Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Martello posted:

Stop playing video games.

I stopped playing video games, and joined thunderdome a week later.

best decision i ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I joined Thunderdome, became unemployed, and now I have enough time to write AND play video games.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

maybe if you quit video games you'd have enough time to write something good

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

crabrock posted:

:eyepop:

I'm just going to say what everybody's thinking: video game fan fics.

edit: v-- Shipping my script for "Half-Life 3: Full-Life" to Clarkesword as we speak.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 5, 2014

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I published a video game fan fic in a respected magazine, the dream is real

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Doesn't count unless Commander Shepherd is in it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

crabrock posted:

This made me laugh out loud in public

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Doesn't count unless Commander Shepherd is in it.

I don't do erotica.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lovingly, Shepard ran a finger down the blade of Garrus' jawline. "Heard there was a big gun in here. Thought I might see if I could squeeze off a few rounds."
Vakarian's eyes glinted, mischievously. "Might need a little calibration first." He whispered, placing a hand on Shepard's chest. "I was thinking you and I could break out the 'tools,' what'd you s-"
Suddenly Kai Leng came in and hosed everyone because he is the BEST by drew karpyshyn (age 4)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Y'all need to set a daily time aside just to write and nothing else, preferably a time when you almost never have anything else going on and nothing to distract you.

For me, that time is 5 AM to 6:30 AM (so right when I wake up basically). I have a coffee pot set to auto-brew at 4:40, then I get up at 4:50, grab a mug and sit my rear end down. Hours adjust a bit on the weekend based on how late I stay up or if I'm too hungover to write (which does occasionally happen, but I'm writing every day during the week so I don't beat myself up over it).

Get into the habit of making that your dedicated writing time every single day and eventually you'll reach the point where you basically can't get through your day without it.

Hahaha oh poo poo I remember when I was single and didn't have kids.

Those were good times.

All kidding aside, I pinched off 3K after I posted that lollerygag question.

I just need another 7K to get back on track for nano.

edit: AND I DID IT. I didn't need another 7K to get back on track. I just needed to get TO 7K. So there. Tonights chapter: freeform rambling about what it all means. Leading up to some revenge haunting tomorrow.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 5, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

magnificent7 posted:

Hey how do I stop not writing. I need to know asap thanks.

Saying this as someone who just finished a book in roughly 9 months (that seems pretty long, actually... :( )

I did a few things:

1) Minimum wordcount goal. I'd set it pretty low, something achievable, and then once I hit it I'd go "Well, why not another 100?" Some days I'd get a few thousand in, others just the minimum (300 for me. Can be anything though)

2) Never finish writing having finished something. What I mean is, end a writing session in the middle of a paragraph, sentence, or even a wo

It will make you want to get back to writing.

3) If you're writing on a computer, make that poo poo as visually pleasing as possible. My background windows are a light gray, rather than white. It's much easier on the eyes. I also use the program flux https://justgetflux.com/ which tints your computer screen to put far less strain on your head. This means I can write in somewhat dim and ambient light levels, which is super comfy :3: Also, justify your text. Trust me, it looks so much better. Your first draft should be entirely for you so make it look as neat and pleasing as possible.

4) My personal mantra was: always forwards, never back. Even if I utterly despised a section, I'd make a note and keep going, rather than backing up to edit. Always keep that forward momentum.

Hope these help. :)

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012
Getting back to writing (Thanks to being freakishly ill a few weeks ago) has brought me to the wonderful world of editing a story. So far, I've found the story I've written to have a terrible flow and some parts of the story being absolutely lovely parts to write (Oh god why do I write so bad?). It's given me two choices; should I rewrite it into something slightly not terrible or do I trash it and write something new?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Superb Owls posted:

Getting back to writing (Thanks to being freakishly ill a few weeks ago) has brought me to the wonderful world of editing a story. So far, I've found the story I've written to have a terrible flow and some parts of the story being absolutely lovely parts to write (Oh god why do I write so bad?). It's given me two choices; should I rewrite it into something slightly not terrible or do I trash it and write something new?

Go at it with a hacksaw. Take every sentence, every paragraph and try to cut out 50%. Start your story on your second chapter, end your story without your last chapter. You'll be surprised at what it can improve.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

Hahaha oh poo poo I remember when I was single and didn't have kids.

Those were good times.

All kidding aside, I pinched off 3K after I posted that lollerygag question.

I just need another 7K to get back on track for nano.

edit: AND I DID IT. I didn't need another 7K to get back on track. I just needed to get TO 7K. So there. Tonights chapter: freeform rambling about what it all means. Leading up to some revenge haunting tomorrow.

I can't speak for being a parent yet, but I'm actually far more productive now as a married man than I ever was as a single one :)

And poo poo, 7k words in one evening? That's impressive and also a little crazy, but thus is the nature of nano I suppose.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Superb Owls posted:

Depends on how attached you are to the story, and how salvageable it is. And it's always good not to get too attached.

If we're thinking of the same story...I wouldn't say trash it, but I'd only come back to it later, after having written some newer stuff.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Whenever I edit a story, I usually take any long passage longer than a paragraph that I don't like, and rewrite it by hand. I tend to be more confident in handwritten work, and it helps me avoid some of the second-guessing and spur-of-the-moment editing that would come from rewriting within the document. Plus, while I'm trying to figure out what should happen, I avoid leaving an ugly blank spot in the middle of the story. Instead, I can just mark that passage, scribble a new one, and plug it in.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I'm about to do something which has presented itself as a natural course of action, but which I am concerned might be bad practice or lead to bad habits. I'll spare the thread the explanation of how I got to this point.

I'm about to write an entire second draft (blank-page rewrite, 120k words target) in first-person, and then go back and edit the whole thing into third person, in order to achieve ... well, 'voice'.

Is this crazy? Am I going the long way around? Do veteran writers suggest just trying to get the protagonist voice directly into third person?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I got rejected from Apex where I was shortlisted. :arghfist::saddowns:

I just wanted to share my news of crushing defeat. Now to send this poo poo somewhere else.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Hungry posted:

I'm about to do something which has presented itself as a natural course of action, but which I am concerned might be bad practice or lead to bad habits. I'll spare the thread the explanation of how I got to this point.

I'm about to write an entire second draft (blank-page rewrite, 120k words target) in first-person, and then go back and edit the whole thing into third person, in order to achieve ... well, 'voice'.

Is this crazy? Am I going the long way around? Do veteran writers suggest just trying to get the protagonist voice directly into third person?

I'd just write it in third.

Your idea sounds really long winded and is going to be a really painful process because a lot of it will get thrown out anyway. I think you need to decide how important the voice is and how vital/unique/worthwhile it is to the text: if it is that important, maybe just do it in first person; if not, go straight to third limited and tinker afterwards rather than going crazy.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah, it sounds pointlessly excessive. Try writing some journal entries in your character's POV, but you don't need an entire novel's worth. You can journal about general life and then even some key scenes.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
You can get narrative voice across pretty easily in third-person close perspective. And you can get the character's voice across pretty easily in this other thing called dialogue.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Martello posted:

You can get narrative voice across pretty easily in third-person close perspective. And you can get the character's voice across pretty easily in this other thing called dialogue.

when I read dialogue it is almost like I am reading the 'character's' 'voice'.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
you sir

have shifted my entire paradigm

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i read every character's dialogue in my own voice because the smartest, most interesting person i know.

i mostly read romance

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

crabrock posted:

i read every character's dialogue in my own voice because the smartest, most interesting person i know.

i mostly read romance

please dont make out with yourself

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Crabrock slash fic please.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
What's a good place to seek crit if I don't wanna do Thunderdome.

Anathema Device
Dec 22, 2009

by Ion Helmet

chthonic bell posted:

What's a good place to seek crit if I don't wanna do Thunderdome.

If it's less than 1000 words, this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527097

Otherwise make a thread for it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Lovingly, Shepard ran a finger down the blade of Garrus' jawline. "Heard there was a big gun in here. Thought I might see if I could squeeze off a few rounds."
Vakarian's eyes glinted, mischievously. "Might need a little calibration first." He whispered, placing a hand on Shepard's chest. "I was thinking you and I could break out the 'tools,' what'd you s-"
Suddenly Kai Leng came in and hosed everyone because he is the BEST by drew karpyshyn (age 4)

lol i missed this, lmao

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

lol i missed this, lmao
I can't believe I used stops instead of commas in the second dialogue. I should be shot.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I dunno where else to put this, but what's the general attitude towards telling a story in present tense? I seem to have an easier time writing in the present tense, but I've not seen a great many works (esp. speculative fiction works) that do it.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

chthonic bell posted:

I dunno where else to put this, but what's the general attitude towards telling a story in present tense? I seem to have an easier time writing in the present tense, but I've not seen a great many works (esp. speculative fiction works) that do it.

Some editors hate it, but it's not that uncommon.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chthonic bell posted:

I don't mind it if the story is done well AND there's a reason for the narrator to have a voice in present tense. I particularly enjoyed Scott Turrow's use of it in Presumed Innocent.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
present tense works really good for present or near future-y stuff imo

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Not so much fantasy, I take it?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Some people like it, some people don't. I don't use it often, and I'm not sure I've ever used it well, but sometimes I just want that sense of immediacy it brings.

I don't know that I've ever thought of it as a genre-specific thing, though.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
People are really afraid of writing in the present tense or are cautious about recommending it because it can be really weird when done badly, but I think it can work. Just read more of it and get proficient at it. It took me ages to realise that the Luisa Rey portions of Cloud Atlas were in present tense, but it gives it a certain effect.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Second person and present tense :getin:

Piss everyone's sensibilities off.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
To be fair, some of the best fantasy stories are written in second-person present.

"You see a knight. If you attack the knight, turn to page 256. If you run away, turn to page 128."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Present tense is fine in fantasy and science fiction, and it's especially common in short form.

• Locked thread