph