Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Is United Voice a lovely union?

Word on the ground from people I know who work with them. Apparently, useless. BCR might know more than me wherever the beautiful poster is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Shots fired. Casualties reported.

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross

Sweet mate, a FREE esky!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

Today I realised that the most accurate portrayal of horse racing in film is in fact the scene from Gladiator where he yells "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?"

really? I thought of the godfather

Back in the day when victoria still had a container levy people used to make 20$ or so going around picking up cans after the footy. Of course this was back when 20$ was a decent amount of money.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hey man, 20 dollars could buy me a Bonds twin pack of underwear. Capitalism at work.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
My sister went to Groove In The Moo and discovered that for every aluminium can you returned to the kiosk, they gave you a dollar.

Her and her friends made about $450 from picking up cans all night, and then went out for a huge breakfast the next day.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Reading that, I couldn't help but think that it was a total waste of time and money for everyone involved to send a $200 debt to a collector. The debt collector probably purchased the debt for under $100, and the cost of recovery would be more than anything they could potentially hope to recover.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

Reading that, I couldn't help but think that it was a total waste of time and money for everyone involved to send a $200 debt to a collector. The debt collector probably purchased the debt for under $100, and the cost of recovery would be more than anything they could potentially hope to recover.

It's the principle that matters, we can't have children getting free educations.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."

NTRabbit posted:

Four candidates for Mayor of the City of Onkaparinga, and the least objectionable one can't spell or punctuate in his candidate statement.

Maybe next council elections I should run on a platform of seizing territory from neighbouring councils and ejecting foreign usurpers, the paperwork can't cost that much.

Oh, hey there fellow Onkaparinga goon.

Yeah, a choice between two former Liberal MPs and two people who can't spell. We do have two Greens running for council though so it's not a total wash.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Welfare Lobby posted:

Oh, hey there fellow Onkaparinga goon.

Yeah, a choice between two former Liberal MPs and two people who can't spell. We do have two Greens running for council though so it's not a total wash.

:hfive:

Which ones are the Greens? I already filled out my ballot :ohdear:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

NTRabbit posted:

:hfive:

Which ones are the Greens? I already filled out my ballot :ohdear:
There is one running in Wine Coast Ward and Mid South Coast Ward. By the way, we're planning to have another SA Young Greens drinks on the 17th if you want to meet other goons, will post more details soon.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nuclear Spy posted:

There is one running in Wine Coast Ward and Mid South Coast Ward. By the way, we're planning to have another SA Young Greens drinks on the 17th if you want to meet other goons, will post more details soon.

Ah, I'm in Thalassa ward. How young is young these days?

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

GoldStandardConure posted:

My sister went to Groove In The Moo and discovered that for every aluminium can you returned to the kiosk, they gave you a dollar.

Her and her friends made about $450 from picking up cans all night, and then went out for a huge breakfast the next day.

yeah in Europe it's common to pay a $1 deposit, whole gypsy families come to festivals just to do this

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

NTRabbit posted:

Ah, I'm in Thalassa ward. How young is young these days?
We're classified as under 30, which tends to capture the majority of us on here - but maybe we should do a separate Adelaide Goon Meet, there are quite a few of you that we still haven't met from here. The End of Year SA Greens party is happening early December too which should be a fun night, last year was where I met a few goons beforehand for the first time at Nandos.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Greens think I'm an old man :negative:

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Adnar posted:

yeah in Europe it's common to pay a $1 deposit, whole gypsy families come to festivals just to do this

Nah not that much.
It's about AU 15-20 cents per can depending which country you're in, but nevertheless it's a whole loving lot easier to collect cans for cash in Europe than it is in Australia. In Sweden after a large festival the students would round up thousands of cans for about a $500 pay day.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
At the HB festival in Munich this year, it was a 1 euro deposit to get a glass beer stein. Maybe he meant big glasses not cans?

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Anidav posted:

Word on the ground from people I know who work with them. Apparently, useless. BCR might know more than me wherever the beautiful poster is.

I don't know about the main body but the liquor and hospitality division have been a big help to me this year.

urseus
Apr 30, 2002

~*My Little Kony*~

Nam Taf posted:

Today I realised that the most accurate portrayal of horse racing in film is in fact the scene from Gladiator where he yells "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?"

Right? What a poo poo life. Pampered and well fed and surrounded by people who adore you and look after your every need, and all you need to do is run which is what you love doing genetically.

But then I guess it's pretty poo poo after a few years you have to go out to pasture and have sex all the time with hot females. Common. These horses are rock stars. A horse in this wild breaks it's ankle it starves to death in agony.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Suffering exists in nature and hence we should never attempt to minimise it.

An asylum seeker post.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

urseus posted:

Right? What a poo poo life. Pampered and well fed and surrounded by people who adore you and look after your every need, and all you need to do is run which is what you love doing genetically.

But then I guess it's pretty poo poo after a few years you have to go out to pasture and have sex all the time with hot females. Common. These horses are rock stars. A horse in this wild breaks it's ankle it starves to death in agony.

The majority of horses in the racing industry aren't put out to pasture for a luxurious life of stud and hay, they get glued.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

urseus posted:

Unless you're not winning races (which, unsurprisingly to many but perhaps news to you, is the VAST majority of horses). In which case you're off to the local knackery into a tin of Pal.

also I'm not really sure that being whipped and ridden to death (:downs:) from age 2 onwards when horses aren't fully grown until ~4 years counts as being pampered. Maybe if you're into really extreme BDSM or some poo poo?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Common Aussie. Common. Common.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

urseus posted:

vintage urseus. real top shelf stuff

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

urseus posted:

There is so much wrong with this its honestly hard to know where to begin.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Replace 'horse' with 'dog' and you've got yourself a Chris Kenny post.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

quote:

5 Nov 2014 The Australian DAVID CROWE DAVID UREN

Abbott ties reforms to G20 agenda

SAVINGS on health and education have been locked into Tony Abbott’s personal commitments at next week’s G20 summit, as the Prime Minister stands by the unpopular reforms and warns of similar hard decisions in next year’s federal budget.

Mr Abbott told The Australian yesterday that price signals on healthcare and market fees for universities would be part of the nation’s formal pledges at the G20 summit in Brisbane, despite attempts in the Senate to defeat the changes. Escalating the dispute over the stymied reforms, the Prime Minister revealed they had been written into Australia’s G20 commitments as part of a broader pledge on reform to public services that would continue into the next May budget. “Fiscal restraint is obviously going to be a continuing theme until such time as the budget is back in strong surplus — and the continued move from short-term consumption spending to long term investment spending will continue,” Mr Abbott said.

In an interview on his agenda for the gathering of 20 world leaders, Mr Abbott played down the chances of a major commitment on climate change and confirmed his plan to make the gender gap on workforce participation a key issue at the event. Central to Australia’s position is a reform commitment meant to add 2 per cent to the economy over five years — a growth impact worth almost $35 billion given that GDP is on track to reach $1.8 trillion by 2018. While a mammoth infrastructure program is meant to contribute half of that, Mr Abbott has now made the health and education efficiencies a part of the other half, alongside changes that could increase workforce participation by women.

Labor kept up its attacks on the government’s savings yesterday by warning that university courses would cost $100,000 if fees were deregulated and that states would lose $80bn in health and education funding over the long-term. Higher education spokesman Kim Carr said: “To get its way, the Abbott government appears to be willing to destroy the very thing it pretends it wants to improve.” Dismissing those arguments, Mr Abbott is making the budget reforms part of his official economic commitment to G20 counterparts including US President Barack Obama, Chinese President Xi Jinping, British Prime Minister David Cameron, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The Australian commitments have been checked by officials from two member nations and will be evaluated annually by the International Monetary Fund and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

“There’s a sense in which every country has submitted its economic proposals to peer review, and for sovereign nations to submit their proposals to peer review is quite a big deal,” Mr Abbott said. He added that the Australian commitments would stand even as they “run the gauntlet” of the Senate. While critics have blasted the government’s plan to raise $3.5bn from a GP co-payment and save $5bn by deregulating universities, Mr Abbott emphasised the need for productivity gains in health and education. “The big mistake that we have made for quite a long time, at least since the Whitlam era, is to conflate reform in these areas with more spending,” he said. “I guess you can always find things to spend your money on, but I don’t think the most urgent need in these areas is more spending.” Mr Abbott said Australia’s commitment at the G20 would be to promote growth through private investment rather than relying on public outlays. “Lower taxes, less regulation and long-term fiscal discipline are at the heart of our plan,” he said. “So deregulating the university sector, price signals in the health system, injecting higher productivity into largely public-sector-dominated parts of the economy like health and education, these are important elements of our overall economic plan to boost growth.”

Other nations are making similar commitments to be publicly released when the G20 summit ends on November 16, formalising a “Brisbane Action Plan” that would add $2 trillion to the global economy if all nations delivered on their promises. The Australian revealed on Monday that countries had already negotiated a new commitment on women and work, setting a target to reduce the gender gap in workforce participation by 25 per cent by 2025. Mr Abbott said yesterday that this would be Australia’s main proposal to tackle labour market reform — one of the subjects in the G20 talks throughout this year — and that his paid parental leave scheme would be one of the ways to reach the target. “When it comes to female participation we’ll be spruiking our fair-dinkum paid parental leave scheme and the need for a more flexible child care system which is perhaps not as institutionally oriented in the future as it has been in the past.” The Prime Minister said he wanted the government’s childcare reforms, which will respond to a Productivity Commission report handed to the government last week, to make it easier for childcare operators to reflect the “24/7” nature of the contemporary workplace.

Climate change negotiations have overshadowed some of the summit preparations as some nations, including France and the US, seek to put the issue on the agenda even as Mr Abbott emphasises energy efficiency instead. Mr Abbott acknowledged that French President Francois Hollande, who is hosting a crucial UN summit on climate change in Paris late next year, might raise the subject to encourage world leaders to make big commitments to cut greenhouse gas emissions. “People are able to raise whatever subject they want in whatever forum they’re in — there’s no censorship on anyone,” Mr Abbott said. “My general view is that the G20 is an economic forum. It’s not a security forum, it’s not an environmental forum, so I’ll be focused on economic issues.”
How you increase productivity by charging a GP copayment is left as an exercise for the terminally credulous.

And yet this bufoon is closing in the polls.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Maybe he should worry about passing some of the last budget before making more big evil promises for the next one to his mates.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
"Price signals in health care" is litteraly your Worth as a human being is only as valuable as your ability to discretionary spend.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Even just the "get to have sex with lady horses until you die, what a life :swoon:" bit: look at how many of the racing horses are geldings. It's often the dads of successful racehorses who get to be put out to stud and have sex with all the lady horses, rather than the winners themselves.

And we are the ones who bred them to have unnaturally long, thin, spindly legs good for running fast but easy to break in the first place. So they want to run, as their genes tell them to, sure, but because of how much we've hosed their genes up it becomes legitimately life-threatening for them.

Wait why am I responding to this

e: also "common" oh my god

e: About that Tony Abbott huh, what a loving grub

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 5, 2014

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Do you guys think Uni fee deregulation will pass? I'm feeling real pessimistic about it

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Amethyst posted:

Do you guys think Uni fee deregulation will pass? I'm feeling real pessimistic about it

It's going to pass, and I'm going to die, suffocated in my own debt.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

e: About that Tony Abbott huh, what a loving grub

He's a right bit of work. Let me tell ya about this Morrison bloke - total waste of space.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sanguine posted:

He's a right bit of work. Let me tell ya about this Morrison bloke - total waste of space.

I don't support assassinating anyone, even Tony Abbotts, Scott Morrisons, or Literal Hitlers, because unlike them I consider literal murder and torture to be morally wrong. But I do strongly approve of giving them a good hard kick in the balls.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hey everyone it is Tony Abbott's birthday today, don't forget to add your birthday wishes to the Liberal Party Facebook page!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I'm guessing that PUP will support deregulation despite their public promise that they won't. The libertarian dude will obviously support it too.

What about Xenophon and Muir?

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

You Am I posted:

Hey everyone it is Tony Abbott's birthday today, don't forget to add your birthday wishes to the Liberal Party Facebook page!

Did Gina don a Marilyn Munroe dress and sing happy birthday to him? Or is it more likely that she'd make him wear the dress?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I don't support assassinating anyone, even Tony Abbotts, Scott Morrisons, or Literal Hitlers, because unlike them I consider literal murder and torture to be morally wrong. But I do strongly approve of giving them a good hard kick in the balls.

It'd be the right thing to do for Team Australia
:australia:

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Amethyst posted:

It will pass. Palmer will continue to talk big about blocking it until he finally decides to vote for it in exchange for a really big chicken sandwich. He will then spend the next few days talking about his great negotiation skills and describe this as a "victory for Australia".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
If they were to pass fee deregulation within, say, the next month, how long do you think it take to kick in and which cohort of students would likely be the last to be grandfathered in under the old arrangements?

My partner has been agitating to return to school to pursue a masters degree but missed the September enrolment this year. I'm trying to determine how hosed we're going to be if she has to wait until next September to apply to start with the January 2016 class...

• Locked thread