Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Has anybody ever actually had success with bombs of any kind? My brother is more the imperial and i never see him take any.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
With that Firespray, I would take bombs. Three bombs on a six-skill, 3/2/6/4 large ship that can drop them with a 3-straight or hard-3 template (or a 1-straight, if you don't feel like being fancy)? That's pretty nice, and if you want to be extra cheeky you can use the 3-straight and then an inertial dampener to both hit someone with a bomb and a good shot from your rear arc.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Doubly awesome with the FAQ update to proximity mines that do explode if you place them on a ship :dance:

I'm liking the look of the scum faction, just means I have more ships I want to buy but can't currently justify coughing up cash for :psyduck:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Speaking of ships, Outrider and the Decimator still haven't released sneakily right? We're still waiting on that?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Speaking of ships, Outrider and the Decimator still haven't released sneakily right? We're still waiting on that?

Yes, as far as I know. I'm hanging out on a Decimator personally.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

:neckbeard:
X-Wing Alliance!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wonder what the next wave will bring for Imperials and Rebels. There's good mileage out of Scum especially since they still need a full wave or two's worth of releases to get up to the same number of ships as Imps/Rebs, but it feels like they're kind of reaching the bottom of the barrel.

Imperials still need the Avenger (whether it's an x1 title like I want it to be or a separate ship), the Xg1 and maybe the Missile Boat, and you could make an argument for something like the DX9 Stormtrooper Transport, although it'd be a weird what with the game not having real objective play. After that, they'd have to move on to the remote-controlled TIE variants.

As for Rebels, short of giving them rereleases of Imperial ships and a bunch more of the YT series, I have no idea what they could do.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
T-WING!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, T-wing and R-41 seem likely bets, with reskin options for S&V.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Would be a scum ship, since the Rebellion took one look at it and said "Yeah, this doesn't do anything the A-Wing doesn't do better" and sold them all to pirates.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

Would be a scum ship, since the Rebellion took one look at it and said "Yeah, this doesn't do anything the A-Wing doesn't do better" and sold them all to pirates.

Ditto the R-41, which the Rebels stopped using by the time they had the X-wing mass-produced, and which is better known for being used by pirates in the EU. We're much more likely to see both of these as Scum ships with later Rebel variants than the other way around.

I guess that's another option: start releasing dual-faction blister packs, so the R-41 would come with two Scum pilots and two Rebel pilots or whatever.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 5, 2014

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They could also start re-releasing ships with alternate paint, upgrades, and pilot cards. That's my bet for how the Avenger comes out.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I wonder what the next wave will bring for Imperials and Rebels. There's good mileage out of Scum especially since they still need a full wave or two's worth of releases to get up to the same number of ships as Imps/Rebs, but it feels like they're kind of reaching the bottom of the barrel.

Imperials still need the Avenger (whether it's an x1 title like I want it to be or a separate ship), the Xg1 and maybe the Missile Boat, and you could make an argument for something like the DX9 Stormtrooper Transport, although it'd be a weird what with the game not having real objective play. After that, they'd have to move on to the remote-controlled TIE variants.

As for Rebels, short of giving them rereleases of Imperial ships and a bunch more of the YT series, I have no idea what they could do.

Paging FFG for Assault Gunboat.

Stormtrooper Transport for both factions.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

Stormtrooper Transport for both factions.

I'd rather see the screen-canon Sentinel than the legless AT-AT Delta. We aren't under any pressure to save polygons by designing a ship that looks like a box.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Okay Assault Transport is pretty cool.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
How about a K-Wing? I was looking at Star Wars ships on wikipedia and this would potentially be interesting as a turreted/360 firing arc small ship.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

The assault gunboat is the Xg-1.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The assault gunboat is the Xg-1.

I know, I was seconding it. I just didn't want to sound like a gigantic turbonerd by calling it the XG-1 StarWing by Cygnus Spaceworks

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

I know, I was seconding it. I just didn't want to sound like a gigantic turbonerd by calling it the XG-1 StarWing by Cygnus Spaceworks

There's four or five sets of decently homebrewed stats for it online, and Gosric's even already done a model for it on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/model/1645123/xg-1-star-wing-assault-gunboat-1-270.html

The only reason I'm holding off on getting it is because the Xg-1 has to be coming soon (there's very little else left to release for Imps) and I don't want to get something that's out of scale with the official sculpt. Otherwise, look at how good it looks:

:swoon:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's four or five sets of decently homebrewed stats for it online, and Gosric's even already done a model for it on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/model/1645123/xg-1-star-wing-assault-gunboat-1-270.html

The only reason I'm holding off on getting it is because the Xg-1 has to be coming soon (there's very little else left to release for Imps) and I don't want to get something that's out of scale with the official sculpt. Otherwise, look at how good it looks:

HHNNNGGGGGGGG

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Those wings actually fold/unfold like the Lambda's, too.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

want that tiny spaceship

Bob Smith posted:

How about a K-Wing? I was looking at Star Wars ships on wikipedia and this would potentially be interesting as a turreted/360 firing arc small ship.

Looks like the Starwars version of

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Those wings actually fold/unfold like the Lambda's, too.

Unreliably and with a due sense of dread?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You already know but man am I ever gonna get a couple of those when/if they come out officially. The general consensus on stats seems to be something along the lines of a 2/2/4/3 (mostly people seem to change the amount of shields/hull), with a dial slightly worse than the X-Wing and missiles, cannons and even system upgrades.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm really confused at what role it's really going to play beside highly modifiable gunboat, which in a way is already fulfilled by the Shuttle. I could only suppose that the Assault Gunboat could be to the Shuttle what the TIE Interceptor is to the TIE Fighter - more offensively based but losing the support roles the Shuttle can fill.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

I'm really confused at what role it's really going to play beside highly modifiable gunboat, which in a way is already fulfilled by the Shuttle. I could only suppose that the Assault Gunboat could be to the Shuttle what the TIE Interceptor is to the TIE Fighter - more offensively based but losing the support roles the Shuttle can fill.
I think making it a smaller shuttle fits, considering the fluff for the shuttle/assault gunboat. Obviously you wouldn't want it to replace the shuttle altogether, which might make it tricky. Most of the homebrewed stats for it also acknowledge that letting it have 2 attack and a cannon slot (which makes sense in terms of what we know about the assault gunboat) would just mean that the HLC is an autopick for it. It might be interesting to have a Y-Wing analogue title for it that allows you to fire both primary and secondary as long as you have an ion cannon, or something along those lines.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

I'm really confused at what role it's really going to play beside highly modifiable gunboat, which in a way is already fulfilled by the Shuttle.

I think that if it's a 2/2/4/3 or something with two missile slots and a cannon slot on a ship that doesn't have systems or crew, it would definitely give it a niche that isn't filled by the Shuttle, especially if it has a TIE Bomber dial (or very slightly better).

That would still let the Bomber have its role (pure ordnance and bombs, although they really need a pilot with something like Emon's ability) and the Shuttle be a heavily-armed but ponderous gunship or a support ship (depending on configuration), while the Xg-1 is kind of an Imperial Y-wing: a solid ship with basically average to poor manoeuvrability and out-of-the-box offensive stats, but good survivability and the ability to mount some useful options to have better offence.

The only problem is how you'd price it. PS1 Bomber is 16, PS1 Shuttle is 21, you'd have to have the PS1 Gunboat at 18 which is pricy for a ship that wants some ordnance and a cannon to justify being taken. That said, with the new Most Wanted cannons and the steady release of new ordnance, that would probably give it enough versatility that it's worth taking one in your list, especially if the pilot abilities are good.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 5, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The TIE Bomber is actually PS2 for 16 points and the Omicron Group Pilot for the Shuttle is also PS2. But you do make some pretty good points, as the Empire is generally lacking a Y-Wing equivalent ship.

e: I think any potential Gunboat will definitely be above 20 points for the PS1 Generic.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

The TIE Bomber is actually PS2 for 16 points and the Omicron Group Pilot for the Shuttle is also PS2. But you do make some pretty good points, as the Empire is generally lacking a Y-Wing equivalent ship.

e: I think any potential Gunboat will definitely be above 20 points for the PS1 Generic.

Whoops, you're right. That prices them at 15 and 20 respectively, since one point of PS is worth one point most of the time.

If the Xg-1 is priced above 20 points for the PS1/2 generic, that will probably severely restrict its use, but I guess I could see that. Considering that a point of hull is 3 points, and you're most likely paying a premium to have shields instead of just hull, I could see the PS1 Xg-1 at 18-19 points, so potentially a 20-point PS2 Xg-1 as the lowest generic (and then something like a PS4 Tau Group pilot).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

That's basically a TIE Advanced, but cheaper and with more options and better hull/shields. I doubt it would be below 20 points.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't think it should be below 20 points, but it would be distinct from the T/A in that it would have a much worse dial, no barrel roll or evade and one less agility (or even two less agility).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alg posted:

That's basically a TIE Advanced, but cheaper and with more options and better hull/shields. I doubt it would be below 20 points.

It's a Y-wing with one less hull, one more evade, a cannon instead of a turret, no astromech and two missiles instead of two torpedoes. :shrug:

e; and a slightly better dial, it's true.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a Y-wing with one less hull, one more evade, a cannon instead of a turret, no astromech and two missiles instead of two torpedoes. :shrug:

e; and a slightly better dial, it's true.

Even then, until things change, missiles are much, much better than torpedoes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Here's my list of poo poo I own

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?page=view&resid=1F000868A90E378C!1889&authkey=!AHke7EZex_frrOQ

Someone make me a rebel list and an empire list 100 points each that is easy to use please :(

I am terrible at this game

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Really depends on what you like to fly to be honest. What ships do you do well with when you play? For rebels you can fly a pretty easy XXBB list, I like Wedge and Biggs with two Blue Squadrons, but there is a lot of room to tinker with a basic XXBB. With Imperials it is a lot more about what you feel comfortable flying: Soontir/Phantoms/Swarms etc.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I haven't done well with any ships, but I've done particularly bad with the rebels in general. I'll try XXBB. Are there upgrade cards I need on that?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you go for wedge/biggs/blue/blue, you have 2 points spare to pick what you want, really. Otherwise, there aren't any other upgrade cards.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'd posit that for someone who claims to be bad at the game, XXBB is not a forgiving list. Paul would set up asteroids in such manner that he could hide behind them with Biggs 3 turns later while allowing full unimpeded shots from the b-wings. Unfortunately I can't view the list using a mobile but making a buzz saw type list that kills enemies as they come into range seems to be an easier build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think generally XXBB is easier to set up and play without necessarily using high level tactics like the ones you mentioned as opposed to something that uses a specific combo. I guess a Han list would probably be better, although since I don't usually fly them I'm not sure what would be something easy to fly alongside it.

• Locked thread