Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

S.J. posted:

That is correct.

I'm honestly sad the original idea for the Star Wars LCG got scrapped (it was going to be Co-Op like LOTR)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm honestly sad the original idea for the Star Wars LCG got scrapped (it was going to be Co-Op like LOTR)

Well now I am too because I'm not a big fan of the current SW LCG.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

S.J. posted:

Well now I am too because I'm not a big fan of the current SW LCG.

I keep wanting to get/try the SW LCG but I know I wouldn't have anyone to play with. I moved to a new place about a month and a half ago and still haven't found anyone to game with. Sooooo Co-op/Solo games generally get played a lot more often. The FLGS are a bit...strange, to say the least.

I can't remember all the details about why they switched the design after working on it for a while, I think it had to do with 1) differentiating it from LotR 2) people wanted to play Imperials/Scum/Sith 3) lots of bitching on the FFG boards. I could be completely wrong since its been a while, I've just heard all of those floated about.

Speaking of good co-op card games, I downloaded the iOS app of Sentinels of the Multiverse, and have been kicking myself for not checking it out sooner. The art was kind of a turn off, but its an excellent co-op game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Well if you're interested in buying literally everything for the Sentinels card game, let me know. I don't play mine nearly as much as I used to.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Speaking of good co-op card games, I downloaded the iOS app of Sentinels of the Multiverse, and have been kicking myself for not checking it out sooner. The art was kind of a turn off, but its an excellent co-op game.

It's not really a deep game. You get a lot of variety, for sure, but the plays are pretty obvious. And the art is, of course, ugly as hell.

LOTR is basically a much better game.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

GrandpaPants posted:

It's not really a deep game. You get a lot of variety, for sure, but the plays are pretty obvious. And the art is, of course, ugly as hell.

LOTR is basically a much better game.

The app does help with the math involved in SoTM. LOTR is a superior game, to SoTM among others.

Speaking of apps, LackeyCCG has an iPad app now. You can get the LOTR plugin, but my god, this app is confusing to use. I'm fairly adept at playing LOTR on OCTGN. Does anyone know any tricks to using Lackey?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

mongol posted:

The app does help with the math involved in SoTM. LOTR is a superior game, to SoTM among others.

Speaking of apps, LackeyCCG has an iPad app now. You can get the LOTR plugin, but my god, this app is confusing to use. I'm fairly adept at playing LOTR on OCTGN. Does anyone know any tricks to using Lackey?

That is good news. There is a net runner plugin for Lackey as well that I've been meaning to try out. I think they have plugins for all the LCG lines, as well. I'm on a Mac, and can't use OCTGN. :(

I'm enjoying SoTM as an app, and appreciate the puzzle of figuring out the gimmick each deck is built to play. The Absolute Zero deck, for instance, reminded me of setting up janky MTG combos. I can see it not having much depth, though.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
Hey guys! You know what's cooler than one LOTR PbP game? How about two?

I talked to GTR and he was totally cool with me running another game that is a bit more advanced than the starting quest. Hope to see you guys in the game!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I sat down today and thought I'd try out Massing at Osgiliath, one of the special GenCon scenarios that came out a few years back. Of course, I decided to be a masochist and attempt it playing solo, with just my Hobbit deck (mostly Core + Black Riders).

Sweet Jesus did I get murdered. I hadn't bothered to read the quest cards in advance, managed to rush through up to the Crossing, and then realized I'd lose one of my three heroes. Sacrificed Pippin and thought I'd try to blitz past the final stage's 15 Quest Points, only for a combination of the Witch King and a forced active location adding an extra 7 quest points I'd need to get to stall me out. I struggled for another turn before an Easterling Captain arrived to dump two more scouts into the staging area, and poor Sam and Merry got overrun just outside the gates of the White City.

Now that I've been brutalized by it, I suppose I should attempt to build a deck or pair of decks to actually handle that quest. Has anyone else found any good strategies for this quest?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How long does it usually take for games to get restocked? Conquest is currently way overpriced or sold out everywhere. Or limit one to a customer.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

How long does it usually take for games to get restocked? Conquest is currently way overpriced or sold out everywhere. Or limit one to a customer.

My distributor said second week of November. Probably will be later knowing FFG.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Don't know about WH:C specifically, but usually games show up here when they are about to be reprinted: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp

I guess Conquest could be a special case though, since you'd probably postpone other stuff to print new copies of a game this new and out of stock.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I played against my friend's Space Marines/IG deck that was just brutal. Space Marines are just ludicrous in combat since they have approximately a billion tricks to call on, plus IG gives them a few more. He had Cato's Stronghold, two Catachan Outposts, and seemingly a billion Eager Recruits, Drop Pod Assaults that somehow always dropped an Honored Librarian, and Elysium Assault Teams in a way that my first move always had to be retreating my Warlord or face a ton of instant damage. That's not even considering having a Brother Maxos out with Sicarius' Chosens pinging and removing dudes from combat. gently caress Space Marines.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
Conquest chat: is it just me, or can orks not stand on their own, like, at all? Snotlings and burna boyz and the kannon all splash very well into Chaos, but that ork general just doesn't seem good on his own right now.

And does anyone know if there is a schedule for the new packs coming out? It sounds like the space wolf set is the first but I have no idea when that will happen. I apologize if this has been posted before but I didn't see it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

brother-joseph posted:

Conquest chat: is it just me, or can orks not stand on their own, like, at all? Snotlings and burna boyz and the kannon all splash very well into Chaos, but that ork general just doesn't seem good on his own right now.

I'm pretty happy with the Orks but I'm also running three cores. If you're not they don't have the consistency to really work as well as the Tau or Space Marines. I don't really use the token units. They don't have hammers so you can't use them to win command and they all die immediately to a range attack which a lot of factions have.

The unit that takes a damage to untap is amazing when you load it up with the +2/+2 armor from Chaos. I'm winning a lot of games by being able to take out their Warlord, not many factions can take the first planet without assigning their Warlord there so you get into a situation where once you've flipped their Warlord they have to defend the starting planet.

The only real "hole" in their game is that they don't have the best event cards and can't do much against other players events.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 29, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Orks need more combat tricks, I think. They just have no surprises about them.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

I'm pretty happy with the Orks but I'm also running three cores. If you're not they don't have the consistency to really work as well as the Tau or Space Marines. I don't really use the token units. They don't have hammers so you can't use them to win command and they all die immediately to a range attack which a lot of factions have.

The unit that takes a damage to untap is amazing when you load it up with the +2/+2 armor from Chaos. I'm winning a lot of games by being able to take out their Warlord, not many factions can take the first planet without assigning their Warlord there so you get into a situation where once you've flipped their Warlord they have to defend the starting planet.

The only real "hole" in their game is that they don't have the best event cards and can't do much against other players events.

Yeah, I am running 3 cores. It's not that they don't have any good combos at all (flash gitz + rune armor is nice, flash gitz + cybork body is awesome), it's just that they don't seem to have a niche. IG have a much better early game and Chaos has a much better late game and DE/Tau both have a better mid game. Orks don't seem terrible or anything, but I am having 0 luck with them against good players.

I only say this because I've done fairly well with the other generals. Maybe I've just had bad luck and I need to play more games with them.

GrandpaPants posted:

Orks need more combat tricks, I think. They just have no surprises about them.

I can definitely see that, good point. Battle Cry just isn't good enough to be the one trick.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Thinking about it some more, I think it's also because Orks have a couple units/cards that are super limited in use, like Squig Bombin' and that one dude who does double damage vs. vehicles. Even Goff Nobs, in my experience, really kinda suck. From my experience, the best Orks are the ones with massive amounts of HP (which seem to be the ork's "thing") for not a lot of resources, especially the Enraged Ork. Dude works really well with the Weirdboy Maniak and the Ork Kannon. But the orks just seem to lack a lot of generally good units, with most of them needing a strange amount of finesse to use. I kinda envisioned orks to be some combination of spammy and with good stat:cost ratios, but not really having that many bells and whistles.

Speaking of putting all your eggs in one basket, has anyone played with the big units? I feel as if the game as it is does not really reward giant fuckoff units (Dreadnaughts, Crisis Armor, like most of the Chaos Elite units, Boss Nob, etc.) since they can be shut down pretty easy and severely limits your ability to cap planets. Even with Fall Back to "save" them, are they playable?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I actually think Orks work better with IG as allies or allied to IG than they do allying in Chaos stuff. Catachan command bunker, environment suits, and Elysians are all hella good additions.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of putting all your eggs in one basket, has anyone played with the big units? I feel as if the game as it is does not really reward giant fuckoff units (Dreadnaughts, Crisis Armor, like most of the Chaos Elite units, Boss Nob, etc.) since they can be shut down pretty easy and severely limits your ability to cap planets. Even with Fall Back to "save" them, are they playable?

I think it's helpful to have a few in your deck. Several times I've been in a position of having more resources then needed, and it's nice to have a way to spend them. It's also nice to have something to put into play with the one planet. I like using the Leman Russ tank for its Command Icons as well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Units like Dreadnoughts and Hell Drakes, etc, force your opponent to seriously reconsider what attacks they make and in what order. You obviously don't just play them for no reason - use them to bully planets you know will be lynchpin for your opponents, or threaten bloodying your opponents warlord in a single hit. But definitely don't just throw them into a fight 'because you want to win' - you need to make sure they're able to fight in the first round of an important combat, so you don't necessarily want them to come into a fight exhausted later on.

Plus it looks like there will be a bunch of cards coming out that only affect non-vehicle units so their relative value (the big vehicle dudes, anyways) might be going up through the first two cycles.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 29, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Orks are definitely short on combat tricks but they make up for it in overwhelming strength I find. As mentioned I'm not using an tokens or units that die in a single area1 attack, they're just not worth it. The card that spawns the Acolytes is just there to provide a cost reduction to one of the daemons.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Nazdreg (Core Set)

Army Unit: (26)
4x Nazdreg’s Flash Gitz (Core Set)
3x Chaos Fanatics (Core Set)
3x Possessed (Core Set)
2x Soul Grinder (Core Set)
3x Splintered Path Acolyte (Core Set)
3x Goff Boyz (Core Set)
3x Weirdboy Maniak (Core Set)
3x Shoota Mob (Core Set)
2x Bad Dok (Core Set)

Attachment: (10)
1x Cybork Body (Core Set)
3x Promotion (Core Set)
3x Rune-Encrusted Armor (Core Set)
3x Rokkit Launcha (Core Set)

Event: (5)
2x Bigga is Betta (Core Set)
1x Promise of Glory (Core Set)
2x Warpstorm (Core Set)

Support: (9)
1x Kraktoof Hall (Core Set)
3x Promethium Mine (Core Set)
3x Ork Kannon (Core Set)
2x Bigtoof Banna (Core Set)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

The Orks are definitely short on combat tricks but they make up for it in overwhelming strength I find. As mentioned I'm not using an tokens or units that die in a single area1 attack, they're just not worth it. The card that spawns the Acolytes is just there to provide a cost reduction to one of the daemons.

Other than shoota boyz anyways, because they're just too good :v:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

S.J. posted:

Other than shoota boyz anyways, because they're just too good :v:

Yeah, Splintered Path Acolyte also dies in a range 1 but really both those units are just to take control of planets. I found that using the neutral units painted a bit too big of a target on that planet for your opponent to want to fight you for it; basically I'd rather not give my opponent a free card or a resource. Tokens and the 0 cost orc unit don't provide command and being able to get those resources is key in this game.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Is there some reason we don't have a WHK40C thread yet?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The same reason we don't have a LOTR or AGoT thread. While there is definite interest, there isn't enough activity to keep them out of the archives.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Fair enough. Anyway, double tourney report for Warhammer Conquest!

I played 2 tournaments over the past 2 weeks and I think I'm comfortable enough to discuss the game on the interwebs now.

The first tournament was a single-core tournament held 2 weeks ago, with the top 2 getting a Howl of Blackmane Warpack (voucher). I ran SM/Tau, as did 2/3s of the field of tryhards. SM/Tau is probably the best single-core lineup and deck construction wise I think there isn't much to discuss, what with it being one core and all. Top 4 was a purely SM/Tau affair and after 4 rounds of Swiss and 2 top 8 elimination rounds I managed to walk away with the warpack voucher. Being new to the game, I just stuck to 'value plays' while taking note of how close the opponent was to winning on planets. There were many mistakes made and plenty of takebacks but everyone was new to the game so it was alright.

The second tournament, which I just came back home from was a full-on constructed tournament. 2 friends and I had bought 2 cores each so we had 6 core sets to share among 3 people. I ran with DE/Chaos after a ton of deliberation since I liked having good spells and recursion for the good spells. Among the three AoE effects Warpstorm is by far the best and most flexible, while Promise of Glory is really good. DE/Chaos are also really solid on the Shields department, what with being able to run 3 Raids and 3 Sufferings (2 Shields each) and a full suite of a bunch of other spells like Archon's Terror and Warpstorm. I played 3 Soul Grinders just because I really liked the card but they never did much for me in all of the games (though they did soak up a lot of hate). I feel like combat in Conquest heavily favours ''a bunch of dudes'' rather than ''one really strong dude'' and since Twisted Laboratory is a thing, AoE doesn't really work against DE/Chaos swarmy tactics. The planet that deals 1 damage to adjacent planets/HQs together with the one that triggers the ability of another planet are genuine problems though, and heavily limit your gameplay options. I think the highlight play of the night was playing Kith's Khymeramasters on side planets on the turn when the opponent was about to win with the first planet, then Khymera Denning them in and avoiding his AoE. Combat in Conquest is tricky to navigate, though I do believe that almost every combat situation has a *right* way of being resolved, give and take incredibly extraordinary Shield icon distribution on your opponents' cards. Murder of Razorwing is incredible on the first planet (especially if you don't particularly need to win it). It immediately replaces itself by discarding, and then has a pseudo-command icon just for being on the first planet, since it auto-wins without your opponent committing something to stop him, leaving you free to take control of the other planets. Slow-rolling turns is also something DE/Chaos handles particularly well, what with Promise of Glory, Murder->Pact of Haemonculus, Raid, Coliseum Fighter into another spell and so on and so forth. On the flip side, Syren Zythlex has an incredible effect for deploying her extremely early. The current card pool has few effects that can remove her/her effects during the Deploy phase (bar Twisted Laboratory) so she can absolutely screw with your opponent's plans.

Sorry for the poor formatting and all-over-the-place rambling. My overall thoughts are that Conquest is a really fun game with a surprising amount of depth. As a Netrunner player, I poo-poohed the game at first but it's surprisingly more complicated than I thought it would be, with more deck diversity than I expected as well. I'm glad I got my playmat early on and hope to play (and win!) more next week with a different deck hopefully.

Decklist:

Packmaster Kith

Army (26)
3x Baleful Mandrake
3x Coliseum Fighters
3x Incubus Warrior
4x Kith's Khymeramasters
3x Murder of Razorwings
3x Soul Grinder
3x Splintered Path Acolyte
1x Syren Zythlex
3x Void Pirate

Attachment (5)
1x Agonizer of Bren
1x Hypex Injector
3x Suffering

Event (14)
3x Archon's Terror
2x Pact of the Haemonculi
3x Promise of Glory
3x Raid
3x Warpstorm

Support (5)
1x Altar of Torment
1x Khymera Den
3x Twisted Laboratory

Created with https://www.conquestdb.com

PS: I would drop one Soul Grinder for a Rogue Trader.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

With as much events as you're running, have you tried the Beastmaster Wyches? I can't tell if they're too expensive for what they do or if they're super worth it for Event heavy DE decks (aka DE decks).

How did you fare against Space Marines (likely your worst line up)? Worst case scenario is a Drop Pod Assault'ed Cardinis wiping out all your X/1 dudes without a chance for you to react. Tau would also be pretty bad I'd think, since they have the potential to get some hardy dudes up for cheap thanks to Shadowsun, with the added effect of being immune to Warpstorm.

Totally going to try the deck, though, since Orks are kinda dull to play right now.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Running out of money while swimming in cards was a situation I faced really often, even with rather liberal use of Shields. Beastmaster is a little too expensive for what it does.

Space Marines was surprisingly okay. AoE isn't really the problem when playing against SM since they can't do anything about Twisted Laboratory. Main things to watch out for are Cato's Stronghold and Captain Cato himself getting value from killing Khymera tokens. Drop Pod Assault isn't that big of a deal since Archon Terror trumps that.

Tau is really sneaky, since Gun Drones are something you can't blank. No one did it on me today, but I can see an Ambush Platformed one doing some real work.

I would recommend the deck for sure. It's got a lot of angles of attack and a lot of options at every point of the game. Really fun to pilot!

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I only have two core sets so I don't know how it'll go, but I'm gonna try your DE deck nyxnyxnyx. I feel like I might not be having 3x some of the important units and it might just all fall apart. Or it might just do okay. I don't know. We'll see!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I don't know if anyone cares, but it looks like CSI restocked Conquest: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/201687

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Double posting, but 5th War Pack announced for Conquest. Something something Spanish Inquisition.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5173

When will we get the 1st War Pack?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Their news page on it only said "4th quarter of 2014", and their store page says "available soon".

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Double posting, but 5th War Pack announced for Conquest. Something something Spanish Inquisition.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5173

When will we get the 1st War Pack?

Pro click right there, thank you sir. Holy freakin snot that dude looks so fun to play. You'd be dropping all kinds of wombo combos with him. I don't know if I am more excited for Coteaz or the Space Wolf dude.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
So which is more likely for the first big box? Nyds or Necrons?
I kinda want Tyranids, ut I feel like we'll get Necrons first.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I thought the first big box would have both.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought the first big box would have both.

I honestly hope not. If you're releasing a new faction, especially if it's something like Tyranids who CANNOT get tools from other factions, you want them to have a lot of support in that one purchase.

For comparison, imagine if no set of magic had more than two slivers. They synergize with one another but you'd never see them played unless they were drastically undercosted and degenerate.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Worst case scenario it's like the SWLCG deluxe expansion for scum and smugglers and you need to buy multiples to get a full playset.

So that's probably what's going to happen.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Devlan Mud posted:

Worst case scenario it's like the SWLCG deluxe expansion for scum and smugglers and you need to buy multiples to get a full playset.

Star Wars didn't need 3 cores though. Although given that this is a Warhammer product I would be surprised if FFG didn't push the amount they taxed the players beyond the normal LCG amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Devlan Mud posted:

It could very well happen, since that expansion wasn't considered a deluxe box as much as it was considered the "Core Set" for those two factions, so it had to have a very broad range of card options.