Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Miko posted:

I am rolling with my beat-up 80-200 two-ring and I will not touch ANYTHING else, you hear?
It's a beast. I loved the one I had. I've previously gone into detail on how beat-up it is, but it's never rarely let me down. As opposed to the 70-200s we replaced them with, which seem to have the focus motors crap out every other month. Worst I've had with the old 80-200 is the aperture mechanism failing and sticking wide-open, which is still useable in daylight if you turn the ISO all the way down and the shutter all the way up, and makes no difference with nighttime sports.

Well, and it only works on the newer backup bodies -- the mount is so worn-out that if the camera's mount is also worn, the electrical contacts won't always line up. But on a fresh body, the slop in the lens end of the mount isn't enough to break it.

This week's football was a 70-0 blowout by the home team. At homecoming :3:. They didn't run up the score; only one TD by the benchwarmers they put in in the second half.

My only problem with the D7000 is the burst framerate. Next frame he had it down at neck level. I would've liked something in between.

Wide shot of the visitors literally tripping over each other and failing to stop a punt return. :v:

Really should've bumped the contrast a bit here.

Sucks to be this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002
Manual focus sports photography is hard (with terrible 1970s lenses, too)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I gotta say I dig those, especially the top one. What were you using?

widunder
May 2, 2002

DJExile posted:

I gotta say I dig those, especially the top one. What were you using?
135mm Soligor that I paid five bucks for on a X-E1.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Rec sports are serious business

intensity by dshenphotos, on Flickr
This is the face of a pulled hamstring

bentley 1 by dshenphotos, on Flickr

krisia suplex by dshenphotos, on Flickr

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
That ref tells me everything I need to know about the level of play, I love it.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Miko posted:

That ref tells me everything I need to know about the level of play, I love it.

Hahaha yeah that's pretty amazing.

At football last weekend I decided to camp out in one corner of the field and just shoot with the light instead of chasing action up and down the field. I was pretty happy with the results.

^ interception

^ after a surprise onside kick they recovered to seal the game, crazy play

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that guy high-stepping into the end zone owns a bunch

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BobTheCow posted:

^ interception

That photographer is probably looking at his version of that moment and wishing he was you.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I hate shooting in that stadium. Everything in the background makes the game look almost pub league.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I brought my camera (Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Olympus 45mm f/1.8) to the Saddledome tonight for the Flames vs. Predators game.

I've posted the album here: http://imgur.com/a/0cYMM

I could really use some critique, keeping in mind that I'm not credentialed media, or probably even allowed to have my camera with me.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here
I don't ordinarily do sports photography but the Marine Corp Marathon pretty much shut down my side of the DC metro so I decided to shoot it.

MCM 2 (2) by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

MCM 3 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

MCM 12 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

MCM 5 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

MCM 13 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

MCM 17 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

I think this the first time I have ever maxed out a CF card, and I only ended up liking about 15 of ~1000 frames I took.

iammeandsoareyou fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 2, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

iammeandsoareyou posted:

I think this the first time I have ever maxed out a CF card, and I only ended up liking about 15 of ~1000 frames I took.
That's how it goes. I usually shoot about a hundred frames in half a football game, open 15-20 in Photoshop, and end up with 5-10 good enough to put on the internet, of which the sports editors pick one for print.

Especially with the pans, it was worth it. You got more good panning shots at that one event than I have in my entire career. My best, though not sports:

Sorry it's so small, I'm too lazy to find the hard drive with the full-size version, so I pulled it from my ancient portfolio site. Man, I really need to update that.

I want to track down that one person on the sidewalk and slap them for ruining an otherwise perfect photo.

Last week's handegg was kinda crap (fairly even match and a lot of rushing up the middle), here's this week's. Same team as my last post, 85-14 this time; 8 TDs on 16 plays in the first half. Makes it hard for us photographers when the local team only has the ball for a minute and a half per quarter.

It was really hard to even get the opposing team in the shot -- longest drive was four plays in 36 seconds, most of the time they just ran the kickoff/punt/interception all the way in.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Older photo of mine, but relevant for today. (sorry about the watermark, they get their panties in a bunch when I don't include it)

Adrian

And this is seconds before I was taken out completely destroying my lens. Yay insurance!

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 2, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nexxai posted:

I brought my camera (Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Olympus 45mm f/1.8) to the Saddledome tonight for the Flames vs. Predators game.

I could really use some critique, keeping in mind that I'm not credentialed media, or probably even allowed to have my camera with me.

They aren't bad pictures and you've got some awesome seats. W/B seems good (not the easiest to do in ice arenas sometimes). They do come off a bit snap-shotty but that's largely because of your lack of credentialed access. If you want to try getting some more action shots, you may try looking at some local arenas to see if you can photograph youth/high school//juniors games from the bench areas or portals (if they have them).

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

DJExile posted:

They aren't bad pictures and you've got some awesome seats. W/B seems good (not the easiest to do in ice arenas sometimes). They do come off a bit snap-shotty but that's largely because of your lack of credentialed access. If you want to try getting some more action shots, you may try looking at some local arenas to see if you can photograph youth/high school//juniors games from the bench areas or portals (if they have them).

When I shoot hockey I don't even care for shooting in the portals much. If I can get the crash box, I'll do that. I like shooting with my long lens from the handicap seating.

The Monk
Mar 11, 2008

nexxai posted:

The issue I think you have, the same most sports photo hobbyists have, is that you approach event from a purely technical approach, praying for the incredible peak action photo (which never comes). You have to shoot for emotion, shoot past the whistle on plays, you had an entire stadium behind you take reaction shots of fans, you had the approach to the stadium and you had the walk back to the car/away from the stadium. There's a reason you go to games, it's a giant encompassing event with sounds, feels and emotions. You may as well have just been taking photos of your tv during the game, because that's what it looked like (and you probably would have gotten better photos than what that album has).

Here's my photos for a story I wrote on a Qatari flag football league. Hopefully it kinda get's the point across (I'm not a sports photog) to what I'm saying, I only used two action shots.

The Monk fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 3, 2014

widunder
May 2, 2002

The Monk posted:

The issue I think you have, the same most sports photo hobbyists have, is that you approach event from a purely technical approach, praying for the incredible peak action photo (which never comes). You have to shoot for emotion, shoot past the whistle on plays, you had an entire stadium behind you take reaction shots of fans, you had the approach to the stadium and you had the walk back to the car/away from the stadium. There's a reason you go to games, it's a giant encompassing event with sounds, feels and emotions. You may as well have just been taking photos of your tv during the game, because that's what it looked like (and you probably would have gotten better photos than what that album has).

Here's my photos for a story I wrote on a Qatari flag football league. Hopefully it kinda get's the point across (I'm not a sports photog) to what I'm saying, I only used two action shots.
These are amazing.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

The Monk posted:

This reminds me of when I shot pictures for a story about a football club here in Norway. It was for a football magazine, but they didn't want the usual in-game action pictures. So I ended up going to one of their training sessions.

It was a great experience and I think you're very right. You focus to much on the action that is happening on the pitch and forget to capture the emotions. This is something that I forget as well.

(These may be a repost, though)

Lyn-trening by azathosk, on Flickr

azathosk fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 3, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

This reminds me of when I shot pictures for a story about a football club here in Norway. It was for a football magazine, but they didn't want the usual in-game action pictures. So I ended up going to one of their training sessions.

It was a great experience and I think you're very right. You focus to much on the action that is happening on the pitch and forget to capture the emotions. This is something that I forget as well.

I really like this but the W/B is bothering me. Can you balance it for the snow or the line?

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

I really like this but the W/B is bothering me. Can you balance it for the snow or the line?

Thanks. I'll see what I can do (if I can find the .cr2-file, I had this HDD-crash a while ago...).

The reason for leaving the w/b like that was that they wanted a certain feel for the image. My editor wanted to show that it was done in the evening, with all the yellow lights and everything, but I understand very well why you want to see it changed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aaah that's fair.

Yeah the amber glow does give a neat ambiance to it in that context.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
So it's probably been several years since I've posted in The Dorkroom, but I've been shooting Virginia Tech football for one of the VT blogs (after shooting for the student paper while I was in school), so here's a few from last week's game that I liked:

(Guess who lost)

This is the most football I've shot in years and I'm quickly realizing I need to invest in a 300 since I can no longer borrow the paper's :(

BobTheCow posted:

A bunch of Wahoo photos

Will you be joining us in Blacksburg in a few weeks? :haw:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Frinkahedron posted:

Will you be joining us in Blacksburg in a few weeks? :haw:

Yep, I'll be there. I've been out to Tech a handful of times before, but not for football, so I'm looking forward to it. I just wish the stupid game was on Saturday instead of the day after Thanksgiving.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Delivery McGee posted:

I want to track down that one person on the sidewalk and slap them for ruining an otherwise perfect photo.

I know. It was all I could do in Lightroom to get the runner's face at all legible. At least now you can read his face if you stop and look at the photo. Before it had almost no definition. She is standing in exactly the right spot and is exactly the right height to perfectly ruin the subject. Of course all the other shots in the burst were unusable blurs. Fortunately photography is just a hobby for me. If I did this for a living I would be tearing my hair out. Not only was this an otherwise great shot, that was the winning runner.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Yeah, I got pretty lucky with a buddy to score season tickets in the lower bowl. As for the youth shooting, I've actually started asking around but not many of my friends play sports or have kids who play sports. I'm going to keep asking anyways.

The Monk posted:

and you probably would have gotten better photos than what that album has
I didn't expect to be jerked off here or anything, but Jesus, I'm just starting out.

To your other point, I will definitely work on getting more crowd/environment shots. I get so caught up in the game myself that I forget other people are there for the same reason.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

nexxai posted:

I didn't expect to be jerked off here or anything, but Jesus, I'm just starting out.

but he isn't wrong. one thing with sports photos is to not get emotionally attached or you are set for disappointed.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

BobTheCow posted:

Yep, I'll be there. I've been out to Tech a handful of times before, but not for football, so I'm looking forward to it. I just wish the stupid game was on Saturday instead of the day after Thanksgiving.

Excellent, come say hi when you get into the work room (I just hope it's not a goddamned 11AM kickoff).

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

nexxai posted:

Keep shooting and sharing! I'm also pretty new to doing sports stuff, mostly shooting rec sports and pick up stuff for now. I've been told that pictures I share are

1. Totally worthless and should be immediately deleted
2. Great

on the same page of posts I think.

In more relevant news, I may be getting a chance to do some highlight videos (not stills, sorry if this is the wrong space to ask) at some Division I college bball. I'm probably gonna be using my 600D. Basketball arenas are so much smaller than football, what kind of lenses should I consider using? My friend has a Tamrom 17-50mm f/2.8 that I can probably borrow which seems like it will be a solid choice. Are there any other obvious choices?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

hi liter posted:

In more relevant news, I may be getting a chance to do some highlight videos (not stills, sorry if this is the wrong space to ask) at some Division I college bball. I'm probably gonna be using my 600D. Basketball arenas are so much smaller than football, what kind of lenses should I consider using? My friend has a Tamrom 17-50mm f/2.8 that I can probably borrow which seems like it will be a solid choice. Are there any other obvious choices?

For stills I use a 70-200 almost exclusively.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

hi liter posted:

Keep shooting and sharing! I'm also pretty new to doing sports stuff, mostly shooting rec sports and pick up stuff for now. I've been told that pictures I share are

1. Totally worthless and should be immediately deleted
2. Great

on the same page of posts I think.

You know, that 17-50's probably your best bet.

Here's a photo from a remote on the ground in front of me at 17mm on a 1.5x sensor (so ~25mm on full frame or ~15mm on Canon crop)
2012-02-08_NKneer_UTMBball-v-Ohio_011 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

and the same moment at 70mm on a 1.3x sensor (~90mm on full frame or ~65mm on Canon crop)
2012-02-08_NKneer_UTMBball-v-Ohio_057 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Both are uncropped. I chose horizontals because that's how you'll be shooting video. The downside to the 17-50 is that it'll be too short for anything on the other side of the court (you'd need at least 200mm for that), and it won't be great for things happening on the perimeter, as it'll be short. However, I think your framing is going to be really difficult with 70mm on a crop sensor in horizontal orientation when people get to the basket, which is where your meat and potatoes is going to be.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

nexxai posted:

Don't give yourself an excuse that way, obviously everyone starts somewhere, but you gotta self-edit. They're technically fine photos but they're not photos that a publication would use or anything. They're fine for showing to your buds or whatever but if you really wanted to learn, DJExile's advice is great. Go to an event where you can shoot without all the glass and poo poo in the way. If the only you got going for your pictures is the location of your seat then they might not be worth posting, you know?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Geektox posted:

Don't give yourself an excuse that way, obviously everyone starts somewhere, but you gotta self-edit. They're technically fine photos but they're not photos that a publication would use or anything. They're fine for showing to your buds or whatever but if you really wanted to learn, DJExile's advice is great. Go to an event where you can shoot without all the glass and poo poo in the way. If the only you got going for your pictures is the location of your seat then they might not be worth posting, you know?

Also, if you have your heart set on NHL, most teams have open practice times for media at their practice rink. Contact their press guys and ask. Chances are they'll let you.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pukestain Pal posted:

For stills I use a 70-200 almost exclusively.

Full frame or APS-H, this is probably the best choice. Its what I used for basketball last year, at least. The guys with the crops had 24-70's from what I saw, though, which might be better? Under the net, 70mm was really tight on the 1D and I ended up shooting mostly vertical.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Pukestain Pal posted:

Also, if you have your heart set on NHL, most teams have open practice times for media at their practice rink. Contact their press guys and ask. Chances are they'll let you.
This is good advice. As soon as they're back from their current road-trip, I'll be doing this. I would have never thought about going to a practice. Thanks!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Full frame or APS-H, this is probably the best choice. Its what I used for basketball last year, at least. The guys with the crops had 24-70's from what I saw, though, which might be better? Under the net, 70mm was really tight on the 1D and I ended up shooting mostly vertical.

Depends on where your space is. Mine was more towards the outside, so the 70 was just about right for the basket.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pukestain Pal posted:

Depends on where your space is. Mine was more towards the outside, so the 70 was just about right for the basket.

Sure, I was shooting non-NCAA college basketball - usually in a small multipurpose gym without a lot of space away from the court lines. I had a lot more room during the finals which was at a much bigger space.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Back again with some wrasslin! bit of a mix of action & Promo shots.

EPW Xpress Shoot by bang3rachi, on Flickr

EPW Xpress Shoot by bang3rachi, on Flickr

EPW - Road to Glory by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Full set Here

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This one is hilarious and I love it. Love the Road Warrior Animal lookalike too.

Also holy poo poo you caught that chop at exactly the right moment, jesus :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Thanks dude, it was super rushed and the cage section was being held up by some trainees so the dude in the purple was making GBS threads himself. I was trying to get a chop for months!