Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Also, things like getting all your limbs and your jaw broken, and several stabbed wounds, while taking $20 out of an ATM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3peat
May 6, 2010

pigdog posted:

Poor people drinking cheap vodka or other liquors together, getting into a drunken arguments, and then stabbing eachother. Easily 80% of murders follow that pattern. :shrug:

In Romania there's two big categories: 2 peasants getting drunk together and then wacking each other with axes, or one peasant getting drunk alone and wacking his mother in law with his axe

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Our folk homicide is one farmer killing another with a hoe during a water rights dispute. It's a classic.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tevery Best posted:

"Major" is a huge overstatement. The part of Czechoslovakia they gobbled up was a claim of a grand total of 805 square kilometres, with a Polish majority, renounced earlier when it was Poland who had to bend over and take it from the Western powers because of the Bolshevik war. Only other attempts at expansion after 1921 were half-assed attempts to get awarded an African colony.
I said dreams. I'll concede however that the faction in favor of a homogenous Polish state, with its more limited territorial goals, probably did have the upper hand in a significant way by then. Anyway, my real point was more that the current Polish leadership, and any realistic replacements, probably don't dream of "fixing" borders, just their own personal wealth and prestige. Trying to grab an area where Poles are a tiny minority probably doesn't help much in that regard, unlike being a good neighbor that becomes the lynchpin in an anti-Russian bulwark.

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MeLKoR posted:

I came up upon this on wikipedia while reading on another subject but what's with the crazy murder rates in the Baltic countries?

Just looked up wikipedia page and Latvia has the exact same rate as USA. Yeah, that's crazy...

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chemtrail posted:

Just looked up wikipedia page and Latvia has the exact same rate as USA. Yeah, that's crazy...

I was looking at murder rates, sorted the list by continent and it kind of sticks out.

3peat
May 6, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

I was looking at murder rates, sorted the list by continent and it kind of sticks out.

I just did that and nearly fell off my chair when I noticed we're doing better than Norway :catstare:

Then I realized 2011 was the year of the Breivik over there...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Is manslaughter a sport in Greenland? :psyduck:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Russian March is hilarious this year.

'Putinoids work according to Zionists' plans to instigate bloody war between Russian and Ukrainian nations.'

But then there's this

'The Party of Peace and Unity'

'Russian Orthodox Church! Demand that Russian government burns down the mummy of the ginger teraphim (AKA Lenin) who resides at a ziggurat (Mausoleum) that was built based on the throne of SATAN.'

3peat
May 6, 2010

kalstrams posted:

Those drug cartels in the Greenlandian jungles ain't nothing to gently caress with.

Anyway, according to those stats Russia accounts for over half of the murders in Europe (13000 out of 22000), that's pretty hosed up

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

kalstrams posted:

That'd be suicide.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
In case you doubted it, the results of DNR "elections" were apparently indeed pulled from a hat: http://m.tvrain.ru/articles/eksperty_rasskazali_o_falsifikatsii_vyborov_v_dnr-377619/

In short, the vote numbers match the percentages exactly, as if the counts were computed from the percents, not the other way around.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That'd be suicide.
:golfclap:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kalstrams posted:

Greenland's only got about 57,000 permanent residents, so they're pretty susceptible to small changes radically altering such statistics.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Here we go again: http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukr...ies-370640.html

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Russian March is hilarious this year.

'Putinoids work according to Zionists' plans to instigate bloody war between Russian and Ukrainian nations.'

But then there's this

'The Party of Peace and Unity'

'Russian Orthodox Church! Demand that Russian government burns down the mummy of the ginger teraphim (AKA Lenin) who resides at a ziggurat (Mausoleum) that was built based on the throne of SATAN.'

It's somehow very comforting to know that the lunatic fringe is a truly worldwide phenomenon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

3peat posted:

Then I realized 2011 was the year of the Breivik over there...

That's Norway- where noticeably the attacks accounted for 70% of the intentional homicides that year.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Vermain posted:

It's somehow very comforting to know that the lunatic fringe is a truly worldwide phenomenon.

It was discomforting for me to see some of those crazies going "Russians shouldn't be killing Ukrainians" until I realized that's because they meant that they want Russians to be killing Uzbeks and Chechens and other non-Slavic groups instead, so we are not actually in agreement.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

OddObserver posted:

It was discomforting for me to see some of those crazies going "Russians shouldn't be killing Ukrainians" until I realized that's because they meant that they want Russians to be killing Uzbeks and Chechens and other non-Slavic groups instead, so we are not actually in agreement.

What're you, some kind of panslavophobe?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Smerdyakov posted:

What're you, some kind of panslavophobe?

Actually I hate all people equally, without regard to race, ethnicity, or creed. Some of their actions may add some extra, though.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
The more I read MeLKoR and mans posts the more I think we should admit the Portuguese as honorary Eastern Europeans.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

The more I read MeLKoR and mans posts the more I think we should admit the Portuguese as honorary Eastern Europeans.
The horseshoe theory as applied to geographic regions.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

SaltyJesus posted:

But can they squat? :colbert:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Don't get me wrong, the farmer thing isn't as common as it used to be when we were mostly agrarian, I called it a classic because my whole life every few months I've seen the same newspaper headline word for word "farmer kills neighbor with a hoe in rivulet dispute."

This shithole becomes a semi desert in the summer and people go nuts over others "stealing" "their" water.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OddObserver posted:

In case you doubted it, the results of DNR "elections" were apparently indeed pulled from a hat: http://m.tvrain.ru/articles/eksperty_rasskazali_o_falsifikatsii_vyborov_v_dnr-377619/

In short, the vote numbers match the percentages exactly, as if the counts were computed from the percents, not the other way around.

I'm so shocked that the off-brand OSCE observers allowed this to happen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

The number one enemy is still THE JEW.

Here's a shotrt list of known Jews:
- Putin
- Medvedev
- Obama

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

I thought their passports were getting taken at the border? Maybe they got lost again and ended up in Donetsk airport:

https://twitter.com/appleip3/status/529745043662569472

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
In addition to executing people after show of hands, rebel leader Mozgovoi have ordered patrols to arrest women who visits pubs and cafes, because it's against Orthodox values and women who visit pubs becomes whores unsuitable to raising children. Good to see that the terrorists freedom fighters are standing up for russian values.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Islavic State of Donetsk & Luhansk.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Looks like an offensive is going to start soon.

Poroshenko ditched the "special status" for donbass and is deploying more troops to key cities.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29905014?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

I would not be surprised if this whole thing restarted very soon.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sparatuvs posted:

Looks like an offensive is going to start soon.

Poroshenko ditched the "special status" for donbass and is deploying more troops to key cities.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29905014?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

I would not be surprised if this whole thing restarted very soon.

Gotta get it over with so the Red Alliance guys have fresh pics and video for reference.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Snoop Dog: I love Belarus.

http://charter97.org/en/news/2014/11/4/124567/

http://nn.by/?c=ar&i=137864&lang=ru#!nn

quote:

Today Belarusian actively gaining popularity. Wearing T-shirts with vintage ornamental signs, speak Belarusian slowly becoming really fashionable.

Even the most beautiful people somehow started talking about the presence of our national identity, which should be developed. Interesting, but the fashion for Belarusian exists not only in our country.

It is not known how, but the Belarusian national patterns and colors were in the collection of famous rapper Snoop Dogg, who put a few things from the series SNOOP LOVES BELARUS on his page on Instagram. Among the goods c Belarusian ornament - T-shirts, backpacks, cases for phones and tablets. T-shirt, for example, will cost $ 28

Snoop Dogg not only rap artist but also a talented businessman. He has a lot of commercial projects, among them the production of its own line of clothing.

Who knows, perhaps his example will inspire other stars (maybe even domestic) on the Belarusian in their collections ...

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

Dolash posted:

The winter might be a good way to transition from the less-than-reliable "rebels" to authentic Little Green Men,
They are no longer a rebels. After last elections they are now legitimate army of Novorossiya.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Today Belarusian actively gaining popularity. Wearing T-shirts with vintage ornamental signs, speak Belarusian slowly becoming really fashionable.

No, not really, no. It's cool that Belarus is getting exposed for something that is not Lukashenko for once, but at least for Belarus it's a pretty bold statement.
Even on folk festivals 80% of people don't wear traditional clothes. I was at Kamyanitsa three years in a row, and it's a festival that takes place in a historical village and literally lets you in for free if you wear anything with a Belarusian ornament. Still, most people just dress casual there and speak Russian. Funnily, my friend got in for free for wearing a Ukrainian vyshivanka last time, because museum workers who checked tickets couldn't tell it wasn't Belarusian.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
What's wrong with Estonian politics today. Perhaps this...

So the Estonian foreign minister stepped down, the same guy whose conversation with Ashton was recorded last spring. He didn't do a bad job at all come to think of it, 9 and half years as FM. He figured it was time to move on to European parliament.

But his replacement who was announced today is this woman who was previously minister of environment. Has a bachelor's degree in some European Union relations and management of whatever-sort. She was awful at that (such as the plan to raise environmental fees so much in the coming years that our energy companies would get into trouble. As far as I am aware that plan is still in motion) and I can only imagine things would not be good at all if she were to say... having some important talks with Lavrov, who is a real sly fox. Or to stand in for our prime minister in the presence of Merkel or Obama.

It's like they hand out those positions like pieces of candy.

The alternative that was talked about was the chancellor of our foreign ministry who has been an ambassador in both Russia and USA, graduated cum laude in the faculty of law and has been a lecturer of law in the university. But I guess she wasn't in the right party so that immediately disqualified her.

Well it's not like I was going to vote for the Reform party anyway.

Oh hey perhaps I should write something more thorough about the political players and parties in Estonia. I'd probably add in my own opinion about them, which is mostly negative.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Estonian political writeup should be interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2adV6PkgFNA

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

kalstrams posted:

This is amazing. :allears:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

kalstrams posted:

I have no idea what I just watched but was pretty cool, I know that much.

Eye witnesses say 3 of 6 SS-26 Iskander systems have now crossed over from Russia in to Ukraine.

quote:

Russia tightens border with Ukraine operational-tactical missile complex "Iskander".
This said team leader "Information resistance" D. TIMCHUK.

In the border zone of the Russian Federation in front of Donetsk region (Ukraine) recorded the arrival of subsection (6 launchers) tactical missile complexes "Iskander" - he wrote.

In addition, according to "Information resistance" in the border areas opposite the northern regions of Russia Luhansk Oblast personnel FSB Border Troops transferred to a higher level of alert, the option of service - reinforced.

In the area Alchevsk - Stakhanov - Pervomais'k still upset capabilities of the Russian-terrorist forces. Marked the arrival of Russian armored vehicles for "Mechanized Brigade" Ghost "(commander - A.Mozhovyy). After arriving Krasnodon barreled artillery,
- he said.

According to experts, in the band Enakieve-Makiyivka continued deployment of Russian air defense ..

Timchuk also noted that Makeevke arms and military equipment, which comes from Russia, perefarbovuyetsya military equipment under the Armed Forces of Ukraine -in green matte, with drawing two parallel white stripes. Clearly, further discrediting the forces of TU.

http://24tv.ua/home/showSingleNews....campaign=social

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 5, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Political advertisement, Estonian one. Something something giant Estonian prime minister (I think) fighting giant Finnish president in Tallin, if I remember the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Eye witnesses say 3 of 6 SS-26 Iskander systems have now crossed over from Russia in to Ukraine.

http://24tv.ua/home/showSingleNews....campaign=social

So I wonder when the new Patriot missiles will be going in and what lucky country will be receiving them.

• Locked thread