Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

But people keep saying that the thread has a hivemind!

Stop filling this thread with relentless negativity, man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

"Time travel is something that happens in Doctor Who."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nope. It certainly used to, but Doctor Who died when they cast a woman as The Master. RIP.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Disagree. I think it's all just an optical illusion, or some kind of holodeck.

E:

Acne Rain posted:

"The doctor's real name should never be revealed to the audience"

uhh we know his real name? it's Who

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Carbon dioxide posted:

Sure, they had about two seasons where Pertwee was stuck on Earth without time travel, and it was still Doctor Who!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Carbon dioxide posted:

What if, like, the TARDIS never really goes anywhere? Like, it just kinda, moves the universe around itself. Really makes you think.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cliff Racer posted:

Out of curiosity, I won't mention it by name but is this a forum with a mind-numbingly stupid "you have to use your IRL name" rule?

No, and I don't know what SA's rules are to providing links to other forums and whatnot, but a clue I can give is it's named after the homeworld of some stompy cyborgs.

Also, Ian Levine told another poster to kill himself on that forum.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 4, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The Chimes of Midnight, Jubilee, and Spare Parts are some of the best Who stories ever told.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

The Chimes of Midnight, Jubilee, and Spare Parts are some of the best Who stories ever told.

I'm pretty sure Jakiri thinks Chimes is only okay.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Doctor Who exists.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

HD DAD posted:

Doctor Who exists.

Does it? I mean, Doctor Who has been so many different programs. The "Doctor Who" of the Pertwee era is over and gone, for instance.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Acne Rain posted:

"The doctor's real name should never be revealed to the audience"

His real name is 'Who'. This has firmly been established by the show's opening credits.

EDIT: Didn't check the last page, guess we found something we can agree on.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Some people have strong opinions about Steven Moffat, while others don't really care one way or the other.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HD DAD posted:

Doctor Who exists.

Doctor Who existed but it died with the end of the RTD era.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Surely the one thing to agree on is easy:

It's bigger on the inside.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Davros1 posted:

I don't know what SA's rules are to providing links to other forums and whatnot

It should be fine provided people don't start trying to start poo poo on whatever site it is.

Its that sort of thing that made the best threads in gbs and d+d

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Missy plans to take over the universe with a new race of Time Lords she gives birth to herself. She is on earth because she needs The Doctor to be the daddy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spoilers Below posted:

Some people have strong opinions about Steven Moffat, while others don't really care one way or the other.

Maybe the absence of any opinion is an opinion in itself.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ewe2 posted:

It's smaller on the outside :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

I'm pretty sure Jakiri thinks Chimes is only okay.

It's pretty good but it's not all that

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's pretty good but it's not all that

I actually agree. Like many of Shearman's efforts, the resolution is a bit shoddy. It's also bogged down by its reliance on the Charley metaplot and by the fact that, sadly, the atmosphere it tries to invoke is rather limited by the audio format.

It's not as good as people say it is, but it's still pretty great, is what I'm getting at.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ewe2 posted:

Not exactly. It just looks that way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What if the regeneration limit wasn't entirely arbitrary, but actually due to some innate technical/biological limit? More regenerations are possible, but there is degeneration. The Master is past the limit and has been noticeably crazier than before he reached the limit. The Doctor is just past the limit, and already he's not as quick and he's forgetful -- at first this seemed like post-regeneration trauma, but it's gone on for a while now, and he's still not up to speed. Too many regenerations and you develop dementia.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

ewe2 posted:

Actually it transcends mere dimensions :smug:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

What if the regeneration limit wasn't entirely arbitrary, but actually due to some innate technical/biological limit? More regenerations are possible, but there is degeneration. The Master is past the limit and has been noticeably crazier than before he reached the limit. The Doctor is just past the limit, and already he's not as quick and he's forgetful -- at first this seemed like post-regeneration trauma, but it's gone on for a while now, and he's still not up to speed. Too many regenerations and you develop dementia.

This is addressed in Zagreus, actually. They say that the "biogenic molecules" that control regeneration degrade with each use, so Rassilon put the twelve regeneration limit in place to avoid total degradation when he first genetically modified the Time Lords. However, you can be gifted a new regeneration cycle, presumably with a new set of biogenic molecules.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

It's not as good as people say it is, but it's still pretty great, is what I'm getting at.

I will strangle you like a botany student!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gordon Shumway posted:

This is addressed in Zagreus, actually. They say that the "biogenic molecules" that control regeneration degrade with each use, so Rassilon put the twelve regeneration limit in place to avoid total degradation when he first genetically modified the Time Lords. However, you can be gifted a new regeneration cycle, presumably with a new set of biogenic molecules.

Ahh the Jedi moment.

As for you TARDIS renegades, its all a matter of perspective and mine is the only correct one :smug:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ewe2 posted:

No it's not that's just special effects

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gordon Shumway posted:

presumably with a new set of biogenic molecules.

Doctor: And how do biogenic molecules get created anyway, Rassilon?
Rassilon: Space Magic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ewe2 posted:

What as the Doctor's explanation of this in Forest of the Night again? I remember quite liking it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cleretic posted:

What as the Doctor's explanation of this in Forest of the Night again? I remember quite liking it.

It's like how a coke is |_this_| big, but has |_____THIS_____| much sugar in it!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor: And how do biogenic molecules get created anyway, Rassilon?
Rassilon: Space Magic.

Doctor: Ah, the Magic Hat of Rassilon to go with the "Saw a Time Lord in Half Box of Rassilon."

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

I sort of had the impression that her TARDIS was just inside St. Paul's, with the front doors opening to the inside of the TARDIS - hence why the internal space with the Cybermen and the lab and whatnot didn't look like they should be the inside of the cathedral.

I'd prefer if the Master demolished St Paul's and had her TARDIS replace it, just to get a cool shot of the entire building fading away.

Just occurred to me, why does the light on top of the Doctors TARDIS flash when it materialises/dematerialises? The police box (including the light) is just a facade after all, so that light isn't actually part of standard TARDIS equipment. The only thing that makes sense is that it's the Time Lord equivalent of putting neons on the underside of your car.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

I'd prefer if the Master demolished St Paul's and had her TARDIS replace it, just to get a cool shot of the entire building fading away.

Just occurred to me, why does the light on top of the Doctors TARDIS flash when it materialises/dematerialises? The police box (including the light) is just a facade after all, so that light isn't actually part of standard TARDIS equipment. The only thing that makes sense is that it's the Time Lord equivalent of putting neons on the underside of your car.

I think some stories have suggested that the light is the "camera" for the TARDIS sensors, if that means anything. So it might be the "indicator" for the sensor calibrating to the local time-space.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's because it's cool and the Doctor likes cool things.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gordon Shumway posted:

Presumably. But what if there isn't a new set of biogenic molecules? Maybe it just changes a line of code from "regenerations=12" to "regenerations=24" and does nothing about the inevitable degradation. By the time you realize the problem you are knee deep in Space Alzheimer's and can't do anything about it.

Or maybe there are replacement biogenic molecules, but the experimental replacements just flat out aren't as good as the originals. That's why they don't give them to everyone. It works, but it is unstable. You could regenerate old, regenerate crazy, regenerate forgetful, or even regenerate as the wrong sex. :o

Regeneration uncertainty could put a meaningful fear of death back into the Doctor's life.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

Presumably. But what if there isn't a new set of biogenic molecules? Maybe it just changes a line of code from "regenerations=12" to "regenerations=24" and does nothing about the inevitable degradation. By the time you realize the problem you are knee deep in Space Alzheimer's and can't do anything about it.

Or maybe there are replacement biogenic molecules, but the experimental replacements just flat out aren't as good as the originals. That's why they don't give them to everyone. It works, but it is unstable. You could regenerate old, regenerate crazy, regenerate forgetful, or even regenerate as the wrong sex. :o

Regeneration uncertainty could put a meaningful fear of death back into the Doctor's life.

Listen to "Trial of the Valeyard" from BF if you want horrifying stories of regeneration uncertainties.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Listen to "Trial of the Valeyard" from BF if you want horrifying stories of regeneration uncertainties.

And if you want to reassure yourself, remember that the Valeyard'll say anything.

... right? :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Doctor: Ah, the Magic Hat of Rassilon to go with the "Saw a Time Lord in Half Box of Rassilon."

Even though I enjoyed the portrayal of the Time Lords as rear end in a top hat Greek Gods in The War Games, one aspect I liked about the 4th Doctor onwards portrayal of their stagnant society was that most of them would take one look at the stuff Rassilon made (10 million years earlier!) and say,"What the gently caress how the hell does this thing even work!?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I hope Orbital play glastonbury this year. Peter Capaldi would rock(synth?) the poo poo out of the Other Stage.

• Locked thread