Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

thats never stopped anybody in c++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the fact that nobody understands the language well enough to do crazy things with it is a feature

the thing is oop isn't really crazy obscure poo poo for assholes, it's essential for a lot of people. so you end up with developers poorly hacking the language to do some kind of class-based oop

javascript is a poorly designed language and it's not by chance that it has so many transcompilers, people want to get out of it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the most publicised "plus" of javascript is people making new languages of it, so yeah

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

thats never stopped anybody in c++

brb metaprogramming a templating language to properly respond to this post

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
write up a shitposting DSL tia

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

/me opens up boost spirit documentation

*runs away screaming*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i guess theres nothing wrong with spirit per se but it enables so many terrible ideas

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i like big boost and i cant lie

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

hobbesmaster posted:

i guess theres nothing wrong with spirit per se but it enables so many terrible ideas

have you ever tried compiling even the tiniest c++ toy program that uses spirit? its brutal
i am not sure how much of that is the compiler's fault but that stuff takes forever to compile even with SSDs

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

syntaxrigger posted:

same

does anyone have any pointers on how to steer a programming career? I am poo poo at everything and interested in most things, have trouble deciding what to focus on but I can't keep this Jack of All trades crap up for too much longer.

I'm a freelancer but I've been thinking about this a bit, and the kind of jobs I want to do. I started up as a PSD chopper, but really my focus is on being a front end developer for mobile web apps, and basically that's what I do now. Laugh if you want cause I'm a terrible web dev, but I'm a terrible web dev seemingly in demand. :D

Anyway my MO is to take jobs that scare me, that have big quotes, whether its an interesting technical problem that furthers my area of expertise, namely thick front end web apps, or just some intense clients with exacting standards.

Either way, I think the jobs you take should make you a little bit nervous. The fear is there because you know you're capable but you might gently caress it up. Being scared of failure can produce your best work as long as you don't be stupid. (agree to unrealistic deadlines, mismanage clients, etc)

So for me, its to seek out hard work and ignore easy money churns, it was hard to do for a while because I have to support my family, but its paid off so far. Might not be rolling in cash but I'm turning into the developer I want to be whilst not starving so hooray I guess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

have you ever tried compiling even the tiniest c++ toy program that uses spirit? its brutal
i am not sure how much of that is the compiler's fault but that stuff takes forever to compile even with SSDs

well, spirit is a huge abuse of the c++ language so it should not be unexpected

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hobbesmaster posted:

/me opens up boost spirit documentation

*runs away screaming*

I tried to understand the BGL once but it was like staring into the sun

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

how bad is VBA anyway a guy I know wants me to do Something in it for his business

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Maluco Marinero posted:

I'm a freelancer but I've been thinking about this a bit, and the kind of jobs I want to do. I started up as a PSD chopper, but really my focus is on being a front end developer for mobile web apps, and basically that's what I do now. Laugh if you want cause I'm a terrible web dev, but I'm a terrible web dev seemingly in demand. :D

Anyway my MO is to take jobs that scare me, that have big quotes, whether its an interesting technical problem that furthers my area of expertise, namely thick front end web apps, or just some intense clients with exacting standards.

Either way, I think the jobs you take should make you a little bit nervous. The fear is there because you know you're capable but you might gently caress it up. Being scared of failure can produce your best work as long as you don't be stupid. (agree to unrealistic deadlines, mismanage clients, etc)

So for me, its to seek out hard work and ignore easy money churns, it was hard to do for a while because I have to support my family, but its paid off so far. Might not be rolling in cash but I'm turning into the developer I want to be whilst not starving so hooray I guess.

im the software developer capable of quoting realistic deadlines

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

how bad is VBA anyway a guy I know wants me to do Something in it for his business

bad

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Amazon wants to give me a phone interview Friday. Just got the study guide email from a very nice amazonian.

Is this going to be one of those "gently caress this!" interviews or do I have a chance in hell? I already have an offer for a very good salary where I am and I'm waiting on the SF place, so this is largely to see if I can do it.

So, wtf do they tend to do? And how far do you have to go to even be considered?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Workbook.Open returns a workbook, while Workbook.OpenText (to parse a delimited file as a spreadsheet for example) returns a void so good luck reliably referring to it

just one tiny lil example of how loving bad VBA is

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all of the office api is horrific and using vba means you have to deal with a bad language as well.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

aaaaaaaaaaaag

well he is the owner of a cardiology practice so I could probably squeeze a lot of cash out of him as hazard pay

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gently caress them posted:

Amazon wants to give me a phone interview Friday. Just got the study guide email from a very nice amazonian.

Is this going to be one of those "gently caress this!" interviews or do I have a chance in hell? I already have an offer for a very good salary where I am and I'm waiting on the SF place, so this is largely to see if I can do it.

So, wtf do they tend to do? And how far do you have to go to even be considered?

get a hands free headset and pleasure yourself throughout the interview

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

all of the office api is horrific and using vba means you have to deal with a bad language as well.
is there a good c# lib for interacting with word docs and maybe spreadsheets without using the office api?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you want to edit/create documents the openxml sdk is very good. it doesn't do display, though

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Bloody posted:

im the software developer capable of quoting realistic deadlines

There's ballpark and there's stupid razor thin, and that's all part of the negotiation process.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

is there a good c# lib for interacting with word docs and maybe spreadsheets without using the office api?

yeah it's called Console.WriteLine because gently caress office

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

http://www.officewriter.com/ exists i have no idea if it is good or poo poo and it is probably expensive

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

http://www.officewriter.com/ exists i have no idea if it is good or poo poo and it is probably expensive
yeah thanks that looks interesting but id feel bad getting work to pay for something for a toy project

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

BONGHITZ posted:

get a hands free headset and pleasure yourself throughout the interview

Literally everyone I talk to about this says "Do not work for amazon."

How the gently caress are they that bad?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gently caress them posted:

Literally everyone I talk to about this says "Do not work for amazon."

How the gently caress are they that bad?

somebody posted average employee tenure numbers recently. google was second-to-last with 1.1 years; amazon was 1

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

prefect posted:

somebody posted average employee tenure numbers recently. google was second-to-last with 1.1 years; amazon was 1

I had a recruiter in Seattle say "if you get flown out by amazon I'll get you some interviews; they'll move you out."

It's like amazon is either a trap for ambitious fresh grads or Seattle's gatekeeper for out of state programmers.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I've heard amazon is bad and the manager I had that used to work there was awful

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
I've heard very polarized opinions about working for Amazon. some people say it's literal hell on earth, and some people say it's awesome.

I interpret this as it being very dependent on the team you get placed with.

Seattle owns though, and there's so many tech jobs you'll probably get one by accident at some point.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Plastic Snake posted:

I've heard very polarized opinions about working for Amazon. some people say it's literal hell on earth, and some people say it's awesome.

I interpret this as it being very dependent on the team you get placed with.

or the more obvious: awful ppl like it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

theadder posted:

or the more obvious: awful ppl like it

i have a friend who i strongly suspect has an undiagnosed personality disorder who loves working at epic

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
im not naming names but there is a shortlist in the industry of "who you don't want to work for" and it's not terribly difficult to come up with it if you piece together things

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
of course people still will go to them out of desperation or a big offer, but they generally don't last unless they just happen to deal well with the various horrible aspects

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

name names

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

save lives

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
sorry you don't poop in your own yard when there are other yards that are far more guilt free to poop in

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sniep posted:

im not naming names but there is a shortlist in the industry of "who you don't want to work for" and it's not terribly difficult to come up with it if you piece together things

- Anyone running my most recent company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

fart simpson posted:

i have a friend who i strongly suspect has an undiagnosed personality disorder who loves working at epic

game studio or the one who does medical software?

either way lol

• Locked thread